Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

notZaar posted:

So I'm in act 2 at the Control Sphere puzzle and I don't even want to try to solve this convoluted poo poo.
The one where you use the ship's camera to look around all the different rooms, right? I found it actually simpler than it seems at first, there's just so much going on it makes it look convoluted, but you really just need to use the one system to solve the puzzle: the broken panel areas that spark when you click on them.

Here are some hints in order of how much they give away, there's a site called UHS Hints that does this system which I love, but they don't update very often and Broken Age isn't up there currently.

-So your main goal is to open the control room door. The door control is damaged, so it needs to be repaired. How does the ship usually take care of these things?

-It's done by the hexipals, so you need to find one.

-There's one in the last room, you need to get it to the control panel door.

-It will repair anything that looks broken, so if you click on any of the exposed circuit panel things, they'll spark and it will head over and start repairing them. It repairs whatever is nearby and damaged, so you need to lead it down the hallway one at a time.

Some of the timing is a little finicky, and there will be a countdown timer for a few, but I was able to get it to work by just clicking them as often as I could. And make sure you unlock all the doors while you're already in those rooms, there's no reason to lock any of them back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They announced the final release of Massive Chalice. How is it? Any meat on it?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Ok I beat the game. I had to go to a FAQ because the solution to a puzzle was to do NOTHING. What kind of bs is that?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

notZaar posted:

Ok I beat the game. I had to go to a FAQ because the solution to a puzzle was to do NOTHING. What kind of bs is that?

Are you talking about the snake? I hated that poo poo too, I also had to go look up a guide and was like "welp, I would never have tried that." That was after talking to every clickable thing with every other thing at least once. I don't play a lot of adventure games, so I don't know if that's a common mechanic I would know to look out for.

Some of the wire puzzles ended up just being annoying trial and error at times. Overall, if they were going to incorporate me as the player as a psychic medium for their connection and ability to puzzle solve, they should have integrated that into the actual plot and game a little. Also, the game felt kind of short. Steam tells me I played 11 hours, but I fell asleep playing last night so I don't know how long it actually took me, but there's an <1hour achievement, so wow. Is this a typical length for an adventure game or short?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I replayed the first half, knowing all the puzzles ahead of time, and just deliberately chose every possible dialogue path so I could hear everything, and that alone clocked in at more than two hours. To get the 1 hour achievement would definitely be possible, but you'd be skipping all the good parts, aka, the writing.

Broken Age took me about the same amount of time to play as a season of Telltale's Sam and Max. That seems reasonable to me.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, a typical 90s Schafer style adventure game can be completed very quickly if you skip all the dialogue and know exactly what to do. But it does defeat the point of playing those types of games, which is to drink in the setting and mess around with everything.

That is what I felt Broken Age was missing the most, a bunch of verbs and loads of probably redundant items in the environment to play with and make jokes with.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/5/20/8601389/tim-schafer-broken-age

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

There was a game called Spacebase DF-9, right? I'm not just imagining that, am I?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/19/elijah-wood-tim-schafer-broken-age

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Christian Knudsen posted:

There was a game called Spacebase DF-9, right? I'm not just imagining that, am I?

Unfortunately it didn't burn enough morons off of buying game alphas in Early Access.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tim seems to be spending a bunch of time shilling his game now. He really does believe all these adventure game players are out there waiting for his masterpiece.

If a friend of mine said "hey I want to try one of these adventure game things" they'd get a recommendation for Tell Tale. I mean, end of BA versus end of TWD, come on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ah, yes, broken age single-handedly revived the adventure game

*pointedly ignores the extremely critically acclaimed and bestselling TWD season 1 that came out 3 years before his poo poo bad game was finally fully released*

Yes...yes we're bringing adventure games back

*never mentions TellTale's work ever again, not even as a reference point to modern adventure gaming*

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

ah, yes, broken age single-handedly revived the adventure game

*pointedly ignores the extremely critically acclaimed and bestselling TWD season 1 that came out 3 years before his poo poo bad game was finally fully released*

Yes...yes we're bringing adventure games back

*never mentions TellTale's work ever again, not even as a reference point to modern adventure gaming*

