Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Nightwatcher posted:

How do the Warmachine factions actually balance out?
Are certain factions easier to pick up or are can you just pick one you think looks cool and spend your time with it?

Also, other than the battlegroup box, what are good ways to get into the hobby?

Some are easier to pick up, but you'll find the learning curve will be similar no matter what faction you select, you will get smashed repeatedly when you begin, but that's ok, it happens to us all. By easier I'll say more straight forward. Khador and Cygnar are probably more simple to get your head around than Menoth or Cryx until you learn the game mechanics, but that doesn't mean Menoth and Cryx are going to always be better or more pro, all the factions are as complicated as you want to get, it's just that the base Khador and Cygnar units are very clear in their roles and their box casters are really solid starting points.

You can definitely pick up what looks cool faction wise. I'd actually recommend this as you will only want to play and paint the faction that you think is the coolest. Playing a factions because it's considered strong isn't half as fun as playing the one you consider to be the best. On top of this with WM and Hordes you can make any faction the best by playing it well. It's a well balanced game.

I wouldn't go battle box for Hordes but the WM ones are pretty good starts. Tell us which faction you think is the coolest and we can help you kick it off!

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sulecrist posted:

It can work for a while. The battleboxes aren't always super well balanced but small games can be, and stay a lot of fun. I think even if you just push to 15 points (perhaps a highlander format, where you have one of each thing, unless you specifically only want heavies) you could sustain yourself for a long time.

If you want to do small-point heavies only, do a bit of research into casters first. Hordes is probably the safest angle--all of the factions could go beast-only for a while and be fine. And I think all of the Hordes factions have at least one warlock capable of running up to 50 points of more or less all beasts.

EDIT: 15 points can be two heavy beasts and a caster. When I play 15 that is what I run, with possibly one solo or some Shifting Stones.
Cheers mate next time I get chance scoot over to my LGS I'll check out the Warmachine/Hordes scene.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Swags posted:

PaintVagrant: You said the battlefoam case was bad and destroys paint jobs. That sucks, since I was just about to buy one. Which would you recommend?

Ive heard good things about KR multicase, they have really soft foam. The portable warfare bags are decent, and the blue foam that they sell is pretty good.

You can put the blue foam into sabol bags as well, its the same size.

Battlefoam bags arent terrible, as far as the exterior bag...theyre pretty durable and nicely made. The foam is scratchy and they are expensive, but they certainly arent the worst bags out there. Theyre just not worth their premium prices imo

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Hey S.J. you might wanna add to the O.P that if your playing in a steamroller tournament setting and your playing mercs or minions you can take your first list from one contract and one from another. So your first list can be Searforge and your second Talion, or one your first can be Gators and the other Pigs. That really helps mercs/minions on the competitive side of things I think.

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive heard good things about KR multicase, they have really soft foam. The portable warfare bags are decent, and the blue foam that they sell is pretty good.

You can put the blue foam into sabol bags as well, its the same size.

Battlefoam bags arent terrible, as far as the exterior bag...theyre pretty durable and nicely made. The foam is scratchy and they are expensive, but they certainly arent the worst bags out there. Theyre just not worth their premium prices imo

That and if you're too lazy to pin, like me, pointy bits get snagged on the divots in the foam and bits break off when you pull stuff out of the foam.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 12, 2012

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Is Cryx still legit overpowered as I heard constantly about a year ago?

Also, what's the most under-represented faction in tourneys other than Mercs/Minions (assuming there is an outlier?)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Not really, maybe trolls or Ret. Cryx are OP in the sense that they have lots of really good poo poo. Everyone has good poo poo, but Cryx has more of it. So cryx can a bigger variety of casters and units than most factions and still be really competitive, but they are still very beatable.

Binbag
May 10, 2007

Hal Gill username posted:

Follow your heart, your crazy ravenous heart, and play Circle. Kromac is fun and if you build an army around the wolves you're also set up well to play either or both of the Kayas.

You beautiful man, so close to sealing the deal for me.

The Aberrant posted:

Take a look at Legion of Everblight, it seems to be exactly what you're looking for. I play it and it's often beast heavy and very different than Khador. :v:

But I had to go poking about and have been looking at Absylonia.

Still, plenty to ponder when I should be working tomorrow. Thank Menoth for iBodger.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm definitely more afraid of Legion than Cryx, but I don't think that any faction is genuinely overpowered. Whatever power gaps exist are relatively small and get trumped by player skill.

