Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Excellent job with the OP.

I'm running a 2600k at 4.5GHz on an Asus Gene-Z mATX motherboard, cooled with a Corsair H60. I like this cooler, helps me keep the inside of my Fractal Define Mini case neat.

On the video card front I'm using an MSI 560 Ti 448 Twin Frozr III. Overclocked to 950/1800/2200. With this overclock its as fast as a stock Geforce 580.

Very happy with my system, and overclocking is not just a neckbeard hobby, it really makes a difference in performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Agreed posted:

Unigine Heaven is great at showing you errors of varying severity. 3Dmark11 is good, too, but running that sequentially is way more of a pain in the rear end than Heaven. The thing to remember though is that DX9, DX10, DX11 are different and your card might wall at different frequencies for them. E.g. my 580 will do about 950mhz in DX9 stably, but 920mhz in DX10, and 925mhz at DX11. Different parts getting stressed. I go with the lowest common denominator because I can't be arsed, personally.

Here are extreme example of Heaven artifacting, one looks more like CPU (disco poo poo popping up) whereas the other... looks like he shouldn't have flashed that 6950, frankly, holy poo poo. CPU and shaders.

GTX 560Ti SLI artifacts in Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJLGBqKywUs

HD6950 (misguidedly, it appears) unlocked to 6970 artifacts in Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5VGkvZcbTk

Those both look like GPU/Shader artifacting to my eyes. Memory manifests as either texture issues, large geometric spaces with peculiar color, or a driver crash (because previous-gen - that's pre-7970 - cards typically used fast GDDR5 but slower memory controllers and overclocking the memory tended to be a bit of a fool's errand).

Edit: Spelling.

Thanks for this tip. DX10 seems to run way hotter than DX11. Thats curious.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bad Coffee posted:

Stupid question - if I overclock a 2500k, will that drastically affect its power draw at idle? I'm a little confused by the distinction between idle/regular/turbo modes and because I usually leave my computer on 24/7 I don't want to mess with anything that could cause it to suck down 200W all the time.

If you leave the power saving settings enabled in the BIOS it will downclock normally. Power consumption at idle should be very small regardless.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dogen posted:

It never got fixed for Animal, but I agree that most people who still had problems were unlucky outliers

Indeed it seems to be some bizarre issue that not even EVGA is willing to touch with your own dick. God knows if its a software issue or a hardware glitch. All I know is that life is lovely now with a 560 Ti 448.

Going back to the overclocking topic, can anyone explain what the is the purpose of auxiliary voltage on MSI video cards? I can't find any good explanation.

Animal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 12, 2012

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

This might be good for you guys needing almost unlimited DRAM clocks. - 8 gigs of DDR3 2133 for less then the 1866 stuff under the same brand. - Today ONLY -

WARNING FOR MOST PEOPLE:

This RAM is 1.6v, you do not need it or want it in your Sandy Bridge build.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

redeyes posted:

This rules actually. I love being stuck at 3.8Ghz with no stupid declocking. I do low latency audio recording and this is extremely useful. Thanks.

3.8 is paltry. Take it to at least 4.2

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Try QuickSync next. If your software is appropriately configurable, it should give 95-99% the image quality (any deficit is a software problem, not something inherent to Quick Sync) at four times the speed without ANY CPU load.

If his CPU was only 45% load then he was probably using Quicksync

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah and I bet Metro 2033 kinda sucks for him now so he really should get another 580, right Dogen?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It's been a mystery how the new tri-gate technology would handle overclocks. I was hoping for better, but it seems it might be worse.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Looks like watercooling is gonna become hip again for a lot of people

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CancerStick posted:

I did the standard 42 overclock for my I5-2500K. Using core temp i had both Counter Strike:Source running and Diablo 3. I was playing CS:S multiplayer while browsing the auction house of Diablo 3 in between rounds.

CoreTemp showed my 4 cores being 67-70 as their high values after 1 1/2 hours.. Is that alright or am i running a risk of blowing it up.

Default cooler? Yeah its fine.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

movax posted:

I have a CNPS9500 sans-fan passively cooling my parents' i5-2500K, keeps it ice-loving cold. Idles at like 26C I think.

How is that possible?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I've been reminiscing the "golden ages" of overclocking. Anyone experiment with peltiers? I remember sandwiching one between my Celeron 366 @ 550Mhz and some :pcgaming: Ultra heatsink. Idle temperatures were almost below zero, but load was worse than the heatsink by itself.

Also this concern about noise didn't exist, at least not among my friends and the message boards I frequented. It seemed to be that the louder your PC was the more hardcore you were

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had two Alpha PAL8045's mounted on two Celeron 366 running at 550mhz on my Abit BP6 :smug:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That is really awesome

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

So my parts are getting here two days early (Yay UPS) and I am wondering how long I should let the computer sit at stock speeds before trying to overclock? I remember hearing something about letting the thermal grease have time to set in or something.

Don't worry about the thermal grease. You do wanna dick around with it for a little bit to make sure its stable at stock clocks, that way you are not troubleshooting inherent instabilities after the overclock busting your head figuring out what you did.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

UndyingShadow posted:

This one is weird as hell. My system is actually UNSTABLE at stock speeds, but runs perfectly at 4.3 ghz.

When I first got my system, I jumped into overclocking immediately, and it was stable at 4.4 (it never quite got stable at 4.5) but when I reset the bios back to stock due to a malfunctioning SSD, I figured "eh, it'll be better to just leave it alone a while)

I kept having random lockups about once a day, but on a whim, I turned my OC back on. Now, it's been stable for a week now.

WTF?

Maybe its downvolting too much. Probably a setting in the BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ok I have my Intel iGPU (HD 3000 graphics) on my i5 2500K up to 1500 MHz, still nice and stable. How much higher can I take it, or is this pretty much it?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/13

Anand took it up to 1550 once, or so it appears....

What benefit do you get from that? Isnt it still pathetically slow for games?