Schafer may be jealous considering TellTale was also founded by LucasArts veterans and had managed to be successful by producing good games and not screwing over people who make deals with them. Can anyone imagine Double Fine getting the Game of Thrones or Marvel licenses?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know, I'm glad TellTale is doing OK but personally I never found their writing or their games to be much of such. Never got into their version of Sam n Max. Walking Dead season 1 was good, but then I played a single episode of season 2 and lost all interest. They seem to be making the same games with different license. They even managed to make Homestar less funny.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

notZaar posted:

I don't know, I'm glad TellTale is doing OK but personally I never found their writing or their games to be much of such. Never got into their version of Sam n Max. Walking Dead season 1 was good, but then I played a single episode of season 2 and lost all interest. They seem to be making the same games with different license. They even managed to make Homestar less funny.

I love Sam and Max S2 and 3, but I'm kind of tired of the visual novel style of games they're doing now, not to say they're bad though. I just want S and M S4...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Telltale doesn't make adventure games anymore, they make glorified visual novels.

TWD1 was cool because it was a neat new formula but the writing was terrible poo poo that got worse than fanfiction the second you did something the writers didn't expect. Now their strategy is to just license other people's IPs and shove it into that exact same formula twice a year without making anything new ever.

Remember when they promised a new engine that wouldn't demolish save files? Where the gently caress is that?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

TellTale also realised that if your game shits trophies like it's going out of fashion, people will buy them for that. "Tales From The Borderlands" (which I will say I am enjoying) will give you like 5 golds, 15 silvers, 10 bronzes and a platinum for doing nothing but playing the game through. No skill-based trophies, no collectible hunting, nothing. I actually found the trophy pops in "The Walking Dead" distracting they were so often and so unwarranted.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Real adventure games are text-based only, it's been all downhill since Infocom went under.

shmee posted:

TellTale also realised that if your game shits trophies like it's going out of fashion, people will buy them for that. "Tales From The Borderlands" (which I will say I am enjoying) will give you like 5 golds, 15 silvers, 10 bronzes and a platinum for doing nothing but playing the game through. No skill-based trophies, no collectible hunting, nothing. I actually found the trophy pops in "The Walking Dead" distracting they were so often and so unwarranted.

TT is far far from the only game developer that has this. I got a trophy for launching part 2 of BA.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pirate Jet posted:

Telltale doesn't make adventure games anymore, they make glorified visual novels.

TWD1 was cool because it was a neat new formula but the writing was terrible poo poo that got worse than fanfiction the second you did something the writers didn't expect. Now their strategy is to just license other people's IPs and shove it into that exact same formula twice a year without making anything new ever.

Remember when they promised a new engine that wouldn't demolish save files? Where the gently caress is that?

behold, the defense of the crazed lunatic DF fanboy

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

TT is far far from the only game developer that has this. I got a trophy for launching part 2 of BA.

True, but at least some of the trophies in BA take some skill (or at least time). Doing the maiden capture in the ship in act 1 without any mistakes is tough, as is the bit in act 2 with Vella where you have to get the fixer hexipal through the ship in one go. Finishing in under an hour is hard too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

behold, the defense of the crazed lunatic DF fanboy

I disagree with you therefore I am a fanboy okay. I don't even think Broken Age is very good.

Just you're a loving idiot if you think anything Telltale has put out since TWD1 - or including it - has been any better.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pirate Jet posted:

I disagree with you therefore I am a fanboy okay.

your posts in this thread make you a crazed DF fanboy, it's just that one in specific is the height of dffanboy.txt

quote:

Just you're a loving idiot if you think anything Telltale has put out since TWD1 - or including it - has been any better.

lol k there lil' buddy *rustles your hair fondly*

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Stating facts like "actually Broken Age didn't go through a second Kickstarter" makes me a fanboy I guess. I really appreciate the part where the only part you edited out of my post was the part where I said something that doesn't fit your narrative.