Except for Ret, which is terrible.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Cryx isn't OP, just some Cryx casters are a complete bitch to play against even if you win. (And their battlebox cheats by having three extra points)

EDIT: What I'm saying here is gently caress Asphyxious and Deneghra, and also Goreshade (but not epic Goreshade)
EDIT2:But Terminus, the Coven, Skarre, and the rest are totally cool with me. :downs:

Mikael Kreoss fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 12, 2012

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Cryx isn't OP, just some Cryx casters are a complete bitch to play against even if you win. (And their battlebox cheats by having three extra points)

EDIT: What I'm saying here is gently caress Asphyxious and Deneghra, and also Goreshade (but not epic Goreshade)
EDIT2:But Terminus, the Coven, Skarre, and the rest are totally cool with me. :downs:

Terminus.... Dear sweet Terminus! :allears:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Played my first game today, Khador battlebox v Circle warpack. I lost, game owns.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Devlan Mud posted:

Played my first game today, Khador battlebox v Circle warpack. I lost, game owns.

Yyeeessss. It took me a few games before I won anything because I picked up pNemo for my first caster because his resculpt looks so awesome :v:. Glad you had fun though! Any questions/issues that came up that you were wondering about?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

S.J. posted:

Yyeeessss. It took me a few games before I won anything because I picked up pNemo for my first caster because his resculpt looks so awesome :v:. Glad you had fun though! Any questions/issues that came up that you were wondering about?

Honestly not that much. My warmachine buddy is pretty knowledgeable about it and I didn't really have many confusing things. It's been a long time since I've read about fury so all of that was kind of a blur to me, but I haven't been in the loop with privateer since Mk2 dropped so whatevs. It's gonna be a steep learning curve, but so far so good.

The game has a hell of a lot more depth than warhammer, that's for sure. I'm gonna hopefully try and get in a game or two a week, and get to actually painting my stuff. My only issue with the game is that it's not very popular at the one store in town I go to, so we're gonna try and change that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Devlan Mud posted:

Honestly not that much. My warmachine buddy is pretty knowledgeable about it and I didn't really have many confusing things. It's been a long time since I've read about fury so all of that was kind of a blur to me, but I haven't been in the loop with privateer since Mk2 dropped so whatevs. It's gonna be a steep learning curve, but so far so good.

The game has a hell of a lot more depth than warhammer, that's for sure. I'm gonna hopefully try and get in a game or two a week, and get to actually painting my stuff. My only issue with the game is that it's not very popular at the one store in town I go to, so we're gonna try and change that.

Good to hear. Make sure to try and start playing with some Steamroller scenarios eventually, it mixes things up quite a bit. Were you playing the Khador or the Circle?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

S.J. posted:

Good to hear. Make sure to try and start playing with some Steamroller scenarios eventually, it mixes things up quite a bit. Were you playing the Khador or the Circle?

Khador, naturally :ussr: We'll probably start mixing it up pretty soon, I'm actually fairly comfortable with the base rules (spending all your time reading rulebooks instead of painting or playing does that I guess).

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

Devlan Mud posted:

Awesome. My first game was as Cryx, got my rear end handed to me. Found out about Hordes and took to the Trollbloods. Won quite a few games with them and "got" them a lot more. I like this game a lot, with how balls to the wall it is. I hope you keep on enjoying it!

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I've been looking at The Retribution of Scryah and Khador mostly. I like both sets of models, still tryin to decide between them

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nightwatcher posted:

I've been looking at The Retribution of Scryah and Khador mostly. I like both sets of models, still tryin to decide between them

Because Retribution is a newer faction, it's not going to have as many casters and models as Khador. If you're really split on the two, I would recommend Khador, just so you have more stuff to choose from so you can figure out what kind of play suits you best.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
So what would be a good jumping off point for Khador if I wanted to build a decent smaller force that could be built into something larger

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Nightwatcher posted:

So what would be a good jumping off point for Khador if I wanted to build a decent smaller force that could be built into something larger

Any particular caster you're interested in?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I like the model for Kommander Harkevich so I will probably try to go with him. He seems like he is well suited for jack heavy play styles, which is what I was thinking of going with initially.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Nightwatcher posted:

I like the model for Kommander Harkevich so I will probably try to go with him. He seems like he is well suited for jack heavy play styles, which is what I was thinking of going with initially.

Khador typically doesn't run more than two 'jacks unless you're doing Kharchev, even with Harkevich, though he is more well suited if you want to run more of the cheaper ones like Juggernauts or Marauder/Kodiak. A good unit to start out with regardless of what caster you want is a full unit of Winter Guard Infantry + their unit attachment (officer + standard), and Kovnik Joe. They're amazing if you have a caster with iron flesh to get them up to DEF 17, but even with Harkevich they're solid as he can upkeep fortune on them.

