Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OmniElk posted:

I'm terrified of this thread, because I'm fairly certain I'll be eaten alive for posting in it as I'm a terrified new cook, but I just had to speak up and say something.

Dino, I just bought your recipe book, and it has made me a very, very happy goon. I just went back to being vegan and I really hate fakemeat so your book is pretty much the holy grail for me. It's easy and not scary at all! Thank you for writing it.

Now could one of y'all please explain the difference between good cookware and poo poo to me? Because I have pans from 1902 and I'm kind of stupid about what is worth buying when it comes to the kitchen. I know it's not all the same, but it LOOKS that way if you have no idea what you're doing...

God I suck balls for not learning how to properly cook before now.

Hello! Nothing to be afraid of, as long as you don't click the NWS links, and don't espouse using convenience foods.

Have you checked out the "Help! I'm poor and want to eat good food" thread? It's pretty essential for anyone starting to cook, especially if on a tight budget.

I would also recommend the EXCELLENT (ahem) no-knead bread thread if you want to start making your own bread as part of eating better for less.

Also: many of us did not grow up cooking - we all had to start somewhere, but the important thing was that we started.

In other news:

- I can't touch peach skin. Even thinking about it makes the hairs on my arms stand up. I once finally realised that a girl liked me when she showed up at my apartment with a peach to peel for me.

- I just got back from a work trip to Berlin and had three fantastic meals: vegetarian at an amazing underground place called Cookies Cream; a lunch at the hotel I had a bunch of meetings at which had a rather good restaurant called Facil - very good food, actually, and absolutely beautifully presented; and a dinner at an uber-cool pop-up restaurant in an old mint, called Pret a Diner. gently caress, Berlin's cool. (And cold, but that was actually OK).
http://www.facil.de/englisch/mittag.php
http://www.pretadiner.com/inthemix/index.php
http://www.cookiescream.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

:siren: a goons feelings on oral sex spotted :siren:
Some goons maybe, not me! I'm an omnivore.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

The are all inherently broken in some way from bring yelled at their entire childhood. They also look weird naked.

And their feet are hideous, malformed things.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Such legs though, man.

And what they can do with them!

(poo poo, I've just realised it was Squashy's post. Squashy, please don't describe in detail what you have done/would do with a flexible dancer).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

are you even kidding? this is pretty much the only way I cook broccoli - tossed with salt pepper + olive oil, and roasted in the oven at 425. toss a couple times until browned and a little crispy.

it's amazing.
I like it mostly green but with delicious crispy browned ends

Oh oh, and dressed with whizzed toasted almond flakes, EVOO, garlic, lemon juice, and S&P

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 15, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I thought they were bulemic?
They are not mutually exclusive.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Desiree Cousteau posted:

I realize that this pushes me darned close to apostasy, but what makes Kraft Mac and Cheese into the food of the gods is to add half a tin of diced up spam into it. You may say treyf, but your tummy says "nom!"

Oh, and for the ballerina, try Pearls Before Swine:

http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2009/09/08
I'm guessing that's not vegan.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
For god's sake, people, we just had to close the thread and purify it, and now you are tainting it with your depraved filth again!

Anyone got anymore cyst-squeezing videos?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rule .303 posted:

To fine the cut peeler?
To cut the fine peeler
To peel the fine cut?
Peel to the cut fine?
Cut the fine to peel?

The glory of disaster is that it also destroys our failures; we can start anew.
Except with marmalade. There we have to give it away to relatives we never really liked since gradeschool.
To finer cut the peel. :colbert:

I never liked the stuff anyway. Tasted too much of peel. Don't eat the peel when I eat an orange; not going to start eating it in jam.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 17, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

But candied orange peel

TASTES LIKE PEEL.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083

There you go, EVG. I'm not sure why the Kindle edition is priced almost the same as the print edition. Odd.

