Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah at that level you shouldn't have to mess around with voltage or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Animal posted:

What benefit do you get from that? Isnt it still pathetically slow for games?

Up to 33% faster! (33% of garbage is still pretty bad)

Does it make quicksync transcoding any faster? That would almost be sort of cool.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Finally, my Archon purchase looks smart!

Although I have no plans to upgrade from my 2500k, still going strong at a middling 4.5.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Martello posted:

Oh and another question - if I update my BIOS will it lose all the current overclocking settings? I checked the ASUS website and I'm not running the most current BIOS.

Yep, take it as an opportunity to do better! I mean, if you really need something in the BIOS update. Frankly if everything is working fine, who gives a poo poo?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Do you have LLC turned on or anything? I don't know that it would cause a spike that high, or if the spikes it causes in vcore are perceptible, just thinking aloud.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Can you bump it down to 4.4 and turn off LLC and call it a day, or is still not stable without it at that speed?

I totally understand the impulse to fiddle, I kept shooting for 4.5ghz stable for a loooooong time before I finally pulled it off with some magic voodoo seasoning mix of settings that I really have no idea what in the hell made it work, but if it's really spiking your vcore that high, and you don't know how long it might be staying there, that ain't good.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's quite possible. I assume you're using hwinfo64. Are you using the most up to date version? It gets updated frequently with better support for newer boards.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

Now that you mention it, my fans do seem to be spinning backwards.

So is it producing negative heat? Can you cool beer in some kind of cooling loop?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can get a proper pwm y splitter for like $6 that plugs into CPU_FAN (I'm using one on my archon to power 2 TY-150s). I didn't even know about these molex connector types, but I guess that's be for a 3 fan d14 or silver arrow or something?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

go3 posted:

Schrodinger's CPU

We observed it and compressed the waveform, though, so not anymore.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah considering your chip and its ability to overclock you are probably a good candidate for an H100 or expensive air cooler.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah if you want accurate numbers use hwinfo

Dogen
May 5, 2002

program666 posted:

I don't get it, maybe it's because I changed some bios setting that is causing this and forgot about it? Reading about other people messing with adaptive mode on this very mobo seem to cause completely different results. I let my processor frequency fixed at 40x 100, should I change this somehow?

Is there some reason you want it at a fixed frequency? Most people just change the turbo target and raise the offset voltage to allow their cpu to hit that target.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My IB chip cools for poo poo so the best I can do is 4.2 but I can actually undervolt at that speed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's similar. For non pushing the envelope gains just increase your turbo multiplier until you hit a temperature limit or crash IBT and be done with it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I usually just take out the case fan in that situation.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Unless you want to spend a lot of time for not much extra gain, just leave everything stock and change the multiplier to about where you'd like to end up (4.4, maybe 4.5)

Run some intelburntest loops and see what your temps look like, or if it crashes.

If it crashes but your temps looked ok, change your voltage offset. Just don't go over like, 1.3 probably.

Repeat and see if crash and/or temp too high.

One core is always cooler because it has an inactive igpu next to it, probably, soaking up some heat.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ugh I can't remember if overclocking the bclk was a thing still back then or not, but the cpu multiplier is of your bclk to reach the clock speed, so if you don't mess with your bclk it'd be 31-32 multiplier (times 133) on the cpu to get up to 4.2ghz.

Memory clock speed is important if you can't set it and the bclk at different frequencies. Hopefully, doesn't matter in your case.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lockback posted:

If it works and especially if someone else suggested it it's probably fine. Just a heads up on later architectures you usually don't touch FSB at all but I just don't remember if that was common. If you are having stability problems that is probably where I'd say to start clocking down, but if your stability is fine then you're fine.

It was very common back in the olden days, and if you couldn't set memory speed different to your FSB you had to have fast memory, which is what I think Chumbawumba was faintly remembering. This BIOS has a different DRAM setting so it doesn't matter.

I'd turn on C-state stuff to see if it fucks anything up, and if it does just forget it since as you said your low use case means it doesn't make a big difference.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I used to do OCing on PIII and P4 days when the FSB was the only option, but I thought the i-series did away with that for the most part. I didn't do any OCing with Generation 1 of the core series so I was just surprised FSB OCing was so prevalent then.

You could do like a tiny amount in Sandy Bridge and then it totally died after that

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I went back and enabled all those options again but then Windows wasn't showing the 4.0ghz overclock. Maybe it just wasn't reporting it because it was in a low-power state but I went back to disabling it just in case.

So overclocking is pretty much done these days? Or it's just done differently?

Windows was probably reporting your current clock speed, use something like hwinfo to see what it gets up to.

These days overclocking a CPU is just about having an unlocked part and changing the multiplier and having good enough cooling. And if you feel like it, fiddling with voltage LLC some but generally gains from that kind of thing have gotten harder to come by. No fiddling with the FSB anymore.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 30, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They do thermal throttling as well, so you might be losing speed with that much of an increase. Maybe overclocking overrides that though? I haven’t seen much on OCing them yet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Warmachine posted:

edit: Also if you already have a recent 14nm Intel chip with SMT, there's not much of an upgrade. I was upgrading from Ivy Bridge. Most of the notes I've been using for decision-making are on the 9900k, which seems to be roughly equivalent to the 10700k in terms of performance and ability.

I have a 6700k and it just doesn’t seem like the 10x00 is quite worth the trouble, especially since the socket is going to last for this and I think the next chip. I was thinking about upgrading since I just got a high refresh monitor but I think I’m going to keep waiting another year or two.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My case is full of spectre pro 230s and a couple thermalright TY 150s push/pull on my venerable Archon heatsink. System makes a nice “whoosh” when it kicks into gear, I feel like it’s the computer equivalent of a Rolls Royce accelerating.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I upgraded from a 6700 to a 12900 and am a little baffled about how different the overclocking stuff is with the two kinds of cores and the way turbo boost works now and etc. Should I even bother? Anyone have any guides? I tried reading an asus specific one and I caught some of it, but a lot of it was Greek to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I finally replaced my long serving Archon with a NH-D15 because I didn’t want to gently caress with any potential socket incompatibility. It’s been with me since my 2500K so it’s a little sad.

Honestly I haven’t found anything to throw at the CPU yet to see much difference anyway from my 6700K, I just can’t resist the urge to tweak things…. But maybe it’s not worth it in this case.