Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Thanks for the great writeup, FF. I never bothered with overclocking on my old computer since it was an old Pentium 4 that was already hot and loud as hell even with an aftermarket Zalman cooler. When I built my new PC in February, the 3570K was exactly the same price as the non-K version, so I picked that up and just recently got bored enough to give overclocking a shot.

I care more about having my PC run cool and quiet most of the time, so with that in mind I got it with a Fractal R4 case and a Hyper 212 Evo. Even after overclocking I'm pretty happy with how little change there is over stock noise level. To keep things as cool as possible, I want to set the voltage as low as I can for a given multiplier while still keeping things stable, right? I'm still learning what everything in the Asus settings does and want to make sure I'm doing things properly.

Right now I've got the multiplier at 45x, the voltage offset at +0.095v and LLC set to 25%. I find when I turn off LLC completely, I need to boost the voltage offset even higher to keep stable, and the Vcore at idle ends up being 0.05v higher than if I have LLC turned up a bit. Does this look alright? Also, does it matter at all if the results in IntelBurnTest aren't consistent with each other? I'm about to run a 24 hour test with Prime95, but I want to make sure my initial testing is looking alright.

Edit because I can't do math.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Whoops, meant to say 0.05v variation on idle without LLC, not 0.5.

Anyways, that's great to hear, thanks. I might try going a bit higher, but I'll wait and see what the results of a longer load test are first.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

24 hour Prime95 turned out pretty well:

On my original settings Prime95 ran for about 5 hours before it crashed. The computer itself didn't lock up or error or anything, it just crashed in Windows, which was different from how IBT would lock up the whole thing, but whatever. I bumped up the offset to +0.1v with LLC at 25%, and it went for the whole day without a hitch with minor change in temp/fan speed.

Those max temps hitting 73C shouldn't be a problem as long as the average for the whole period is substantially lower, right? I'm going to play with turning down my case fans a bit more, and I want to make sure I have plenty of overhead to do so.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The computer in our club's astronomical observatory is getting incredibly old, so I'm looking at options to replace it with something new. I'd love to pick up that Microcenter $99 bundle, but being in Canada the closest retail store is 700km away. Are there any downsides or risks involved with using a cheap H81 motherboard for overclocking compared to a Z97 one? If I can find someone who can pick up a bundle in the states and ship it up here I'd prefer to go that route, but I'd like to know if our backup plan won't cause any problems.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I started getting crashes to desktop and the odd bluescreen when playing PSO2:NG recently despite it not being a resource-heavy game. Someone told me that it's because it uses AVX which isn't common, and that would explain why I haven't run into issues with the handful of other games I play that are definitely more taxing.

Ran IBT for the first time since the initial overclock and sure enough it says there's stability issues and stops the test after the second step. Bumped my 3570K down from 4.5 to 4.4 GHz and now the test runs fine with the crashing problems disappearing. Hopefully this isn't a sign that it's on its last legs, but I definitely got my money's worth and then some from it. Thanks for all the extra math you've done for me over the years, little buddy.