Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Things I don't like even though foodlaw says I should:

Uni
Natto
Raw Clams
Green Peas
Fish Eyes
Brain
Kidney
Banana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Soondae uses noodles. I don't think I've seen any blood sausage without some kind of grain product included. I like blood pudding but not chunks of straight-up congealed blood, and I imagine that's fairly common given the nigh-universality of grain-bound blood sausage and the rarity of pure blood chunks in world cuisine.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When malt liquor is cheaper than soda, it's a no brainer.

Often literally.

Cast iron is great for certain things, mostly either low-movement situations where density is important (frying) or high-heat situations where you want good release with a minimum of non-inherent oil (browning chicken or other meat (but mostly chicken, as the skin will adhere to SS with no oil, be greasy with any extra oil, and needs heat higher than is wise for nonstick) as a "step one"). Bacon goes on a sheet in the oven, eggs or fried potatoes or veggies go in nonstick, anything with significant liquid goes in a pot.

I have a cast iron skillet big enough to stand in for my non-existent griddle, too, so pancakes and flatbreads also go on it. But its definitely not the most-used vessel in my kitchen.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I don't get the Bittman hate. Here's his actual mustard recipe:

Recipe:

Grainy Mustard
By Mark Bittman
From the How to Cook Everything for iPhone® app

Introduction:

You'll be amazed at how easy, cheap, and good homemade mustard is. Plus, you can customize the flavor many ways with minor adjustments; see the list that follows. Make sure, though, to mix yellow mustard seeds with brown or black, or the results will be too harsh. To make a faster—though undeniably sharper and less subtle—mustard, use a spice grinder or coffee mill to grind the mustard seeds into a coarse powder, then slowly stir in the liquids until you get the consistency you want (you might have to add a little more). Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately or keep as you would any mustard.
Ingredients:

¼ cup yellow mustard seeds (about 1½ ounces)
¼ cup brown or black mustard seeds (about 1½ ounces)
½ cup red wine or water
½ cup sherry vinegar or malt vinegar (or any vinegar with at least 5 percent acidity; see Everyday Vinegars)
Pinch salt
Steps:

Put all the ingredients in a jar with a tight‐fitting lid or other sealed glass or ceramic container. (Don't use metal; it will corrode.) Shake or stir, then set aside to soak for a day or two.
Put the mixture in a blender and purée for several minutes to grind, adding a little extra water as needed to keep the machine running. Stop and scrape the sides down once or twice and repeat. You'll never get the mustard as smooth as Dijon, but you can control the coarseness by how long you blend. Taste and add more salt if you like.
Return the mustard to the container and cover tightly. Store in a cool, dark place (or refrigerate) for up to several months. The mustard will be quite sharp at first, but it will thicken and mellow with time.
Courtesy of John Wiley & Sons. Copyright © Double B Publishing Inc. All rights reserved.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Halalelujah posted:

Hahahaha.

So does anyone have any dining suggestions for the lake Mary/ Sanford area north of Orlando? Looks like I am going to be here for at least another two weeks and I have eaten at almost every restaurant in my immediate vicinity. It's all expense account type places, and if someone suggests shula's again I'm going to snap.

I know it's a long shot but gotta ask.

Warzone to Warzone. Man, you have it rough.

Oh, and nothing. Florida North of Palm Beach and outside of Tampa and Jax is just unrelenting nightmare-zone.

hey, Kozmo -- speaking as someone who actually has and uses anime-hair colored JAPANESE knives that cost barely :tenbux: a piece, and would never ever spend more than $100 on a knife: the people telling you you're wrong about knives and kind of an rear end in a top hat? Spot-on.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 31, 2012

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
We always pled my father's side's arguable Sephardic descent as the reason we didn't worry about ktiniyot. I suspect the real reason is that peanut butter on matzah is good enough to buy more matzah than we strictly needed for the week.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

A local pizza place makes a pizza with potatoes on it. It's pretty tasty.

