Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ricola, those old menus are awesome. Sending the link all across the office now.

Did you come across these as part of your dadjob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Also - is Rage a good game, because I just bought it, and it is downloading, but my wife wants to have sex tonight, and I am wondering if I should leave her hanging by finishing really fast, and then go play Rage...

Internets: I need your advice!

Rage is OK. What you need is some Fallout New Vegas.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You can get coconut oil, and maybe said oil was deployed as emergency lube?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I've had sauces like it many times (I lived in south east asia for 7 years), but hadn't had Sriracha specifically because it wasn't really available/common in SEA.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Well considering Canada's lack of experience with heat...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't you work with dangerous and heavy machinery for a living?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Presentation has a lot to do with. Expertly presented shellfish at a restaurant is a lot more enticing than weeks old garlic in your fridge.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The latent alcoholism?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

I'm pretty sure the correct etiquette is to show up late wearing sweatpants and a stained wolfshirt along with your buddy and girlfriend that you've never mentioned until now. You need to comment loudly on how it's great that two homos can totally get married and poo poo and aint' that crazy how dem gays are like real people now. If you know any jokes that are simultaneously demeaning to women and people of different ethnicities then you should bust one of those out to break the ice. Since you brought your girlfriend it would be good manners to loudly mention how, "I ain't stickin my dick in no dude but man I wish I had married a dude that didn't bitch about leaving the seat up. Amirite fellas?" Hold your hand up high for a high-five and wait. If it's not answered, turn to your buddy, who has done nothing but sit silently and glower until now and they will "get you back". Your girlfriend should bray with laughter at your witticism.

Dinner is the most important part of the evening and to celebrate it properly you need to ask loudly for ketchup right at the start and then guffaw at your own joke. Comment on the color, texture and appearance of each dish. Anecdotes about not knowing the difference between curry and pig poo poo are most welcome. Please remember that your indoor voice should not change appreciably from your outdoor voice. If people don't hear you, how can they know how funny you are? Glowering friend should mutter something and start eating any bread on the table and only the bread. Girlfriend is advised to ask endless questions about every ingredient in the meal because she might have an allergy to common non-allergens.

I mention this in case you want to be excruciatingly polite but uttering the phrase, "Got anything *good*?" while stirring your meal around on the plate is considered the mark of only the most refined. It's not necessary for having a good time at a meal but you may want to keep it in your repertoire for special occasions.

Finally, the evening will end and you'll leave dino's house. If any alcohol was served earlier it behooves you to drink it as fast as possible so that you may be fully inebriated partway into dinner. Remember that as a guest you have certain, inalienable rights that transcend culture and circumstance. If at any time you don't feel that you are properly being catered to and that each whim is not met with a smile and prompt service it is considered appropriate to inform the host of this lack by commenting to your girlfriend. Indirect comments are the norm for any adult dinner party.

A backhanded compliment on your way out the door is the gracious way to end a dinner with friends. One option, "well, whatever that poo poo was, it was pretty tasty I guess. Good thing Taco Bell is 24-hours, amirite?" Laugh merrily and stagger to your car secure in the knowledge that you have comported yourself with all the dignity and good breeding one could hope for in a modern gentleman.

I hope this helps.

:golfclap:

This is a thing of beauty.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Phummus posted:

Is there a GWS google + hangout? If not, is there any interest in one?

It's this:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/extras/talk.google.com/spoongoons

Generally, when people are on it, they tell the IRC channel #foodchat that they're in it so that fellow goons with spoons can join.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'll be in London from 13th April till 28 April, anyone for meeting up and eating a food?

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2012

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sweet Rattle, PM sent! I'm totally up for it!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

a double wedgie was threatened?
No:

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Trip report: tried to kill my wife and cook her. She gave me a black eye and a wedgie and told me to make myself scarce for a while unless I want "another one to go along with the first one", she then pointed at my broken eye and slowly made a fist.

