Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

omnibobb posted:

So, stats wise, is it better to buy newer/updated characters? Like are they universally better?

(in giants) revisions got a new unlockable ability relative to the last one. I believe this is mostly true for swap force (ninja stealth elf has a coming out of stealth attack that the others don't have). For some reason I don't remember seeing her wow-pow attack from giants though; I don't know if that was a balance change or if they dropped it for some other reason (or that I'm blind).

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

3rd wave characters are on Amazon, Prime eligible too.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

5er posted:

3rd wave characters are on Amazon, Prime eligible too.

We got Swap Force for Christmas, so I took my son's Giants portal and plugged it into a ps3 wall charging USB port I had http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KYV9AK
and now he uses the portal plus a skylander as a nightlight. The USB port has to be able to trick the portal into thinking there is data being transferred, but the Giants or Lightcore figures work awesomely.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
I can't believe I'm dying in a kids game. Skylanders : Prepare to Die? Or is it prepare to buy? I need more extra lives dammit! Freaking Drow Goliaths.

Also, I still only have Giants. Trying to level up my Skylanders for when I can spare my cash for Swap Force.

Oh god.... what I have I become? (Cries.)

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Will stat bonuses from doing heroics carry over from Giants to Swap Force?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
There's a contest being held for fans to come up with names for three completely new Skylanders, who I assume will be in the fourth game. I think I came up with a pretty good name for the water one myself.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Behonkiss posted:

There's a contest being held for fans to come up with names for three completely new Skylanders, who I assume will be in the fourth game. I think I came up with a pretty good name for the water one myself.

Kaos and his minions have attacked our site! But don’t worry, the Skylanders will have things up and running again in no time. Please try back later.

mmmGamer
Jul 23, 2004

Speaking of contests, there's am Enchanted Star Strke giveaway here : http://www.skylandershome.com/2014/02/26/enchanted-star-strike-super-giveaway/

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

omnibobb posted:

Will stat bonuses from doing heroics carry over from Giants to Swap Force?

Generally no. I think someone maybe have mentioned seein a few stats a point or so higher, but nothing significant

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My fiancee is thinking of picking up some skylanders stuff for herself and I was curious, is there a difference between various versions of the heroes (like legendary versions and stuff) or are they just aesthetic differences? Also, how do the different versions work with each other? Would we just get swap force and that would be able to play swap force things, giants things, and spyro's adventure things or would I need a separate portal for each or what? Also, is the version for Wii okay or is it gimped in some way because that's the version she'd be getting if she does get it.

Edit: also, how many figures would she need in order to get access to all of the game's gameplay content?

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 30, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Swap force for wii is not good from what I have been told, the rest are fine though. Any figure of a character (barring maybe some lightcore) should work with older versions of the game, if they were in that game. Newer versions of characters will may have another ability later on, or may have slightly better stats like a legendary, but its nothing major. All games are fully backwards compatible with figures (giants will support the extra level figurines from spyros adventure as well).

You will need all 8 elements to access all the stuff behind elemental gates. The different swap abilities swap force characters have also let you do minigame stuff, but if you don't care about that, I'd just stick with cheaper, regular figurines.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
With a little googling you can find a "shopping list" of what you need to buy to access everything in Swap Force with minimal costs - I think it will still run you around $200.

That being said, my 4 year old loves this game and the figures so it's real easy to justify dropping $10-$15 a week to get him a new figure to play with.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

There's a series 3 Easter I mean Springtime colored Trigger Happy up on Amazon right now, and it's even Prime eligible. That's going to account for about five of the loving character I have amongst all 3 versions.`

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

5er posted:

There's a series 3 Easter I mean Springtime colored Trigger Happy up on Amazon right now, and it's even Prime eligible. That's going to account for about five of the loving character I have amongst all 3 versions.`

Speaking of, what's up with the other springtime variants? I was comparing the Fryno to regular Fryno and it's almost exactly the same. Is he and Punk Shock just different packaging?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

omnibobb posted:

Speaking of, what's up with the other springtime variants? I was comparing the Fryno to regular Fryno and it's almost exactly the same. Is he and Punk Shock just different packaging?

