Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OmniElk posted:

As to other kitchen tools, I really do have the most wonderful collection of hideous but amazingly indestructible things. My rolling pin was made by my great grandfather. And there's this really groovy citrus juicer that my Mother bought in Mexico in the '70s that I have absolutely no idea how to use. It weighs approximately three tons.

I'm interested in seeing some of these ancient devices. If you get a chance to get some photos of them that would be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Also - is Rage a good game, because I just bought it, and it is downloading, but my wife wants to have sex tonight, and I am wondering if I should leave her hanging by finishing really fast, and then go play Rage...

Internets: I need your advice!

Well one involves being shoved in a tight corridor dealing with a seemingly endless stream of slime and 'monster closets' that has a disappointing ending.

The other thing is sex, so just do that instead.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

^^^^^^ Mangosteen?

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of crab... I was thinking about how many fake foods there are out there. Without even getting into genetically modified stuff, we have

- Fake crab meat (krab) is pollack
- 99% of "wasabi" is horseradish with green food coloring
- Most stuff sold as cheese at the grocery is "cheese product"
- Most of the "blueberries" you get in muffins are corn syrup and food coloring
- Most "maple syrup" isn't
- Most "balsamic vinegar" isn't
- "Cinnamon" in the US is cassia
- Most "truffle oil" isn't

What else is there

I grew up on a lot of these things. My brother loved the fake crab meat, all I know is cassia for my cinnamon. For the blueberries in muffins, I can't tell what is worse, the little color balls of sugar that you describe that are typically in packaged muffins, or those wierd atrophied imposters that come in cans with muffin mix. "WITH REAL BLUEBERRIES!" Bullshit. I've seen real blueberries, you can't fit more than about 10 in one of those little cans, yet you come in here with about 100 of these sad little berries in heavy syrup. Bullshit.

As for the 'cheese product' poo poo? Come to Wisconsin. Sure, we still have Velveeta and parm in a can, but they are tucked safely away in corners where sunlight cannot reach them, and instead we have entire aisles full of the real stuff, domestic and imported. I have no less than three specialty cheese stores in my city alone. OK, so they are kind of tourist traps, but still... It is glorious.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Rule .303 posted:

113. To roast a WOODCOCK.

When you have dress'd your woodcock, and drawn it under the leg, take out the bitter bit, put in the trales again; whilst the woodcock is roasting set under it an earthen dish with either water in or small gravy, let the woodcock drop into it, take the gravy and put to it a little butter, and thicken it with flour; your woodcock will take about ten minutes roasting if you have a brisk fire; when you dish it up lay round it wheat bread toasts, and pour the sauce over the toasts, and serve it up.

You may roast a partridge the same way, only add crumb sauce in a bason.

ENGLISH HOUSEWIFRY
EXEMPLIFIED
Elizabeth Moxon

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10072/pg10072.html

That's interesting as all hell. I've often wondered how recipe books from the past dealt with cooking temperatures and times before the age of thermometers and controlled temp cooking devices. Only a little surprised that the rule was "Cook over hot fire until it's done". Also enjoy that there are no real measurements The only quantity I saw through skimming was three eggs (OK, I was wrong. There is something called a "jill" used to measure cream). Everything else was just thrown in there. It's like you would need to know how to season properly before picking up this book.

Also, "Soop", "Ragoo" and "Brain Cakes". Sounds good. Gotta say, I'm a big fan of "Hare Pie"

EDIT: VVVVVVV 1764 if I read it correctly. Holy Crap.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 1, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

Freeze in trays, then pop them out and let them hang out in a ziplock bag. Refill trays with water.

I believe he means how do you freeze entire pots of stock in ice cube trays unless you have a lot of them.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

pnumoman posted:

So for lunch today, it was either go to Popeyes or walk a few buildings down to the South American deli and get oxtails over rice and beans.

...yeah, I didn't go for greasy, slightly spicy chicken.

