Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

quote:

Intel’s recommended Vcore limit for safe 24/7 operation is 1.38V, and their recommended temperature limit is 72 C on any core. In terms of heat, it’s okay to exceed 72 C for short periods, like when running IntelBurnTest, as long as your “typical” loads (like playing Metro 2033) are 72 C or below.

For voltage, generally you will want to shoot for only 1.35V unless you plan to use LLC to reduce Vdroop, or else a “safe” Vcore during stress testing may turn out to be higher than 1.38V under light or moderate loads. A lot of chips will hit their frequency wall before you reach your voltage limit.

Quick question about this. I recently bought a 2500k and have OCed it to 4.5 for the past week. My voltage goes between 1.3761 and 1.3866. Is this safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Pretty sure it's vcore. The CPU is rarely at 100%. I only use it for gaming. If load line calibration means what I think it means (voltage is adjusted based on how hard CPU is working) then I think so, because when it's idling the voltage is the lower number and when I'm using it the voltage goes up to 1.3866

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Ok, I was totally wrong. That voltage was my VID. I turned LLC on and it went way down when the CPU wasn't working. When I run Prime95 it jumps back up to 1.38. I lowered my offset but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I'm guessing there is a setting I'm missing where-in the motherboard is raising the voltage automatically so I just need to find it. I'm using an Asus p8z68-le by the way. Thanks for the help.

edit: When under full load it seems my VID is 1.38 but my Vcore is 1.44 which is horrible right? I thought VID was the maximum Vcore could be so that doesn't seem right. Turning down my CPU to 44 makes the Vcore go down to 1.38 so I definitely think there's a setting in the bios I'm missing which changes the voltage independent of the offset I specify.

edit2: After googling a bit it seems this motherboard just doesn't have an option to set the voltage and the offset doesn't really work properly :(

edit3: OK I can set the offset to a negative number and that lets me overclock to 45 and still maintain reasonable Vcore voltage (1.32 at 100% cpu load)

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 19, 2012