Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Overheard when I was in our Nuclear Medicine department today: "I don't know if I can drink this barium, do you know if it's gluten free?"

For gently caress sake, just drink the loving barium!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

I have a feeling the doc might want to repeat the study.

At least I don't have a pannus.

I got my cpap about 6 months ago and use it every night. About a week ago, I went to bed and was really stuffed up from a cold, so I couldn't wear my cpap. I didn't realize what a night of stopping breathing was like, but I could not function the next day. I guess when you stop breathing about ever 1.2 minutes it has a negative effect. who knew?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

:hfive: CPAP brother. Impressive that you got used to it so fast, it took me a very long time to be comfortable sleeping with it. I don't sleep without it now, not even naps. Sleeping through the night is a beautiful thing, eh?

I got used to it in about a week. I think the fact that my schedule puts me in bed at about 11 and up again at 5 probably helped me adjust. Just too drat tired to wake up.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I'm in the market for an enamelled cast iron dutch oven. Amazon has the lodge 6 quart bad-boy for $50. The 7.5 quart one is $75. Is it worth the extra $25 for the added capacity, or will 6qt do the trick for most applications?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I cook for a family of 4. If we have company I cook for as many as 8.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

therattle posted:

I think you know the answer. Why you need validation from a group of strange people on the internet is a matter for you and your therapist. (Mind you, you've probably got bigger fish to fry).

Validate meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

Do not buy Lodge enameled, it's crap now. The enamel started flaking off mine on the third use, and the Lodge customer service person I talked to lied to me and gave me poo poo about it. Thank gently caress for Amazon returns. If you check the reviews, they all go to poo poo after about 2009.

Oh wow. Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet. I'll have to check the local antique stores for some oldie but goodies.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm missing why you want enameled, though, instead of just cast iron?

Its my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I plan on doing a lot of tomato based, or heavily acidic dishes, that enameled is the better option?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Is the whole tomato/acid is bad to cook in non-enameled iron just a suburban legend?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Well, I didn't mean to light that fuse.

So I think for my dutch oven needs, I'll be looking at a regular cast iron job instead of enameled.

And just for the sake of argument, I use my copper clad pans when I need to vary temperatures during the cooking process. For example, if I'm searing meat, then sweating aromatics in the pan, then reducing a pan sauce.

I use my cast iron skillet if I'm doing something that requires only one temp, like making sawmill gravy or cooking a steak.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Does anyone have the 'How to Cook Everything' iPad app? Its really well reviewed, but is it worth the $10? Or should I spend the $10 on schlitz?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

Never buy beer that sounds like a bodily function.

So no Schlitz AND no Blatz? Dammit!

wafflesnsegways posted:

The recipes are as bland as ever, though.

Thanks. I'm surprisingly not a fan of bland food, so I'll pass it up at least until I see it on sale.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

I went to make lunch and my fridge was full of chicken juice. Everywhere. I had to pull EVERYTHING out and soap it ughhhh.

When life gives you chickens....

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

When next there is a mod challenge, I propse chickenade. Boil one whole chicken for 30 minutes. Remove the bird and do what you want. Mix in a quarter cup of sugar and strain into a container to cool, serve over ice.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I was in Japan, several times I was surprised to bite into what I thought was a chocolate-filled pastry, only to find that funky sweet-bean paste. The only decent Japanese desert is green-tea flavored soft serve.

Ok, business travelers: if I have to choose between a Homewood Suites and a Holiday Inn, I should pick Homewood, right?

Oh, and I got a new job.

Homewood Suites definitely. I mean you have Home...so its bound to be homey. You have wood, which means easy access to whores, and you have Suites, which means you can keep the hooker gagged and bound in a different room while you're masturbating to the teletubbies.

Its all in the name, man.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I don't have any restaurant recommendations for Bangor, sadly, but the last time I was there (about 15 years ago), when driving by McDonalds, they were advertising a McLobster roll. Sometimes I regret not getting one.

I stopped at a little shack on the roadside that sold fresh seafood and boiled lobsters, lobster rolls, etc. I don't even know if it had a name, but by god it was delicious food.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Picture a tuna salad sandwich, but with chunks of lobster meat, a tiny bit of mayo, some chopped green onion, chopped celery, and a dash of tobasco on a buttered, toasted roll.

They can be very delicious if done properly.

E: and usually some lime or lemon juice in the mix.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well hello chat thread. I didn't see you there.

Has anything interesting happened in the last 450 posts?

I got talked out of buying enameled cast iron cookware. Um....uh....that's about it really.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

people reuse paper toweling? :psyduck:

I throw a paper towel over dishes when I reheat stuff in the microwave. It seems like a waste to just throw them out, so I will use them on multiple dishes and yes, if they're not completely soiled I'll rinse and reuse them.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

This is a good commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

scuz posted:

As someone in IT:

Don't Do It.

Truer words were never spoken.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Toast posted:

I have a mysterious throat ailment, one of the possible causes is acid related and if I can solve it this way I may avoid basically having my throat roto-rootered. I'm hoping to god it's not permanent.

If its acid errosion of your throat it is semi-permanent. First, you'll be given the option to have the throat stretching done under a local or a general anesthesia. The correct answer here is general every time. They'll say "Lets try it with local first" to which you answer "No loving way"

The time between stretchings varies, but is usually between every 6 months to every couple years.

