Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Flipswitch posted:

I still stand by the term "HoMachine" but whatever.

Question from me as I really do love some of the minis of this game but am unsure on the scale, how feasible is it to play Warmachine at battlebox scale? Like one Warcaster and two of the big mech dudes, I'd love a little army that's just two or three minis but at that point scale am I missing what most of the game has to offer?

It can work for a while. The battleboxes aren't always super well balanced but small games can be, and stay a lot of fun. I think even if you just push to 15 points (perhaps a highlander format, where you have one of each thing, unless you specifically only want heavies) you could sustain yourself for a long time.

If you want to do small-point heavies only, do a bit of research into casters first. Hordes is probably the safest angle--all of the factions could go beast-only for a while and be fine. And I think all of the Hordes factions have at least one warlock capable of running up to 50 points of more or less all beasts.

EDIT: 15 points can be two heavy beasts and a caster. When I play 15 that is what I run, with possibly one solo or some Shifting Stones.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Khador question:

In an Old Witch army, what circumstances would make a Greylord Ternion and/or Great Bears well worth their points? Assume I've got two good jacks and [EDIT: a full unit of] Nyss + UA at minimum.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 20, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Raiche posted:

The Great Bears are useful as independant assassins, that's the role they fill in any list. Not sure the Old Witch needs them as her spells/Scrapjack can do that, but maybe!

Gerylords.. um. They are good for providing concealment! I think I would rather have more Nyss.

Does the Greylord ice cage stationary spell shut down Molik Karn or dudes with countercharge? Battlecollege makes that ability sound pretty useful but I don't know what the range is like.

I meant a full unit of Nyss, by the way, but that I didn't have anything in addition to the Nyss + Jacks.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

How does this 35-point list look? (I won't be replacing either the Kodiak or the War Dog any time soon; the former looks too cool and the latter was a Valentine's Day present from my primary competitor. Everything else is up for debate.)

Old Witch
-Kodiak
-Behemoth
-War Dog
10x Nyss Hunters w/ Valachev
Greylord Ternion

Can anyone look up the ranges on the Greylord Ternion spells for me? I like the models enough to get them without proxying unless the range really is trash (8" on the Cage is the minimum if I'm to have any shot at shutting down Counter Charge/Admonition fuckers).

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 20, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

That list is solid, although I think most experienced khador players would probably tell you to just run 1 jack at 35.

Yeah, I'll try it a few different ways. Hopefully by the time I get 35 painted I can afford to either swap Kodiak + doggie for a Gun Carriage or Behemoth for a Death Star.

I appreciate all of your help! The spell ranges were pasted in IRC so I'm good on that end.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

fadam posted:

Just on the topic of balance...

I used to play WH40k a while ago and if a book was considered weak or under-powered they were pretty much hosed until their new book came out (which took half a decade for some races).

Is WMH pretty much the same way? Are Cygnar players or whoever hosed until MkIII comes out or does Privateer Press release like balance updates or something?

Also every faction gets stuff every year.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

There are some really frustrating hard counters; I think these are a much bigger deal for new players or those playing in very limited circles of friends (or both!). I can't scratch Legion without a very specific list and it's taken me games and games and a caster switch to figure out how to deal with the Karn bullet when he's protected by a Cyclops Brute. MY GIRLFRIEND wails that my pathfinders essentially ignore her swamps (although we still have a pretty even W/L rate). And the Legion player that I never beat is terrified of Cryx and loathes anyone who plays them, even if they're brand new or just using models whose art they like (like my brother).

IR SMART told me that the best advice he could give a new player was to be willing and eager to lose more or less every game, and that the best you can do is play as often as possible and get as familiar as you can with your own units. I think that's right. This game is best when you're willing to lose and learn--a side-effect of having balanced factions and a huge emphasis on tactics is that softer, newer players just lose a lot. When that happens, don't blame the models.

