Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Animal posted:

Looks like watercooling is gonna become hip again for a lot of people

Well, if you want to do zany overclocks custom water loops are the way to go. For off the shelf solutions a good air cooler still beats a good water cooler any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Thermalright CLEARLY has the best looking fans.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Did you cut the mesh out? Can't see that mattering.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just for reference, my wife's best friend has a 14 month old that crawls around and is pulling up, and the baby's pop has a 650D with the window just sitting on the floor. Worst I think that has happened is she has accidentally turned off the computer (she likes the lights :) )

Dogen
May 5, 2002

tijag posted:

This is a good question. Although for me I'm not sure it matters. I have got my i5-3570k OC'd to 4.5ghz on all 4 cores with OCCT going for 10 minutes without any errors.

That's long enough for me to be comfortable with the OC.

highest temp was 64C on one of the 4 cores. Offset voltage is +.060.

I'm thinking later [after a few weeks] I'll check it again, and if it's still looking pretty good I might try to push the voltage a bit more and get to 4.7ghz. My CPU VCORE voltage was 1.16v at the highest. It idles at 0.98V.

This is a good start right?

Pretty darn good temps for 4.5, yeah.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Hiyoshi posted:

So what you're referring to is the voltage difference between an intense 100% load and a light 100% load rather than the difference between a 0% load and 100% load, correct?

Basically, yes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Entreri posted:

I'm upgrading from my stock E8400 and looking to get into overclocking with my next processor. Should I be looking at the 2500k SB or the 3570k IB?

Whichever is cheaper.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Temps seem a little high for that overclock, but totally fine. Just keep an eye on them and your voltage if you bump it up. I don't see any reason not to go on and try it at 44.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

zenintrude posted:

I have a Hyper 212 EVO installed... is it likely that I applied paste incorrectly, or is my silly case to blame?

It would either be the former, or that IVB just runs a bit hotter (though at that voltage I wouldn't think it would be that warm, but again it's not really anything to worry about). You can try cleaning and reseating it if you want to, but as long as you don't kick it much up over 72c (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this for IVB) on your hottest core, it's fine.

Your case, while goofy looking, seems to have ok airflow.

zenintrude posted:

I used this, but it shows VID rather than Vcore... while HWiNFO64 was displaying my system at a VID of 1.27V, CPU-Z showed that my Core Voltage was 1.17V.

Per the OP, it seems that the Vcore number the the one to pay close attention to, unless I'm misunderstanding things.

hwinfo64 shows both vcore and VID. Hell, it shows pretty much everything. Vcore is what you want to look at, though.

I think aisuite only shows the CPU package temp, which is somewhat lower than even the coolest core. Since you are most concerned with the warmest core, you need to be looking at something like hwinfo64 to get a baseline.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Is it normal to have a fairly consistent 10 degree difference between cores at idle on IB? Or did I gently caress up my thermal paste application?

Nah, the difference on my SNB is like 7C at idle. There's the one stupid hot core and the one core that lives next to the iGPU and uses it like an extra heat sink.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The best GPU cooling setups are still heat pipe, though. Vapor chamber just gets along real well with the default "blower exhaust all heat out of the computer because we don't trust the end user to have any airflow" design.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

Man, an extender for that ought to be packaged with PSUs. I always have to do some goofy poo poo like run it alongside the rear fan and tighten it to the fan with a zip-tie or something like that. And in this case, as a fellow NH-D14 (:love:) owner who did not plug in the 8-pin 'til the mobo and PSU were installed, let me tell you, plugging that barely-long-enough fucker in... was an unpleasant experience.

See with the Archon your hand has plenty of room to grab the plug, and with the 650D and a seasonic based PSU there is plenty of room for the 8-pin to be pulled behind the motherboard tray :smugdog:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

KillHour posted:

Noctua:

Airflow 110,3 / 92,3 m³/h
Airflow with U.L.N.A. 83,7 / 63,4 m³/h
Acoustical Noise 19,6 / 19,8 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with U.L.N.A. 13,2 / 12,6 dB(A)

Archon:

Fan noise: 19~21dBA
Airflow: 56~73CFM

:smugdog:

More like 19-23dBA
Airflow: 38-84CFM

And I got two of those fans, so however you compound those numbers together :smugdog:

They're practically silent under load despite what the 23dBA might suggest.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If there's one thing we can probably all agree on, it's that nickel plating is purty

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Vinlaen posted:

I'm using an i5 2500k on an ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard and I'd love to reach 5.0 GHz.

Right now I'm at 4.5 GHz with 1.285v (manual) and LLC set to Ultra-High. (is this bad?)

