Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Halalelujah posted:

Ground floor posting!

I'm really not a fan of sushi anymore, mostly because I can't justify the cost when really good fish and mediocre fish taste almost the same to my palate. I think smoking, hard liquor, and flavorpunch food have taken their toll, because I remember I used to enjoy it a lot more.

Will still eat the hell out of uni though, and japanese food is so varied that losing sushi isn't a big hit.

:smith: I am incredibly saddened by American sushi. I'd love to have some inari, but nobody seems to really make it around here. At least I found a good place for soba. But there's so many places into fusion stuff it kinda blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dino. posted:

When we would drive to Georgia from South Florida, we'd see these little stands on the side of the roads, with farmers selling their own peaches, boiled peanuts, and those gorgeous tomatoes. My dad would always pull over, buy a boatload of peaches, or boiled peanuts, or tomatoes, and let us eat some right then and there, while talking to the farmer for a bit. I remember biting into a ripe, fragrant peach, and having the thing explode in my mouth. The juice would splash the top, sides, and back of my whole mouth, even with a small bite, and a bit would run down my hand. I can remember those peaches to this day.

Never have I been able to stomach the peaches I've eaten outside of North Florida or Georgia. They're just nowhere near as good smelling or tasty. I feel you, SJury.

Oh, god. gently caress me. The only thing I liked better than the peach stands were the pecan stands, or the little pecan grove stores that had pecan everything. We'd bring napkins with us because those peaches were just so incredibly good we couldn't wait until we got them home where it was a bit less likely to pour all over your shirt. Lottery tickets and peaches, every weekend in summer. :allears:

E: Lavender sucks because it's way too strong. I get hay fever around it and the taste makes me think of the time I tried to drink my mom's perfume as a kid, on a far less terrible scale. Either I've had it made terribly wrong or it's just not for me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rule .303 posted:

See the back yard? I'm thinking of putting a dead washing machine out there!

You kiddin' me? It's begging for an archway and a little gate. I totally see secret garden potential out there instead of white trash scary neighborhood motif. :colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Charmmi posted:

That sounds like a great penalty for the next Cook or Die challenge.

How long is that going on for, anyway?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

uncooked flour doesn't belong in anything.

How do you even eat things with uncooked flour? Like, wouldn't they be horrible and powdery and.. ugh, I started thinking about it and started scraping my tongue with my teeth because it just sounds bad.

Mustard talk: I like mustard, I want to try more mustard, what kind of mustard should I try? Because mustard is awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

try making it re: the link I posted above. I was really surprised as how well mine turned out.

I've had this idealized 'form of mustard' floating in my head for a couple years, and it was nice to try my hand at putting it into existence. I wouldn't say I succeeded, but I wouldn't say I failed either...

but to answer your question - you've probably had it, but if you haven't, try inglehoffer's stone ground - it's my favorite big name commercial brand. http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mustard-10-Ounce-Squeezable-Bottles/dp/B000EY3OMS

I've had grey poupon and the stuff that comes in a yellow squirt bottle next to the heinz ketchup (I cannot for the life of me think of what brand that is). All I've had is lovely mustard, but it tastes so good. I am going to try that mustard. And I'll likely try that recipe too.

Wroughtirony posted:

Cookie dough. Cake batter. When are you PCSing back to civilization?

If the military has it's way? Never. :unsmith: But at least here I can get cool mexican food and there's always produce at the commissary. And it isn't full of mold or bugs or god knows what the hell that brownish greenish spot was that I spotted on a potato once.

There are apples, oranges, strawberries, cucumber, zucchini, spinach and all sorts of other fresh things in my fridge and I've basically been living on them all week. It's outstanding.

And you be quiet. Cake batter and cookie dough are totally sugar, not flour. (we need a :denial: )

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Husband's a bit of a marvel fan and he said it was glorious. If you're going with hardcore fans he said they'll probably be pedantic about one or two things, but not much. v:shobon:v

I'm doing another NICSA here in a bit. I'm out of ideas for prizes. D'you guys have any suggestions? I'm looking for $30 and below.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

As yes, the three Fs.

