Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Echeveria posted:

So my husband has to do a test called a fecal fat test. It's disgusting, but he has to eat a minimum of 100 grams of for 2 days

I easily eat that much feces before 9am each day. I don't see the problem. Bootstraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I used to live in cali so, you know, i love ethnic food. have you ever had 'cado? haha, uh, no, not like the ones in your groce'. You gotta pick 'em off the tree, breh. 'Sthonly way.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
i drive all the way from frisco to pick these cados frescos

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Looks pretty depressing to me

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

El Jebus posted:

That was a tasting I did with some friends. 2007-2014 tasting in two sets, 2007-2010 and 2011-2014. 07 and 08 were pretty good still, 09 was an off bottle that had a hint of funk and Brett but wasn't sour or gross* anymore. 2010 was bland and boring. '11 and '12 were drat delicious and '13 and '14 were decent but not great.

What's Brett?

vvv thanks!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 4, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
America's Test Kitchen or SAVEUR or Bon Apetit or somebody reviewed salt slab cooking indoor and outdoor and said that it makes absolutely no difference except when it prevents your food from getting grill marks. There is apparently no benefit at all, and it does not impart any detectable saltiness to your food.

I can't be arsed to find the article. Trust me though.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bunnielab posted:

For non baking I totally agree.

Also, Rachel Ray is hawking pet food now it seems? loving lol.

"Nutrish" pet food has been out for years. Surprisingly, it is one of the healthier foods, as it has a better meat to filler ratio than pretty much every other dog food. This also means it's probably the best thing she's ever put her name on.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

therattle posted:

His recipes all use the bump as the unit of measurement for small quantities.

"Chop your onion finely using a sharp credit card. Add to oil with a bump of cumin, two bumps of paprika, and a rock of grated ginger. Sauté until onion is transparent and then add two dime bags of garlic".

This feels like an In Living Color sketch (in a good way)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
What a bunch of bitchy dipshits.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Brady posted:

No, my point was that you're bashing people that (presumably) use stereotypes to categorize a large group of people, by doing that very thing

#gbs posters are people too and just because you have silly preconceived and ill informed notions about us doesn't make us less of a poster

And I agree that last post was very poorly worded

Is it possible that you are being uh 'persecuted' for being a terrible poster and not for being a gbs poster?

I mean, you are in the cooking subforum and last page you were making fun of a dude for having a preference in knives. I'm just saying, like, maybe its you. Maybe you're the dickhead or just plain stupid (sorry for your lots) and the problem is not actually everybody else misunderstanding you or being mean or prejudice or whatever. Maybe "#gbs" is a thing you try to hide behind and use as an excuse for being constantly shut down by people who think your posts don't contribute anything worthwhile or funny? I'm just spitballing, here. Something to think about.

So anyway, I guess that av does sort of look like Doritos. Ha-ha :)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

yeah uh everybody knows the meme; try fark.com if you're feeling oppressed. Posts like rofl up there come off like cargo cult garbage. We get it. You're "from gbs." We're all "from gbs" - there's not a person in this thread who hasn't participated in some discussion there. You don't have to act like a loving idiot about it. Good luck. Seriously, check out fark. It's right up your alley. I mean that in the least-offensive way possible.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

whoflungpoop posted:

I was laughing at the guy who made a sexist joke about me but thank you for your earnest and not at all mentally unwell reply

thank you for your diagnosis whoflungpoop.

e: nobody here was sexist. hth. you're paranoid and have a persecution complex just like your pitiful white knight

Tom Brady posted:

It's funny that you are actually and are just clueless

it's funny that you don't go back to failing to post in fyad

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Brady posted:

I have literally never posted once in FYAD but it's pretty funny how terrified you guys are of that forum, to the point where you have a literal conspiracy theory like I'm some failed FYAD superstar wanna be

You literally made a fantasy about a guy named Tom Brady on the internet

sorry, i didn't read your entire post history. i assumed one of your 21 probations was probably fyad because ralp was in there. my mistake.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Brady posted:

Oh cool, and now the slut shaming comes out

slut? go on. please.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Brady posted:

Actually you're right, that was probably an inaccurate use of that word. Whatever weird thing you have going on upstairs that makes you think its ok to act like a person has or needs a white knight

Well, I don't think it's okay and that was my point.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

People need to drink less stuff high in sugar.

