Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

grumperfish posted:

Pantyhose stretched over the inside of a case grill/outside a fan will do it on the cheap. I am in no way joking.

For a less budget friendly solution, DEMCIflex is pretty awesome. Fine mesh filter material cut to size with a magnetic border, so it just sort of sits over the intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Bad Coffee posted:

Stupid question - if I overclock a 2500k, will that drastically affect its power draw at idle? I'm a little confused by the distinction between idle/regular/turbo modes and because I usually leave my computer on 24/7 I don't want to mess with anything that could cause it to suck down 200W all the time.

I'm running at 4.6ghz and it draws ~8w at idle.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It never got fixed for Animal, but I agree that most people who still had problems were unlucky outliers

Dogen
May 5, 2002

So like a crazy person I reseated my archon, and I had to buy some new thermal paste (settled on the Noctua stuff since I could get it with free shipping from amazon).

~5c lower under load :smuggo:

Idle's about the same, but it just seems like based on my experience with the 212+, the AXP II on my old 570, and now this I have to seat heatsinks twice to get them going right. I know the noctua goo isn't much better than the thermalright goo the archon comes with, so I'll assume this gain goes to me being less bad at it. Seems like my temps are more in line with a top of the line heatpipe based cooler now, at least.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I want to overclock this 580 some more, but I have to up the voltage to go over ~860 core, and the increase in fan speed just isn't worth it to me. I get the feeling I could hit 1ghz with it if I wanted to.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The process never ends. Even though I'm out of real stuff to tweak, I added my old monitor back into the mix to play video or whatever while I am working, and was delighted to discover I had to do some tweaking to get power saving to work right with two monitors hooked up.

Also I added a webcam to send pictures of me and the cats to my wife (they have appointed themselves my legal assistants since I started working at home), but that didn't involve a lot of tweaking.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

BrandNew posted:

So is there anyway using afterburner to unlock the core/memory clock further? I seem to have gotten my 6870 pretty easily up to 1000 core and 1250 memory with a slight increase in voltage. But thats as far as i can go with afterburner right now.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

This explains how to go past the official limits. May or may not work.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

BrandNew posted:

It did, thanks.

Cool. It's weird those limits are set so low; my 580 is tagged to go up to 1500, as though it could ever get that high.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

redeyes posted:

I haven't overclocked in like 3-4 years so bear with my stupidity but I just got an Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 mobo with a Core 2600k i7. I also got some Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600. I figure I would just go into the cool EFI bios and change the memory speed to 1600 from 1333. So I did that and when I boot back up my clock speed is locked at 3.8Ghz. This cpu is supposed to range from like 3.4Ghz to 3.8Ghz when turbo boosting but now its just stuck on 3.8Ghz. I actually like it like this but all I did was change that memory setting.

What the hell is going on?

Also, if you just want to have your memory be the right speed, you just need ot change it to use XMP in UEFI and it'll use the settings Corsair has provided. ASUS is pretty good about reading XMP in my experience.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

None, really. The best test for a GPU is the games you actually play.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well "air" is a relative term, what kind of cooler do you have?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Hahaha they're $100 on Amazon now.

Not that I need to replace my sweet fast low voltage Mushkin anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Protokoll posted:

$40 at Microcenter and a few other places still. Like I said, I never intended for people to rip the RAM out of their system and go buy this, but if you're buying RAM for a new build and you can get this for $40, you would be stupid not to buy it.

If there is any interest I'll buy out my local Microcenter and ship for actual cost.

No I understand, it's funny how fast the price can get driven up like that. I would definitely consider it were I building new.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Eh 80c is usually a pretty good place to stop from a fan noise perspective. Also, i can't remember if the 79xx are a smaller process are not. If they are the overall temp limit would be lower.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

Amazon has an rear end in a top hat/awesome price matcher that seems to be able to catch trends ridiculously fast and run with supply/demand (rear end in a top hat) but also auto-match big sales (awesome).

When I ordered earlier it was like $56 for an 8GB pack, now it's taken off, screw that - just the first in a series of next-gen RAM, Samsung's been profitable (the only profitable RAM division in the industry in 2011 iirc?) and continues producing high-quality memory, not going to end up costing that much forever by any means.