What are my next steps to reaching 5.0 GHz?

I'm using a Thermaltake TRUE heatsink which I think might be limiting me but I don't know...

Please read the OP

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Allow me to be the lone voice advocating for needless fiddling.

You know you want to.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

chippy posted:

I have what I think are high temps on my 3750K at stock speeds. The cooler is a Hyper 212 Evo and I'm seeing idle core temps of around 36 degrees and 60-65 under full load. This isn't leaving me a lot of headroom for overclocking, and for that CPU and cooler at stock speeds, these seem high, are they? Case is a Fractal R3 with the fans in stock configuration.

I'm wondering if I did a bad job of mounting the cooler, I always find them really fiddly. I think the first port of call might be to tighten up all the screws, I tightened them until they stopped but I think they could all get a little squeeze extra as I was worried about over-tightening.

Also, the little thumb screw in the middle of the X bracket, should this be tightened? I'm sure the instructions didn't mention it and I assumed it was just to keep the bracket centered, but does it maybe apply extra pressure to the cooler? Does anyone know?

Also I'm getting confusing temperature readings. Asus AI Suite (I expect this is crap) seems to be reporting the package temp instead of core temps, and is much lower, I'm guessing the core temp readings from something like RealTemps are what I should be going by? This is screwing up their "smart" fan control software because the temperature is reading is much much lower than the core temps, so it's keeping the fan at around 600RPM all the time and I'm having to set it manually.

Oh, another thing. When I jack this fan up to 100% duty cycle I'm only getting 1500RPM out of it, this isn't right is it? The spec sheet rates the fan up to 2000RPM.

1) a stable low idle temp basically lets you know you didn't EGREGIOUSLY gently caress something up. those load temps do seem high for stock.

2) asus ai suite is awful for temp readings

3) i would uninstall ai suite and control the fan via the BIOS instead, which I believe also uses the package temp, but you can set it on "Turbo" and call it a day and have it work pretty well in my experience.

4) assuming it's a 212 EVO, it should hit 2000 RPM. see if uninstalling aisuite helps this problem by checking your fan speed during IBT or something.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

chippy posted:

Thanks, I'm going to have a fiddle, disable Fan Expert and try tightening things up. I've just noticed that OCCT is reding 3/4 degrees lower than RealTemp, any idea which is the more trustworthy?

edit: Although core 0 keeps getting "stuck" on 29.8 according to OCCT while RealTemp is still reading it fine. Weird.

Hwinfo64 has been consistently accurate for me, and is generally recommended in this thread for monitoring during testing

Dogen
May 5, 2002

From what I remember the center screw is there to apply pressure, but it's not adjustable. The center screw on my heatsink (Thermalright Archon) is adjustable and came with a goofy little wrench so that I can adjust the tension while mounted; however, the minimum force is the Intel spec so I hesitate to mess with it.

My best advice is to just remove it, clean it real good, and try again, at this point.

Maybe they changed up fans? Or maybe the fan RPM sensor is wrong? Who knows. Are you sure you have the CPU fan plugged into the right mobo header and you aren't looking at a case fan, or something?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Eh you might consider just replacing the cooler, that design isn't so great anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

CancerStick posted:

It's definitely on my list, mainly because I don't like having it blowing up and waiting for the inevitable fan to die again.

But, for the time being, are the temps fine, if maybe a little high? Could I get by with just letting it go and watching it to make sure it doesn't go up much more?

Or should I take her off and reapply some paste and see if it goes down.

Yeah you're fine just replacing the fan in the meantime, those temps are fine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm not around any windows machines right now, but my guess is that there is some setting under maximum performance (or whatever the no power saving options tier is called) that says "processor throttling: never", or words to that effect. I assume balanced is the default setting and you had switched it to something else.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Last one's from April, I think.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alereon posted:

Xbitlabs has posted a round-up of 135-150mm fans (practically, a bunch of 140mm plus the Thermalright TY-150). Predictably, the winners were the Thermalright TY-150 and the Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition. The TY-150 runs about $20 shipped and the AF140 is about $19. It looks like the AF140 is more expensive in most stores, so the TF-150 will probably be the better deal in most situations where it will fit.

I have two TY-150s on my Archon and the TY-140 that came with my Archon as a rear exhaust and I cannot recommend them enough, although apparently they do not like being mounted horizontally so they aren't good as top/bottom fans.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably tough for a small shop to compete with all these pre-done closed loop systems that Corsair and the like put out

Dogen
May 5, 2002

re: crazy fan photo- wouldn't having two fans next to each other like that cause turbulence and probably be less efficient?