In a totally unrelated note, the chattists may remember that I left my Kindle on a subway on Tuesday. I filled out the MTA online lost and found thing. I got an email last night, saying that something with my name has been turned in, and to please come retrieve it. I have my kindle back.

Words fail me. Seriously.

I believe it's called karma. My cellphone fell out of my pocket on the tube once. I went home and called it, sure that I'd get it back, as I'd be sure to try and return it to somebody if I found theirs. After a while someone answered - a station staff member to whom somebody had handed it in. Many people are honest.

Rule .303, I hear you, but I think what you are saying is that any movement attracts people who are into a fundamentalist, self-righteous way of doing things, and the more extreme the movement, the higher the proportion of those assholes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like normal books but a kindle is a bloody godsend for reading scripts. Instead of lugging a few around all the time (read once, chuck, multiply by x colleagues), PDFs just get emailed to us. It's also a lot easier to read one-handed while commuting, and one never had to spend time looking for one's place.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Ahh.. but see - every time I buy a hardcopy I have to pay freight from the states, then I have to pay 25% added import tax, because of no free-trade agreement with the states. Alternatively I have to buy it in Denmark, where the price for a book is at standard around USD 30-40, alternatively I can buy them in UK, but still at a higher price, and not get as much diversity..

So the kindle is good to me..

But then again - I've been reading poo poo, so perhaps I'm the one losing out.
I'll buy books for you here in the uk and post them to you. You can pay me via PayPal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

He probably means Shimbo's The Japanese Kitchen. Or at least that's the one he recommended in the cookbook thread. I remember because ever since I ordered it, amazon's been recommending all kinds of weeaboo poo poo to me like anime buttplugs and pocky.

Right, and I suppose it was just because of that cookbook. Nice try. Do they make pocky buttplugs?

That reminds me! I tried to replicate Japanese spinach with sweet sesame dressing (gomaae?), going just by gut feel. I used tahini, sugar, mirin, and a dash of soy, and it was loving awesome. Better than I've had in many restaurants.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Macaroni posted:

Tahini? No way dude, you need crushed sesame seeds for goma-ae. Your version is completely inauthentic and bogus. (Gonna go try it now, that would kick the hell out of sitting around like an idiot with my mini mortar and pestle.)

What, pray tell, is tahini if not crushed sesame seeds? I was very proud of myself.

Actually, yesterday I was proud of myself too. For lunch I made zuppa di pasta e fagioli with rosemary and sage foccacia and garlic-butter cavalo nero (blanch cavalo nero, drain, then fry with butter and garlic). So when it came round to dinner, I cooked some beaten eggs with the left-over cavalo nero and some grated cheese, and served that atop some toasted foccacia, and it was good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Halalelujah posted:

Veggie Melange did call me out on having a table that had only whiskey, weed, and tums on it. Pretty funny.
Oh to be young...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

I cook for a family of 4. If we have company I cook for as many as 8.

I think you know the answer. Why you need validation from a group of strange people on the internet is a matter for you and your therapist. (Mind you, you've probably got bigger fish to fry).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

Validate meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

By the way, it's a good thing I'm not projecting at all!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I have spoken

gently caress me. Well, I think that argument is over. :golfclap:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

i shoot friendlies posted:

Yeah, but he's ABD on a Physics PhD so...
What is ABD?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have an ABD in taint.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Also - is Rage a good game, because I just bought it, and it is downloading, but my wife wants to have sex tonight, and I am wondering if I should leave her hanging by finishing really fast, and then go play Rage...

Internets: I need your advice!

Make sweet sweet love to your special ladyfriend and play the game another time. Which will you look back on happily when you're older? Wait! Is she enameled? How's her taint? Pics pls.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'd have an outhouse. No question.