Really exciting to see the performance potential of low voltage, smaller process RAM, though. Whenever Intel decides consumers have whacked the SB pinata enough and start shipping Ivy Bridge, there ought to be some great memory on the market.

Yep. Maybe they make some in the fab north of town here and I could go steal some. They make the A5 chips for Apple here in town :ninja:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

New nvidia WHQL driver out today, first one in a while.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/Drive...us&type=GeForce

Dogen
May 5, 2002

With that setup, you should be fine. Why the hilarious power supply?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Emanuel Yam posted:

Cause i didnt know any better when i ordered it (it was the suggested model for the moderate gamer) only realising later it might be a _tad_ overkill

Fair enough, I'm not one to judge anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

As crazy as the branding sounds, here it is on Jonny Guru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=205

Well, the 800W version, but for a lesser known PSU, it doesn't seem like a PoS.

Unless you knew that and you just simply meant that you don't need an 850 Watt power supply. Hey, he doesn't mention what graphics card, which is the most power hungry part.

I looked up that same review before I posted my remark, hah. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I would be wary about what other things that might change. It would probably be better to figure out where your CPU multiplier is and change that, since it has an auto voltage setting and all.

edit: wait, that voltage looks high. Unless it's the VID (a mistake I have made before). Also LLC should be off or level 1 or whatever. Maybe those are the settings it loads for that profile since you have it selected? I'd definitely avoid the overclocking profile stuff on that board, if those are the settings it is using.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 22, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The picture I posted is just a general screen-cap of what my BIOS looks like, not my own personal BIOS screen. Thanks for your input, I do have an in windows program that allows me to change the cpu multiplier which the motherboard also came with. Anyone else with any familiarity of the motherboard and/or ASRock Bios and overclocking?

Looks like if you leave optimized CPU OC setting at default, you can just change the CPU multiplier to 40 and you should be good to go. I assume it's not exposed in the screenshot since they have a specific profile loaded.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Uh... so... Intel board. Haven't seen one of those.

So the 37 is what a single core will turbo up to under normal circumstances.

So I guess you want to change the maximum non-turbo ratio to... whatever you want it to be. 40, 42, 44, whatever. I'm just guessing here. And I guess raise the 4 core ratio limit to be the same number.

And if you ended up with the 1600 ddr3, it looks like you're running at 1333. Not that it would be a huge speed difference, but see if you can set the memory timing by XMP. Failing that, manually put it on 1600.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 28, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Interesting. Are they horribly bad or something?

I figured it's from Intel, it can't be bad, it wasn't bottom of the barrel, and it had positive reviews. And it was a P67.

Edit: Oh, and that makes sense. It's set to turbo up to 3.7, but it runs non-turbo at 3.3. Got it.

Well, I don't know about any other aspect of it, but it sure doesn't have the easiest to navigate interface there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

1.38 is I believe the 24/7 safe max.

Voltage adjustment seems to fluctuate on MSI boards by board and BIOS release, so... I dunno. Can you set it to auto? Make sure if you do that it's not juicing you with 1.4+ or the like. Make sure your power saving features (C1E, EIST) are enabled.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Those are both fine.

I think you might have to just deal with a fixed voltage if you want to go higher, this is why I hate MSI boards.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They have a history of doing stuff like that to improve their benchmarks for reviews.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just to bring this thread back to life, I just installed a Seasonic Platinum 1000.

Upgrading from a Corsair AX850.

I think I have a problem :ohdear:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Spending too much money on power supplies, especially when I already had an extra fancy one.

I blame finally having disposable income after several years of school.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Unnecessary large/expensive power supplies are probably the biggest wastes of money in the entire PC component world. Somehow my cheapo Corsair 650W has held up just fine for many years on heavily overclocked setups with four HDs and overclocked SLI across multiple machines, and that's probably overkill anyway. I'm sure the people who build $200+ power supplies are laughing their asses off every day when they walk back and forth between the bank and their mansions.

They're magnificently built and engineered (well, some of them are), but in large part unless you are running three video cards, incredibly unnecessary.

