Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Add https://www.chain-attack.com to the OP when you get a chance, good battle report podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Add https://www.chain-attack.com to the OP when you get a chance, good battle report podcast.

Hah, I even have those guys bookmarked and then forgot to add them. Done.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
someone mentioned skorne not having many UAs. that's because they get wandering UAs.

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/mkiiTyrantCommander

and FA 2!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Skorne needs UAs BAD. But hey, Im a patient man, until then Ill just punch dudes in their faces with a bronzeback.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just got done putting a min unit of storm lances together. I traded in some Orks I hadn't used in years to an LGS and got them for less than 3 dollars :v:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
TROLLS! I want to get these guys done so bad!

Here are some pictures of my assembly line.

Aristocrat
Dec 24, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with the Battlefoam army cases?

I'm thinking about buying one of the Warmachines ones and I'm not sure whether I should go with the ready made trays or the pluck trays.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
I would email the KR Multicase people (http://www.krmulticase.com/about/contactus.aspx) with your army list. They will build you a config that will fit your models.

The order I placed from them last Friday just got here today. My Battle Foam order from Thanksgiving took 2 months to arrive. Maybe they finally got through their backorders but I can't say that the wait was worth it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I checked with my local shop, and it seems that Skorne Agonizers are simply all out of stock at PP and he guessed it could take up to half a year to get them in stock. So now I'm off to hunt for a proxy for a small tormented pachyderm. Any tips?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Verdugo posted:

Need some advice on transport. I have a small (35 point) khador force which I use weekly for Warmachine, but due to some mishaps in transport this week (I usually keep them in a segmented ornament storage box) I wound up having to rebuilt / repair / repaint most of it. Do any of you have an economical way to transport minis? Everything I come up with that doesn't involve a huge case purchase either looks like garbage or doesn't cushion them enough.

You can buy just the foam trays from one of the army transport/kr multicase type websites, and then put them in a regular sized box.

Speaking of: I was wondering if we could get a list of different 'accessory' dealers in the op? I'm pretty new to this, and I don't really know the names of all the different token guys, or basing guys, or case guys. I'm sure someone like PV might, but I don't know.

Swags fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 11, 2012

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

lilljonas posted:

I checked with my local shop, and it seems that Skorne Agonizers are simply all out of stock at PP and he guessed it could take up to half a year to get them in stock. So now I'm off to hunt for a proxy for a small tormented pachyderm. Any tips?

Privateer has been a bit of a victim of their own success recently. Your best bet is probably Ebay or Bartertown

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I still stand by the term "HoMachine" but whatever.

Question from me as I really do love some of the minis of this game but am unsure on the scale, how feasible is it to play Warmachine at battlebox scale? Like one Warcaster and two of the big mech dudes, I'd love a little army that's just two or three minis but at that point scale am I missing what most of the game has to offer?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Swags posted:

You can buy just the foam trays from one of the army transport/kr multicase type websites, and then put them in a regular sized box.

Speaking of: I was wondering if we could get a list of different 'accessory' dealers in the op? I'm pretty new to this, and I don't really know the names of all the different token guys, or basing guys, or case guys. I'm sure someone like PV might, but I don't know.

Mildly on the subject - has anyone bought the stuff Advanced Deployment makes? It looks super cool but I'd love to know if it's as good as it seems. They make basehugging AOE templates and about a jillion other rad seeming markers and tokens.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Acceptableloss posted:

Privateer has been a bit of a victim of their own success recently. Your best bet is probably Ebay or Bartertown

Already checked, and with the tiny amount of WM miniatures available second hand I thought it would be easier to just find something similar and convert it. But so far I haven't found anything suitable to rebuild.

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.

lilljonas posted:

I'd give the Miniature Market a try. I've had more luck with them lately than any other online retailer, and they'll ship a blister for around $2.

It looks like they have a couple in stock right now: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/skorne-74029-agonizer.html

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

lilljonas posted:

In stock here too: http://www.meeplemart.com/collections/hordes/products/skorne-agonizer

I've ordered a bunch of crud from this place and never had a problem yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Already checked, and with the tiny amount of WM miniatures available second hand I thought it would be easier to just find something similar and convert it. But so far I haven't found anything suitable to rebuild.

Chaosmailorder has one available.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

S.J. posted:

Chaosmailorder has one available.