(In 40k, it's probably the models' fault. Here, it isn't.)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I'd add another slab, haphazard so it's not all dead flat against the ground. Or maybe some timber, depending on what sort of ruined city it's meant to be.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

CROSSPOSTIN PEW PEW MAGIC BULLETED THIS THREAD

This is mouth-watering.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I just bought a Gun Carriage. I'm not letting myself open it until I paint a bunch of stuff and write a paper, but meanwhile I can't stop turning over the box, feeling its heft and just [i]imagining[i].

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Maybe we've talked about this already, but I just saw this on the War Room FAQ (http://privateerpress.com/war-room/warmachine-and-hordes-war-room-faq):

Privateer Press posted:

Do I need to purchase faction decks to build army lists?

You can build army lists from any cards that are unlocked on your device. If you want to build an army from models outside of the cards included in the free download, you will need to purchase the appropriate faction decks.

I'm sort of horrified (though it's not like iBodger will evaporate). I'm sure my reasons are the same as everyone's.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Honestly they need to put a sheet with an IR code in with models they sell that will unlock the cards in war room for models you've bought since it came out. Doesn't help a lot of people with extensive collections, but drat it would be much nicer to have something like that.

It'd be a nice touch. I'm more concerned about people new to the game (or the edition) who're trying to put together a small starter army outside of the battlebox and don't know which direction to go in. I've bought five MkII armies now (three were for other people) and all of them included a lot of fiddling and comparing, seeing which could fit the most cool stuff into 15 points at the lowest dollar price. That's not typical, of course, but it matters to me.

And I like being able to put together lists anticipating what my regular opponents bring, and for autopsies afterward. Or, before I picked a second faction, I tried to copy down fun-looking lists for the factions I was considering, both to track combinations and just for kicks.

But if iBodger is allowed to quietly continue, this won't be a huge issue. Although it was rad being able to use it as essentially a big catalog--my girlfriend spent hours and hours ogling stuff outside her faction.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Something really badass is being built for Adepticon!

http://dev.adepticon.org/2012/03/colossals-diorama-by-privateer-press-at.html#more

Super cool. I really want to build a table.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Exmond posted:

? Im not horrified. Sounds allright considering you need to buy the deck to play the online with othe rplayers.

Let me rephrase. We don't deserve to have point values for everything out there, but having easy access to them made getting into the game much easier for me and several of my friends. It makes it easier for me to think about the game, especially competitively and especially on the go. I don't think it could possibly hurt sales, and it has certainly encouraged me and three other people to feel more comfortable pulling the trigger on purchases.

I think that not providing point values for everything in their free app, especially since they had been available through third-party apps, is a bad, sort of horrifying, business decision.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Raiche and Ashcans, that is exactly how I feel. It's not a dealbreaker, it's just that iBodger (with pictures) made it much easier to give them money, and I wish they'd adopt those functions.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I've played four games this week and I'm having at least 1-2 more. Boxcar told me to do some write-ups so here we go!

GAME 1 - TUTORIAL (6 points Khador v. my friend's Cygnar)

So my friend Josh has played Warhammer for almost ten years. He picked up some Cygnar models back in MkI even before I did, but played only sporadically, and didn't have anyone take the time to teach him, and most of his friends were pretty bad sports. I painted some of his models for Christmas, bought him a few new ones, and promised to teach him to play properly. This was that game (although we got a few rules wrong). We played without feats.

I took Old Witch & Scrapjack, Kodiak, and War Dog. I'd never played Khador before and this was all of faction the models I owned. He took eCaine, Hunter, and proxied six Rangers. We played on a 2.5'x2.5' table with a bunch of forests. I didn't realize I had Augury, which will explain most of my moves.

Round One: I set up pretty haphazardly and got the first turn. He did the same in the opposite corner. I threw Weald Something on my doggie and kept Old Witch back while sending Kodiak right and Scrapjack left up the sides. He advanced, got a few Hunter and Ranger shots onto the Kodiak, and used his speed to stay well out of reach. He moved up eCaine to fire at Scrapjack (ignoring Stealth from Prowl) and whiffed on all four shots.