Also the people who actually build the things live in Foxconn-esque dorms, you are probably thinking of the people who own the companies that sell the things. But your point is well taken.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

movax posted:

I have a AX750, which I probably do not really need. It was on sale though! And 80 PLUS Gold!

(really, my parent's machine needed a new PSU so I decided to snag a new one to replace my 500W NeoPower that had 3 12V rails)

I ended up with the 850 in probably the same sale because I said "what the hell, it's only $10 more!"

craig588 posted:

I pulled a 1000 watt power supply from a Dell machine with a bad motherboard that was getting thrown out. It's still with me 4 years later.

The actual reason I came to post was to talk about noise. If you're trying to quiet down your case by replacing fans don't ignore your older "quiet" fans. I replaced almost every fan in my computer before I thought to try unplugging an old Sunon that was originally nearly silent. Visually it wasn't doing anything weird but it made a terrible whine that I couldn't pinpoint.

The worst part was I cut up the fan shrouds on my videocards so I could disable the stock fan and run really slow 120mm fans on them. At least they're 20 degrees cooler now.

If you buy pretty good fans in the first place, especially with a sealed bearing (FDB type) you avoid a lot of these problems over the life of the fan.

Pretty good advice when de-noising an old system, though

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Same problem with my MSI one. Up the voltage, problem solved. Also going to stock clocks would probably fix it. Seems to be an inherent problem with factory OC 570s. Mine would crash in Crysis 2 but nothing else really.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The sad truth is we probably spend more time tweaking our systems than a bunch of hardware news site writers/editors...

Also my old Gigabyte system would sleep fine but randomly wake up for no reason (Wake on LAN, wake on mouse/keyboard, wake on anything all turned off). My asus P67 hasn't had any problems since, as you said, I turned off internal PLL overvolt and I too am running 4.6. I can certainly see some of the tweaks required to get to 5+ causing problems, but... yeah.

Honestly I am usually running something in the background anyway so I almost never sleep it, but good ol SNB power efficiency makes me feel less guilty about it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well my boss got a kill a watt for work and I tested my overclocked 580 GTX/2500k setup to see how much of my 1000 watts of platinum power are being used under a full load of crysis 2.

The answer is, about 400, or a good chunk less than half. Intelburntest, runs about 215. Full system idles at about 95. At least the fan never comes on, I guess. Impulse buys :sigh:

Never read hardware review sites late at night while on cold medicine.

Also an interesting note, the dynamic VRM phase turning off dealie that came with this video card actually does save about 4 watts of power, I just assumed it was negligible.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I got the first one for free, and it's a fancy special edition one that they already stopped making, so I would have to be running mismatched.

No, I'll just grab a couple of 680 GTXs eventually. Probably should get a nicer second monitor first.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

680s? Nah, to make use of that power you want to downgrade to 480 SLI.

Yeah, I have a case absolutely packed with hard drives, an unlocked Radeon 6950 and an overclocked 2500K, and it doesn't burn through all that much power. I think the Seasonic X-660 running it is basically the perfect size for it. I'm pretty sure my (don't laugh) Radeon 2900XT used more power.

Yeah I went from an old 620hx to an 850ax to a purchased under the influence seasonic platinum 1000 :sigh:

On the plus side it doesn't heat up at all under any load I can throw at it, keeping the bottom part of the case cool. Strangely the 850ax would still get fairly hot.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I have an old XS 1500 or something that used to be a server backup, which again, overkill. Also christ I think the battery in it is 10, but the last time I really tested it (hurricane Ike) it still charged our cell phones no problem until the power came back on, and I'm not getting any warning lights...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably so, sounds like the thermal pad or paste application crapping out on your CPU HSF is the likely culprit.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I generally notice the most improvement in about 24 hours. Not sure about AS5 but a lot of people also say it's not so much time as it is cycles of load/idle changing the temp that gets paste working.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I noticed that with the latest BIOS (2301 I think?) my p8p67 pro takes more steps from 1.6 to 4.6. I couldn't figure out if the BIOS was different, or there was some kind of setting I forgot to change, but I hadn't seen it do that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The offset as I understand uses whatever the board would use by default, +/- whatever you specify additionally, so maybe your + is really insane or something.

Since it still uses auto as a basis, it will change in response to your max clock multiplier as well.