But where does liquor play a part in that? Fermentation, Fried Foods and Fornication?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Darval posted:

Just had my first shift ever at a restaurant, I handled drinks and coffee, and it was VERY good weather today, so it was busy.

My feet hurt. And my arm. I can't decide whether to get drunk or lie down. Maybe I'll do both. Can't decide in the order to do it in then.

Well if you get drunk enough, you kinda automatically lay down. It may not be on something you want to lay down on. I would suggest laying down first. Congratulations on surviving, though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

a frightened child wandering the dark, forlorn forests of nærøyfjorden : suddenly, twixt the trees, a schlüerpendøngen!!

For some reason my mind immediately put this to Der Erlkönig only with much happier lyrics.

Also:

Drink and Fight posted:

I love you, Happy Hat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I really have no problem with chain restaurants like Fridays, they do what they do, it's not great food generally (I've never been to a Fridays admittedly) but it's fair enough if you like that sort of thing. But people like this I want to punch in their stupid loving faces. You all the way to Ecuador and ate in a Friday's 4 times? I hope they then ate a badly prepared Ceviche and had their bowels destroyed as punishment.

I.. suppose I could understand if they were there for like, 6 months or something. But I just know they weren't. That's just disappointing though. I know a vacation isn't you know, just food or anything like that, but.. god drat, you're in a really cool location! Go out and try stuff that's recommended to you!

It's like while we were in the hotel waiting to get the gently caress out of Okinawa. Some folks were just getting there and were asking the hotel check-in staff where to eat. Every time they suggested a local place they asked if they had "burgers" or "steaks" or "chicken fingers". :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Psalmanazar posted:

I could carve "GOONS WITH SPOONS" into my arm with a bread knife

Anybody can do it with a bread knife. It takes real skill to do it with a melon baller.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Let's work under the assumption that I have half a gelding at my disposal to eat. Let's also work under the assumption that I have never cooked horse before. Anyone have any tips or recipes?

Sashimi it. Or if it's not safe for that, I always hear it grills/kebabs well.

E: I'll see if I can grab a friend I know who has a casserole recipe with horse in it.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 11, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My grandfather's shop would charge about $400-$800 for a radiator replacement, labor and all. Because labor is ungodly stupidly expensive and he's a total prick who loves to overcharge folks. There's no way in hell $3500 is just the radiator unless that comes with a free STD test in the morning, because god you'd be gettin' hosed.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I am generally a happy go lucky, love everybody sort.

But good, gently caress EC forever I'm glad the motherfucker lost.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Filboid Studge posted:

I want Shine to shout at that guy. Seriously, what the gently caress.

I just want Shine to yell at people (that aren't me), period. I am terrified of posting in YLLS, but I read it a lot. :shobon:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Walk Away posted:

Everyone in here needs to hug or have sex with each other. Dibbs on Happy Hat.

:3: I would hug everybody, but I'd hug dino first because that post is adorable.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I have the rss thing set to play a really loud 'horns.aiff' every time a change is detected on the website, so I keep jumping out of bed and running stark naked across my house at like 2 am or whenever just to find they just altered the date.

:(

grant you're killin me here

Would wearing pajamas or boxers help maybe? It might make your run a little warmer.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That thing on the bottom, the really curvy wire. Kinda looks like a lower-case M. That's every electric oven's heating element that I've ever, ever seen.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

cleaning an oven is one of those things I've never understood. who does this, and why?

