Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Kelp Plankton posted:

Spyro was a casualty. His name and presence was a brand-establishing tool. Skylanders Giants doesn't even mention him in the title, which is pretty telling- Skylanders don't need Spyro anymore, he's just one of a couple dozen faces in the crowd now.

This game is pretty fun. Got it for my birthday unexpectedly and have been trying to get more of the figures since- which is hard to do! They are very difficult to find anywhere.

The game starts out insultingly easy for adults, but it does get more difficult as you progress. It hasn't been balls-hard or anything yet, but I've died a few times, and definitely run out of skylanders once or twice and needed to restart the level.(though now I have 7 or so of them so that happens less frequently).

The 3DS version is a platformer and the console versions are top-down beat-em-ups basically though. The web version is a lovely, pointless nothing, don't touch it.

I think the coolest aspect is that the figures are cross-platform. Not just for Wii and 3DS, but for PS3 and 360, or Wii and PC, etc etc. All toys work with all versions and keep their earned gold and levels and skilltree selections wherever they're played.

That said, it's super difficult to find any of the toys right now, so if you want to get into playing it, be aware. Don't pay scalper prices, just be patient. You'll find them at retail price eventually.

A lot of people seem to consider the figures pricey at $8, but they're only thinking of the in-game value. They're a combination toy and DLC, and the price is probably about right for what they do. You're getting a physical figure after all. Just don't get caught up in collecting, buy the ones you think are cool or whatever, and it won't be too expensive.

I just wish it had online co-op. And 4 player.

Also the game has hats. Hats.
When I originally bought Skylanders I thought to myself:"I am not getting sucked into this money hole,just getting the PS3 version and the 3DS version as a gift."
Then came the loving hats, I now have 9 toys only 2 of which are of types I already have, all I need left is an air Skylander and I can unlock everything.
And all the hats will be mine!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

Super Ness posted:

It's funny actually. I got the starter set for free and ignored it for a while. One day a friend comes over hungry for some sweet sweet co-op gaming. I had my doubts and was fully prepared to be laughed at by my fellow adult friend for popping in a Spyro game of my own free will. I figured what the hell. Then the first time I switched one figure with another on that portal, something primal awoke inside of me that had long since died off in my childhood. I was playing with toys and I was having fun doing it. Flash forward a few weeks and I have spent more than I'd care to recall on this "free" game I got. I was actually trying to find a second disk of the game for PS3 so I could play it anew, with shiner visuals, (had the Wii version) but the news of a sequel has me covered there.

I can honestly say that I thought that this game would suck some royal anus. I mean come on its Activision, the killer of franchises here. I was wrong. If you've ever been addicted to Pokemon then you'll have some sort of idea how powerful the urge to get more of these bastards is.
Like I said, first you want all the elements, then you want some more so you can try out their abilities, then you own them all then Skylanders Giants is announced and you have your wallet at the ready.

Skylanders seems to be the most evil thing since :cthulhu:

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

Just defeated Invader Zim (Read:Kaos) a few days ago and I have to ask will he be sold as a toy when Giants comes out?

• Locked thread