Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

JP Money posted:

Holy poo poo this is like MLP zone in here. Are adults actually very seriously into collecting these disfigured dragons?

ADULTS? playing VIDEO GAMES? Well I never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's so surreal that it's Spyro of all things. Next thing we know Crash Bandicoot is going to be the face of SPACEPOGS 2020.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

One and the Same posted:

It's so surreal that it's Spyro of all things. Next thing we know Crash Bandicoot is going to be the face of SPACEPOGS 2020.

Sometimes these things need a known (if disfigured) face to get them to take off. Remember when it was Rayman Raving Rabbids?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

Sometimes these things need a known (if disfigured) face to get them to take off. Remember when it was Rayman Raving Rabbids?

I remember that it was a game, but not that it was some huge thing like this, but I get your point. One day 10, 15 years from now I'm going to casually bring up Spyro in a conversation and she'll say "Oh, you mean like Skylanders?"

I'm not sure what I'd do. I think my pants my spontaneously rise to belly-button height.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Weren't goons (rightfully) decrying this as gimmicky DLC just last year when it was announced? I'm surprised to see people eating it up in this thread; I mean, I guess it's okay if you have kids or something, but as a single adult? :psyduck:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Morpheus posted:

but as far as platformers go

Skylanders is much more of a beat-em-up than a platformer. It doesn't even have a jump button!

On a sidenote, I am really happy that they release Ignitor (previously only available with the 3DS starter pack) as his own separately packaged figure. When Skylanders was first releasing trailers he and Gill Grunt were the characters I was most excited for. So far, the only other characters I've liked enough to purchase their figures were Slam Bam, Wham Shell and Warnado, so it's good to finally be able to pay Activision some more money!

Now if only there was a magical store somewhere that actually had Ignitor left in stock! :argh:

e: Haha man, that whole "No more than two purchases per customer!" thing is happening in the Netherlands as well. Last year I was really expecting this game to bite the dust, but holy smokes Skylanders might actually become the next Pokémon Bakuman. :psyduck:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 3, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

fibblins posted:

Weren't goons (rightfully) decrying this as gimmicky DLC just last year when it was announced? I'm surprised to see people eating it up in this thread; I mean, I guess it's okay if you have kids or something, but as a single adult? :psyduck:

I've been reading this topic, and every other post is about how horrible people are for buying these because it's inhuman dlc made for children.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

JordanKai posted:

Skylanders is much more of a beat-em-up than a platformer. It doesn't even have a jump button!

From what I've read this isn't true for the 3DS version, as its meant to be the platformer counterpart.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've been reading this topic, and every other post is about how horrible people are for buying these because it's inhuman dlc made for children.

No kidding, how dare people like different things!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fibblins posted:

I still am. Cross-platform functionality is cool, though.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

John Romero posted:

All the kids love those HTTD catdragons these days SO GUESS WHAT WE'RE TURNING SPYRO INTO

But I guess it's better to have the guys who made SC2 handle Spyro over the guys who made Blade Kitten

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

I'm sorry you read my post that way; what I meant to say was that I can see the appeal of Skylanders to children in the "wow, cool" sense, but from an adult perspective it's quite clearly a setup designed to sell you less for more. It's good business for Activision, but it's not the kind of behavior I'd want to encourage by giving them dollars.

Skylanders Wikipedia entry posted:

If a character health is down to 0 in the game, that character can no longer play the level. The player has to either play a different character, restart the chapter (level), or wait 15–20 minutes, until that character can be revived again.

That's gold right there. Slowly ramp up the difficulty until people start losing. Since they're already a ways into the game, they'll be more willing to shell out that $8 for an extra life. As an aside, there are currently 32 characters at eight dollars a pop and apparently there are gold, platinum and pearl versions of them too.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Wandle Cax posted:

ADULTS? playing VIDEO GAMES? Well I never!

If you don't think some of the first posts in this thread are man-child levels of creepy I'm really sorry.

EDIT - I'm going to not poo poo this thread up though - there's plenty of people here playing the game for fun or for their kids - I can respect that.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The base game is 50, adventure packs are 10, characters are a further 8-10. For the price of buying one of each of these things you could get a quarter and a dime of good mids so... do that I guess.

edit: My mom told be a few years ago that she wished she hadn't bought all those pokemon cards for me when I was a kid. I still have two binders full of them, and when I think about how much money she (and I) spent on it my head spins. :psyduck:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah, I'm a little dissapointed at how many people dissmiss the whole figurine thing as just sinister DLC for fools. Sure, Skylanders didnt go too far out there with it, but physical game objects can totally add something worthwhile to a games overall experience.

