Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't overclocked in like 3-4 years so bear with my stupidity but I just got an Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 mobo with a Core 2600k i7. I also got some Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600. I figure I would just go into the cool EFI bios and change the memory speed to 1600 from 1333. So I did that and when I boot back up my clock speed is locked at 3.8Ghz. This cpu is supposed to range from like 3.4Ghz to 3.8Ghz when turbo boosting but now its just stuck on 3.8Ghz. I actually like it like this but all I did was change that memory setting.

What the hell is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Factory Factory posted:

Whenever you overclock an Asus board, its internal logic goes "Welp, gonna get ready for all overclocking!" It's set the Turbo multiplier to "by all cores" mode, which locks all of the cores to the same frequency at the same time, and it's raised the power limits on Turbo Boost so that the maximum Turbo state is always on (except when idle, presumably).

This rules actually. I love being stuck at 3.8Ghz with no stupid declocking. I do low latency audio recording and this is extremely useful. Thanks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got the Cryorig H5 and I don't know if I like it. It doesn't seem to cool as well as the reviews say, regardless, I turbo charged it with 2x 120mm Delta 4000RPM fans. Not too quiet at full load but it can handle 5ghz.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 25, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Does it work better if you remove the gap (or seal it) between the one fan and the heatsink?

Jeez 4KRPM lol. I remember using those.

You are totally right. I put some rubber thingys to space it out and dampen the vibrations but that created that gap which is too big.
[edit] Removed rubber thingys, set voltage offset to hit 1.33v, set cache to 4.5Ghz, AVX offset to 2. All stable.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 26, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

It's fine. No real workload will ever come close to Prime95 in terms of power usage. 260W looks really high too, most of the AVX test loads I've seen with similar settings would max out around 180-190W, so I'm not even sure it's measuring correctly.

How are you cooling that? [edit] Oh Dark Rock Pro. Good temps for AVX load for sure.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 28, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Question about LLC (load line calibration). I have an Asrock z370 Extreme 4 and have been experimenting with LLC settings. Normal setting is 3 (medium) and at 100mv offset I get right under 100c throttle temps at avx loads. I tried LLC 1 and temps skyrocketed yet the voltage went down to around 1.25v.

Should I try say LLC 4 to drop temps even more? Should I be concerned with VID being higher than LLC 3 max at 1.44ish

I figured LLC 1 would just stop the vdroop but it seems to crank temps to insane levels. I don't get it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

I have a rudimentary understanding of LLC so please take this advice with a grain of salt and maybe look around more online or wait for someone else on here who knows better to confirm but:

The sharp end of LLC settings will actually create a slope that is positive, so your Vcore ends up higher than your VID.

Are you monitoring your VID and Vcore? Adjust your LLC until they are close to the same. I would err on the LLC setting that gives you the closest Vcore just under your VID.

I was measuring VID. Which at LLC level 4 is now up to 1.48v?! at lidle, 1.44 at load. I am not even sure how to figure out what vcore is set to since I have the BIOS set to offset voltage.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

What software are you using? Try HWinfo64.

Was using CoreTemp but I have HWinfo64. I can't seem to find vcore in here..

[edit] Ah found it under motherboard sensors. Idle is around 1.0v to 1.28. AVX load is around 1.36v vcore. VID reports like 1.44v

Sound safe?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 20, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah sounds like you're drooping from 1.44v to 1.36v. You could try one setting more LLC if you want your Vcore to be closer to your VID I think but I haven't checked if 1.44 is the safe voltage for your chip or anything.

e: If you look at your vcore in HWinfo64 when it's idling and then see it drop when you start a stresstest that'll also show whether you're drooping. This won't work if you have c-states enabled I think so you'll have to disable them first.

On my board LLC 4 is less than LLC 3. LLC 1 is the least Vdroop. LLC 2 and 1 are WAY hot on my CPU, it throttles instantly at AVX load.

quote:

As long as you keep that below 1.4v you're good. VID isn't a real voltage so that being high doesn't matter, and idle Vcore isn't that important as long as it's not super high.
Gotcha. I was totally stable until I tried to sleep and then the system died. drat, gotta raise vcore a little.

For reference, this is an 8700K with no fixed voltage set, just an offset of 150mv @5Ghz AVX also at 5Ghz, Cache clock at 4.7Ghz. I am also running Windows 10 pro for Workstations and no joke, running benchmarks with Ultimate Performance mode nets say %1-%5 performance increase vs Always On/Performance power mode. I run aircooling which is a Cryorig H5 with a 140mm static pressure fan. I did get my Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz (el cheapo) memory to CAS 14 @ 3200 which made me a little happy.

Now I am on to Memory Command Rate. 2T vs 1T. I am not sure if this is even worth messing with but I have tried a bunch of settings at 1T and bluescreen at login. I am not sure if say CAS 16 at 1T is better or worse than CAS 14 at 2T. Maybe a goon will know.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 20, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

1T command rate has always been a marginal latency improvement in exchange for a variable but decidedly not-worth-it hit to stability. Don't do it unless you're playing with benchmarks only.

Got it. I couldn't get it to work anyhow. I settled on CAS 14 @ 3200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cat doter posted:

Welp nevermind it crashed after about half an hour, a hard crash this time. I'll have to give up on the 4.7ghz dream and drop down to 4.6 I guess.

Look for LLC level. That controls the VRMs.