Also, someone gave my cheap good vodka a high rating, and now I can't find Monopolowa anywhere. loving vodka snobs, taking my cheap mixers.

I remember Monopolowa! It's actually made of potatoes, like GOD intended. You used to be able to get a handle for 9 bux and it was totally drinkable. Haven't seen it anywhere in over a decade.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Ashens reviewed the Egg Master. Pretty funny watching the egg squirm and flop out. Money shot at 8:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFP5mmPZe_c

What a world, get rich by coming up with progressively retarded ways to cook the simplest-to-cook food.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I remember an ep where he built a crane for lowering a turkey into a deep fryer.

e: here it is

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 12, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

sweat poteto posted:

Idgi what's wrong with a multi layer steamer?

he preaches about never having a single-purpose device/utensil/appliance and then builds a chicken-parts-baker out of three colanders.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

SubG posted:

There's also the stupid terra cotta pot thing. And the fact that he freaks out over the idea of anyone who's not a `professional' sharpening knives.

I mean I'm not exactly in love with Kenji the way that the internet seems to be in love with Kenji, but as far as stupid food celebrities go he's way the gently caress better than Alton Brown.

I remember that, that whole stupid terra cotta pot with the ring of foil and whatever else. Even on a first viewing, my roommate and I discussed whether alton really expected anyone to run to lowe's and buy terra cotta pots and cinder blocks or whatever to smoke a piece of fish or whatever the gently caress that ep was about.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Drink and Fight posted:

I love the baking show. Everyone is just so nice to each other. :3:

Also:

The United States Department of Agriculture says a sandwich must contain at least 35 percent cooked meat and no more than 50 percent bread
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/14/dining/field-guide-to-the-sandwich.html?_r=0

Hmm, the document doesn't say it can't be pureed.

Someone should make a line of technically-correctly-labeled troll foods just to gently caress with the FDA employee who has to update these definitions

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Might want to :nws: that. It's not nudity, but my boss would probably ask me to have a chat if she saw that on my screen.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Which variety of basil is the one that has round, smooth leaves and tastes peppery? All I've been able to find in the last two years is the pointy, barbed-leaf variety that tastes like anise.

I desparately want to grow a shitload of real basil.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Is there more to "whirled peas" than that it sounds like "world peace?" I've never really understood how anybody thought this clever enough to put on the bumper stickers I used to see as a kid. The "visualize" always seemed like it didn't fit either, as it isn't punny and it also isn't something that popularly precedes the phrase "world peace" AFAIK.

Always seemed real dumb to me.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Like maybe it would work as part of a canned mushy peas commercial where there's a pageant contestant who in the Q&A says "if I could have one wish, it would be for whirled peas"

But in the context of being stuck in traffic and staring at it on the back of an '85 ford probe or whatever it makes no sense

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The pun makes more sense in a cooking forum where the mod is trying to bring about peace than on a bumper sticker. At least it's relevant.

Ah, alright, that makes sense. I missed the mod using it here and thought we were just talking about the phrase. My bad.

Squashy Nipples posted:

That's where you are wrong: the "Visualize Whirled Peas" bumper sticker was a direct parody of the original "Visualize World Peace" bumper stickers that first appeared in the late 70s.

So, still a lame pun, but it has a source.

Huh! I never saw the original. That explains that. Thanks.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Captain Bravo posted:

Nobody ever seemed to answer you on this, but this should have all the information you need. It sounds like you're looking for either a Genovese variety, or maybe a lemon basil? Either way, "real basil" is a bastard term and you should feel bad for using it. :colbert:

As for a suggestion, try Mrs. Burn's Lemon. It's a very popular cultivar and tastes quite different from your basic Sweet Basil. Also, I like shopping from Hirt's Garden's Amazon store, as they give you free shipping when you buy in bulk. I just placed my seed order for the year a few days ago, and I got something like a dozen different varieties of basil for under 20 bucks. It owns.

Thanks for that. It seems you're probably right about genovese being what I'm looking for, if the document you linked is correct (I believe it is). Popular seed and plant purveyors seem to alternately lie about what the seeds actually are, or print pictures of different-than-titled cultivars on their packaging, which is frustrating. A buddy of mine got an aerogarden that's supposed to have come with genovese basil but I'm pretty sure it is not genovese basil. Burpee's packets show something different than genovese on their genovese packets. So it's nice to see a pic of genovese from some authority on the herb.