Cavauro posted:

I was going to make a joke about wanting 7200RPM fans because clearly it's fine since hard drives go that fast. But I noticed Delta already makes them faster than that at 92mm.

I had an 8000 RPM delta 80mm back in the day. Man I was a dumb kid.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

John McCain posted:

Not if they're designed properly. That's (almost) what axial-flow compressors are, after all.

Right, but I meant in this specific case where you're just screwing two 120mm fans together and none of that is taken into account.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think he posted in The Walking Dead TTG game thread semi-recently

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's not even as good as an Evo, so... yeah :confused:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Seeing that sexy looking new closed loop thing from Swiftech (H220) has me thinking about looking at water cooling for the first time in years, since it seems like you get the performance of a custom solution, the ability to open it up if one were to say acquire a 780 with waterblock down the road, and how the pump(!) and fans have PWM for noise control.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alereon posted:

I've also been looking at the Corsair H110, their newest and highest-performing water cooler. I'm still not sure if any of the dual-fan water coolers can beat air at the same noise level, I have to think that if they could there would be a comparison showing that somewhere. I know the Swiftech H220 can beat high-end air, but it is a giant triple-fan setup.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6716/closing-the-loop-ii-new-liquid-coolers-from-corsair-and-swiftech/6

The H220 is a new dual fan design, as opposed to the H20-H220.

The pump is louder, but more effective, and also you can turn it down via PWM apparently...

edit: That anandtech review has it showing 30dba under both idle and load, also

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 17, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alereon posted:

Sorry, I got confused about Swiftech models, though on further review I probably wasn't even thinking of the H2O-H220 when I wrote that. I think you're giving the Swiftech H220 a bit too much credit here, it seems to epitomize the problems with water cooling: low performance, high noise, and a high price. The Anandtech review notes that the pump is very noticeable even at the lowest settings, and do keep in mind that because of how they did the measurements ALL products tested that aren't jet engines came in at <30dba so that doesn't tell you very much. The upgradeability of the H220 also seems overblown since the only component you can re-use for a graphics card is the pump, you still need a new radiator to dissipate 3-4X the heat of a CPU.

http://www.xcpus.com/reviews/swiftech-h220-with-gpu-loop-added/2

They just slapped a waterblock on a GTX680 and ran some tests, so I don't really think you need another rad. I was thinking if one wanted to buy a GTX 680 or 780 whenever they come out from EVGA with one of their full coverage waterblocks preinstalled it would be cool, but yeah rest of your points taken- there is just no getting past pump noise with anything.

I think I am just sad that I have this system pretty much as far as you can go within the bounds of quiet and need something to tinker with :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I was thinking of an EVGA water block model, they are full coverage as well. I glued heatsinks to VRM once in my life, never a loving gain.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I flipped the top fan on my 650D to intake and slapped one of those demciflex filters on it a while back and the case interior is near pristine, which I attribute to both positive pressure and having all filtered intakes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

GB_Sign posted:

OK, put my stock setup through the paces to make sure it is good and stable. I think I am ready to start overclocking CPU and GPU. Right now the OP says updates are pending for the Ivy Bridge setup, is there anything special that needs to be taken into account other than what is stated for overclocking Sandy bridge? I thought I remembered reading that IVB should be limited to 1.2V-1.25V? Also, is it better to focus on CPU and then GPU or the other way around?

1) The OP hasn't been updated but this post in the thread has what you want: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465021&pagenumber=9#post403126848

2) Doesn't really matter, just don't do both at the same time. Get one stable and then do the other.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm now even more interested in the Swiftech 220 (the newer one)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Good "I don't give a poo poo about money but I like quiet" heatsinks would also be something like a Thermalright Archon or a Noctua DH14. Bigger, slower spinning fans cooling a larger fin array. Set something up like that with a fan profile and you'll never hear it

You'll still hear a 212 when it starts going, though it is by no means bad.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The newer ones do. I think the older one was more of a pain. Easier than the weird scissor bracket and tightening nut thing that my original Archon uses (I think Thermalright made some improvements for the later revisions)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They did starting with the 2011 compatible ones I think.

My Archon does have the system you describe, I am just not a fan. I think they have changed it up to make it better since then, new revisions of the Archon and some others are out early this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Benjamin Black posted:

Hey, remember that TOVERCLOCKER thing I mentioned? While the BIOS won't let me take the CPU ratio above 38, this utility will. Should I try it?

If I raise CPU Ratio to 40, what should I raise CPU Clock to?

CPU Ratio is at 36 currently, and CPU Clock at 100.4 MHz

Don't change it. Little gain and SB/IB don't take kindly with it being fussed with.