In Japanese arcades they've got an MMO diablo-esque hack-n-slash lootathon game called "Quest of D" that has you using physical trading cards to supplement your character. The game uses an ID card to track your progress and you take your deck of items, spells, and summons and pop it into a compartment in the game's cabinet before playing. The game dispenses a new card after every play as well. Any given instance of a particular card only had a certain number of uses per player account, so you would often see "take a card, leave a card" piles on tables in arcades, and there was alot of trading or even just giving away cards to random strangers (:3:) as well.

Anyways, the physical and inherent social aspect to Quest of D is really a large part of what made it fun, and while skylanders doesn't quite have all of that, I don't really see whats so bad about some adults finding the idea novel enough to want to try it out. Hunting down the figurines you want to play as is like a game in and of itself. :allears:

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 3, 2012

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The "bad" comes from the fact that this is just another in a long line of attempts by Activision to make as much cash as possible with middling effort. This time they just happen to be targeting children.

Nobody compared Skylanders to Hitler. Relax.

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

JP Money posted:

If you don't think some of the first posts in this thread are man-child levels of creepy I'm really sorry.

GRINK HELCH posted:

How much do I love Skylanders?

Enough that my shelf has been deemed Skylandia and has 18 figures (Including all three super sets).

Super Ness posted:

I have a hefty 2.5 gallon ziploc bag sitting 2 feet away from me, filled to bursting with these figures. And no, I have no kids.

I think I found them!

Anyway, game's a very blatant cash grab and it's disappointing that grown adults are falling for it. It's not good for consumers since companies will decide to keep offering less for more...well, not like we haven't already seen that happening with other forms of DLC.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Call of Duty: now compatible with the Portal of Power! Import your favorite GI JOE characters into the game and earn special perks and equipment for playing on friends' systems and at tournaments! Featuring a limited time Cobra Commander action figure, preorder today!

fake edit: God drat April 1st was two days ago

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

I think I found them!
Yeah, and what's with those manchildren who keep record collections? And the people who own lots of video games or movies? Pffft, loving goons buying things that they enjoy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Is the 3DS version a top-down platformer, or is it free-roaming 3-D?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dr Snofeld posted:

I don't ever intend on playing this game but it's nice to see Toys for Bob have a real success on their hands after a string of B-games. Who knows, it might bankroll a third Star Control game... though, as long as we're dreaming I'd like a boat.

It's like you literally ripped this post out of my brain and posted it raw and bleeding on the internet.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

I think I found them!

Anyway, game's a very blatant cash grab and it's disappointing that grown adults are falling for it. It's not good for consumers since companies will decide to keep offering less for more...well, not like we haven't already seen that happening with other forms of DLC.

They're RFID-chipped Cabbage Patch Kids that have a video game tie-in. It's a simple, easy way of viewing it. Adults in the 80s also bought those ugly dolls for themselves, and they creeped people out as they should have. This is just history repeating itself, some.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I bought this game when it came out because a friend worked on it and he was pretty excited about seeing it do well. I bought a couple figures before Christmas and played through it all eventually. It's fun sort of like those 3D Gauntlet games that came out in arcades. The bosses, especially the last one, have bullet hell patterns for their attacks. I don't think I'd buy any additional figures to 100% the game or the adventure packs for the extra levels, but it's decent fun, one that adults can enjoy on it's own or with kids.

What I'm saying is that you don't have to be a collect-them-all spergelord in order to enjoy the game. It's a decent game with good gameplay that's well made and has an interesting gimmick.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Potsticker posted:

I bought this game when it came out because a friend worked on it and he was pretty excited about seeing it do well. I bought a couple figures before Christmas and played through it all eventually. It's fun sort of like those 3D Gauntlet games that came out in arcades. The bosses, especially the last one, have bullet hell patterns for their attacks. I don't think I'd buy any additional figures to 100% the game or the adventure packs for the extra levels, but it's decent fun, one that adults can enjoy on it's own or with kids.

What I'm saying is that you don't have to be a collect-them-all spergelord in order to enjoy the game. It's a decent game with good gameplay that's well made and has an interesting gimmick.

This is pretty much how I look at it, too. You really only need one character of each element to 100% the game, too. The only reason I've really played it is because of my nephew, and this game is pretty much all he uses his Wii for now. Maybe I've grown out of my collecting phase or whatever, but there's really no point in getting most of the figures. For the most part, they're worse than the characters that come in the box. I really couldn't see myself playing through it multiple times to get everyone to level 10, either :psyduck:

That being said, it would have been great for something like this to get released when I was a kid. The closest thing I had was Monster in my Pocket when I was his age, and I was in high school when Pokemon came out.

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011
My little brother has this for Wii and while I was quite horrified about the whole switching character thing (Why no button to switch instead?) I wasn't really surprised since he also collects Beyblades.