I just bought a bunch of seeds, including those for some of your lemon basil. Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to trying it with some fish.

And I used the term "real basil" because it's the same frustration I get when shopping supermarkets for garlic and herbs. They'll have elephant garlic or purple garlic or barb-leafed basil labeled as the more sought-after variety, so I'm tired of "fakes" and I want the "real" thing.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I will be visiting her friend in DC late next month. What are some food recommendations? Any cuisine, and price point, any locale, we'll take them all.

Sardi's chicken near greenbelt. Probably $10ish a head. Peruvian charcoal roasted chicken and South American sides. Very casual but the food is great.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey Wiggles maybe it's lucky you got boned so they could find that lump! Maybe the old man upstairs done you a solid ~~in mysterious ways ~~~~~.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hello room

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

AFewBricksShy posted:

Also does anyone have any tips on cleaning a fine mesh strainer? It took me about 45 minutes to get all of the cheese out of that thing.

Freeze it and bang it on something maybe. Immerse in an alkaline cleaner. Boil.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
is "food therapy" or "food therapy friday" a thing? Also, trains don't go "doot." Nice tacos though. Chorizo is good.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Pseudoscience food topic suggestions:

The grapefruit diet.
Whatever claims they make on infomercials like for the juice tiger
Was the food pyramid's carbo-loaded foundation based on pseudoscience?
Sensa weight-loss food-sprinkle
Dann Quinn's stevia pure h20 :)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Scientastic posted:

I know grapefruit is contraindicated for a lot of medications, as it retards absorption through various parts of the digestive tract... Is the grapefruit diet based on that?

Hell if I know. You said "retards" hehe!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bongwizzard posted:

I would love to know what stuff has added sugars, as it would help me avoid bad salsas. Same with a lot of other processed foods, poo poo is often too sweet tasting.

A little two-serving box of Kroger brand tomato soup has as much sugar as a drat can of Pepsi. I only even looked at the label after I tasted it and was like "what the gently caress." I emailed Kroger asking them to change their nonsensical recipe and instead they sent me a coupon for another box of their soup.

Not everything has to be candy. I think added sugars label would be a nice to have.

GMO labeling passed the Senate or something but the lobbyists got the law to allow them to hide it behind a QR code. Something like that, I'm sure I'm not getting it totally right. So now if you check your label (if your data even works in your grocery store) they can track all your poo poo thru some skeezy website. Also if you're poor and don't have a data plan you can go gently caress yourself I guess.

E:Also gently caress QR codes, why the gently caress should I have to get my phone out and open some malware riddled app when the label could say "GMO" in the same amount of goddamn space

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 15, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Discendo Vox posted:

That's...not remotely anything like what happened with the GMO labeling bill. The QR code was a poison pill provision added by people opposed to GMO labeling, because the bill itself was the product of lobbying by interests in the "natural" food industry.

I concede that the GMO labeling bill had to have had lobbyist advocacy. I would also say that "people opposed to GMO labeling" in this context is probably an army of monsanto lobbyists.

To clarify my position: I don't think a label that says simply "GMO" is useful. Almost every packaged food probably includes GMO ingredients. I think you'll probably see moron faux-celiacs with their GMO-free Amy's burritos next to a stack of grapples in their shopping carts. I know they're stupid but I don't hate them.
I just think that more accessible information about food's origins and ingredients is usually a good thing. I would prefer to avoid "roundup-ready" ingredients where I can, not for hipster cred, but because I believe it's one tiny, easy, socially responsible thing I could do if I had the information. Gotta get that karma where you can.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

therattle posted:

Giles Coren is an rear end in a top hat but he's also amusing on TV.

I don't like cider. It tastes like off apple juice to me. Which I suppose it is.

Why isn't apple juice known as AJ?

The appropriate abbreviation is Aple Juie

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Sproing

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Bought a couple cast iron pans. Lodges, polished smooth, from an Etsy store.

I know a lot of goons are nutso in love with cast iron. Just want to cast my vote here and say: Jesus loving Christ these pans are a pain in the rear end. gently caress this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah I guess I used too much oil the first time, so I brilloed the gently caress out of them and retried just barely dampening them. They're still all hosed up. I hate them. I did a lot of research and have dedicated like four entire evenings to these goddamn pans and seriously gently caress them.

Also I would highly recommend not buying the cast iron grill pan with the raised grate things because I don't care what anybody says, that thing is literally impossible to clean.