Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

duck monster posted:

This dude owns.

I got a chance to eat breakfast and lunch with Dr. and Mrs. Sussman at Strange Loop last September.

He is amazingly bright and speaks super loving fast when he's talking about math, holy poo poo. She is super nice and I think she knows her husband is way too smart to talk to near-norms like me. She gave me one of his magazines from MIT as a consolation prize I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

jstirrell posted:

I was about to answer your question, then I found this in the process which pretty much explains exactly what I was going to say better than I could:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8706655/using-clojure-math-numeric-tower-or-any-library

Edit: I love Clojure and I've been waiting for a thread like this to show up. Is there any interest in a big Clojure effortpost here? I'm not really a good programmer or anything but I've banged my head against the wall over problems like Strong Sauce's to the point where I can probably point people in the right direction to get started with it at least. It really is an awesome language.

I love clj and have been digging around the compiler (ugh) and innards for the better part of a year now. I'd love a clojure thread if there's enough interest separate from the lisp thread here.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
ca*d*a*r bullshit isn't so bad if you actually name it something meaningful. That said I don't think I'll ever forget

Beef posted:

cdadr magicians will be shot on sight, use loving defstruct or abstract datatypes.

hahahhah

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
Anyone going to Clojure/West this weekend?

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

mrobot posted:

Ugh, I tried to get through Land of Lisp but realized in chapter 8 that I had no idea what was going on anymore. I don't know if I just didn't study the earlier examples enough or what, but I felt like it went from being an 'introduction' to being pretty intermediate-level wayy too quickly.

Working through Practical Common Lisp now, it seems to be a bit better in that regard, though definitely less fun.

I realize it's not CL but Clojure has a lot of good resources for beginners and it'll at least get you in the "Lisp mindset".

My favorite is 4Clojure - http://www.4clojure.com/

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I think that 4clojure.com works pretty well for getting the basics down

Just don't try to take the value of a macro, I crashed the poo poo out of it a few months ago.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Mustach posted:

Is this the only built-in way to compile Clojure to bytecode or does everybody just use lein and I should suck it up and use it, too?

That's a messy page but the jist of it is if you are writing a clojure only app, then you don't need to do that. If you need to interop with Java or Scala or whatever, you can load clojure.lang.RT and load up your .clj files and it'll compile them on the fly. I find this to be the most flexible approach, however if you are unable or unwilling to distribute your source, then you need AOT compilation via the :gen-class mechanism in the ns macro (preferred way), or the gen-class function.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Mustach posted:

This sounds fine. After thinking about it a bit more, compiling to bytecode may not be a requirement; my ultimate goal is to be able to jar everything up so the program can be run in the typical "java -jar" fashion.

Yup that's a perfectly fine use of it. I did make a mistake though, you will probably want to load clojure.lang.Compiler for Compiler.load/loadFile and not RT (although in order to get stuff FROM clojure you will still need RT). Just make sure your clojure source is in the classpath somehow.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Does anyone use Light Table seriously yet for Clojure development? It looks cool but I'm afraid to stray from the familiar safe haven that is SLIMV / SWANK / xterm

I was this close to using light table, and then I just started using La Clojure for Intellij and that was that.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

luxxx posted:

The fact remains that you have to work with Java to some degree to use Clojure. Learning Java is one reason I won't use it, but it's mere association with Java is another reason. I don't like Java or anything about the "Java Way," so I won't do anything to prolong Java as a language. If people stop using it, it'll go away eventually. For this reason, I won't use anything that uses Java unless it's absolutely necessary.

It's as much of a functionality thing as it is ego. I think it's important to consider both when choosing a lisp for a project.

This doesn't strike me as an argument that was born from rational thought. You should try Clojure, it's actually really good.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
Clojure does make some calls on parallelism on its own by querying the jvm for your processor count. Using data structures like Agents (and all async structures IIRC) and also explicit parallel calls like pmap will automatically take advantage of as much parallelism as is available.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

InflateableFerret posted:

The man who wrote this book is my current professor. We are currently converting Scheme code into C code. poo poo is awful. I know how this sort of stuff would be practical for companies like Cisco to not have to have programmers extremely proficient in C right off the bat, but god drat this is some banal stuff.

E: For some more advanced readings from the same author, I would recommend picking up his Essentials of Programming Languages , it really is a great way to teach formulaic programming.

You should also read The Reasoned Schemer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Civil Twilight posted:

I've been using Korma for a few small tools at work and been very happy with it.

I've been using clojureql but Korma seems way more active/up to date. I'm probably going to do the ol' switcheroo.

• Locked thread