I'd really like if you'd actually say poo poo about the game/dev process/whatever this thread is about instead of wild-rear end accusations of conspiracies and "fanboyism" but that doesn't help your axe-grinding so I guess that's not ever going to happen.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

I disagree with you therefore I am a fanboy okay. I don't even think Broken Age is very good.

TWD1 won more awards, sold more copies, and has better user/critic ratings than BA, it's seriously no contest. Hell even here people were going "omg Clem :ohdear:" long after they'll even remember BA outside of the drama it created.

Pirate Jet posted:

I'd really like if you'd actually say poo poo about the game/dev process/whatever this thread is about instead of wild-rear end accusations of conspiracies and "fanboyism" but that doesn't help your axe-grinding so I guess that's not ever going to happen.

The dev process at DF sets them up for failure. There should have been at most a skeleton crew working on the game while Tim thought of what the hell he wanted to do.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol if you like double fine games in the year 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pirate Jet posted:

Stating facts like "actually Broken Age didn't go through a second Kickstarter" makes me a fanboy I guess. I really appreciate the part where the only part you edited out of my post was the part where I said something that doesn't fit your narrative.

quote:

Reception[edit]
Aggregate review scores
Game GameRankings Metacritic
Episode 1 – A New Day (PS3) 85.14%[81]
(X360) 83.87%[82]
(PC) 83.38%[83] (PS3) 84[84]
(PC) 82[85]
(X360) 79[86]
Episode 2 – Starved for Help (PC) 86.53%[87]
(X360) 86.26%[88]
(PS3) 85.90%[89] (PC) 84[90]
(X360) 84[91]
(PS3) 84[92]
Episode 3 – Long Road Ahead (X360) 88.47%[93]
(PS3) 86.11%[94]
(PC) 85.41%[95] (X360) 88[96]
(PS3) 87[97]
(PC) 85[98]
Episode 4 – Around Every Corner (PC) 84.00%[99]
(X360) 82.50%[100]
(PS3) 78.94%[101] (X360) 82[102]
(PS3) 81[103]
(PC) 80[104]
Episode 5 – No Time Left (PC) 94.75%[105]
(X360) 88.15%[106]
(PS3) 87.75%[107] (PC) 89[108]
(X360) 89[109]
(PS3) 88[110]
Special Episode – 400 Days (PS3) 78.20%[111]
(PC) 78.00%[112]
(X360) 76.88%[113] (X360) 80[114]
(PS3) 78[115]
(PC) 78[116]
The Walking Dead has received universal critical acclaim, with reviewers giving praise for the harsh emotional tone, the characters, story and the resemblance to the original comic book, although criticizing the graphical glitches. The game received over 80 Game of the Year awards and many other awards. To this day, The Walking Dead is considered one of the greatest video games of the Seventh Generation, 2012, and one of the greatest examples of video game story telling.

"Episode 1 – A New Day" received positive reviews. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the PlayStation 3 version 85.14% and 84/100,[81][84] the Xbox 360 version 83.87% and 79/100[82][86] and the PC version 83.38% and 82/100.[83][85] The game received various accolades including the IGN "Editors' Choice", PC Gamer "Editors' Choice", Xbox Editors' Choice Award, and the PlayStation Gold Award.

"Episode 2 – Starved for Help" received positive reviews. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the PC version 86.53% and 84/100,[87][90] the Xbox 360 version 86.26% and 84/100[88][91] and the PlayStation 3 version 85.90% and 84/100.[89][92] The game won the GameSpy E3 2012 award for "Best Adventure Game".[117]

"Episode 3 – Long Road Ahead" received positive reviews. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the Xbox 360 version 88.47% and 88/100,[93][96] the PlayStation 3 version 86.11% and 87/100[94][97] and the PC version 85.41% and 85/100.[95][98] IGN's Greg Miller gave it a 9 out of 10, saying "It's a disturbing, depressing and entertaining entry in a journey that's been nothing short of excellent so far."[118] GameSpot gave the game an 8.5, saying "The Walking Dead has passed the midway point of its series of five episodes with every indication that the game will keep getting better right through to its inevitably depressing and unsettling conclusion."[119] MTV also gave it a positive review, saying "Telltale has created a series of wrenching, emotional decisions in the middle of a collection of not-too-hard puzzles in a visually-impressive adaptation of the Robert Kirkman comic series (with some nods to the TV show)."[120]