Can somebody clarify about the coop? Do you need two portals to be able to play?

And how long does the batteries last?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You only need one portal, it supports up to three objects on it at once (items, locations, characters) and you don't have a button to switch because you just grab a character off and plop another on. It's quick and it pauses whenever a character is lifted from the portal.

I can't speak of how long the batteries last, as I bought the 360 version, though I have it on good word that the WII version is the best. (Apparently the 360 and PS3 versions were ported from the WII version)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I've seen lots of the figurines, single and three character packs, over here on store shelves so I'm surprised this game is apparently so popular. I loved the hell out of the original Spyro series, then was unfortunate enough to get Year of the Dragonfly on the Gamecube, and never touched another Spyro game since.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
If they made a game that worked this way, but with lego characters and the lego theme worlds, my wife would bankrupt me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Potsticker posted:

You only need one portal, it supports up to three objects on it at once (items, locations, characters) and you don't have a button to switch because you just grab a character off and plop another on. It's quick and it pauses whenever a character is lifted from the portal.

I actually really liked this. It's just so...fluid, you grab your character, throw it on the platform, and bam, he's in the game. Take them off the platform, and bam, out of the game. Someone throws another character on and turns on another controller? Now that character is in the game too.

Also, for all your trophy/achievement whores, you only need the starter figurines to get platinum/1000 points.

I don't know why they attached the Spyro name to it, I think it could stand up on its own merit. It's a well-made game.

LorneReams posted:

If they made a game that worked this way, but with lego characters and the lego theme worlds, my wife would bankrupt me.

Don't you joke about that. I'm pretty sure I'd cry as I just gave my wallet to whatever store had the stuff in it.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
How does the 3DS version compare to the console? I know it's supposed to be a platformer instead of a top-down beat-em-up, but how is the gameplay? Is there co-op in the 3DS version?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

quakster posted:

The "bad" comes from the fact that this is just another in a long line of attempts by Activision to make as much cash as possible with middling effort. This time they just happen to be targeting children.

I wouldn't say "middling effort". The game itself has suprisingly high production values, is really well designed all round and just plays really well. I say "suprisingly" because a lot of games targetted at kids simply don't have this level of polish and playability. It's all really slick. Everything. There's loads of little touches that demonstrate this as well. From the way the drop-in/out works, the way the lights on the pedestal thing change colour being related to whats happening in the game. Even something as simple as the design of the YES/NO options in the menu show a lot of thought has gone into all aspects to the game not just the money making ones.

I bought for my kid (4) recently when he was ill as he just had a really lovely week and it's like been top of his must have list forever and I just felt like getting him something special. He's absolutely nuts about it. Fortunately the price has dropped recently and I've made it clear we're only getting one of each type of figure. In total that will cost maybe one and a half times the price of a new release game. Which is not too bad considering you get the peripheral and a load of toys as well.

For the individual figures what you get for your money isn't that bad when you compare it to similar toys. The figures are well designed and well made and although not articulated he loves playing with them (he's spent as much time playing with the figures as he has with the game). They're portable so he can take his favourite characters and play them at a friends house and retain their abilities, money and XP etc which is pretty cool. It also unlocks them in the free PC world which is as good as any other online microtransaction world for kids I've looked at... where unlocking anything other than the generic free characters would probably be a couple of bucks.

I don't feel ripped off when we get a new figure, but we're definitely not going to go crazy and get loads of them. I expected buyers remorse as it was kind of an impulse buy but it's been anything but.

It's a really good game for young kids as well. It's head and shoulders above similar games we've played. I'm thinking of something like that Disney one that came out a while back with loads of hype that (without the figures) had the whole collection thing going on, a lot of it through paid DLC, which was just a confusing unplayable mess most of the time. Likewise some Super Hero squad ones which were just dull, repetitive and janky. The style of the levels and combat, the nature of the puzzles even a lot of aspects of the level design just works really well for him. The upshoot of this is it's actually one of the first games which is fun to play with him co-op instead of an exercise in frustration.

My thing that suprises me the most is they haven't announced a cartoon based on it yet.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's hilarious that Activision can make this out of Spyro but Microsoft/Rare coundn't get their Viva Pińata empire off the ground.

The game is too simple for adults but for children you could do a hell of a lot worse.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gravy Jones posted:

I wouldn't say "middling effort".
It's either that or a hyperbole (I was mostly referring to the fact that this poo poo gets expensive).

keet
Aug 20, 2005

On the other hand, don't old gamers go on about how DLC is never as cool as "feelies", because you don't even get a physical object? The idea of also getting a neat (action) figure seems alright.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

"Absolutely nuts for it" would describe my 7 year old's enthusiasm for Skylanders stuff. I've enjoyed playing the game a bit too.