I mean if something spills all over the place, sure, get out the scrubbrush and bartenders friend - but otherwise, everything just burns off as you use the oven right? If you're really wanting to "clean" it, just crank it up to 600 for an hour or two, right? this is what you all mean by cleaning the oven.... right?

no-one like... scrubs down the sides of their oven on a regular basis.... right? :psyduck:

I set my (electric) oven on fire in Okinawa, so I kinda had to pour a shitload of oven cleaner on it and sit there for an hour and scrape all the drat char and burn out of it. But yeah otherwise I just turn it up ungodly hot every now and then and sweep out any ash after it cools.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Any one have any pointers?

Are there any animal rescues/zoos/human food shelters around that would eat some of the excess?

But man, seriously, too many plums (or apricots, didn't you say you have a slew of apricots too?) sounds like the best problem ever.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

Just shred the gruyere (or other harder cheese) first. Good breading technique will help keep the balls from exploding.

So if you used bleu cheese, they could be blue balls?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bartolimu posted:

A dry wedding reception is the worst thing.

Not necessarily. Everyone was driving away from our wedding in pretty heavy traffic. We didn't have a drop to drink because we weren't going to be morally responsible for stupid people DUI'ing or whatever. Especially after a death in my husband's family involving drunk driving.

So if your guests aren't going to be able to work off the alcohol or have a DD and they have a good ways to drive, it might even be for the better.

dino. posted:

Anyone who's having a wedding: tell your ministers to shut the gently caress up. Nobody's interested. Get to the readings, get to the vows, then SHUT UP ALREADY. A 30 minute long sermon, where you ramble on about stupid poo poo that nobody else cares about? Not loving cute.

The rear end in a top hat doing mine tried this poo poo. About two minutes into it I smiled up at him, peeked under my veil and asked him if today was about him or if it was about me and my husband. Especially since we'd asked him to shut the gently caress up about religious poo poo entirely. He shut up, got done with the vows and I got to go hide for a while and settle down after having taken the wrong limo to my own wedding :v:

I found out later that husband didn't tip him because the rear end in a top hat told him I was "an un-Godly woman" for interrupting a minister and that I'd never obey him like God intended and a bunch of other crazy poo poo. Husband said that was good, because he hates going to church and he wanted a wife, not a slave :3:

So yeah, gently caress pompous wedding ministers. And best of luck sizing your buddy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Walk Away posted:

Little Walk Away just started Kindergarten and they are already doing a fundraiser. Of course they tell them that if they sell 25 things they get to go on a limo ride to a special lunch and goddammit why do I have to buy 25 things from this drat website?!

At least they had a silicone basting brush and a bench scraper like I have been needing but jesus christ. Every other cooking thing has Paula Deen's soul-less face pasted on it. Not in my house, missy. I prefer a peaceful sleep.

Edit: My life is saved! I can buy 2 lbs. of pre-cooked shrimp for only $76!
http://www.gaschoolstore.com/Store/Product/78/100013?t=1f3ef383-1d9e-4ae3-b047-b2ed2242514d

You can probably pick the kid up in a limo and take (him, her?) to a special dinner for cheaper than 25 items.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

kiteless that is a beautiful backyard!

hey guys I bought steaks from the sketchy meat truck! despite the fact the one dude tried to tell me their hamburger was dry aged for four years, I bought some decent-looking cuts for fairly cheap. I'll throw some on the grill tomorrow and report back!

:neckbeard: I did that recently! 2 really nice looking little steaks for the price. :nms: Then I found maggots or worms or something hanging out all over one of the steaks, frozen to death, when I yanked it out to defrost it! They both went in the trash. Please don't die :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

I've been married for 11 months to the day. It's not too bad, aside from living in Iowa now. Don't get married.

If your SO isn't worth living in an awful, terrible, lovely place, they aren't worth marrying. I'm in a goddamned desert and he's still worth it. I just go out and flip off the sun every so often and everything's grand. You could flip off the corn fields?

:3: I hope she says yes, mindphlux.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Keep up the horse boarding - there is always money in that if there's people with horses around. You should also learn to be a ferrier to expand your service offering, assuming you're not already in the shoeing business.