Round Two: Scrapjack was out of charge range and I failed my Gallows on eCaine so I moved him up, still in the woods, so that I'd be in range to charge either eCaine or the Rangers if they didn't pull back. I used my teleport to jump Old Witch up to him, and followed with the dog. Kodiak advanced to threaten the Rangers from behind. They stayed put and joined the Hunter in unloading into Kodiak, dealing a surprising amount of damage but not taking out any systems. eCaine wounded Scrapjack and took out its arc node.

Round Three: I charged the Rangers with the Kodiak and he killed like three. I charged eCaine with War Dog and Scrapjack and whiffed a bunch, then teleported back so I'd have cover and concealment. Hunter hit Kodiak and took out its Movement; I thought that immobilized it so he just moved his remaining Rangers away (two survived the free strikes) and killed Scrapjack.

Round Four: Charged eCaine with Old Witch and War Dog and killed him. He didn't mind and was super enthusiastic about expanding his army to a better-built 15.

GAME 2 - TUTORIAL (5 points Khador v. my brother's Cryx)

I don't really remember this. He proxied six Bane Thralls and took a Slayer; I took Kodiak and Old Witch and Scrapjack. I feated turn two and set up some charges. He cast that rad upkeep where he couldn't be charged and stayed exactly where he was. I charged, dented his jack and killed four banes, and screened Old Witch with Scrapjack. He charged Scrapjack with the Banes (they were free of Kodiak), nearly killing it, and used his sweet blast centered on Old Witch and covering Slayer, Scrapjack, and both Banes. One Bane and Scrapjack died outright; Old Witch and Slayer were in a bad way. He walked over and hit me with his spear and OW died. It was awesome.

GAME 3 - NO MAN'S LAND (25 points Circle v. my friend's Skorne)

My friend Alex is a tournament player and has traditionally destroyed me. He was in a slow-grow league at 25 and wanted to play with his league list--he was using Skorne there for financial reasons. He took the battlebox (pMorghoul is his regular caster, though) plus Agonizer, Paingivers, and Bronzeback. I took eKrueger, stones + UA, Lord of the Feast, Feral, Stalker, and Gorax. Terrain didn't really matter.

The scenario, determined randomly after we picked our army lists, had an eight-inch band across the center of the table. Starting at player one turn three, whoever controlled it won.

Round One: I got turn one and moved some poo poo up. He moved some poo poo up.

Round Two: I moved some poo poo up. I put Gorax and Feral inside of stones so that I could get past Admonition and Counter Charge if necessary. I also sent Lord of the Feast nosing around his flank to hunt the Paingivers. He advanced everything to the edge of the band and put Admonition on a Cyclops, which charged ahead of the rest of his army into the zone center to kill my Stone Keeper, who'd strayed ahead to miss with a Stone Spray. Then he feated.

Round Three: Feated to push him out of the zone. Then assassinated pMorghoul with lightning because I hate that guy.

GAME 4 - CASTER KILL (same lists, except I used Kromac and dropped the Stone Keeper)

Round One: He went first and deployed some poo poo. I did the same. Put the boosted attacks upkeep on Feral and the armor buff on the Stalker. And Warpath on myself. Sent LotF up the right flank.