The NYC italian-influenced neobakeries (pandaisy, Sullivan Street, etc.) make fantastic pizzas with potato or cauliflower (my favorite) or mushroom or zucchini on them. Like pizza bianca with the veggies totally covering it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Wiggles, I love you, but in all seriousness -- the two closest Costcos to me are also in the areas near me with real small butchers and groceries with bulk beans/grains (excepting fairway which only sells "organic" legumes and grains in bulk and only at super high prices (more per/lb than the packaged organic, even!)). Even more than that, Costco, more than probably any other national chain, tailors their in-store selection to where they are: take the Manhattan Costco, situated in East Harlem (El Barrio). Because it serves all of Manhattan, it has more high end heat&eat dishes than usual, a much larger kosher section than usual (including pre-pack kosher meat in it's own freezer), Vintage seltzer, and a seriously impressive cheese section. Because it's in El Barrio, it offers an impressively wide selection of latin goods at excellent prices.

They also have remarkably good labor practices and fair pay (they don't want a union, so they keep the union out by making the labor happy enough to not organize). Their presence has given a cuspy neighborhood the boost it needed to really start to get nice again.

I understand the critique of end-stage capitalism, but within the world we live in, Costco is way above the norm for not being terrible.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
To add on to what everyone said about Sabras driving badly and busses being useful, it is my impression that renting a car and fueling it will be extremely expensive.

Fakeedit: I checked, the rental rate is quite reasonable, insurance is emphatically not and not optional.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

As long as I don't have issues with my server, I usually tip 10-15%. I think that's acceptable.

You're an rear end in a top hat, sorry to break it to you.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Vegetable Melange posted:

I call this "life in New York". A dollar a pound, people, get behind it (or live somewhere with it in unit and watch me hate you to death).

A buck a pound? Are your clothes being hand-washed in champagne by green-eyed virgins? I paid 85c/lb for same day pickup/dropoff on the loving UES. Pay the same in LIC. What do you pay for a shirt?

In other news I'm loving loving LIC. My first good stove and oven in forever, and my first really good fridge ever. Great food all over the place, and the micro brewery in the next building over is openin a growler room any day now.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

At the rehearsal dinner last night I was bullshitting restaurant concepts with the owner of a Belgian fry joint in Boston. Somehow the idea of an Indian/Tiki concept came up, and I named it tiki Masala. I'm torn between hiding my shame and emailing investors. Dino?

The thought of sweet tiki drinks and curry-spectrum dishes makes me ill. Go for Tikka Tiki, as tandoori food and tiki drinks seem like a natural match.

I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky that my mother likes my GF more than my mother likes me.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Happy Hat posted:

I have never been to a weeding with that many people attending...

My weeding had 40 ppl..

The largest I've ever been at was 100ppl, and that was huge..

How can you even make time during the event to talk to that many people?

Perhaps it is a culture thing?

"Culture thing" about sums it up: My mother just got remarried and it was, in her words, "very small, only 80 people, max." The small, "family-only" dinner the night before was 25.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I've seen the three-times thing, and it makes me incredibly nervous every time because I was raised that a) not offering a guest a snack or drink or at least something is unwelcoming and b) refusing an obviously sincere offer of food without at least a stated reason ("I just ate", "I have religious dietary restrictions", "I'm going to eat in just a bit" and "I'm on a diet" are all acceptable) is vaguely offensive.

My pathological need to sufficiently feed guests has gotten me into trouble more than once.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squashy Nipples posted:

One of the other amazing local-mult games I played was CS Joust, which uses Playstation motion controllers, and is sort of impossible to describe.

JS Joust. As in Johann Sebastian. This is not mindless pedantry, the Brandenburg Concertos are a major part of gameplay (you could, in theory use any music that sounds good at random tempos, but I've never heard of it being run off anything but Bach). I'd seriously consider buying a full setup for it, if a full setup didn't run close to 500 dollars (8 Move controllers, a bluetooth hub). (EDIT: Apparently the intended retail version for up to 7 doesn't require the bluetooth hub? Still going to cost about 300...)

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 30, 2013

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

therattle posted:

I've been therapy for a while. It's done a power of good.

dino., you need to ease off the vigorous sex. Hope the back gets better.

I'm in Tuscany. God it's beautiful. We are staying on a really quiet peaceful biodynamic farm. The produce around here is so good. Everything is delicious.

Careful you don't step on a cow skull!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squashy Nipples posted:

As someone who lives in a gender-fluid world, I'm occasionally shocked to be reminded that most of the population still thinks that way. "Men drive like this, but women drive like that!"

Anyway, time for my annual post bitching about the camp food. I know they bake the bacon in a big commercial oven, but holy poo poo is the quality bad, almost no meat and all fat.

And I miss cooking. Since I'm on a combined vacation/business trip, I haven't been home in 10 days! The GF does a lot of the cooking these days, but I still miss making yummy food.