Yup. That's it. Probably to make them more appealing as easter basket gifts perhaps.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
So Skylanders. After three games, a bunch of toys, and a lot of money lost, can we finally ask if it was worth it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are the elemental gates, giants stuff, and swap zones worth dropping money to unlock? What are the rewards for each? My fiancee wants to play it but she doesn't like the idea of having to drop $140 on a bunch of figures she really doesn't care about just so she can unlock all of the content. If the extra content isn't anything spectacular or big or important then I imagine she'll be better off just buying whatever figures she likes rather than trying to get the most efficient list to unlock everything.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Logical1234 posted:

So Skylanders. After three games, a bunch of toys, and a lot of money lost, can we finally ask if it was worth it?

If you like tiny monster figurines, yes :colbert:.

FirstAidKite posted:

Are the elemental gates, giants stuff, and swap zones worth dropping money to unlock?

Gates and challenges are not terribly important. There are hats, a few bonus missions and 'legendary treasures' that grant passive bonuses. Giant chests are just money. To access absolutely everything you'd need one giant, one figure from each element, two level packs and one swap idiot of each mobility type if you have a second controller to deal with those rear end in a top hat dual-element gates. They open either with a mixed element swap guy (Fire Kracken's butt and Trap Shadow's torso, for example) or if you have one Skylander for both the elements during the drop-in co-op. If you happen to play primarily in co-op anyway it's not even inconvenient :toot:!

Eight elements, eight mobility types, plus there are two full stages tied to 'level packs' that come with a stage token that doubles as a once-per-stage spell, one Skylander and two once-per-stage items of dubious usefulness. They're not directly tied into the plot and serve as their own self-contained adventures. I like Sheep Wreck Island the best of the two and its pack-in character is a cute little clockwork robot :3:. The Tower of Time is pretty good but for some reason its pack-in dude's voice reminds me of someone's creepy uncle. I keep expecting him to comment on someone's gams at some point but he never does. If you get the level packs you get an air guy and a tech guy as a given. The console starter pack includes swappable fire, swappable water and a life/plant standard figure. You'd need an earth, magic and dead guy to finish elemental coverage and six swap idiots to cover the mobility types. Lots of places have buy one/two and get one free sales so financial ruin isn't a requirement unless there is a really, really specific one you're after. I was never able to find the Granite Crusher palette swap in store and Target is loving terrible about making its exclusives available online and paying $30+ for a prettier version of a guy I already have is unacceptable.

Keep in mind that the Swap-Force versions of guys who appeared in previous games will work in said previous games. Spyro and Whirlwind will work anywhere, Mushboom and Jet-Vac will work in Giants and Swap-Force but Countdown and Star Strike will only work in Swap-Force. Figures are platform agnostic and work with anything, including 3DS and iOS. There used to be an online game for Spyro's Adventure and Giants with mini-games tied into a decoratable hub world but it's dead due to :effort:. The older games have lower level caps so a level 20 Spyro would show up as level 15 in Giants or level 10 in Adventures. Light core editions work but will show up in-game as standard figures if the light core version didn't exist at the time. The Gamera-looking turtle will still light up on the portal but won't show up glowy in Adventures or Giants. The Swap-Force portal will work with previous versions of the game so you don't need three of them hanging around for compatibility. The portable games need their own portal, however.

The portable games are built from similar assets as the console games but are totally unique layouts and have their own storylines. They're generally not as well-regarded as the console editions but if you're heavily invested in figures it's somewhere else to use 'em. Instead of requiring a constant connection you pre-load figures to switch between on the go. Only two can be stored at a time in Adventure or Giants but there are so many of the little bastards that Swap-Force stores all of them at the same time. The only trouble is that it makes keeping the figure in sync more difficult since you actively have to re-load them to update the data stored on the toy and accrued experience can potentially be lost if you used the figure in the console game :psyduck:. Oddly, the old Adventures/Giants portable portals had a mini-usb in and worked with the PC game and, in theory, would probably have worked with the PS3 and Wii versions of the console game. This has been removed from the Swap-Force version, unfortunately.

'Spring Edition' Punk Shock and Fryno seem to be absolutely no different from the standard figures and don't come with the Easter hat what comes with pink Triggerhappy. The alternate color figures usually have slightly different stats than the standards but it's not very important. They don't mention it on the packaging but the 'Enchanted' black and white deco figures have parts in-game that shift from white to blue :catdrugs:, Hoot Loop's feathers and Star Strike's hood (but only the hood).