On the other hand, my co worker is a bit disturbed by the sounds of me sucking on oxtails for lunch. Oh well, she can deal. :smug:

Ask her if she feels left out because she doesn't have anything to suck on.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bunnielab posted:

It is also polite to not make her support your weight.

And to bring her a warm washcloth after.

Truly, the mark of a gentleman

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Phummus posted:

While the Danish word for 'safe' might be unsafe, imagine how we all feel over here. We didn't have a word for Danish (the pastry) until you guys came along!

I once had to have a chat with HR for a similar loss of manners. We were going through our annual 'sexual harassment' avoidance seminar and the "woman" who was presenting the course started out with something like, "Every 30 seconds in the US a woman is raped in the workplace." Apparently my suggestion of "Perhaps she should ask for a shift change" was the incorrect response.

Seriously? Raped? I'd believe sexually harassed, but raped?

If that's the case, I'd better step my game up, cause no one in my office has been raped in over a week.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mass production of foodstuffs, (especially livestock) is in general, "a bad thing". It's wasteful for starters, as obviously not all food produced is consumed. I don't know what happens to items past their sell date in most grocery stores, but I imagine that it just gets tossed. And in the case of animals raised for slaughter you have the added bonus of very often inhumane living conditions and shortcuts up, down and sideways that harm the animal and in general return an inferior product.

And that sucks.

However, that is a trade off with living in most modern societies. Would this whole planet be a better, cleaner place if every person grew their own vegetables and raised their own animals for food? Most likely. Is that feasible for most city dwellers working a 9 to 5 and raising 2.5 kids (IE average American)? Not so much.

I would love to have a plot of land where I could have a decent garden. If I had that, I could grow probably most if not all of the vegetables I would consume. And if I had a house, that might be an option. But I don't have a house or a yard. And I certainly don't have the space to raise chickens, or pigs, or cows. And if I did have the room, I certainly don't have the time for dealing with anything other than plants. I already have a full time job.

So, yes. I buy supermarket meat, and I go for the most reasonably priced items I can. I'm part of the problem. But I can't think of a solution that wouldn't involve a world wide change in attitudes and production methods that wouldn't be the result of a major catastrophe.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm doing another NICSA here in a bit. I'm out of ideas for prizes. D'you guys have any suggestions? I'm looking for $30 and below.

When I do mine I'm planning on providing a varied selection of my theme ingredient or the choice of a prepaid Visa card/Amazon gift card if the first option doesn't work.

Cookbooks are good, but you have to find something that the participants don't already have.

Booze is always fun, but I don't know the legalities of shipping it across state lines.

If all else fails you can throw in forums upgrades and the like

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

I'm glad your neck is ok.

To my dismay, I just found a commercially prepared corned beef brisket that had been pushed to the back of the fridge. The expiration date is April 8. I'm thinking that the stuff has enough salt to kill pretty much any bacteria, but--should I chuck it or cook it?

Do a through inspection of the packaging as a whole and then the meat itself. Any holes in the package and away it goes. Any spots or discoloration on the meat - chuck it.

Do the sniff test, but since this is prepared some of the spices may cover up any rot smell (just like in ancient times).

Looks clean and smells clean? You can probably go for it.

That being said, I'm just some guy on the internet and I'm quite squeamish myself so YMMV.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Darval posted:

Not emptyquoting. Just saying I'd watch this.

Also,

GWS Culinary Chat: Don't wash your pants for six months, then use them for stock.

Mmmm. Just like dry aging beef.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Look at dis guy whose never had sex with a German-shouting woman.

See, the problem is that I don't speak German. If I can't tell the difference between your safe word and "harder", nobody is leaving happy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Walk Away posted:

I think I'm having a moment and it's making me crazy. What is the name of the dish that has a tomato base with chicken parts and you bake it in a Dutch oven?

I don't think I saw you confirm any of the offered options, so what about chicken cacciatore?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SubG posted:

Burger Experts

Mmm-hmm. Very interesting.

*Quickly adds "SubG" to list of people to never cross*

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Looking for new music my friends, and having in fresh remembrance still the fact of me asking about books in the book barn and subsequently needing a hysterectomy due to the sudden dragon obsessed personage I had devolved into, I would rather ask here...

