Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Carbs don't fill you up as fast as protein per calorie. When you're vegan, you're eating a lot of carbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's not an Amazon thing, Kindle prices are always set by the publisher. And publishers are greedy as poo poo.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Why don't we have a Seattle dining thread? Should I make one?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The reason I love lobster isn't really a flavor thing, but a texture thing. I really really like shellfish in general though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

It drives me crazy when my girlfriend washes disposable forks. We have real forks! The only - only! - reason to use a shittier disposable version is you don't have to wash it when you're done!

I wash disposable forks because they're pretty sturdy, and I like to pack them when I bring meals to eat outside of my home, so if I lose something it's no biggie. Same with the container I use to bring the meals in (usually those plastic take out containers/tubs you get from restaurants). Although now I use my Zoji Mr. Bento.

I still reuse ziploc bags, sous vide bags, and sometimes paper towels too. Although the paper towel thing is more at my mom's house because she hates being wasteful (which I did inherit) and typically uses paper towels for things that won't get them really dirty (and side towels for things that will get them super dirty and washes them religiously). I'm talking about using it to steam something in a microwave or use as lining when steaming over a pot, etc (or tiny spills or crumbs which would be a pain to get out completely from a towel). My boyfriend used to BLOW HIS NOSE using loving paper towels when he didn't have kleenex in the house, first time he did it I looked at him like he had a second head.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The things are perfectly fine after you wash them and what's the point of being more wasteful than necessary? It's not like they don't still serve a different purpose from their more permanent counterparts.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

ulmont posted:

I actually prefer blowing my nose with paper towels rather than Kleenex. Kleenex shreds all over my 5 o'clock shadow, which starts at about 10am.

He didn't have this problem. On top of that, he'd use an entire sheet when you'd need maybe 1/4 of a sheet. But I'm sure there are perfectly legitimate reasons to blow your nose using paper towels. It's just something that I tease him about a lot, but he doesn't do it anymore.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

so, submerged in the oil you cooked them in? they really last indefinitely? I keep on buying roasted garlic at the little olive bar thing at my supermarket, but I throw it out after a week or so. of course, it's not submerged in oil. once it turned green and smelled like death. :( dunno how they prepare theirs though.

Isn't that basically like garlic confit, where confit was a way used as a preservative?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Seems to me like if you have a SV set up, it'd be easier/safer to do it that way.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

SV above 121*c ?

I read F, my bad. But 121 C seemed high to me, so I looked up Douglas Baldwin who says...

quote:

a 6 decimal reduction in non-proteolytic C. botulinum requires 520 minutes (8 hours 40 minutes) at 167°F (75°C), 75 minutes at 176°F (80°C), or 25 minutes at 185°F (85°C) (Fernández and Peck, 1999). The food may then be stored at below 39°F (4°C) indefinitely, the minimum temperature at which B. cereus can grow (Andersson et al., 1995).

also:

quote:

While keeping your food sealed in plastic pouches prevents recontamination after cooking, spores of Clostridium botulinum, C. perfringens, and B. cereus can all survive the mild heat treatment of pasteurization. Therefore, after rapid chilling, the food must either be frozen or held at

below 36.5°F (2.5°C) for up to 90 days,
below 38°F (3.3°C) for less than 31 days,
below 41°F (5°C) for less than 10 days, or
below 44.5°F (7°C) for less than 5 days

So you were probably just doing it high enough for long enough.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

therattle posted:

I always leave them on the counter. I have very very rarely had an egg go off. If you are concerned give it a shake. If you hear a sloshing sound, it's gone off.

Yeah you can keep fresh eggs out for awhile. My parents never refrigerated them back in China. They do now though, something about them not trusting the eggs from the supermarket.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

So I am in talks to maybe move to Charlotte, NC for work for the next six months. I assume pork bbq grows on trees, but other then that can anyone comment on the local food and booze scene? I will be mostly alone and working with people I cant/don't want to hang out with.

A friend of mine from New York said: 'Charlotte is the only city on the SE coast worth anything and is the only reason I'm here.'

He loves NY for the record. So I expect something of the sort. Pork BBQ isn't as prevalent as you'd expect, I actually haven't had any here and I've been here for over 5 years now. But I'm in the RDU area.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

What's an RUD and how is there no pork?

They want someone in the position "yesterday" so this will be a fast negotiation process.

RDU is the Raleigh Durham area. It's where the RTP (Research Triangle Park) is. There is pork, I'm just saying, it's not going to be 100% or even 30% of what will be available to you. I haven't had any here because I prefer making my own and some of the best restaurants here don't do BBQ pork.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

So like do you sell your pork and can I roll it into some other line item?

But really, any info about the area would be great.