Reblochon + potato = doublegood

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Darval posted:

Always interesting to live in a dorm. The kitchen looks like poo poo, and I just stuck my head out into the hall to see what the noise was about. It was a guy. Trying to reproduce goatse.

edit:
I knew we had that smiley somewhere
:goatsecx:
But why? And who would do that in public? What depraved hellhole passing as an institute of higher education do you attend? Stanford? MIT?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

I don't think I want to make chickenade.
That sounds delicious! Suggest it to Heston.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

That sounds like my recipe for iced hot ham water.
I can't stop laughing at this.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

What else can I do with pork stock. I have about a gallon of it, and I'm not gonna need that much for ramen.
Pig lager?

VVV Oh, DENMARK. Well, that explains it.

therattle fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 26, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Is it wrong for me to think margarine tastes good?
Very.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I was in Japan, several times I was surprised to bite into what I thought was a chocolate-filled pastry, only to find that funky sweet-bean paste. The only decent Japanese desert is green-tea flavored soft serve.

Ok, business travelers: if I have to choose between a Homewood Suites and a Holiday Inn, I should pick Homewood, right?

Oh, and I got a new job.
New job? :tipshat: Do tell.

Homewood, obvs. It's got suite in the title so it's bound to be classy, plus it's a business trip, which rules Holiday Inn out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I traveled a lot I totally focused on points. Got me some free nights in a Marriott in Amsterdam for my troubles, but it took a fuckload of stays. I did much better accumulating AA points; took advantage of some special to get to gold then platinum, and flew twice a week for months.

It sucked. I don't miss that life at all.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Getting to gold at different airlines and hotel chains is some sort of weird real life version of a game with levelling up.. It really speaks to the nerd in you!

The advantages on the other hand (upgrades, and a loving newspaper, and also free stays), are really not worth the investment of time, and leaves you feeling like an empty husk.
In my case it took two phone calls. I got about 2 free transatlantic trips and 2 return trips to South Africa, so it was well worth it.
If you're travelling a lot it's stupid not to get something for nothing. Just don't make getting the points the point.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 28, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've hosed my back lifting a heavy pram and am in absolute agony. When is this bloody codeine going to kick in?

PS I'd eat the gently caress out of a good lobster roll.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Darval posted:

Can any of you guys read japanese? I've gotten some stuff from my brother in Tokyo, but I have no idea what the instructions on the box say.. I'm confused as what to add in the first picture, and wether to put one, or all, the 6 brown flavor bricks in. I've found the back of the boxes on the producers website for the first two, the others I took pictures of:

The third one has some notes on it, so I think that one means 200g beef, 600g onions, fry in 2 tablespoons oil, add 700ml water, and simmer with the cubes. But again, add four, or just one?

I have a Japanese intern working with me, but I am not going to embarrass myself by asking him to translate a recipe for a hungry goon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Colour me impressed with your translating skills.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Lobster is delicious, the more plainly eaten the better. Crab is something I've just never had a passion for.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah. I like pretty much all shellfish (up yours, יהוה!), but I'll take a dungeness crab over a lobster pretty much any day of the week. Red king crabs are okay, nothing I'd turn my nose up at, but they're blander and sweeter than I really prefer.

What are those tiny little bite-sized Japanese crabs called? Those are pretty boss too.
Are you a Jewish? I'm reform, so I arbitrarily avoid piggishness but happily eat shellfish (and non-kosher meat). Yes, I know it makes no sense. No, please don't argue with me or make a comment about organised religion.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

That they can get your foreskin when they pry it from your cold dead hands?

Dude!

What a way to go, eh? "He died how he lived - with his cock in his hands".

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've been on the codeine for my poor back (strained ligaments, apparently), and now I'm all blocked up, if you know what I'm saying. :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Appl posted:

Have you tried drinking 3 pots of coffee?
I had a cup this morning, which is usually quite stimulating. Nada. :argh:

We need a new emoticon. :constipated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

So what do you guys all think about circumcision?

edit: Awwww yeah circumcision chat snype.

Let's all talk about our dicks.
NO CIRCUMCISION CHAT. That's like asking if beans belong in chili.

Do foreskins belong in chili?

VVV She's not five though, is she?

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 1, 2012