If you're starting at say, 15 points or so, I'd probably do this:

Kommander Harkevich, the Iron Wolf (*5pts)
* Spriggan (10pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)

Spriggan is one of the factions best 'jacks overall (especially among the non-character ones), and winter guard can tackle all kinds of poo poo. You could easily swap the Spriggan for Black Ivan if you wanted, or just add him in later.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 13, 2012

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Absolutely loved the Vilmon song from Beauty and the Beast in the last thread, loving genius.

My store is starting up a slow grow league soon, and I have a bunch of poo poo I need to paint, so I think I'm going to be a dick and play this at the intro 15pt level.

Harbinger of Menoth (*5pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Crusader (6pts)
* Guardian (9pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)

The next 10 pts will be a full unit of Errants + UA, and the 10 pts after that will probably be Nicia, The Covenant, and Gravus (to finally give me some good martyrdom targets).

Thoughts?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but the more and more I look at Ret, the more I want an army of badass chromed out (but maybe a little dinged and rusty) warjacks with glowing hellfire inside.

Any tips on these assholes? I'd rather not buy all the wrong models.

EDIT: Actually, a question. In every game I've played with my Hordes against Warmachine, Warmachine seems a lot weaker in comparison, like their casters and warjacks have a lot less options because their resource pool is so much lower. Is this true? I don't mind not being the most powerful, but I really don't want to buy a bunch of minis that'll never win.

Swags fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 13, 2012

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Swags posted:

So I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but the more and more I look at Ret, the more I want an army of badass chromed out (but maybe a little dinged and rusty) warjacks with glowing hellfire inside.

Any tips on these assholes? I'd rather not buy all the wrong models.

EDIT: Actually, a question. In every game I've played with my Hordes against Warmachine, Warmachine seems a lot weaker in comparison, like their casters and warjacks have a lot less options because their resource pool is so much lower. Is this true? I don't mind not being the most powerful, but I really don't want to buy a bunch of minis that'll never win.

Retribution is largely an infantrymachine faction. Their best lists will generally include only the single discounted jack, and use their excellent infantry to do what needs done. None of the infantry choices are bad, really, but mage hunters are excellent.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Retribution is largely an infantrymachine faction. Their best lists will generally include only the single discounted jack, and use their excellent infantry to do what needs done. None of the infantry choices are bad, really, but mage hunters are excellent.

All of their infantry is good. All of it. Except maybe their sniper team. That being said, you can easily run two heavies or heavy + light with ret, it all depends on how you make your list. And with their new heavies coming out, you're going to be seeing a helluva lot more heavies in Ret lists.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Awesome. My first game was as Cryx, got my rear end handed to me. Found out about Hordes and took to the Trollbloods.

I still like cryx, but I want to focus on my trolls, so I'm in the exact same boat. I just ordered Borka, any good tips for list building with him? I know nothing about him other than he drink a bunch, I've only played maddy and horluk so far.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

boxcarhobo posted:

I still like cryx, but I want to focus on my trolls, so I'm in the exact same boat. I just ordered Borka, any good tips for list building with him? I know nothing about him other than he drink a bunch, I've only played maddy and horluk so far.

Run a similar list to Madrak basically. Borka is good at supporting infantry, but you want 1-2 heavies as well since Barroom Blitz is a whopper of a feat. You get boosted collateral damage and power attacks are free. It's crazy poo poo. If I'm going to run Borka, I go with something like

Faction: Trollblood
Casters: 1/1
Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
* Skaldi Bonehammer (3pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)

I'm more partial to heavy beasts than most but I reckon they shine with Borka and he can really get the most our of your champions. Another good idea is to ditch Skaldi for a Champion Hero so they can move through each others bases (which owns when you blitz). Other options are Long Riders with Horthol if you want to spend the points and cash or taking an Axer. Having heavies with two open fists is pretty much critical in my mind though because boosting collateral damage rolls is a great and highly unexpected way to get caster assassinations. It's especially good against tricky bullshit casters who might be hard to target or get hits on, just throw their robots at them until they die.

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 13, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Run a similar list to Madrak basically. Borka is good at supporting infantry, but you want 1-2 heavies as well since Barroom Blitz is a whopper of a feat. You get boosted collateral damage and power attacks are free. It's crazy poo poo. If I'm going to run Borka, I go with something like

Faction: Trollblood
Casters: 1/1
Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
* Skaldi Bonehammer (3pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)

I'm more partial to heavy beasts than most but I reckon they shine with Borka and he can really get the most our of your champions. Another good idea is to ditch Skaldi for a Champion Hero so they can move through each others bases (which owns when you blitz). Other options are Long Riders with Horthol if you want to spend the points and cash or taking an Axer. Having heavies with two open fists is pretty much critical in my mind though because boosting collateral damage rolls is a great and highly unexpected way to get caster assassinations. It's especially good against tricky bullshit casters who might be hard to target or get hits on, just throw their robots at them until they die.