Oh god so much text about plastic monsters what am I doing with my life :gonk:.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Alright, as long as she isn't going to miss out on anything important by just getting whatever figures she wants in swap force rather than trying to follow the guide to get the 8 swappable dudes that cover each swap move & element + a giant in order to cover everything which will cost us, at minimum, like $140 and, at most, over $200. She doesn't like any of the swappable dudes which is why she's been wondering if the elemental gate, swap zone, and giant poo poo are worth it because why bother spending $140 on the game if you aren't even buying figures you like, right? :P If she can get by with just buying whatever figure she wants regardless of whether it covers the 8 elements/8 movesets and the adventure packs from spyro's adventure & swapforce then that's totally fine.

Honestly I'm surprised there isn't some kinda weird PC moba-like game that uses the figurines.

Edit: Also why the hell is the darklight adventure pack thing so expensive? Jesus christ, amazon has it for like 80 some bucks minimum.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 13, 2014

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

FirstAidKite posted:

Edit: Also why the hell is the darklight adventure pack thing so expensive? Jesus christ, amazon has it for like 80 some bucks minimum.

They stopped producing them when Giants came out, combined with the fact that they never released Ghost Roaster in any other way means $$$. It's funny though, because when that pack came out it wasn't very popular.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Because Ghost Roaster is adorable and they never released a figure for him outside of Adventures, similarly to Boomer :3:? EBay looks like a better option, lots of listings for loose sets for under $50. Be warned, though, the Adventures level packs do not open their associated stages in Swap Force. They unlock the levels in Adventures and Giants (probably since Giants had no level packs of its own). In Swap Force their only use is as a once-per-stage area magic attack, such as Pirate Seas summoning a rain of cannonballs that smites things pretty well.

I don't think Darklight was unpopular as much as it was poorly distributed. It was the only set I never saw being sold in stores whereas locally you can still pick up Pirate Seas if you really wanted to :psyduck:.

The Battle Packs are largely a waste of time if they aren't on sale. I'm not even sure that each piece unlocks unique arenas... one seemed to unlock like three and the other didn't seem to do anything. I wanted a standard BEEEES figure and the new Camo anyway so as a buy one get one deal it was fine. Also note that old figures played in newer games can level up to the same level as a newer figure. Adventures guys lack access to the optional Wow Pows from Giants but it's hardly a great national tragedy if Wrecking Ball can't roll around as a giant disco ball.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Look at this guy who doesn't have a 4 year old.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

SassyRobot posted:

I don't think Darklight was unpopular as much as it was poorly distributed. It was the only set I never saw being sold in stores whereas locally you can still pick up Pirate Seas if you really wanted to :psyduck:.

That's interesting, because I remember places having pegs of them when the first game came out. That is some bad distribution.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Logical1234 posted:

When my great grandkids find them in their Rubbermaid tubs in (hopefully) decent condition after I die, they can hopefully sell the poo poo at whatever's equivalent to a grand or so to the rich neckbeard collectors of the future. It'd be worth it then right?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

So Toys R' Us is having a sale on Spyro's Adventures Skylanders, single figs are $3.99 and adventure packs are $9.99. In case you didn't know, adventure packs unlock the same levels on Giants as well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I saw this on the toys r us website

Anyone have a clue what it is?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Anyone have a clue what it is?

It's either the new Skylanders game being announced, the release of Doom Stone, or both, as they're taking place on the same day.

Also, Polygon put up an article about the creation of Skylanders that's pretty interesting.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Weird that it has the giant logo

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

Doomstone will be available the 23rd in limited quantities at Toys r Us's Times Square branch and they're supposed to be giving away like 500 unspecified free Skylanders toys (Spyro's Adventures Spyro :downs: ??). They're supposed to have costumed guys, too, until they overheat in their poly-blend prisons. I would not envy whoever has to wear those costumes. It'll be fun for the kids, though, and that's the important thing.

What I want to know is when/if that glow in the dark Rattle Shake is released outside of that damned promotional giveaway.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know I've been asking a bunch of questions lately so sorry about that but 2 more questions.

1. For the branching skills, can you only pick one branch and that's it or is it possible to switch or would you have to get an entirely new figurine in order to run the other skill branch?
2. Are there any characters that are just straight up not fun and should be avoided, or is pretty much everyone useable and fun to play with?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

omnibobb posted:

Weird that it has the giant logo

They probably just want to sell the Giants inventory that has barely moved since October.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

5er posted:

They probably just want to sell the Giants inventory that has barely moved since October.

I hope they do a deep discount like they just did with Spyros Adventure. Clear the shelf space for new stuff.

My son and I just beat Swap Force today. It's a lot of fun sharing a hobby with him.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I know I've been asking a bunch of questions lately so sorry about that but 2 more questions.

