Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Toxxupation posted:

I wonder if part 2 will come out before summer

The schedule they posted in the February update had a Spring 2015 release window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
Some people have speculated that they're timing the release of the public documentary episodes to end when part 2 is released, which would make it the end of next month. But I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Great Rumbler posted:

The schedule they posted in the February update had a Spring 2015 release window.

June is totally "spring"

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

Hef Deezy posted:

Some people have speculated that they're timing the release of the public documentary episodes to end when part 2 is released, which would make it the end of next month. But I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

They did specifically say that the ongoing documentary release is part of their overall promotional plan, so that's not coming out of nowhere, but 2pp could change up the release schedule if they wanted to so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. At this point it's likely to just be a case of DF figuring out what the best way to release it is. Not sure where Toxxupation's idea that it's coming out on PS4 simultaneously is coming from, although it'd probably make sense for them to do that if they can and they're probably going to shoot as close as possible.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I could have sworn they said they were planning on April.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Kickstarter Update: the final build has been locked down. It'll take about another month to get PS4 certification and press the discs for PC.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Awesome! Doesn't look like there will be any sort of early release for backers on this one though. That's too bad as I really liked playing the first one early and submitting some bug reports. I haven't done enough testing to see it for the mind numbing chore it can be yet.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Official release date is April 28.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/25/broken-age-act-2-release-date-announced

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"We can get this out before December [2014], right?" -Tim "TimTam" Schafer

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Friendly reminder that a new episode of the doc is out and that this time tomorrow backers will get Act 2!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fun part of the doc: how it went to great pains, GREAT GREAT PAINS, to completely avoid bringing up spacebase in literally any context whatsoever, not even as a passing mention

funner part of the doc: when the episode frames the hate campaign (which I need to stress was completely undeserved) as springing out of nowhere as opposed to a direct result of the spacebase horseshit

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Listened to this in the background while web surfing. Don't think I missed out on anything. I mean, it's not their fault that "oh yeah we're still working on stuff and there's a lot of time/financial pressure" isn't fascinating material, especially since that's been the theme of the last few episodes as well, but still.

Toxxupation posted:

fun part of the doc: how it went to great pains, GREAT GREAT PAINS, to completely avoid bringing up spacebase in literally any context whatsoever, not even as a passing mention

funner part of the doc: when the episode frames the hate campaign (which I need to stress was completely undeserved) as springing out of nowhere as opposed to a direct result of the spacebase horseshit

I think he was talking about Gamergate. He got into a tussle or two on Twitter about it, I think?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

AllisonByProxy posted:

Friendly reminder that a new episode of the doc is out and that this time tomorrow backers will get Act 2!

I think this time tomorrow we get the preload key, not the game.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

notZaar posted:

I think this time tomorrow we get the preload key, not the game.

I'm 99% sure backers can play Act 2 in 12 hours (edit: i.e. midnight EST), and everyone else, including those who already bought Act 1 but were not Kickstarter backers, in 36 hours. That's how I understood it and from looking at the official forums everyone seems to be assuming the same. I hope that's the case cause tomorrow's a holiday here in the Netherlands and I'll have the whole day to play it. Otherwise I'll probably have to wait until Thursday.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Glad to finally be able to finish this game. It wasn't exactly the ride I thought I'd signed up for, and it was a bit too bumpy, but I'm glad I got on.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

From the last backers only update, they're definitely saying that backers should be able to play it tomorrow. Of course, this is dependent on them being able to get the codes out:

quote:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure/posts/1209413
When can I play Broken Age Act 2?

Most excitingly of all. we’ve been getting ready to share Broken Age Act II with all of you fabulous Backers! We’re working with Humble and Steam to get codes out at 12:01 am Eastern on Monday April 27th, 24 hours in advance of the public release.
I'm disappointed they didn't do another beta/early access type release for backers, as that was really fun to get in a couple weeks early and be part of the final testing process, but after the fiasco that ended up being for the first episode, I can understand why they're just releasing it to everyone at once this time.

evilmiera posted:

Glad to finally be able to finish this game. It wasn't exactly the ride I thought I'd signed up for, and it was a bit too bumpy, but I'm glad I got on.
Yeah that sounds about right for any game development. Being able to see a game from concept to finished product has been a real experience. I've backed several other projects, but most of them have already been well into development at the time of Kickstarter launch, so this has been a really fascinating and educational trip. Needless to say I don't regret any of it, I just wish I'd gotten some of the physical reward tier memorabilia, this was the first Kickstarter I ever backed.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Just got my backer code, check your emails if you want yours:

quote:

Broken Age is now complete! The Double Fine Adventure that we’ve all been on together is at and end, and your patience and kindness will now be rewarded. Let the fun times commence!

We’re giving you access to Broken Age in its fully completed glory 24 hours before the rest of the world (Your code can be found below). Feel free to stream or talk about the game to your heart’s content - just please, please be considerate about spoiling other people, warn people, use spoiler tags where necessary, etc.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You can just download it directly or...

The email does a poor job explaining it, but it gives you a code you can put into steam to turn on Beta access, which lets you download the update on steam, apparently. 1.6gb update, apparently.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxxupation posted:

You should whine more about it in the Broken Age thread

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Act 2 codes have been sent out so if you were a backer check your email.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
A couple of hours in and Act 2 is great so far. Playing as Vella the answers come hard and fast. So far the puzzles seem a little bit tougher than those in act 1. Haven't tried Shay yet.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's an interesting question, actually. Who do you play as first in Act 2?

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Megazver posted:

That's an interesting question, actually. Who do you play as first in Act 2?

You get a choice it looks like, I picked Vela to start since she seemed more interesting in the first half. The new puzzles are interesting but some of the first ones with timing were a bit of a pain, interface wise. Beyond that I'm liking what I've seen so far, looks like some early critical response has been negative though (Rock Paper Shotgun is the main one I noticed).

