Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

Hi GWS, I made jerky and it tastes awful! I recently bought a new oven that has a dehydrator setting on it so naturally I wanted to get some use out of it. Dried fruits are easy and delicious but I always wanted to make jerky and now I think I might end up just leaving it to the pro's..

I used Alton Brown's recipe that I remembered from that episode of good eats like 15 years ago where he makes a dehydrator with box fans. I used London broil instead of flank because I couldn't find any flank. I can identify a few issues. I figured asking my butcher to slice it for me would be the easiest way to go but the pieces they gave me were pretty substantial and not really jerkylike. I also tried using two layers while cooking but only had one mesh tray so the bottom layer was on a sheet pan. Those are pretty rubbery and the bottoms are not the same color as the rest of it. Cooking temp/time might be off because I had trouble finding a consensus for how hot and how long on the internet.

Regardless of cook time and size I think it just tastes awful and I'm not sure if I hosed something up even though I followed that recipe to the T, or if this is just an acquired taste that I haven't.. acquired. Anyway sorry for the :words: but had to vent somewhere.

That’s unfortunate. Try make biltong instead! It’s better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Hell yeah, I'll grab a few packs and freeze it all then.

Good to know. I heard that thing about green onions and I've thought about trying it, NGL. Especially cause I have some leftovers right now and I wanna make sure they keep living.

I often end up getting onions and then those onions get old and wrinkly because I just don't end up using them all. Is there a way to preserve onions, or am I doomed to having to freshen up every week if I cook with them? Carrots, too, I have a bunch right now and I just have no idea what to do with them cause I don't really want to make that glazed carrot + barley salad thing I made a few weeks back.

Also any way to preserve heads of garlic, since I tend to not use them quite often enough before they get kinda old, sharp, and (in a couple cases) mushy. Maybe mincing it all and steeping it in oil like a confit????

One of the hardest things with cooking is keeping a list of staple recipes in mind. I can only remember how to make meatballs off the top of my head :(

Be warned that depending on where you live they might be ghost towns because you're under an advisory or order to not go outside after 9pm.

Do not store garlic in oil. You can get botulism.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Mine is from that same thread. I told people to make stuffing balls so they’d have more browned crusty bits

Coincidentally, my balls have browned crusty bits too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Democratic Pirate posted:

You should really wipe front to back

Why did nobody tell me that before?!