So this is a question I've been meaning to ask -- regarding camp activities, is it the general rule for funtimes where you want to be unburdened so you try to keep it light (or at least, not so heavy as to make you sluggish and/or bloated) or is it intensive enough that you need physical-labor level nourishment? Are low-residue items marked? My friend who runs an event of this sort just serves whatever, but their thing is mostly mental/interactional, so they don't have these concerns. I'm just super curious about how the specialization of the event drives things that wouldn't ordinarily be apparent.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Dual specialty on first.

Is this ALWAYS the answer to "I live in NYC I can't find (thing)"?

(yes)

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

pr0k posted:

I get it, I has a math. If a reasonable income of 90k pays 23% in income tax, then add paying 20% VAT on almost every cent you spend of the 77% of the income you have left, 77% of 90k is 69300 and paying 20% on that leaves you 55440 to actually spend, which is 62% of your income so you paid about 38% in taxes effectively. Which is pretty close to the 40% number I mentioned.

Do you think it just evaporates? As you said, you get vacation, health, and other benefits of a functioning state rather than a crumbling libertarian neogilded age wasteland.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

therattle posted:

Ah yes. drat. I have had an idea and wanted to know if it was original, and capable of being patented. I even would have paid!

I am a practicing patent attorney, and even in the U.S.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
My dead favorite for summer is Naias Las Brisas -- usually between $10 and $13 and it's killer with grilled anything. It's half verdejo half other stuff, and it's not complicated in any way.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Yeah, if maggots can eat it, tiny little friends can also eat it, and the tiny little friends poop truly distressing toxins. And, if they survive, can also set up camp inside you.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Why did no one tell me how easy summer rolls are?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Natto beat me, I admit it. I can't handle Soju, though I gamely try when it's dancing-bear time. I managed to choke down those Korean sausage-esque filled intestine things ONCE while in dancing-bear mode, but I don't think I could manage it again. I almost spat it out the first time, convinced they were simply uncleaned intestine.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Once they had this artisan brie with an ashy rind that was literally the best cheese I've ever eaten, but they haven't had it back since. :smith:

There was an article about that -- http://costcoconnection.texterity.com/connection/201212/?pg=91 sure, it's puffery, but it's interesting puffery and it's the best brie I've gotten outside of a high-end cheese shop.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Casu Marzu posted:

He's kinda racist in a "no, man, I can say this, I have black friends" kind of way.

Also kind of a homophobe in a "jesus says so" kind of way.

Ten years ago I would have dropped $100 I couldn't afford on seeing him live. I could easily have afforded to see him last night at 50% more than that but didn't. Kenji is my guru now.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The thinly sliced meats are probably my least favorite of the things I like at hotpot. You put them in, you take them out, you go "I could have grilled this." Now, tofu skin, tripe, those little knots of seaweed, balls, pork belly, pork skin, mushrooms -- basically anything that absorbs the broth AND gets better after multiple minutes simmering in it? That's the goods stuff. My favorite part of hotpot is digging around for stuff I forgot and finding a totally transformed chunk of tripe or whatever.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

nuru posted:

What's a good book to work through to cover techniques / fundamentals someone may be missing if they just learned to cook via winging it?

I know he's somewhat out of style here, but AB's books are pretty good for semibeginners. I'm Just Here For The Food/More Food are organized by technique and teach some good skills. The actual Good Eats tie-in books aren't bad but aren't organized for learning.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mich posted:

wheez, that sounds excellent. One thing is that I would make sure to have an additional way to sear the burgers on hand. You can't searzall a lot of things at once and you won't want to get really backed up on the sliders. You could start searing them on a griddle while searzalling from the top, then when flip touch up sear with the searzall.

blah blah if they're seared they're not sliders blah blah

but seriously that sounds amazing.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

tarbrush posted:

I'm not in any way exaggerating when I say that "sugars ending in -ose" are a fundamental part of being alive. She's either a virus or an alien.

I'm just curious as to what sugars NOT ending in -ose are? In all seriousness, as an attorney I would advise the restaurant to refuse service on liability grounds.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

bartolimu posted:

Sugar alcohols (xylitol, sorbitol, etc.) - she's clearly converted her metabolism to run entirely on hydrogenated sugars that other multi-celled organisms can't digest.