Round Two: He moved up with Bronzeback and Gladiator at the center, a Cyclops on each flank, and Paingivers and Agonizer behind. Then feated. He used the Gladiator animus on the left-flank Cyclops and charged my Gorax, killing him. I moved up with Lord of the Feast, shot a Paingiver with the crow, and teleported behind him in reach of the Bronzeback, two Paingivers, and Agonizer. Killed the Paingivers first, then the Agonizer (with boosted damage and an extra attack), and did five points of damage to the Bronzeback's back. Then things went kind of downhill. I forgot about pMorghoul's feat. I jumped Kromac (I didn't realize he could only Jump in Beastform) to the Admonitioned Cyclops and feated to kill him so that I could Warpath the Feral into the Shifting Stones triangle. Teleported the Feral in to fight the Bronzeback. Hit a bunch but that was all I could do. Charged with the Stalker (on my left, to his Cyclops on the right) to protect Kromac, and did a fair amount of damage, but without being able to force I had only three Fury on Kromac for next turn.

Round Three: He hit my Feral over and over again with his Bronzeback, reducing him to one point of damage and pushing him to within reach of Kromac. But he whiffed badly. Cyclops took out the Mind aspect on Stalker and Gladiator killed the Lord of the Feast, who'd done awesomely. I cut Kromac for four fury and spent it all restoring aspects, then charging and killing the remaining Cyclops. Feral forced for four and Warp Strengthed to kill the Bronzeback (it was awesome) and then Stalker did the same to beat the poo poo out of the Gladiator. Charge attack failed, unfortunately, so it wasn't enough to do more than kill an aspect.

Round Four: Kromac only had six life left and nowhere to push damage. pMorghoul advanced in past my Stalker and got a spell assassination. Gladiator could've thrown my Stalker into Kromac even if the spell had failed. Good game.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 9, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

!amicable posted:

I don't think that's fair to the game to be honest. Half the fun of WMH is having a fat greasy feat drop right when you think you're ready to go for the kill, or whatever.

It's also one of the more unique mechanics.

(also the lists you dudes used were sort of tough from the perspective of a newer player since they involve lots of fiddly rules- but whatever, trial by fire.)

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I know the Cygnar player tends to save his one-use tricks (we have played a lot of D&D) and figured use of feats would do me a lot more good than him. This was only like his fourth MkII game, and his first in almost a year. We'll put them back in next time, and hopefully have enough models that it won't necessarily be such a weird matchup.

THAT SAID, neither of us had any idea what was going on with my list. I normally use pKrueger and some lights for tutorials, but didn't feel like mixing focus and fury after so long from the game, and was eager to try out my new Khador for the first time.

Only tangentially related: when I'm going against new players, I like to pick things I'm unfamiliar with or that match up poorly against my opponent, then play my hardest. I'm new enough that this has tended to work out quite evenly. I also try to set it up so that the game zero is sub-battlebox: caster and a jack or two. Then for game one, add in the single dealie that made the player attracted to the game in the first place. Does anyone have any other tutorial tricks?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Manifest posted:

I have some warhammer friends who are all getting into small warmahordes forces.
I've had my eye on those gator men minis for a while, are they a decent force, and where should I start if I want to build a small group of them?

Blackhide Wrassler, Bull Snapper (or one of the other heavies plus Boneswarm), full Gatorman Posse, and your warlock of choice come out to 15 points and will own hard. This is how my gf started and now she beats me all the time.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I finished the unit of Druids I've been working on forever:

I've already posted most of the rest of my army here and there, but it's all at my imgur: http://sulecrist.imgur.com/all/

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Does anyone else have a spare Decimator sawblade? I want to make the Khador starter-box Juggernaut into Torch. I know it's a fairly rare bit, but I just thought I'd ask. :shobon:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Since the search isnt working correctly I have to ask this question. I appologise if it's already been asked.

For my Hordes faction (because I havent spent enough money) I wanted to play Skorne.

Any suggestions for caster combinations? Id only go as high as 35 points for now.

What do you have already?

EDIT: If you're brand new, I'm sure other people can recommend other things, but my friend says to get a battlebox, Bronzeback Titan, Paingivers, and an Agonizer. That's 25 points or so. He runs those plus Nihilators and a Cyclops Brute (which you could convert from one of the Savages from the box) in almost every list. If you wanted a second caster to play with right away, he recommends eHexeris (Lord Arbiter Hexeris) or Tyrant Xerxis.

