Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
I need to make more people aware of this memory. I've been looking for overclocking memory for the X79 build I'm starting in one month and I came across this:

I ordered 3 DIMMs for ~$60 to test on my X58 platform before I commit to using it for my upcoming build and holy poo poo no one should ever buy any other memory again. I'll link to some threads with results (here and here) -- I can run this kit at 7-8-7-24 1T at 1600 MHz/1.4 V and, more impressively, 10-10-10-28 1T at 2133 MHz/1.5V.

That's right, this kit performs identically to this $300 Corsair kit for almost one quarter of the price. Mine is rock solid stable at the aforementioned timings/frequency/voltage. You'd be purposely handicapping yourself if you bought any other RAM.

$40 for 2 4GB DIMMs, but retailers are quickly realizing how good it is and raising the prices so order fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Dogen posted:

Hahaha they're $100 on Amazon now.

Not that I need to replace my sweet fast low voltage Mushkin anyway.

$40 at Microcenter and a few other places still. Like I said, I never intended for people to rip the RAM out of their system and go buy this, but if you're buying RAM for a new build and you can get this for $40, you would be stupid not to buy it.

If there is any interest I'll buy out my local Microcenter and ship for actual cost.

Protokoll fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 20, 2012

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Stress testing my new rig at stock before I start pushing each component and I'm finding something strange. Each core will run at 0.85-0.9V at idle and 1.1V at nominal load, but as soon as I start stressing a core, the CPU will ramp up to 1.35V which is Intel-recommended 24/7 safe voltage for SB-E. I thought this is a UEFI setting as enabling XMP on my motherboard basically forces the chip to run at 1.35V 24/7 (even at idle), but the only features I've really tweaked are turning on Enhanced Turbo and turning off EuP 2013.

Is it possible MSI's Enhanced Turbo is pumping way more voltage through my CPU than it needs to run at stock speeds? I can probably get 4.4-4.5 GHz out of that voltage!

Edit: Turned it off and it was worse. At complete idle the chip was sucking 1.27V on most of the cores.

Protokoll fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 17, 2012

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Overclocking a 4770K on a Gigabyte Z87 board.

I'm using the following settings:

CPU VRIN Override LLC: Extreme
CPU VRIN Override Voltage: 1.7V
VCore: 1.24V
Ring Voltage: 1.15V
CPU Multiplier: 46X
BCLK: Auto
Turbo: Auto
C1E, C3, C6/C7, and EIST: All Enabled

Chip seems pretty drat good so far, with a stable quick and dirty overclock of 4.6 GHz out of the gate without any fine tuning. Temperatures are all over the place during the AIDA64 stress test, but they're normally 57-70 C, based on the instructions being loaded/run.

How should I go about optimizing this overclock. I might push to see if it's stable at 4.7, but I'm happy with 4.6 right now so I'm also considering dialing back the VCore and upping the uncore to try to get more performance. I'm not too thrilled about using Extreme Vdroop, so I might try dialing that back to Turbo. Thoughts on further optimization before I start tweaking little things for small gains?

Edit: Couldn't resist...stress testing with the same settings at 47X. Still stable. Is this a golden chip?

OK, it needs 1.26V to stay up for >20 min at 4.7. Temps still floating around 70C.

Protokoll fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 15, 2013

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Almost done dialing in my overclock on the 4770K. It's a weird chip because it has ranges it likes and even safe voltages that are outside of the range make it unhappy.

Core: 4.6 GHz
Vcore: 1.270V (1.265 BSOD)
Uncore: 4.3 GHz (4.4 GHz freeze in AIDA64)
Vring: 1.2V (1.22 makes 44 uncore stable, but I'm not comfortable with the voltage)
VCCIN: 1.850V (No difference between 1.9V and 1.850; 1.8V freeze in AIDA64)
LLC: Turbo (might try dropping this to high, though I'll probably have to up the Vcore to 1.275 which is the max I'm comfortable using)
RAM: 2133 MHz 11-11-11-27-2T

Highest temps on the cores are 82-78-79-79 with an average of 68-67-67-63 during AIDA64 stress test with memory.

Anything look awful/look like it can be tweaked further?

18525 in Firestrike without pushing the GPUs too hard. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1188817

Protokoll fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Factory Factory posted:

Ramping VCCin might lower your board-side VRM temperatures a bit, as that would require fewer amps to push the same power. I'm not sure what implication it would have for chip temperatures or stability but I'd like to see! It's spec'd for up to like 2.5V? So you can adjust the crap out of it, at least to 2.0V. That voltage hits the FIVR and is regulated before it goes anywhere else.

You can scale back uncore without performance implications if that'd buy you thermal headroom elsewhere. The base uncore bandwidth was doubled since Sandy/Ivy, in which it was clock-locked to the IA cores. Therefore, you could theoretically leave uncore at stock clocks without bottlenecking anything.
Can you possibly hit 1T on the RAM?

I can probably hit 4.7 @ 1.275V if I leave the cache clock at stock. I dialed in the core clock in about 5 minutes, but messing with everything the get the uncore stable took hours and hours of granular adjustments. Then when I added in the memory, it changed everything again. I might be able to tighten the timings on the memory, but it's a 2x8GB kit as opposed to a 4x4GB kit, so it might be harder with the denser modules.

I might try dropping the uncore down to stock and getting that extra core clock out of the same voltage.