Cool, meeplemart didn't ship to Europe but this one seems to do it. Shipping will stil probably be an arm and a leg.

E: yes, the only available shipping option was $43 for a single blister, so no.
Maelstrom games and other UK suppliers seem to have them as out of stock at the supplier as well. So back to finding a conversion.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 11, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Flipswitch posted:

I still stand by the term "HoMachine" but whatever.

Question from me as I really do love some of the minis of this game but am unsure on the scale, how feasible is it to play Warmachine at battlebox scale? Like one Warcaster and two of the big mech dudes, I'd love a little army that's just two or three minis but at that point scale am I missing what most of the game has to offer?

It can work for a while. The battleboxes aren't always super well balanced but small games can be, and stay a lot of fun. I think even if you just push to 15 points (perhaps a highlander format, where you have one of each thing, unless you specifically only want heavies) you could sustain yourself for a long time.

If you want to do small-point heavies only, do a bit of research into casters first. Hordes is probably the safest angle--all of the factions could go beast-only for a while and be fine. And I think all of the Hordes factions have at least one warlock capable of running up to 50 points of more or less all beasts.

EDIT: 15 points can be two heavy beasts and a caster. When I play 15 that is what I run, with possibly one solo or some Shifting Stones.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 11, 2012

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

lilljonas posted:

Cool, meeplemart didn't ship to Europe but this one seems to do it. Shipping will stil probably be an arm and a leg.

Maelstrom games and other UK suppliers seem to have them as out of stock at the supplier as well. So back to finding a conversion.

Shoot I keep forgetting you're in Europe, sorry dude.

Re: tokens, I ordered some junk from Advanced Deployment and I'll let the thread know how it looks when it arrives. :ohdear:

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006

lilljonas posted:

http://wargamestore.co.uk/Hordes-Skorne-Agonizer-p-18942.html

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Sweet, new thread!

If you're in Europe, you can probably give Firestormgames.co.uk a look as well.

Pretty good prices, and they seem to be able to get a lot of models in quite quickly. I've been happier with their service lately than I have been with Maelstrom's, which used to be my go-to-website.

(don't have anything to do with them, btw. This sounded like a sales pitch, give 'em a whirl anyway).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just in case anyone was interested (probably not) but I just found out today that our retail discount for ordering battlefoam bags with the foam included is only 10 percent. For those of you work retail, you know how loving terrible that is. gently caress battlefoam.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I know if I ran a store Id be very excited about making 13 dollars on a $130 bag that was going to sit on my shelf for an unknown length of time :lol:

Their foam is scratchy as gently caress and destroys paintjobs, too.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
So, I've not been taught how to play, but after reading through the Hordes book once, I gave my friend half my models and we had a 10 point game. It was one of the slowest games I've ever played due to my lack of knowledge.

I gave him 6 druids, 1 wold guardian and Morvahna and I took 3 Skinwalkers, 1 Shadowhorn Satyr, 1 Argus and Wildborne Kaya. We had a blast playing and he said he liked the rules a lot more than what we usually play- which is 40k. So it looks like he might pick up some Warmachine miniatures when he's had a better look.

Was a close game with my Skinwalkers almost all dying to Druid / Morvahna fire but after throwing the Wold Guardian at Morvana and charging the druids with my Argus, the battle quickly turned in my favor and Morvana ended up having a Satyr horn ramming her fragile body through the dirt.

One thing we were unsure of though is Morvana's Regrowth Spell- It says "During the Control Phase this model can spend 1 or more fury points. For each fury point spent, return one destroyed Grunt to the unit." What we were unsure of is if firstly, the spell had to be cast in the previous turn, and then upkept for the cost of 1 in addition to each point of fury spent to revive a Grunt, or if the upkeep cost was implied in the resurrection- Or if I'm doing everything wrong and have no clue...

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 11, 2012

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

hobocrunch posted:

One thing we were unsure of though is Morvana's Regrowth Spell- It says "During the Control Phase this model can spend 1 or more fury points. For each fury point spent, return one destroyed Grunt to the unit." What we were unsure of is if firstly, the spell had to be cast in the previous turn, and then upkept for the cost of 1 in addition to each point of fury spent to revive a Grunt, or if the upkeep cost was implied in the resurrection- Or if I'm doing everything wrong and have no clue...