Life changing album?

Mine is the Doors - live in concert

Well, I don't know how life changing you are looking for...

Musically, I guess I would have to go with Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Let's Face It. Perhaps not their greatest album, but probably their biggest hit. For me it opened my ears to a genre of music that I had never really experienced and now I go looking for SKA music anywhere I can.

If we mean real life altering albums, I'd probably have to go with George Carlin - Classic Gold. It's a collection of a lot of his early work, which got me hooked on everything else he's done and in a way he shaped the way I think. I was always a goodie-goodie, apple polisher type in school, but his albums and words gave me the ability to not just parrot facts and meet everyone's expectations, but to think for myself and question everything. So in a way, I would consider that life changing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

therattle posted:

My early Fathers' Day present:

:3:

(Used timg so I hope the image isn't too large).

OK. That's pretty adorable.

What does the shirt say?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Can't remember who of you posted this link originally, but holy poo poo I love this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUuKstAWof4

Also:

Manny,
I had prepared a whole follow-up post on interracial stuff, blumpkins, gang-bang and everything, but now I won't post it, as I see that your fetish is not in that direction.

That guy looks like he's having a blast doing that job.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Making birthday brownie for reserve kid - 1.2 kg chocolate, 15 eggs, 400g butter, 1,2 kg sugar and 200g flour..

Holy poo poo - I am gonna make some kids fatter tomorrow!

Fat and happy!

15 eggs?! drat. And equal parts chocolate and sugar. Better than 3 sticks of butter. How many people are you expecting? Those seem like north of 50 people amounts.

VVVV That would explain it better. In my head it was coming together more like a... something that I can't even describe properly. Almost a custard (Yeah, a custard with no dairy, you idiot). That does sound pretty amazing though.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 25, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

pnumoman posted:

Ug, I hate people like that, mostly because I'm actually allergic to fluke and flounder, and I've had multiple trips to the emergency room because of it. Breaking out in hives and having your airway swell up mightily is not loving fun, and gently caress people who claim fake allergies just because they don't like something.

JUST loving SAY YOU DON'T LIKE FISH.

I would have spent that awkward silence slapping the poo poo out of that person. (Okay, I wouldn't have, but I'd be pissed. Mostly that I knew such an infantile person.)

Here's the problem with coming out and saying "(I'm sorry) I don't like __________":

What do you mean you don't like it? Are you retarded? What's wrong with you? I know what the problem is. You've never tried it my way. Here. Just do it. Just loving try it. Just a taste. C'mon rear end in a top hat. Just eat a bite you loving pussy.

And on and on for 10 minutes until you either take a bite of repulsive food (that is exactly the same as you stated before and doesn't change your opinion of said food), or you stand your ground, but the cook gets all butthurt because you wouldn't even try it and becomes super passive aggressive.

I'm not 5. I'm allowed to not like things. I really don't need a guilt trip over food I didn't ask for.

So rather than deal with all that bullshit, I'll sometimes just fake an allergy to make people shut up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

An observer posted:

sure, I'd love to gnaw at a tough piece of nearly leathery meat. Who doesn't go nuts for that? But wait! Let me pour some ketchup on it. Yes, The Perfect Steak

How'd you get my family's secret recipe?

Dane posted:

It's strange, I had this dream where Wiggles used to be a vegetarian.

You're not alone, though for me it was some confused "fact". I'm thinking I had him mixed up with another poster.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Wouldn't it be better to rub it with oil?

Probably grab hot chili oil by mistake

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

A double Emmy winner. Well, knock me over with a feather.

Congratulations all around!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

It would be substantially more damaging in that situation to pull the cord... which makes the idiom better!

Just imagine...

You're standing at the delivery table, your wife is lying there with her legs spread, delivering a 7 pound baby, and after the deed you just yank the cord as hard as possible.