The bolded part informs the reader/husband that the "another one to go along with the first" refers to the punch to the eye.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I don't think mayo should go on a pizza.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Magnificent! What were some of the things you ate?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why the gently caress are restaurant websites the most likely sort of websites to have loving music built in to them? I find it extremely annoying to be assaulted by lovely music every time I want to look at a menu of a new restaurant.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sweat Poteto and I ate a Thai foods in London at Esarn Kheaw:

Apps:
http://i.imgur.com/1g8CU.jpg

Mains:
http://i.imgur.com/6apxL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eyRRw.jpg

Dessert:
http://i.imgur.com/PFtv9.jpg

Lovely place, nice staff, excellent flavours. It was an excellent evening! Thanks Poteto for introducing me to the restaurant!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

dino. posted:

I have some kind of horrible head congestion thing, and am miserable and coughing and junk. I hate everything and everyone, and want to crawl into a hole and die. :(
Eat a soup! And drink a tea!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I Shoot Friendlies, you dummy, advocating buying ethical meat doesn't mean that non ethical meat production will stop nor does it mean poor people will now starve harder.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice one Gravity!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're shopping there because the good local butchers and liquor stores and general goods sellers have been put out of business by places like Costco and walmart et. al., the sort of establishment which you, in finest Stockholm syndrome style, are defending (while they watch you and check your receipt to make sure you haven't stolen anything because, hey, you can't trust the working classes.) So congratulations, you're part of the problem.

If the 'good' local butchers and liquor stores and general good sellers were actually good as you proclaim, they wouldn't have gone out of business, i.e. whatever extra service or slightly differentiated substitute goods they had provided weren't actually sufficiently enticing to the working class whom you so vigorously defend to keep said local stores in business.

In the end, your compatriots voted with their wallets, because, hey, they found it fun to have cheaper groceries as it increases their standard of living by being able to afford other things!

So congratulations, you're imaging a problem where this isn't one.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Is that based on the amount the world currently produces or on the amount we could produce with genetically modified crops and modern farming worldwide?
Paging I Shoot Friendlies.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

close to toast posted:

Has anyone here ever experienced steaks tasting distinctly soapy?

Did you put cilantro on them?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wasn't tip chat verboten?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Goon approved National Service sounds a bit lovely, TBH.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

^^^ This man knows how to noogle.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah but front loaders are terrible for the last sock you forgot to throw in.

Full disclosure: I have a frontloader.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Piece < sammie.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I got my haircut again yesterday afternoon. It's not a special occasion - I go every month. But it made me think I'm glad there is still such a thing as a barbershop with old country music on the am radio, playboys and cattle raising magazines in the rack, and a guy who not only does a good shave with a straight razor (not as a hipster thing but because he's been barbering that way for 50 years) but where you only get the kind of haircut that the barber is going to give you, and if you ask for anything different the barber tells you no because if he complies with your request he knows that your woman will call him up and give him hell about it.

Wiggles' hair salon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXD8yOxIPB0

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I lived in Glasgow for 2 years. Trust me, it's pointless.

No idea about Sterling.

If in Scotland, go to Edinburgh, it's interesting. Also go to the Isle of Skye, it's great.

London is awesome, which is where I am right now. You can stay anywhere you like, the Tube is everywhere.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I also suggest driving around the perimeter of the UK, really nice views. Scottish mountains are ultra pretty too.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What happened?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Halallelujah!

Awesome news!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I started an interdepartmental war today between 3 departments, none of which are my own, and I'm CCed in all the communication.

It was glorious.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp at least the hatred is mutual. Said I had "things to work on" and am currently hiding in my barn with rhe dogs. Her parents are craaaaazy. Send help. And beer. And a burg.
What did they do that is crazy?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Casu, kick em out. It's your house and you should not have to feel uncomfortable in your own house.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Kids wanted to learn how to hunt small game, so I took them to the range today to get used to using .22s.

They shoot better than I do. :ughh:

Ahaha, excellent!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

She must have only been on the job for a short while.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mindphlux posted:

it's funny, when I was growing up, we had a gas fireplace and gas stove in our house. during the like 3 times in a decade where it actually snowed in Georgia, our power would go down for a day or two, and my mom would be like 'thank god we have a gas stove so we can still eat warm food, and a gas fireplace so we can heat one room of the house!'

I think our hot water heater was gas powered too because I could go take long candlelit baths in very dark cold rooms :3:

Have you ever felt a pressing need to give birth in your kitchen?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sounds like a very productive weekend.

I spent the majority of mine learning Perl (so I can make my own dumb scripts instead of bugging our Dev team) and getting familiar with Server 2012's Print Services (so that I could network my lameass USB only laser printer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mindphlux posted:

how is server 2012? I guess I should start playing around with it... :/

almost comically amused by the thought of a metro style server interface, but I'm sure they didn't actually do that

still pissed off about SBS though :mad:

Server 2012 is good. I'm just a noob at this, but it's simple enough even for me to use. Setting up Remote Desktop was cake, setting Storage spaces was cake etc etc.

You can ignore the Metro UI. Server manager screen is where I do everything, and that's not metro-ish.

Basically, if you have MSDN/Technet, you should check it out.