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
In true Adventure game fashion, I must be missing something stupidly obvious.

[Vela, early start, Act 2 Spoilers]I went through the trophy room into the teleporter, got my head bigger and tried to talk to MOM. But that didn't help. I've tried walking back into the trophy room and clicking everything, but I'm missing something. How do I get MOM to think I'm Shay, if that's even what I'm trying to do?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lamquin posted:

In true Adventure game fashion, I must be missing something stupidly obvious.

[Vela, early start, Act 2 Spoilers]I went through the trophy room into the teleporter, got my head bigger and tried to talk to MOM. But that didn't help. I've tried walking back into the trophy room and clicking everything, but I'm missing something. How do I get MOM to think I'm Shay, if that's even what I'm trying to do?

Do it again, that's what you did as Shay in the first act.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Do it again, that's what you did as Shay in the first act.

:doh: The downfall of not having played Act 1 since release. I completely forgot that part of Shays act 1. Thanks!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Minor annoyance: There wasn't any Part 1 Completion autosave, so I got kicked back to a save shortly before the end and it's been so long since I last played that I'm having trouble remembering what I was supposed to do.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I completely forgot that part two even was a thing given how long it took since part one, I mean, I got the game I paid for, why do I feel as if I'd been taken for a ride by kickstarting this game way back when?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Great Rumbler posted:

Minor annoyance: There wasn't any Part 1 Completion autosave, so I got kicked back to a save shortly before the end and it's been so long since I last played that I'm having trouble remembering what I was supposed to do.

Mine picked up right at the start of the final animation :shrug:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Al-Saqr posted:

I completely forgot that part two even was a thing given how long it took since part one, I mean, I got the game I paid for, why do I feel as if I'd been taken for a ride by kickstarting this game way back when?

Probably because you were and hopefully learned an important lesson.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Great Rumbler posted:

Did you select continue or load a save? I continued and it started at the end-of-act 1 cutscene.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Republicans posted:

Did you select continue or load a save? I continued and it started at the end-of-act 1 cutscene.

Continue. It could have been a bug or something else, because the last autosave was from really early in the game.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Continue. It could have been a bug or something else, because the last autosave was from really early in the game.

you sure you didn't start a second playthrough sometime between finishing act 1 and now and that is what its continuing?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I'm pretty sure I never did, but it doesn't really matter now because I've worked my way into Act 2 already.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've finished it.

Well, some of the puzzles are bad old school bullshit to the point where I gave up and played through most of the last couple of hours with a walkthrough open. I can do hard in an adventure game, but I want some loving logic there. When I got stuck here, there was never a "oh why didn't I think of that?" moment when I looked up the solution, only a "really, Tim Schafer, you fucker?"

The story resolves... I guess? I have a feeling that despite the time and money they had, they still had to seriously cut poo poo and push the game out the door.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Megazver posted:

I've finished it.

Well, some of the puzzles are bad old school bullshit to the point where I gave up and played through most of the last couple of hours with a walkthrough open. I can do hard in an adventure game, but I want some loving logic there. When I got stuck here, there was never a "oh why didn't I think of that?" moment when I looked up the solution, only a "really, Tim Schafer, you fucker?"

The story resolves... I guess? I have a feeling that despite the time and money they had, they still had to seriously cut poo poo and push the game out the door.
If you watch the latest documentary episode it looked like they were really down to the wire. Like, even more than normal. I'm really curious about what got changed and/or cut, the documentary episodes haven't gone into much detail on the game's plot and all that. I'm happy to hear there will be at least one more episode, I hope they get into more of that maybe.

I finished the game and the latest doc episode, it's been quite an experience. As a game it's decent, but as an overall trip it's been pretty amazing.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I played through the whole thing over the last few days. I'd held off playing Act 1 and managed to avoid spoilers, and went straight from Act 1 into Act 2. Overall I thought it was a quite solid adventure game, perhaps more than I was expecting with some of the negative vibes I'd picked up about the second act. I thought Act 2 was generally fine, and definitely so story-wise.

The only significant problem I had with Act 2 - and unfortunately it's a big one - was with some of the puzzles, and not necessarily the difficulty. In an effort to make this spoiler-free and unfortunately slightly cryptic, there is a particular adventure game puzzle faux pas that was completely absent in Act 1 that starts creeping in with increasing frequency in Act 2. It was the only time I got significantly stuck simply because I hadn't considered those types of puzzles to be in the game and once I realised it was always a let-down when I encountered another one.

Overall though, good adventure game. It definitely had that unique Double Fine flavour to it too which I appreciated.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trapezium Dave posted:

The only significant problem I had with Act 2 - and unfortunately it's a big one - was with some of the puzzles, and not necessarily the difficulty. In an effort to make this spoiler-free and unfortunately slightly cryptic, there is a particular adventure game puzzle faux pas that was completely absent in Act 1 that starts creeping in with increasing frequency in Act 2.

This is because between Act 1 and Act 2 backers whined and complained about how easy Act 1 was and "not like old adventure games" so they made Act 2 like those old adventure games

Turns out people don't like old adventure games

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It wasn't so much the increase in difficulty as a particular aspect to puzzles, spoilered for die-hard puzzle solvers: any puzzle where one protagonist needs information that they literally cannot find out themselves (because it is in the realm of the other protagonist) except through the medium of the player's brain.
(spoiler not for any one particular puzzle, but will give broad hints for a particular category of puzzles).

Although I could potentially seeing backers request for that, even though it makes no sense in the context of this particular game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm in act 2 at the Control Sphere puzzle and I don't even want to try to solve this convoluted poo poo.

• Locked thread