You have it right. The previous turn you cast regrowth for 4, then the next turn you spend 1 to upkeep, then spend an additional 1 for each grunt you want to return.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
As The Best Warcaster, I approve this new thread and title.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Game report! Switchin' it up a little bit and after playing around a bit with Cryx, I went back to Cygnar to try out a caster I've actually never used before: pCaine.

Played 35 points, close quarter scenario from SR2012 though we didn't used timed turns. We played relatively fast though anyway, so no biggie.

My list, that I've never tried out before:

Lieutenant Allister Caine (*6pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Cyclone (9pts)
Stormblade Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard (3pts)
* 2 Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

His list:

Faction: Khador
Kommandant Irusk (*6pts)
* Torch (10pts)
* War dog (1pts)
Great Bears of Gallowswood (5pts)
Greylord Ternion (Leader and 2 Grunts) (4pts)
Kayazy Assassins (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Kayazy Assassin Underboss (2pts)
Widowmakers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (4pts)
Harlan Versh (2pts)
Man-o-war Drakhun (with dismount) (5pts)

This ended up being a loving meat grinder. I was originally going to put Blur on the Stormblades until they hit melee and died to the Kayazy but he put them across from the gun mages, so they had a fun time hitting DEF 18 gun mages. I get first turn so I run everything up, teleport caine up the field behind a linear obstacle, put blur on the gun mages and snipe on the Cyclone so it can put covering fire templates 19" up the board.

Turn two, I use Arcane Secrets on Sylas and Thunder Strike with Caine to slam Torch backwards, splatting an unfortunate kayazy, move back, put deadeye on the gun mages and kill his dog. The gun mages kill a few random kayazy and widowmakers, and push his Darkhun back into a forest so he can't get at me this turn. Unfortunately, Superiority prevents knockdown and I only rolled 2" on the slam, so Old Rowdy still gets charged. No big deal, he's got ARM 23, so it's dice minus five. Yeah, charge attack deals twelve loving damage, taking out Rowdy's right arm. :ughh: Buys some attacks and beats up Rowdy s'more. He pops his feat this turn, I lose two gun mages to widowmakers, I take out a few random widowmakers and kayazy and the kayazy run around the covering fire templates engaging a few of my stormblades.

Turn three my stormblades do gently caress all to the kayazy (of course), and despite three focus, the damage from Ol' Rowdy is too spread out to do anything to Torch, just taking out a bunch of armor. Gun mages take out a few more things including Versh and I put a covering fire template over Caine just to keep the kayazy honest and another near Rowdy to try to catch the great bears and deal some damage if they try to get at him. 3 focus from Torch + Great bears finish off old Rowdy, and a few turns of Versh's punishment + a charge from the Drakhun this turn finish off the Cyclone. All of the Stormblades die to Kayazy + a spray from Torch + Greylord sprays. He drops Iron Flesh from the kayazy and uses their mini feat this turn. Unfortunately, my opponent earns a point this turn for scenario after murdalizing so much of my poo poo.

Turn four I'm finally in a good feat position since I'm practically surrounded by his loving kayazy. I forfeit to aim and go loving apeshit. The only things I couldn't hit with my feat were Irusk, and a Kayazy grunt that was 6" away. I killed: All of the Kayazy except the one I couldn't shoot, and unfortunately the underboss made his tough roll, two out of three great bears, all of his grey lords and all of his widowmakers :black101:. I then Thunder Strike Torch 5" back and tell him to gently caress right off, and use Caine's actual attacks to demount the Drakhun and finish off the last great bear. Unfortunately he gets a second control point as the only thing I could use to contest my zone this turn was Sylas and Jr, both of which got killed by the remaining 2 kayazy and torch, respectively.

After this are two hilarious turns that consist of me using gun mages + Caine to slowly kill off the Drakhun and Caine sitting in Rowdy's wreckage and using Thunder Strike + thunderbolt from the gun mages to constantly push/slam Torch towards my board edge, outside of Irusk's control area every turn so he couldn't allocate focus :v:

Torch gets finished off from a boosted Thunder Strike and lucky gun mage damage roll, and then two turns of boosted shots from Caine finishes off Irusk even with Iron Flesh. Hell yeah. All that remained on the table was Caine hiding behind old rowdy's corpse, a gun mage officer, and a regular gun mage :v:

Now that I've played this though, I'm getting tired of the freaking Storm Blade UA. It has never performed well for me, with pretty much any caster except Sloan. So I'm thinking about changing my list to this:

Casters: 1/1
Lieutenant Allister Caine (*6pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Cyclone (9pts)
Rangers (5pts)
Stormblade Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

Also, I was an idiot with my covering fire templates: activate the stormblades first, then put the covering fire templates on top of your own dudes, don't put them out in the middle of nowhere where they can just get run around. I still don't know if Stormblades are the right idea, but I'm not sure what else to put there.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 12, 2012

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

S.J. posted:

I still don't know if Stormblades are the right idea, but I'm not sure what else to put there.