So she's some kind of giant colony of antifreeze-metabolizing bacteria, is what you're saying?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Squid ink pasta is OK, but what I really want is squid ink to actually cook seafood in -- possibly my favorite dish from my honeymoon. Anyone know of a source in NYC?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

I was hoping for fresh. Is that even a thing, or do people just use the canned/packeted stuff?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The other week we talked about bacalhau nachos. So I did.

Tortilla chips with monterey jack, topped with sauteed zucchini, fresh cucumber, tomato, olives, and bacalhau sauteed in olive oil with garlic. Dressed with wine vinegar and served with a dollop of hummus on the side.

Execution was a hot mess, but the concept is sound. Will bacalhau nacho again.

I love bacalao as an ingredient in stuff, but it's always just too much as unchanged as it is on these nachos. Am I just not soaking it enough times?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe, how long so you soak? I always soak at least two days, changing the water halfway through.

This answers my question pretty well. Yes. Yes, I*'m soaking nowhere near enough.

Speaking of awesome ingredients, I learned something of interest to NYC goons: the Food Bazaar on Northern Boulevard in LIC (used to be a PathMark, in among the dealerships) is completely insane and awesome. Size and cleanliness of a suburban shopping center supermarket, good prices, and they have EVERYTHING. Everything. It's insane. It's amazing. Rabbit, cuy, tongues (beef, veal and lamb!), geese, capon, goat (stew meat, offal, milk, burnt heads), everything that has ever been called a yam (rightly or wrongly), fruits I've never seen fresh or whole, an entire Latino soda aisle, house made tamales, house made kimchi, prepped Korean BBQ meat, and on and on and on.

I only managed to get out with as little as I did because of choice paralysis.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I'm some kind of crocodile. All four came in without impaction or squeezing or anything. One's a bit crooked, but it wasn't around when I had my braces, so it just missed the correction.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I love seitan and tofu. 99% of the time, I hate seitan and tofu when they try to be meat -- vegetarian dim sum has some good items, for instance, but even there, a lot of the meat-mimicking items (rather than just "this is a tofu skin roll") are bad. It's telling that one of my favorite dishes in the world is tofu being tofu cooked with meat being meat. Food masquerading as other foods is a cool party trick, but leave it to Wily and friends, don't base your everyday meals around it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

pr0k posted:

It is frankly awful lube, too.

lube tastes like poo poo in pho, so it's only fair.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Here's my solution, let's bring back GWS challenges. Since our new friends are insisting they're here to be funny and learn about cooking and why won't the mean people who are here to chat about cooking leave them alone, I propose they be challenged to say or do one actually funny thing rather than just spouting insults and whining about people talking about loving cooking in the loving cooking subforum where people have happily talked about cooking for the better part of a decade.

In other news, I made Kenji's tomato and smoked feta tart last night with the last of the season's onslaught, and it was amazing. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/easy-tomato-smoked-feta-tart-recipe.html Even with a repeat unlikely in the next 11 months, the fast smoked-feta trick is going in my toolbox like whoa. Wife couldn't believe there wasn't any bacon in the tart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

les fleurs du mall posted:

i like the idea of GWS challenges but:

the problem isn't that you talk about cooking, obviously. It's that you do it with no sense of humor or ability to laugh at yourselves nor include anyone who's wearing anything even remotely resembling a jester's hat

I think its possible to talk about cooking AND be funny at the same time but i'm a piece of poo poo shitposting troll fuckhead for trying

All GWS/SO does is laugh at itself. Nothing you've done or said is funny, just obnoxious. I like it here because it's a cooking forum where even when people take things deadly seriously, they're also jokey and friendly about it. The tablespoon thing is a perfect loving example (units varying from country to country is a pain in the loving rear end and nonsense and YES, using fully a third more or a quarter less butter can RUIN a loving baking recipe or break a sauce) of people joking about a frustrating thing and how absurd it is and actually being informative.

Coming in here and spouting ableist, homophobic and racist slurs is not funny (and whoever put the n-word in CdC's should strongly consider turning off their computer and never speaking to anyone ever again). Your stupid threads are not funny. Making fun of people who have been perfectly loving hospitable to anybody with even the most inane cooking or food question -- IF ASKED IN GOOD FAITH -- is not funny, and certainly not likely to engender feelings of good will or further hospitality.

The real problem here is that GBS isn't even GBS anymore, is FYAD, and the quarantine has broken.