"Episode 4 – Around Every Corner" received positive reviews, but slightly less than the other episodes. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the PC version 84.00% and 80/100,[99][104] the Xbox 360 version 82.50% and 82/100[100][102] and the PlayStation 3 version 78.94% and 81/100.[101][103]

"Episode 5 – No Time Left" received critical acclaim. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the PC version 94.75% and 89/100,[105][108] the Xbox 360 version 88.15% and 89/100[106][109] and the PlayStation 3 version 87.75% and 88/100.[107][110]

"400 Days" received positive reviews. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the PlayStation 3 version 78.20% and 78/100,[111][115] the PC version 78.00% and 78/100[112][116] and the Xbox 360 version 76.88% and 80/100.[113][114]

Sales[edit]
The positive reception for The Walking Dead has translated into strong sales for the game, aided by the ease of digital distribution.[121] The first episode topped the charts on Xbox Live Arcade for the week of April 30,[122] and remained at the top for two weeks. It also topped the sales charts for both PlayStation Network and Steam for a week.[123] The first episode sold one million copies in 20 days (not including iOS sales), making it Telltale's fastest selling title to date.[123] With the third episode's release, over 3.8 million episodes were delivered to 1.2 million players.[121] As of January 2013, over 8.5 million episodes have been sold across all platforms, representing about $40 million in revenue.[57] Telltale's CEO Dan Connors has stated that the iOS version represented about 25% of their overall sales, the "largest upswing" for any platform, with sale particularly high in November and December 2012, due in part due to various sales on the App Store.[57] Upon announcement of the "400 Days" content, Telltale reported that over 17 million episodes have been purchased across all platforms worldwide,[124] while by October 2013, at the time of the formal announcement of Season Two, over 21 million episodes have been sold.[61]

Accolades[edit]
The Walking Dead has been described as representing a revitalization of the adventure game genre,[125] which had been in decline since the mid-1990s.[126] Telltale have been praised for taking their previous experiences in the genre and expanding on them, whilst also incorporating strong writing and voice acting; Gamasutra and Game Developer named the studio one of the top 10 developers in 2012.[127]

The Walking Dead has garnered many other 2012 "Game of the Year" awards, notably from USA Today, Wired, Complex, GamesRadar and Official Xbox Magazine.[128][129][130][131][132] The Walking Dead was awarded "Game of the Year", "Best Adapted Video Game", and "Best Downloadable Game" at the 2012 Spike Video Game Awards; Melissa Hutchison's role as Clementine was named as "Best Performance By a Human Female", while Dave Fennoy was nominated for "Best Performance by a Human Male". Telltale Games was also named as "Studio of the Year".[133] The game was awarded "Best Downloadable Game" and "Best Character Design" for Lee Everett at the 2012 Inside Gaming Awards.[134] The Walking Dead was Destructoid's 2012 "Game of the Year" and "Best Multi-Platform Game".[135][136] Digital Trends awarded the game with "Best Writing", "Best Digitally Distributed Game", and "Game of the Year" for 2012.[137] Yahoo! Games' Flan Dering listed The Walking Dead as his "Game of the Year" and "Best Downloadable Game" for 2012.[138][139] For the 2013 D.I.C.E. Interactive Achievement Awards, The Walking Dead was nominated for eight awards,[140] and won for "Adventure Game of the Year", "Downloadable Game of the Year", "Outstanding Achievement in Story", and "Outstanding Character Performance" for the character of Lee.[141] The Walking Dead won the "Best Narrative" award[142] and received nominations for "Best Downloadable Game" and "Game of the Year" for the 2013 Game Developer's Choice Awards.[143] The Walking Dead won the "Story" and "Mobile & Handheld" awards at the 2013 British Academy Video Games Awards,[62] and was nominated for "Best Game", "Game Design", and "Original Music" for the 2013 British Academy Video Games Awards, along with separate "Performance" nominations for Fennoy and Hutchinson for their roles as Lee and Clementine, respectively.[144] In March 2013, the game was nominated for and won several Pocket Gamer Awards categories, including iOS Game of the Year.[145]

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Couldn't help but zoom in on the books behind Tim in this one picture and...