I play against a dude that uses them a lot. Every now and then, they'll own some face and make back their points, but seem to mostly get butchered and be worthless.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Citizen Z posted:

I play against a dude that uses them a lot. Every now and then, they'll own some face and make back their points, but seem to mostly get butchered and be worthless.

:cygnarinfantry:

They're mostly just there to try and get a good charge off on a hard target, which is fine. I just hate the fact that their rat is so low despite never being able to fire their guns outside of assault, which you have to spend 3 points on, and the fact that their WA's are made specifically to be used with the UA, and is pretty pointless otherwise.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Actually, scratch that.

Hey Trollblood players, have you guys ever had success with Scattergunners? I am going to pick up some Bushwackers for Grim Angus to hang out with. Are Scattergunners+UA worth the 10 points?
\

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 12, 2012

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

dexefiend posted:

Actually, scratch that.

Hey Trollblood players, have you guys ever had success with Scattergunners? I am going to pick up some Bushwackers for Grim Angus to hang out with. Are Scattergunners+UA worth the 10 points?
\

Hmmm, I've not really tried them and had a more experienced troll player tell me not to use then but I could not get him to elaborate.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Guess I will just buy the Bushwackers for Grim then. Marked for Death + 10 man CRA = AWESOMENESS.

Oh, and a War Wagon.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
PaintVagrant: You said the battlefoam case was bad and destroys paint jobs. That sucks, since I was just about to buy one. Which would you recommend?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You are my hero, they only took £3 for shipping too! Ordered the Agonizer and tons of other Skorne poo poo that I don't need but must buy. This is starting to become a decease. I've caught the Skorne.

Binbag
May 10, 2007
I play Khador, and am thinking about starting a little Hordes force for a change of pace.

Ideally I'd play Gators, but I don't really fancy a fairly limited faction that, as my little side project spirals out of control and turns into a financially crippling obsession that results in homelessness and divorce, I can't mix up with new units etc.

My other options are Trollbloods, as many of the Warlocks speak to me and their infantry looks fantastic. I am not too stuck on their heavies though. Or Circle, the new plastic Warpwolves look boss and their infantry appeals, but there's only a couple of the casters that I fancy. I am basically in love with Kromac.

I want something beast heavy that plays differently to Khador, and that looks pretty too.

Help me thread, before I buy 2 starter boxes and a pile of crocs. Just to test the water, you understand.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Take a look at Legion of Everblight, it seems to be exactly what you're looking for. I play it and it's often beast heavy and very different than Khador. :v:

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Skorne can pull off a very beast- and minion-heavy play style. If you build Skorne around the Posse and some extras you can easily just get a gatorman Warlock and his battlegroup later on. Have a look at Rasheth, pMorghoul and Zaal for example.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
How do the Warmachine factions actually balance out?
Are certain factions easier to pick up or are can you just pick one you think looks cool and spend your time with it?

Also, other than the battlegroup box, what are good ways to get into the hobby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Binbag posted:

Or Circle, the new plastic Warpwolves look boss and their infantry appeals, but there's only a couple of the casters that I fancy. I am basically in love with Kromac.

I want something beast heavy that plays differently to Khador, and that looks pretty too.

Help me thread, before I buy 2 starter boxes and a pile of crocs. Just to test the water, you understand.

Follow your heart, your crazy ravenous heart, and play Circle. Kromac is fun and if you build an army around the wolves you're also set up well to play either or both of the Kayas, which will get you going into seeing how you like Saving the World without risking Divorce.

Incidentally if it comes to it you can field a bunch of the crocs with Circle anyway!

Whatever you do, don't buy the starter box though. I guess it's a deal but the two Arguses will leave you confused and jump up on the couch all the time.

• Locked thread