EDIT AGAIN: PV, who knows much more about Skorne than I do, beat my edit in, but given that we've listed exactly the same things I think I'm on the right track. :)

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 23, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Finished painting my 35-point army! I've got more than that painted, but this is the first time I've been able to put the army I want to play on the table and have it all be done.

My last barrier was eKrueger and the Tharn Ravager White Mane. Both models had been sitting unhappy, half-basecoated, on my shelf for over a year. Please ignore my finger.

LOW-QUALITY ARMY SHOT

Larger pics, and the rest of my painted stuff, at http://sulecrist.imgur.com/all/

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Thanks everybody! I'm really pumped about it too. I've only got a few unpainted Circle left, but I think I'm going to get my Khador up to 25 points painted next, which should take me until mid-May at this rate. (10 of those points are Nyss Hunters, so they'll work for my Circle, too.)

Verdugo, tell your wife it was super easy. I just got a little container of autumn-colored spongey stuff (Army Painter I believe?) and glued it in places that contrasted with the colors on the model. It unifies the army and distracts the eye from a lot of my mistakes, and if she hasn't based her stuff yet, I highly recommend she dump colorful crap all over her bases. And thanks!

Sab669, I actually have really shaky hands, too. I had to teach myself to brace both arms and control my breathing, but a lot of my painting is just timing and gently steering the shakes into laying paint onto the model. Also, bright light is critical. I don't do detail work at all on a day that it's really bad, just block out color or even just basecoat. Even an all-brown (or blue, or red) dude is better than a part-black-spray-but-not-in-the-crevices dude.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Malloreon posted:

Where's the best place for list advice?

I rely on:

-the Something Awful Forums
-Muse On Minis, Focus & Fury (and their boards/blogs, sometimes)
-IRC: #tinypewtermen
-local tournament-regulars in my FLGS

You're going to have to take what people say with a grain of salt, but at least there's a little bit of accountability. I'm pretty new and the nicest thing about #4 is that a lot of times you can see their cards or, if you're super gentle, borrow their dudes for proxy games!

EDIT: The nicest thing is actually that they can watch you and give you meaningful feedback, actually. But borrowing models is definitely a perk.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's the most hilariously prejudiced thing I've read ever with regards to wargaming. Newsflash, all gamers have lovely social skills. What a douche. I mean, maybe it's the case, but the owner comes off to me anyways as a huge tool.

I mean, it's really possible that this store's crop of (a half-dozen? dozen?) dudes are just disproportionately bad. My old FLGS had an unusually hostile cluster of 40k players despite really friendly WHFB and Flames of War groups. They were good guys, but terrible teachers. Sometimes it just happens.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Pfhreak posted:

As a press ganger for Privateer Press who has recently seen his local store grow from 4 players to over 30, there are definitely players who can create a hostile environment to new players. And it isn't always the outright rude players that cause problems.

Our approach was to, for a few months, have one player around with a few battle boxes ready to play demo games on a 2x2ft board. (Or run demo games between two newbies.) This generally means not playing on those days, and chatting up people who come to check out what's going on with all these tiny metal men. It usually goes something like, "I see you checking out the Warmachine table! Those things there are giant, steam powered robots controlled by that wizard there.... If you've got a few minutes, I've got some battle boxes here if you want to play. Yes, battle box games are a legitimate point level to play at, unlike that other minis game." (A little playful sparring with Warhammer folks is par for the course.)

When you run the demo, leave off the feats, and emphasize the power attacks and brute force your jacks/beasts can inflict on their foes. When you tell people that they can pick up your jack and throw it at another jack their eyes usually light up.

You'll probably have a few players who are willing to run these types of games when you aren't around. I was lucky in that almost everyone at my store was open to running a battlebox game (thanks Corbeau!) from time to time.