Where's my loving Trolls writeup :colbert:

Also I'm a big fan of max Fennblades + UA with Borka for stupid threat range and DEF 15 with Iron Flesh on a unit that takes up a huge part of the board.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

S.J. posted:

Where's my loving Trolls writeup :colbert:

It's on my home pc, I fell asleep :buddy:

I'll post it after work.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

Also I'm a big fan of max Fennblades + UA with Borka for stupid threat range and DEF 15 with Iron Flesh on a unit that takes up a huge part of the board.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Add Mosh Pit and a Stone Scribe Chronicler for maximum hilarity. Tough, Def 15 reach infantry that KD when they hit and KD when they die.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Painting up my Cryx again. Gonna try to finish my 35 point Terminus list finally!

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Add Mosh Pit and a Stone Scribe Chronicler for maximum hilarity. Tough, Def 15 reach infantry that KD when they hit and KD when they die.

I always forget about Fenns. This setup rules and the other bonus is if they're tarpitting something you can always use your feat to throw poo poo at whatever they've got all piled up because hey, Fenns can't take collateral damage :c00l:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Gay Polymers posted:

Absolutely loved the Vilmon song from Beauty and the Beast in the last thread, loving genius.

My store is starting up a slow grow league soon, and I have a bunch of poo poo I need to paint, so I think I'm going to be a dick and play this at the intro 15pt level.

Harbinger of Menoth (*5pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Crusader (6pts)
* Guardian (9pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)

The next 10 pts will be a full unit of Errants + UA, and the 10 pts after that will probably be Nicia, The Covenant, and Gravus (to finally give me some good martyrdom targets).

Thoughts?

Why's the guardian in there? You already have an arc node, and a Reckoner is a far better beatstick anyways. Not too mention you're lacking the choir, so that flare gun would really help with high defense warbeasts.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I always forget about Fenns. This setup rules and the other bonus is if they're tarpitting something you can always use your feat to throw poo poo at whatever they've got all piled up because hey, Fenns can't take collateral damage :c00l:

Fennblades :hellyeah:

I have a bookmark somewhere with a pretty cool army that's converted to all be Fenn trolls. So like the fell caller, champions, are all in the style of Fennblades. I'll find it and link it here since it owns.

Despite all this I still don't own them because I hate things that are good apparently. Also my wallet since I went with kriel warriors instead, argh.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
PAINTING THREAD CROSSPOST!
After 6 months of sitting in my basement, unsure how to finish the road surface ...

MY TABLE IS DONE!! (Now I get to start working on one for my Trolls!!)

Click for HUGE:

I decided the only empire that would build a fancy bridge like this would be Cygnar.

Furthermore, if you're going to build a fancy bridge... do it for the glory of Cygnar!

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Typical Cygnar building a board to give ranged an advantage.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Typical Cygnar building a board to give ranged an advantage.

Bastards.

Everytime we have played it, we have treated the water as open terrain. To not do so, would just be ridiculous. We only treated it as shallow water if you ended your activation completely on water.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

Despite all this I still don't own them because I hate things that are good apparently. Also my wallet since I went with kriel warriors instead, argh.

I bought them just because I wanted to paint them, then realized I didn't have enough paints so I bought 30 pots and a Borka too, so now here I am. (Already had the crap battlebox). I really want a mauler but I'm just going to wait for the Plastic kits at this point. Which reminds me, is Rök in Domination and has anyone proxied that dude because, dang, he's a big drunk dire troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.

Nightwatcher posted:

How do the Warmachine factions actually balance out?
Are certain factions easier to pick up or are can you just pick one you think looks cool and spend your time with it?

Also, other than the battlegroup box, what are good ways to get into the hobby?

Get the Prime rulebook and read Page 5. Any of the casters in Prime are good starting points to build armies around, regardless of faction. Decide whether the caster you like is better suited to Infantry Support, Warjack Support, or is more of an ascended Solo Unit. The casters in Prime are mostly generalists, though some lend themselves to one of these roles better than others. Caine can support infantry or jacks, but you'll get the best use of him when he's shooting things, while Haley can hold her own in melee but does a better job of supporting infantry.

In terms of armor and striking power, it generally goes Khador > Protectorate > Cygnar > Cryx. It's more or less the reverse in terms of defense and mobility. That and unit abilities define a good bit of overall strategy, though there is enough variability in casters, units, jacks, and special abilities that you have broad latitude to do your own thing. For example, Cygnar is generally a very range-oriented faction with relatively squishy infantry and thin-skinned jacks, but it's straightforward enough to put up a melee-only list that can hold its own quite well.

• Locked thread