Does anyone else see "Deadline for Tim" there? :v:

LE: lol at comparing sales for a game with a completely new IP and one that capitalizes on a series that gets 16 million viewers on season launch and is basically "interrupt at given time to feel like you're contributing". I'm not saying that to poo poo on TWD - it's just kinda dumb to compare them, they might be under the collective "adventure" umbrella, but then again so are hidden object games and visual novels.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 21, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

He's right actually

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'll agree that Telltale's stuff is way better than Broken Age, but even then I don't think they're very comparable. They're going for completely different things.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

Does anyone else see "Deadline for Tim" there? :v:

It was included in one of the documentary episodes. I think some staff members gave it to him as a gift when he had to finish the script for Act I?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Christian Knudsen posted:

It was included in one of the documentary episodes. I think some staff members gave it to him as a gift when he had to finish the script for Act I?

Heh, ok. Gotta find time to watch the rest, I only got up to ep. 11, but they were amazingly good.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is there a thread for discussing Massive Chalice, or is that this thread? Couldn't find one, and search only brought up discussion in the steam and xbox threads.

I wanted to chime in and say it's a lot of fun! Not super in-depth or anything but messing around with heroes and bloodlines is easily enough fun to keep me busy for a few hours at a time.

I only wish there was a way to display the family trees of the heroes because by now mine have to look like a complete jumble. Cadet branches settling new keeps then marrying back into the main house, a bastard daughter of one house being adopted by a childless couple then marrying a cousin of her exiled father - the inbreeding's nuts. Keep defenses where your retired old heroes join the whippersnappers to save the day are also a lot of thematic fun, your heroes can get quite storied, and it's easy enough to screw yourself over that sometimes you have to fight some hilariously one-sided battle. At one point all but one of my heroes were either retired or still trainees, so a single hunter had to stealth and snipe through a horde of seeds solo. Another time all I had were melee caberjacks and I was attacked by exploding Ruptures, forcing me to only get kills with knockback abilities so they'd explode a safe distance away.

Anyway, big fan. I'd love to Let's Play it some time, if no one has already.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I'd like a thread for Massive Chalice as well, if there are enough people who've picked it up.

It's an interesting game that is...a little too janky to really play well. Some extra polish would do it a lot of good. Like you said, the inability to display families as trees is a shame, since trying to figure out who I should marry to who through nested lists is not the easiest. The battlefield doesn't have any interface for telling you the ranges/speeds of enemies, like Fire Emblem has, which is really annoying since the information on their speeds is available to the player when you inspect the enemies and since I go very hunter-centric, battles sometimes get bogged down in square-counting.

Compounding that, a lot of the documentation is either vague, or non-existent. I researched the advanced crossbow tech and I have no idea what the exact things it did was. What does the timefist actually do? I mean, something something time, but the flavor text description is super vague. I'm guessing that it phases enemies out for a turn or something, but it's bad that I have to try it out before I can know what it does.

Also I can't find documentation on exactly how relics work - do they drop only in battle? Can I appoint a person with a nickname as a regent and get it when they croak from old age, or do I need to suicide them into the Cadence at the end of a fight? Stuff like that isn't laid out anywhere and there's no manual I can find (though it might just be hidden somewhere).

This obviously isn't unique to Massive Chalice, but since it's new and it seems to have a relatively smaller playerbase the wiki isn't as exhaustive as other more popular games.

On the other hand I really like a lot of the bloodline aspects. Picking candidates for marriages and planning the handover of relics is super fun, and the fact that everybody will die no matter what you do kind of tamps down on some of my natural inclination to restart when my best dudes die, because they'll croak anyways in thirty years and I've got three more teenagers waiting to be fed into the meatgrinder. Also the random events text is pretty amusing most of the time.