The resulting outcome of that single action would be a pretty apt description of what I am considering doing.

ow. My uterus hurts just reading that and I'm pretty sure I don't have one.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

BlueGrot posted:

Hey guys! I failed a job interview and I'm really happy. When I got there, I clearly stated that I didn't want the job and they were pushing for me anyways. Oh well! Autistic, undiagnosed killer-in-the-making, guess I won't know you!

I know these words are English, because I understand the first two sentences just fine. It's that last one that has me scratching my head. Was the interview for a position at a mental institution?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

The GF and I loving hate him; around our house he is simply known as "rear end in a top hat".

But we LOVE his show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives; he really finds some amazing local food. I love to watch people put so much TLC into scratch cooking, specially when it's based on old family recipes. We've also been inspired to make our own versions of some of the food we see.

Guy's incessant mugging is loving annoying, and he is totally disrespectful to the cooks he interviews. God forbid the owner be a cute chick, and then his maturity level drops from 15 years-old to about 12. I'd like a "Garfield without Garfield" edit of the show where they just bleep out all of his dialog.

This man speaks the truth. I want to see an episode where maybe you hear him confirm what some of the ingredients are, you see the stuff being made, and you see the paying customers enjoy the food. Edit him and his dumb rear end out of the show. Or failing that, can I see him get shoved accidentally trip into a meat slicer, or buffalo grinder.

And it very often seems like the cooks on the show can't stand him being there. Just some of the glares he gets, just daggers, staring at him.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and I hope to god that his getting these places in the limelight is helping these companies. But is it possible to keep the format and drop the douche?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I remember hearing something about putting super cheap vodka through a charcoal filter like a Brita or something making it more palatable. Does this work?

Potentially. The mythbusters tested this and got mixed results. They took gut rot, ran it through a clean filter 7 times and had a shot removed before each stage. They then randomly sampled each version along with a premium brand. (So, rot gut, 1 filtration, 2, 3 ... 7 filtrations, premium vodka)

Their vodka expert was able to rank them all correctly by filtration, and picked out the premium brand. So the quality seemed to go up as you continued to filter, but that did not make it equal to a premium brand. It just removed more of the foul tasting minerals.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Have I been doing something wrong? Soap is great, but ammonia and bleach in my bread dough makes it so airy.

Re: guac-this always comes out with little red and white and green bits in it at the restaurant, as well as a big dollop of something white. Whenever I make it home it's just green. What should I do?

There must be something wrong with your recipe. Here, try this one from honorary ambassador to flavors of Mexico, Sandra Lee

quote:

2 large Hass avocados
2 tablespoons medium salsa
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon jalapeno juice
Salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until the consistency of vomit. Serve chilled with a side of corn nuts.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

dino. posted:

Had to call an ambulance because the pain in my back was so bad that I was not able to sleep. The pain kept stabbing and I'd already finished off the last of my pills. Ambulance came at 3 am. I just got out. Currently waiting to fill my prescriptions again. 30 minute wait, according to cvs. gently caress me. I can feel the shot they put in me @ the ER starting to wear down.

There is a guy at the hospital who tells people how to get follow up visits to a specialist when necessary. Seeing as how this is my 3rd ER visit, I need one. So he called a guy he knows. Apparently the back doc only works from Friday. But since he knows the guy personally, he called the doctor to ask if doc was in town.

Yes. He is. And they'll see me at 2 pm today. Finally.

I'm sorry to hear about the persistent back pain, but congrats being able to get in to see the specialist this quickly. Hope it's not anything serious.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

dino. posted:

What in the blue gently caress ...?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R58QB4/

The "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" list for that is pretty good too.

Jolly Rancher scented candle
90 serving emergency meal bucket
Big Wet Asses - 4GB of porn on a flash drive
And a Lobster mascot costume

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I think the most shocking thing (after voluntarily naming your dishes after bowel movements) is that this is not from Japan.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Jesus, fun times in the chat thread this week.

To both dino and Wiggles, you have my sympathies.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

dino. posted:

Move is over. Boss saw me at work on Thursday and how spaced out I seemed. He strongly suggested (I.e., demanded) that I get away and go see family because I seem to be in shock still. On the bus to VA now.