Expect about a day for recovery time.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Cake Flour is lower in one of the proteins that makes gluten, so if you use cake flour, you can mix more than you would with AP flour. Its also milled finer, so it hydrates more quickly.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

mindphlux posted:

loving GOONS AND CAST IRON I SWEAR TO GOD

Its a tool just like any other tool. I would never bash anyone for having a sentimental attachment to something handed down from their family. I'd love to have something that belonged to my mother that I could associate with my memories of her. Cast iron has that kind of longevity, so its natural that people would be sentimental.

As far as functionality, its a good pan for some things and not for others. No one piece of cookware is the be-all end-all of every recipe. There are things I prefer my cast iron skillet for (pineapple upside down cake, corn bread) over my copper stuff.

To completely dismiss it as a tool because a general consensus of people in a group like it is just as goony and spergy as anything else.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

My wife was talking with one of the competitors on Food Network Challenge. Apparently Kerry Vincent is completely unable to function without the producers talking in her ear. The woman said that Kerry's earpiece broke during one of the competitions and she completely shut down her commentary. I like to think that she's really just a bitch-bot.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Which reminds me. Titty-loving is fun.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Mr. Hat.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

Pretty much. Other things I don't enjoy include being sat upon and getting semen in my eye.

C'mon, everyone does it (SFW)

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Show of hands. How many of you cut a hole in a sheet so that you can procreate with the womenfolk without all that sinful nudity?

What the hell, people?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

No. Tits don't usually have stubble between them. I mean sure, there's often a stray nipple hair every once in a while, but if you get a brush burn from tit loving you might end up with a restraining order keeping you 300 feet away from zoos, SPCAs and Alabama.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Happy Hat posted:

Seriously, titty-loving looks uninteresting. Now I cannot attest to that fact myself, since none of my previous lovers has had boobs which were long enough to actually wrap around my junk. I am having hopes from my wife though, as gravity seems to gradually elongate them. We may get there when she's 60 at the rate they're approaching her waistline.

Also, a question, is then and than interchangeable?

I'm not gonna question what any two consenting adults do in their bedrooms. If you both enjoy it, then go for it.

No, they are not interchangeable. "Then" indicates the next in order as a function of time. "I ate my entree, then I had my dessert"

"Than" is a conjucntional particle that usually accompanies a comparison. "My entree was better than my dessert"

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Affect and Effect are not interchangeable.

Affect (a verb) means 'to influence' "The shaved truffle affected the taste of my pasta dish"

Effect (a noun) means ... hmmm ... an outcome. "I didn't use enough oil in the pan, the effect was that my scallops stuck"

A split infinitive is typically when you have an adverb (it ends in 'ly') after the word 'to'. The classic example is "To boldly go where no man has gone before". It really should be "To go boldly where no man has gone before" to be correct.

A dangling participle just means that the subject of a participle (usually ending in ING) is not evident. "Wishing I could cook, the broken oven taunted me" is a dangling participle, because the "wishing" applies to me, but the only subject in the sentence. "Wishing I could cook, I cursed at the broken oven" is correct.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

In my home town, the boy scouts were a way for the dads to all get together and hang out while the boys ostensibly learned something. What I learned is that boy scouting sucked.

Also, there is a gorilla lose in the zoo in my town. SWAT teams on site.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

And the list of things that mindphlux hates grows longer and longer.

Edit: If you had a quart of raw milk, what would you make with it?

Phummus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 19, 2012

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Cheese.

Give me more to work with here. I've made cheese with just milk and an acid (Lemon juice or vinegar) before. I've never done a renant cheese. Any suggestions for what kind of cheese would be most desirable?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Does anyone have a link to, or the recipe for the One True Hummus?

I went to the Indian Grocery the other day and grabbed some Tahini, a couple pounds of dried garbanzos and a few other non-hummus things. I'm searching all over to find sumac, but that's tough to come by apparently.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I'll toss in some Reese's at the last minute.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Toast posted:

I should really try making it to this recipe (cut down a bit for a domestic FP) and taking/pics throwing it on the wiki as I don't think we have a hummus recipe up there.

I'll do pics when I make it. I'll do the soak tonight and the hummus tomorrow night as long as nothing goes haywire in the ol' domestic life.

My plan is to soak 1 cup of dry, cook them (which should yield about 3 cups cooked), put them in the food processor with 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, around 2 Tablespoons of tahini, and the juice of a lemon and spin them up. Then I'll drizzle in extra virgin olive oil until I get the consistency I want. Should I expect the final product to firm up in the refrigerator a bit because there's several different kinds of fat in there?

Phummus fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 21, 2012

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks. I'll modify my plans.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

When I roast garlic, I cut the top of the head off, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, wrap in foil and throw it in the oven for an hour or so at 350. You mentioned using the oil that you simmer the garlic in. Can you describe your garlic roasting technique as well? I would think prolonged exposure to heat would reduce the fruitiness of a good olive oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Chick Fil A's owners are very conservative christian types and financially support groups like "Focus on the Family", etc. Some college kids with nothing better to do decided to hand out flyers at NYU stating that the company as a whole will want to know about your sexual orientation if you apply for a job there. And apparently some cross dressing Wilson Philips impersonators decided to do a music video.

Day in the life, I suppose.