Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Feedbacker posted:

If I'm planning to overclock a 3750K / Hyper 212 Evo combo, would the 4+1 phase VRM on the Asus P8Z77-M be sufficient or should I be looking at the Asus P8Z77-M Pro?

Specifying things in terms of the number of phases is a bit weird, because it leaves out things like inductor size that tells you how much the supply can actually deliver without having ripple go out of spec.

In any case, the default speed of the 3570K is 3.4GHz, with turbo at 3.8GHz. I don't recall whether intel specifies that the chip will stay within its TDP with all 4 cores in turbo, but let's assume the answer is yes. So let's suppose you hit 4.5GHz with a 10% bump in voltage. Since dynamic power is proportional to frequency and to voltage squared, and your frequency went up 18%, total power consumption would go up 43%.

So if we take a 77W TDP chip and increase its power consumption 43%, we might expect it's new TDP to be 110W. The highest a board has to support to be compatible for ivy bridge is 95W, so you are definitely going to a be a little out of spec but not necessarily by a lot. Of course, there's also the fact that a stronger power supply might have less ripple and could allow the CPU to stay stable at higher clock speeds.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Got my 3570K stable for 24hrs in OCCT at 4.7GHz, but LLC had pushed the voltage up to 1.26V which was a little high, and core temps were passing 75C. I'v now got it at 4.6GHz and 1.22V (same offset but lowest LLC setting) and it looks to be pretty much fully stable. For a modest effort overclock it's not too bad a result, and I think 1.22V is safe enough for ivy bridge, isn't it?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Is there any reason to believe OCCT might be an unreliable way to testing stability? I only ask because it (OCCT) said it detected an error after 17 hours of testing and I'm a just a little frustrated by that. My 3570K is at 4.4GHz, +.060 offset at the moment in a P8Z77-V Pro. Average temps during testing were around 65C.

Should I continue to use OCCT for stability testing or should I switch to something else?

Keep in mind even a stable system will eventually fail a test, especially without ECC ram, but it should be able to reliably do a 24hr test without getting a failure. Given the circumstances, a failed overclock is much more likely than cosmic rays/background radiation flipping a bit in RAM.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I tend to be obsessed with making my computer quiet, and I was a bit unsatisfied with the Noctua NH-D14. Even with the silencing adapters installed and the fans spinning at about 900rpm, it still seemed just a bit too loud to me. Essentially there was a soft whooshing sound that was a bit too noticeable for me.

Anyway, I removed the two stock fans, and instead put in an 800rpm fan I had handy in the middle portion of the heatsink. It was significantly quieter, and my temperatures barely increased. The 3570K hits about 65C under load in a colder room at 4.5GHz with +0.07V and minimum LLC. Definitely something to try if you like your computer to be very, very quiet.