You'll see a few people pick up the battleboxes, since hey $50 isn't that much for a game these days. Make sure you're around to play against them until there is enough of a young community to support itself (probably 3-4 regular players.)

If you run a journeyman league, make sure you start everyone level set as much as possible. Insist on using the battleboxes, or some very limited set of battlebox equivalents (because who would buy the Circle box, amirite?) This prevents the older players from powergaming their initial set. Start with a clear goal -- get everyone to 35 points, get to 35 points painted, etc. Experienced players should be starting a second (or third) faction if they want to participate.

Yeah, this problem can be solved by 1-2 very, very helpful people really preaching the game regularly to new players and building a new community. You (OP) should be one of those people.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Manifest posted:

What's a good model to add to a skorne box to round it out to 15 points?
I'm still ridiculously new at this so I'm not sure what anything does.

Paingivers and an Agonizer.

EDIT:

Paingivers manage your Fury and give you buffs. The first part is critical; the second is icing. In my limited experience, they are as auto-include for Skorne as Shifting Stones are for Circle.

The Agonizer is like an aura debuff on enemy beasts. It's easy to kill, but having it behind your big beaters makes it much less likely that they'll be knocked out in melee. It also stores Fury, which can come in handy in later turns I guess?

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 26, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

What are peoples thoughts on transport and storage solutions for Warmachine? My friend has one of those BattleFoam bags, but I don't like how rough the foam is, or the price-point of the bag. I was looking at these guys: http://portablewarfare.com/products/ but wanted to check in here first.

I use a metal toolbox and magnetize my bases. It works very well. If you use enough magnets they don't bounce around at all. Plus I look like a renaissance man instead of a renaissance, man.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

dexefiend posted:

What do you guys think of my Legion of Everblight color scheme? I haven't done any shading or highlighting. I am just working towards the blue flesh, with German Field Grey, and German Grey as main colors of the armor.

I also added some colored trim to Severius.

Uh, I loving love it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Dorakyura posted:

Now, I just need to get in on one of those painting challenges...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469814&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's not too late to get in on this saga! If you oath for April in the next day or two nobody will notice, and we are SUPER CHILL.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

For 25 pt. Skorne, are there any major problems with:

pHexeris
Gladiator
Bronzeback
Paingivers
Gatormen Posse
Paingiver Task Master

or

eHexeris
Gladiator
Bronzeback
Cyclops Savage
Paingivers
10 Venator Slingers

?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Both very solid lists. The onlycatch is who is hex2's node?

Any advice? I was thinking the Savage, since future sight could be cool in rolling offensive spells.

EDIT: Also, I know what all new Skorne players should pick up, but I don't know if there're any things that they should avoid. Anything commonly identified as a Trencher- or Cinerator-level trap? (I'm not starting Skorne, by the way.)

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 17, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Incidentally, the person who may be starting Skorne already has a fully-painted Gatorman Posse. Other than pHexeris, do they fit with some casters better than others? The Morghouls, for example?

EDIT: Answered right before I asked. Cool!

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 17, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DigitalAdhesive posted:

So I'm starting a Cygnar army - I like the looks of a lot of the models, along with the general theme. I don't know a lot about Warmachine (old 40k/Fantasy player here), but I've done a little bit of research. Everything I've read suggests that a really competitive Cygnar list has a lot of mercs in it, and, unfortunately, I'm more interested in a cool theme army that looks badass on the table.

I love the idea of a dug in gun line and throwing out a bazillion shots and templates per round, forcing the enemy to whether through it and be funneled left and right from covering fire templates. This list has virtually no melee in it - which I'm sure is a big weakness, but does this look like a list that could be fun and mildly competitive? And if not, what would you change?