It sounds like you have some good people in your life who care for you and don't want to see you hurt. Take this opportunity to get yourself sorted out. It may take a while, but things will get better eventually.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

pr0k posted:

I had a moment like that, there were two perfectly round pieces of breast meat on the inside of the chest cavity, a little smaller than golf balls, near the neck end. Symmetric, so I assume they were supposed to be there. Never seen anything like it on a chicken iirc.

Ah, the chesticles. Good eatin'.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

When I was first learning to cook I took some groupon cooking lessons and sometimes got upset when instructors would come with pre-made stuff. Like, he would tell us how to make a sauce but he'd come with premade sauce that we would use in our recipes. I wanted to learn everything about the process and it felt like I was being robbed of a chance to learn hands-on.

After reading the last couple pages... maybe I had them all wrong. Maybe they wanted to teach but got disillusioned after having so many hordes of unteachable people show up to their classes.

When you say he came in with pre-made sauce, do you mean that for the cooking lesson he'd come in with a mason jar of homemade marinara he made last weekend or that he'd come in with a jar or Ragu from Wal-mart?

If it's the first, and he was telling you how to make the sauce in class, that kind of makes sense because some pasta sauces can take hours of simmering and rather than do that in class, it's better to just bring in a prepared jar to demonstrate.

If on the other hand he was bringing in mass produced jarred garbage, then yeah, it's ok to be upset about that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cilantrocoriander tastes like soap to some people? Those poor people.

I'm one of those poor stupid bastards who can't enjoy cilantro because of the taste of it. Soapy is probably the closest descriptor I can put to it. I mean, I can also taste the grassy, kind of peppery notes, but they are just overshadowed by the soapy flavor. And for me, it's really kind of less soap and just more alkaline, kind of like if you put too much baking soda in something.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

EDIT: And Gravity manages to say it in much fewer words...

Croatoan posted:

So I'm cribbing a local fusion restaurant's idea and making corn beef tacos. Help me out here.

Flour tortillas
Corned beef, shredded
Shredded cabbage
Diced onions

I need a sauce. Sriracha + greek yogurt? Sriracha + Mayo? Plain old salsa? What sayeth you food goons?

At this point, you're basically making a reuben wrap. You could go whole hog and throw thousand island on there. Maybe caramelize the onions before throwing them on there. Maybe a mustard sauce instead of the dressing...

Corned beef is typically on the salty side and you have the various other spices that go into a beef (black pepper, bay leaf, all spice, mustard seeds). I'd probably use a sweet corn-black bean salsa for a topping there. I don't know how big a serving of beef you were thinking of, but for me, corned beef is kind of heavy as it is, where I consider tacos to be lighter, so something acidic to cut through that. Citrus is kind of traditional on tacos, but I can't see lemon/lime with corned beef. Kraut might be good, but that puts you back in reuben territory.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well, first of all, I've never asked for a free meal in my life, so it's not like something I regularly do. The owner was paranoid that I was going to sue him, so in my mind I was setting him at ease. I said to him "I really like your restaurant, and I'm going to keep eating here, but could you please comp this meal?", and that seemed like a great relief to him.

Hell, I'll give them a free plug here, because I think they have some of the best Indian food in the entire Boston area (no mean feat):
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sher-a-punjab-quincy

I apologize if this was some other goon, but is this the same place where the "Great Food" had metal shavings/iron filings/a big loving bolt or other piece of hardware in it?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ug, and my consulting group is headquartered there.

Thankfully I haven't run into any overt racism, but the Southern Belle types that work at the home office never fail to amuse me. Always skirts, heels and full make up, 24/7, even if it's just a team building field trip to a bowling alley with the other consultants. Also, they don't understand any yiddish. Never realized how much yiddish slang I use, I guess it's from listening to too much Howard Stern?

There's no such thing as too much Yiddish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

contrapants posted:

While cooking last night, I realized that I seem to have forgotten I have burner settings other than high. I blame my cast iron.

Make some eggs, that ought to fix that.