Is there like, a school or a certification that you have to get for this to do it legally to other people's horses?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Scientastic posted:

What? Is Florida incredibly backwards, or is the lack of internet food-shopping America-wide?

I live in a giant, sprawling city too (it's like 30 miles from one side of the whole "city area" to the other, maybe a little more) and the only things I can order online, locally, are pizza and chinese. 700,000+ people, too. Internet food-shopping is available in like, Orlando, FL, to some extent. Like, http://www.gardengrocer.com/?gclid=COrI85T-0LMCFWGnPAodWgoAvQ Garden Grocer exists, but it's more used for people visiting the theme parks than by people who live there.

So I mean, it's out there here and there, but it's really rare.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Give up, move to El Paso, eat the :smithicide: wonderful food here.

E: Alternatively tell them you're doing one better and moving to Juarez and they can visit!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

therattle posted:

It's just his online persona. As many can attest, IRL he's an absolute prick.

He's made of (raw, vegan) sugar and kitten kisses and I won't believe anything else.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Since someone decided we needed to be like "evangelicals lite" as far as marriage preparation. I want chanting and cassocked priests, not fuzzy kum ba yah garbage.

How about chanting, homebrewed mead and rabbit stew? And planting a big ol community garden? (this rabbit stew smells amazing)

In all seriousness, when did the church suddenly decide everyone had to go through that counseling stuff before they get married or they don't want to recognize the marriage or some such thing (correct me on that if I'm wrong please, I get mixed answers about that part)? My folks got married by a catholic priest in the 70's and they never did any of that, which has me wondering if like, it was just that priest or if they suddenly got super conservative about it or what.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Have I been doing something wrong? Soap is great, but ammonia and bleach in my bread dough makes it so airy.

Re: guac-this always comes out with little red and white and green bits in it at the restaurant, as well as a big dollop of something white. Whenever I make it home it's just green. What should I do?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dino, your relationship is literally made of glitter and fluffy kittens fuzzy feelings, I swear to god. And it is the cutest goddamned thing. :3:

(And yes, from earlier, the US is in desperate need of more takeaway curries of every type)

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 11, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen Ramsay enjoy the food, the kitchen and the restaurant. This is messing with my head.

E: Especially her "kids". What the gently caress is wrong with this woman? :psyduck:
I'm gonna spoiler that for people who haven't seen it yet.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 14, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It seems like this should be linked beside the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexQhKIx39Q

And 2010. They've been doing this poo poo for 3 years.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

She must've had an actress playing her in 2010.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/kitchen-nightmare-comes-true-for-arizona-restaurant-owners-182329445.html Enjoy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

gourd is the best person

He is a true trooper for people of the internet. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All the martini talk is going to give me James Bond dreams again tonight :cripes:

Maybe they just wanted a fancy glass or some poo poo. I'm surprised Samy didn't tell them the flies were extra.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:psyduck: Somehow I missed 3 men 1 hammer. What do I drink to get rid of this taste in my mouth?

E: VVVV :golfclap: Well done.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hawkgirl posted:

Hello friends. Where do I eat delicious food on Maui and Oahu? I have never ever been to Hawaii and Hawkboy and I are going for our honeymoon. :3:

Go to Liliha Bakery early on some morning for breakfast. It's been years since I was down in Honolulu, but I'm told their pancakes are still to die for and their bakery items are pretty decent (everyone raves about the cocoa puffs). Go find a curry shop (Coco's Ichibanya or other, whatever smells awesome when you walk in, there's tons down there). Stop at some tiny shack near the beach that has pineapple and seafood and feast (you'll probably find that up towards north shore).

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get saimin from the saimin cart. I know curbside soup in tje tropics may seem weird, but trust me.

Oh, and congratulations!

Do this too.

And yeah, congratulations dude. If you end up hanging around Waikiki a lot, try to park somewhere like Ala Moana mall and take the little trollies around or walk. Driving is awful near any of the big touristy areas on Oahu.