Listen--and please don't take this the wrong way, because I want you to get into the game and get excited about the game and learn to love your little lightning Americans. Start small. This isn't like Warhammer (which I played and loved!), where you need a thousand points to start, and then you learn with that thousand points. Start very small, like 15 tops. You don't have to get the battlebox; I never did, and I think you might as well start by playing the caster you're most interested in and so forth. But start with just a few models. Try them out, get them painted, get a feel for how the game works and what your style is. If you want your army to look badass on the table, it's far more impressive to have 15 points painted than 50 points, 15 of which are painted.

Someone else can recommend 15-25 points of Sloan and friends to start a Cygnar pool with. I think Sloan, the heavy kit (magnetized if that's your thing, made into either Cyclone or Defender if it isn't), Black 13th, Hunter (you will want one of these, especially playing against other battleboxers), and a Squire. If you really hate this for some reason, you can swap Hunter and Squire for Grenadier, Reinholdt, and the Trencher solo, all of which are on your big list (more on that in a second). For your first few games, don't use the Black 13th at all, use your 11 points of other stuff (which should be pretty balanced against the other boxes except for how shooty you are). Then go from there.

And Theme Forces are really stupid. They are terrible for new players for lots of reasons. And they aren't really all that Themey, either. (In my main faction, they don't really make much sense at all fluffwise.)

EDIT: and that fifty-pointer doesn't look fun and mildly competitive, it looks like you'd get jammed at the top of turn two and then spend the rest of the game watching your dudes die. I am not a high-points player but my impression is that's going to be really boring to play with and against, boring to paint, and not tough to overcome.

EDIT AGAIN: also all of those templates are going to make your turns really long and there are factions out there (well, one) whose entire army can naturally ignore your main gimmick. I also don't really know what you'd do about scenarios.

EDIT YET AGAIN: okay I think it actually looks kind of fun. But still, take my earlier advice.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 20, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

gobbledygoat posted:

except the boneswarm

The whole faction is designed to do what he does, and he often gets picked off before he has a chance to get some tokens. But they're great en masse with Maelok (Maelok's tier list is pretty cool, I think) and the model is awesome and is, IMHO, fine in casual play. I think it's a great late-game piece for countering the solos that've been hiding in the enemy's backfield (although there are several Blindwater things that can do this) and having a nonliving beast is sometimes a big help.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

TheRupert posted:

PP announced a new Cygnar Plastic Heavy Jack Combo Kit @ Adepticon. With this kit you can either build an Avenger, Centurion or Hammersmith.

Here's a pic courtesy of Bell of Lost Souls: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/04/warmachine-cygnar-minis-unveiled-at.html

holy poo poo! also, it looks like they fixed the Centurion's spear and the Hammersmith's maracas.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

S.J. posted:

Someone tell me that this is a bad idea so that I won't spend more money :smith:

I don't know poo poo about poo poo but this looks pretty drat good in a two-list tournament format.

EDIT: oh it's p

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 23, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

[quote="PaintVagrant"]

We agreed Black Ivan was fine but Behemoth is guaranteed to be dry basically every turn. No Wishnailer or even a Koldun Lord. It seems pretty thin even if Conquest makes his own focus.

EDIT: If he'd traded the second unit of WGI and the second unit of Doom Reavers for Fenris, a Koldun Lord, and, like, anything else (rockets and Wishnailer come to mind) he might have been okay. But this looks like PP was just trying to fit in as many bodies as possible in order to show off the Kraken's furnace ability.

Although it kind of looks like these are the dude's own models, so I just don't know.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 25, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Manifest posted:

I'm relatively new to the game and keep hearing the term "kill box."
What does that mean? Is it when you fill up your health boxes?

I haven't played much of it but a lot of games (even ones where there's something else going on) starting on bottom of the second or something if your caster gets within 10" (8"?) of the edge, you lose. It's the most common scenario; it's simple enough that you don't really need to look it up. (Well, I do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

#tinypewtermen is on synirc, right? Couldn't seem to find it when I was looking earlier this week.

Yes. Come in and say hello!

• Locked thread