I wish the characters would take longer to level, though. I bring my son home a new figure on occasion as they glacially appear in stores, and within a few hours he's telling me he's already got them to level 10, and paid off all their powers. It doesn't seem to affect his desire to keep playing with the characters, but it seems like it's over pretty quick.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

5er posted:

I wish the characters would take longer to level, though. I bring my son home a new figure on occasion as they glacially appear in stores, and within a few hours he's telling me he's already got them to level 10, and paid off all their powers. It doesn't seem to affect his desire to keep playing with the characters, but it seems like it's over pretty quick.

7 years old and already a min/maxer. We haven't got any fully levelled or powered. Is he happy just playing old levels over and over?

One thing I'm really impressed with in this game is the powers. There's a lot of variety between the characters and the different tiers of powers are really distinctive. It's really nice for kids as getting a new one or upgrading an old one is more than just a change in stats it's actually a noticable change in the game. Unlocking and playing with new ones is easily my kids favourite part of the game and he spends ages deciding which path to choose when it reaches that point.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

7 years old and already a min/maxer. We haven't got any fully levelled or powered. Is he happy just playing old levels over and over?

One thing I'm really impressed with in this game is the powers. There's a lot of variety between the characters and the different tiers of powers are really distinctive. It's really nice for kids as getting a new one or upgrading an old one is more than just a change in stats it's actually a noticable change in the game. Unlocking and playing with new ones is easily my kids favourite part of the game and he spends ages deciding which path to choose when it reaches that point.

After playing through the latest Lego Harry Potter I'd say Skylanders is a big improvement on the smash everything/gauntlet-for-children formula. Quality over quantity or something.

The figurines are pretty expensive though, I'd hate to have to buy those.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

penguinmambo posted:

On the other hand, don't old gamers go on about how DLC is never as cool as "feelies", because you don't even get a physical object? The idea of also getting a neat (action) figure seems alright.

But feelings came bundled with the game and didn't have to be purchased separately. Activision's just pushing DLC on little kids who don't know any better.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tre Past Cool! posted:

But feelings came bundled with the game and didn't have to be purchased separately. Activision's just pushing DLC on little kids who don't know any better.

Not that I disagree, but it's not like regular gamers know any better either. DLC is the horrible future.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Tre Past Cool! posted:

It's a really unusual situation because in one way, especially from the adult perspective, this is true, and I'm sure Activision is loving every moment of this cash cow... but there is more to it.

If this game came with all 32 characters unlocked and you could play them all from the start or maybe unlock them by finishing certain levels. It would be a fun game that my kid would really enjoy and he'd play through it on his favourite character and that would be the end of it. Ultimately it wouldn't be anything special or that interesting beyond being a pretty solid game.

However, it's the fact that these figures exist and the ownership of these figures that he gets most of the value from. They're things that he owns, that once he owns he can play with in the game. It's hard to explain but their value in terms of the in game content is minimal. It's their value as physical objects that really matters to him. If you could get a big old boxed set with all the figures and the game it might work as a kind of half-way solution, but that would have to cost a fortune anyway. He knows he can't have all the figures, just as I knew I couldn't have all the He-Man figures when I was growing up. So he picks his favourites (Eruptor!) and not only gets to play with them.... but now they're in the game as well. I think the DLC aspect is only a small part of a bigger picture.

If I, as an adult, wanted to play the game I'd think this was all pretty dumb and prefer everything just be unlocked because I don't care about toys. It's not really a game for adults though.

A hell of a lot of children's toys exploit the urge to collect and some of them do it in ways I'm not too fond of as a parent. Skylanders pushes that in some areas with some varient figures that don't add anything and are really just there for the sake of collecting. But in terms off one off figures, their cost and what he gets out of them (toy, character in-game, character in online-game, fairly novel experience) I don't mind this one so much.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gravy Jones posted:

He's happy repeating levels. He doesn't have the time goal done on most of them, and he's got quite a few bits and bobs to find here and there on the collection goals. He hardly agonizes over the upgrade path, he typically knows right what he wants off the bat and goes for it. This has resulted in us resetting Camo, though. The 'Watermelon' path is garbage. His vine bomb path has much more payoff.

The power variety is great, I agree. Largely it DOES seem that the advantage, overall, goes to the ranged guys that can shoot fastest. Drobot is king there for speed, and Zook has good punch for his moderate fire rate. Hex is his 'artillery role' go-to. Any time dudes can be exploited for being stuck behind walls or world geometry, he goes for Hex and rains skulls on them.

It's a bitch that this variety and utility comes at a literal great cost. But, being a kid that loved collecting poo poo myself once upon a time, having the tangible little figures is a neat touch, and my kid likes organizing the cards & stickers when he's in the 'no video games' time zones.

• Locked thread