Unless I'm missing something in the game, characters specifically from Swap Force (swappy guys, winged cat thing, clockwork robot) cannot change paths unless you reset the figure. That means losing all the exp, upgrades and levels a character has. Guys who existed before in Adventures or Giants can switch trees. I hope I'm wrong about Swap Force guys.

The Giants are generally regarded as the least fun characters. They're slow can't do much to dodge attacks which is super important on higher difficulty levels. Crusher is basic as gently caress and it's hard to recommend him. Eyebrawl and Ninjini are my favorites of the group as they have either higher mobility or interesting skills. Eyebrawl can pop off of his body and fly around as a laser-spewing flying eyeball and the lasers can be upgraded to spawn tiny bouncy eyeballs on contact. It's ludicrously silly and I love it :3:. Standard characters each have a unique approach to combat and while some are less conventional none are outright awful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SassyRobot posted:

Unless I'm missing something in the game, characters specifically from Swap Force (swappy guys, winged cat thing, clockwork robot) cannot change paths unless you reset the figure. That means losing all the exp, upgrades and levels a character has. Guys who existed before in Adventures or Giants can switch trees. I hope I'm wrong about Swap Force guys.

The Giants are generally regarded as the least fun characters. They're slow can't do much to dodge attacks which is super important on higher difficulty levels. Crusher is basic as gently caress and it's hard to recommend him. Eyebrawl and Ninjini are my favorites of the group as they have either higher mobility or interesting skills. Eyebrawl can pop off of his body and fly around as a laser-spewing flying eyeball and the lasers can be upgraded to spawn tiny bouncy eyeballs on contact. It's ludicrously silly and I love it :3:. Standard characters each have a unique approach to combat and while some are less conventional none are outright awful.

Oh, you can reset the figurines? I'd read somewhere that you couldn't do that so I guess since it is something you can do then that's okay. Not preferable, but okay.

Shame about the Giants characters. Bouncer and Thumpback looked like a lot of fun and I just love Thumpback's design and the animation on Bouncer.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh, you can reset the figurines?

Shame about the Giants characters. Bouncer and Thumpback looked like a lot of fun and I just love Thumpback's design and the animation on Bouncer.

Yep, resetting is an option if you just really, really hate an upgrade path or if you buy a used figure and want to start fresh. Resetting also removes custom names but they're just for fun. My Riptide is Fish Gordon :downs: Swap Force guys can have names for both halves.

Bouncer and Thumpback are pretty okay. Thumpback gets a sliding move that improves his mobility (and cause damage) plus decent attack range. Bouncer is mainly ranged attack and just looks so happy :3: both the normal and Legendary Bouncers have nice color schemes and light-up eyes. All of the Giants have some bits that light up like lightcore figures. Hothead's figure is disappointing since only his head lights up. I thought mine was broken but they're all like that. He's a volcano man, why can't his pyre hands light up :saddowns:. Now, lightcore Eruptor, there's a proper glowing lavaman!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So it sounds like apparently the next game is being announced in London some time today. Also, a site allegedly leaked the subtitle "Trap Team" as well.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

Trap Team is confirmed as this years Skylander game. The gimmick this time is crystals that you plug into the base to capture specific enemies that you can then fight with. No Wii version this time, you'll need a new portal, and there are going to be 60 Skylanders coming up, which is kinda ridiculous.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Wait, so you'll need a new portal, even for next gen consoles? That seems a bit much, they might be overplaying their hand a bit on this one.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

No Wii version this time, you'll need a new portal, and there are going to be 60 Skylanders coming up, which is kinda ridiculous.

Eh heh heh.

Another new portal. What. :geno:

The 'trapping' gimmick seems pretty terrible. If the video I saw is anything to go by you need a specific 'trap crystal' to recruit enemy characters. That's asking a bit much. It makes more sense as a game mechanic to 'trap' enemies and conscript them but it just seems like they didn't want to make proper figures for some dudes so here, have a specific magic stick :downs:!

If the traps are interchangeable and the specific designs are a suggestion rather than a rule that's slightly better. I am not impressed by Mr. Artichoke and his tomato gun. He looks like a budget version of the bamboo man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This new gimmick is utterly brilliant from the perspective of the company trying to maximize profits while minimizing production of new figurines. I'm just wondering what the 20 new skylanders are gonna be since I imagine 40 of that 60 number are the trappable enemies. Still probably just gonna aim for getting swap force first and working through that and giants and spyro's adventure, by which point I imagine trap team will be out and slightly cheaper.

• Locked thread