Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

JamJars posted:

They've already hit the half-way point in less than 24 hours so go them! :toot:

4. It took them 4 hours. If they keep it up, they could bankroll this and Psychonauts 2 without breaking a sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

jvempire posted:

Seems like DoubleFines been in trouble for a while. Psychonauts only did good way after release, plus recently they have been completely dependent on publishers. Hopefully this project will allow their creativity flow without them being worried about complete bankruptcy.

I don't think Double Fine is in particularly dire straits, and the things you describe are kind of the story for most developers. Psychonauts was many years ago, so any financial blowback from that has long since passed. There is a lot of overhead with a development studio that prohibits going out on a limb and self financing a game completely, especially one that doesn't have a "wide appeal." This is true across the board for dev studios that aren't just a few guys making iPhone games in their house. I think it's more likely exactly what they said: a desire to make a game that doesn't have to make compromises to a publisher.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

How do other people get money to make their games then? I don't think every game developer begs people.

I mean this guy is just coasting off goodwill from all these old games he made I guess. Psychonauts is a good game, but not as incredible as people make it out to be due to nostalgia and I just think it's kind of dumb that people are going to blindly throw money at the guy to make a game they might maybe like. Costume Quest is the only other game I've ever played from his studio and it's utterly terrible. Like it's just really weird to pay someone for the privilege of purchasing their product.

You get the game plus a bunch of other poo poo if you back the project. You aren't paying for the privilege.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Two men walk into a bar, and one of them says "adventure games are dead" :mmmhmm:.

Anyway, how much do you people think this is just about people being angry at them big money publishers with their focus testing an' deadlines an' sequels i have to buy every year, or is there a viable long-term business model buried somewhere in this perfect storm?

Discuss.

I don't think its about publisher spite, at least not almost $800k of publisher spite. I'm sure there's a number of backers where that's the case, but I think most of it is a genuine interest in a Tim Schafer adventure project.

I think using this as their main business model would become diminishing returns quickly, but for a few one off projects every few years that wouldn't be able to get made otherwise, I think it has legs.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Yeah, I want this game to be wholly original. I'd rather see what new ideas guys like Schafer have kicking around, instead of bootstrapping those ideas to old projects.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

When they added trophies a few months back, they changed meat circus.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Captain_duck posted:

900k just reached. How long left before the first 24 hours are up? Is it still possible to reach a million today?

8PM pacific time is when it went up yesterday. They'll easily get to that million mark by then.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

$250 isn't much if you're young, single, and have a decent job. Most of your money is pretty much disposable income at that point.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

RTS elements are officially in! LET'S GET EM OUT OF THERE.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one extremely successful Kickstarter does not a Shift In Industry make, and that implying otherwise seems like a recipe for disappointment. It would be like cheering on the more-true-to-the-source X-COM game, only to find that the Untrue Shooter X-COM was the one everyone played and will likely get a sequel.

Right, the only thing this changes is that games that wouldn't get made otherwise are now able to, as long as the scope is within reason. Now that the scope of this game can take on greater assets like full VO and the like, the production process will get even more interesting, but it's still not on the level of your Mass Effects or CoD's, and probably not even on the level of Trenched as of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Just upped from $15 to $110 because god drat, a Blu-Ray, a boxset, the soundtracks, a poster..? Holy poo poo.

Yeah, I'm considering it myself.

• Locked thread