Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zacmaniac
Mar 26, 2005
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask, but since I'm overclocking and having the problem, figure I'll ask. I recently built a computer with the following specs:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.3ghz
Asus p8z68V-LE
8gb Gskill DDR3-1333 Ram
128gb Crucial M4 SSD
HIS Radeon HD 7950

And I don't think I'm getting the performance I should be. All I've really played so far is Skyrim (My resolution is 1080p) and though I am running it on the max settings, it does seem to slowdown a bit, which I didn't think it would with this card. But my biggest concern was when I decided I was going to OC my video card today; I ran 3DMark11 and my score came out way lower than it should be. Looking at comparable systems on their database, people are getting easily above 8,000 points (http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2843486). I realize his card is overclocked some, but I'm running mine at 925 core and 1575 memory and only getting 5587 marks. In addition, my graphics score particularly is much lower than it should be (its at 5478). Any ideas what could be going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zacmaniac
Mar 26, 2005
Yeah, I didn't assume so, it's just an easy way to isolate out that there at least is some sort of problem. And I just ran Skyrim with Fraps on, and it was barely holding steady at 40fps - clearly not what I should be getting.

And it's installed in the top slot.

Zacmaniac
Mar 26, 2005
I actually may have fixed it...I had been using 12.2 drivers since I built my computer, but I uninstalled them and rolled back to 11.12. 3DMark score jumped up by 2000 and Skyrim runs at a constant 60+. Weird that the newer drivers would cause so many problems though.

Anyway, here's my GPU-Z. Does anything look amiss? http://imgur.com/ooHz9

Zacmaniac
Mar 26, 2005
No, when I run the render test it changes to x1 2.0: http://imgur.com/QTqvj

Zacmaniac
Mar 26, 2005
No, I don't. Is there any other way to test it/fix it? I'll go check in my BIOS and make sure there aren't any PCI-E settings set wrong somehow or something.

Edit: Yeah, checked through all the possible settings in my BIOS and the only ones even related to PCI-E were talking about the black second slot.

Zacmaniac fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zacmaniac
Mar 26, 2005
So last night before I went to bed, I restarted my comp, went into the BIOS, didn't change anything and booted into Windows. It showed PCI-E as x16, and games were running well. Then I restarted again this morning and it was back to x1. I returned my card to default clocks, tried putting it in the black PCI-E slot, and my computer wouldn't boot into Windows - it blue screened when I tried. Then I put it back into the blue slot and restarted the computer again, and its been at 16x for the past 3-4 restarts. I'm not sure if it's permanently fixed or not, but it seems to be working well. Is there anything that would be making it change from 16 to 1x seemingly at random? I'm wondering if maybe the Catalyst overclocking software is messing something up.

Also, I do have the latest chipset drivers installed.