I haven't gotten past about year 100, but from what I can tell the tactical game seems heavily weighted in favor of stealth classes. I was taking damage and occasionally losing people until I just switched to all hunters+shadowjacks, at which point I could perfect entire maps with relative ease. I do like that there are no "activations" like in X-COM, which means that scouting becomes super important instead of being a liability, but the stealth stuff lets you set up perfect muderchains with almost no risk.

Also is there a way to keep your alchemists from killing themselves? It's happened twice in this game, both times when I was trying to throw at an enemy three squares away and then the alchemist only tossed it one square and welp there goes my alchemist. They just seem far too random to justify using versus the ranged attacks of hunters or CC from caberjacks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I agree that Massive Chalice is fun, and kind of an XCOM lite. Finished hard iron man. Considering giving Brutal a run but would need to be a lot more committed to counting squares. I agree that invisibility classes are vital for scouting, but you also need alchemists. You just need to be aware that there is an up to 2 square scatter on a miss, and play with your positioning and activation orders to account for it. Nobody else pumps out damage like an alchemist and you desperately need them once the difficulty starts ramping up around year 150+.

The first time you run into Cradles and Advanced cradles caused a near wipe (1 survivor) and a full wipe (0 survivors) for me. Had a couple of full wipes, a few breeding issues and ended up leaving most of my keeps and stuff empty by the endgame because I wanted to save the heroes for the fights. The last child to witness the apocalypse had already been born.

I barely won the endgame, I think I would fail quite a few times on brutal before I could ever get close to a win, let alone on hardcore. Certainly worth a play if you're burned out for xcom and want to do something strategy/tactical while waiting for XCOM2. Glad I backed it.

EDIT: Relics spawn from number of monster kills achieved by that person. It happens whether they die in battle, old age or get assigned to the sagewrights.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 10, 2015

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

ShiroIchida posted:

Compounding that, a lot of the documentation is either vague, or non-existent. I researched the advanced crossbow tech and I have no idea what the exact things it did was. What does the timefist actually do? I mean, something something time, but the flavor text description is super vague. I'm guessing that it phases enemies out for a turn or something, but it's bad that I have to try it out before I can know what it does.

Timefist removes the target from the map; it will respawn on top of your party later (usually in a later battle).

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I just picked up Massive Chalice and played it all day. Reached year 150ish. Was quite fun. A bit too easy on normal. A few tips for people if they plan to start playing it. It is a good idea to have 5 keeps, so you can have one bloodline for each of the guys you send out in combat. Makes it easy to keep them as the class you want them to be. In my game i had one alchemist, 2 hunter and 2 melee bloodlines. Worked well. It does not have lots of depth, but the unique mix between CKII and Xcom is quite refreshing.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Easy was a breeze but Hard mode is continually kicking my rear end. I can't find a research/build order I'm comfortable with that gives me enough keeps to keep my army filled while also teching me up enough to survive the Advanced waves when they appear.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Just got around to finishing Broken Age. Act 2 had the perfect difficulty of puzzles for me and all of them felt well thought out, in that more hints were given to me the more I talked to people / tried combining random objects. Act 1 felt like only a quarter of a game, but after finishing the whole thing I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

The characters and world-building aren't a patch on something like Grim Fandango, and the same goes for the art style (as much as Tim Schafer wanted to build an adventure game around this guy's art, I think it simply doesn't work very well), but I'm just glad to have had a "pretty good" point-and-click to play. What I would REALLY like now is them to make another one for a much reduced budget in a much shorter time.

The documentary has been great to watch over the past few years. It looks like the final episode is coming out soon because one of the Double Fine staff on Twitter mentioned they've already watched it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
One last episode of the documentary. You can skip it, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Two things of note from this, the last episode:

1. Tim briefly mentions Spacebase. "Here's a hint, go buy someone else's games." I laughed out loud at that line.

2. The mention Day of the Tentacle a couple of times. I had forgotten about this and now I can't wait.

The rest is mostly self congratulation/flagellation (mostly the former), people saying goodbye and getting misty about moving on. Nothing essential, but it was a nice capper for the rest of the series, which I enjoyed far more than the game, and I liked the game.

• Locked thread