Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SubG posted:

Useless etymology: the term soup originally referred to bread dipped in broth, a usage whose remanent is the rustic `sop'.

One of the European antecedents to the sandwich was the practice of using trenchers---planks of stale(ish) bread used as plates---which would soak up bits of the meal and then be consumed (or tossed to the dogs) when on the verge of losing structural integrity.

So yeah. Soup in a breadbowl pretty much exactly satisfies the original notions of both `soup' and `sandwich'.

I poo poo you not your stunning etymological pedantry prowess came up over dinner tonight.

Why? Because dino is here for Christmas! It's amazing. Almost as amazing as his cooking is the fact that he laughs at all my dad's stupid jokes. I will understand if y'all have problems controlling your jealousy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Get the 6.

My wife and I have been trying various grains lately. We've both fallen head over heels for farro, and had some millet last night. Millet is okay...it's kind of like quinoa. Didn't have much flavor of its own, just whatever it absorbed from the bean broth I cooked it in. Chopped up a bunch of dill and feta and mixed it all in with some lemon juice, overall it was delicious. Probably because of the cheese.

Oh yeah, also, we bought some saffron this weekend but have never used it before. What's the best first exposure dish to make using some?

paella if you can swing it.

Make sure to bloom the saffron in hot water before you use it. Some people crush it up in a mortar and pestle too, but basically you need to steep it a bit before you put it in a dish to make sure you get the most flavor out of it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I posted in the "food for cities without their own thread" thread too.

Mr. W and I are moving to Louisville, KY when he retires from the Army this year. What should I know? Also, what should I know about buying a house? I spent the last nine years tuning out everything I ever heard about real estate thinking "we won't be in a position to buy a house until 2027" and now I regret that...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

have anchovies on their caesar

have hot chicken

have $3-5 glasses of wine, or bottles under $20-25

get out of my head, phlux.

All this (especially the anchovies,) plus good personable service that is not overbearing.

Oh, and tasty candy delivered with the check. There's this one place that gives out melon candy and it's a great way to end a meal.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

There is no good excuse for not knowing how to make rice in YOUR pots on YOUR stove/cooker/whatever.

I don't eat enough rice to justify having a cooker, so I do it on the stovetop. I eyeball based on volume.

When I cook with dino, whoever hosts makes the rice, because their internal rice-making arithmetic is going to be the most accurate for the conditions.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

I bought a new fridge a few months ago, and it's the first one I've had as an adult that has an ice maker... I finally feel like I've arrived.

Anyway, on a plane, watching early Saturday Food Network. I was excited to see Ray Ray making new 30 Minute Meals! I know a lot of us goonie spoonies like to make fun of her cooking, but I always liked her show.

That said, she's looking a little bloated and weak, and it makes me feel old. :smith:

She was done for when she was the first celeb chef to break ranks and endorse a dog food.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

dino. posted:

You can! In the south of India, when making pongal, you bloom whole black peppercorns in the fat of your choosing. That said, because pepper is not native to most countries, I’m guessing that most of them only know it as a finishing spice, and not a cooking one.

Also, you low key made my heart happy to know that you’re treating my cooking advice like some kind of authority. <3 You’re too sweet.

Do you bloom peppercorn more when it's "fresh"? i.e. we just got a bunch of fresh peppercorn (which look dried) from an Indian friend.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dino I'm sorry to hear about your friend, she sounds like a lovely lady.

In other news, hi GWS, it's been a minute. I missed you.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hello Wrought friend, you did the small ship cooking for rich yuppies, right? Welcome back, you were missed.

I'm single, as of about 3 years ago, moved out on my own, and also am girl. Speaking of which holy heck I've been on hormones almost 9 months now. It's almost been a year what the gently caress.

Yes, I was the boat cook.

Congrats! 9 months is huge.

I'm recently widowed, which sucks. I miss Mr. W terribly. I also just had gastric sleeve surgery which is changing my relationship with food. I'm eating better, just tiny. Meal prepping is a challenge without having a big freezer. Looking forward to getting caught up with everyone.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

Welcome back! May I recommend An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler? I picked it up after she got Twitter roasted for having a custom forged https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/dining/alice-waters-egg-spoon-me-too-movement.amp.html given to her by Alice waters.

It’s a phenomenal read, and the philosophy is very simple but elegant. I think it might be exactly where you’re headed.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I'm the hair that is inevitably in the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Came here to post this. Dr. Taber is actually a close friend of mine! /namedrop