I can tell you some generals about the state/the weather, etc. But I don't really know too much about Charlotte specifically besides what my friend's told me. It is pretty much the only 'real city' around this area though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Stalizard posted:

Just gonna casually leave this here, looking up and whistling like it's no big deal

:stare: (Gonna head out somewhere tmr...)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Soooooooooooooooo jealoussssss.

I'd sleep there the first night. No real suggestions though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

i shoot friendlies posted:

How do you feel about using a juicer to make braising liquid? If I am braising short ribs, I usually use the normal, carrot, onion, celery, garlic. Then, when the liquid needs to be reduced, I strain all that stuff out (what a pain in the neck) and toss it. What if, instead of that, I juiced the veggies and just add their liquid.

I have a hard core centrifugal juicer, the pulp comes out dry. Would that bring all the flavors over without the pain in the neck straining of the liquid at the end?

Why not just reduce and immersion blend the veggies with the liquid? That's what I do and it makes an amazing thick sauce. The idea of juicing the stuff sounds kind of gross really...

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Does anyone here make a braising liquid that does not include veggies?

Yes.

(Animal stock and wine are oft used braising liquids, for instance.)

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 18, 2012

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

someone didn't get the sarcasm... :rolleyes:

I'd totally eat your V8 meat juice grav.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Vlex posted:

You have terrible opinions.

Hahaha I was going to post the same thing but exited out.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

No kidding. That is what I said. The base is wine and stock, but does anyone use only wine and stock? I have never seen anything braised without veggies or veggie juice. Does anyone braise without any aromatics and other vegetable based things in his stock?

...that's what I'm saying. You can braise using only wine and/or stock. Are you this hostile to everyone who tries to answer your questions?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I love Real Food Science Talk. :allears:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Time for another cooking duel?

No. It'd be too boring.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

God damm Charlotte has some disappointing grocery stores. I assume there is something better in the burbs but it seems kind of ridiculous to drive out of the city to find better stores.

In somewhat related news, my love of mustard-based bbq sauce has reached new heights. There is a new bbq place about to open by my office, i have very high hopes.

This is pretty much an epidemic in all of NC. I wish you luck. :)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Serendipitaet posted:

Going off a W&W suggestion, I just made cauliflower soup using nothing but chicken stock, half a head of cauliflower, a little milk and some nutmeg. Steam the cauliflower in stock until soft, blend, add milk, season, and it's done. Really creamy and delicious, few calories. :)

Add some roasted red peppers to this. :) It's the most delicious thing ever.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Does wiggles hate Costco or something? Even Ripert got over his hatred of the place.

There is no way you're not trolling. :|

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Is "swole" just shorthand for "muscular?

Yes and no. It can also refer to being strong without a focus on hypertrophy. Also, muscular can imply low body fat and swole has nothing really to do with body fat and more with just sheer muscle mass for your size. But it's more of just a term we use as sort of an identifier for the community.

VVV Haha what.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 13, 2012

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I was talking about what people refer to in YLLS when talking about swole. That's why I said 'also'. As in it can refer to two sides of the same coin.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Trying to compare having one child to the former standard of 3-4 children, where many house chores are vastly easier due to conveniences such as the dish washer or washing machine and then getting :smug: about it is pretty dickish.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Walk Away posted:

Well then it didn't come across right. I'm trying to say that having kids isn't a bleak pit of despair and that it can actually be fun.

You were replying to a post trying to give context as to why women might choose to go for 'time saving' food that we consider trash here when they have the knowledge and skill to put out amazing food. So yes, I'd say it came across wrong.

I'm not trying to say that I don't commiserate with dino.'s feeling of :sigh:, but it's possible to regret that they felt the need to do that while understanding the context which pushed them to that choice. Additionally, I didn't feel like CC's post was saying that these mothers were miserable.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 13, 2012

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

You're not alone, though for me it was some confused "fact". I'm thinking I had him mixed up with another poster.

Unless I'm going senile, I remember when Wiggles switched back to eating meat a long time ago. He definitely used to be vegetarian.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
bartolimu: I'm going to Vegas for the first time for Thanksgiving. (getting there Weds night, leaving Sunday night) Do you have any recommendations for shows/things to do/restaurants? I already have Lotus of Siam on my 'Must do list', but I'd love some tips while I put together an itinerary.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Hauki posted:

Jaleo/É & Bouchon are definitely worth stopping in. That's all I've got for now though.

bartolimu posted:

These are both solid recommendations. Bouchon is great anytime but I'm a big fan of doing their breakfast/brunch. It's one of the best values on the Strip, with great variety. If the chef is in the mood to do eggs benedict, get them. He rarely does it and they're a real treat. At Jaleo, get the secreto - Iberico pig skirt steak with who the gently caress cares what it comes with, it's Iberico pig. If they're serving Jose's Tacos they're fun for being one of the most over-the-top things you can fit in your mouth (shaved Iberico ham wrapped around a big spoonful of caviar). If you're in the Cosmopolitan and want something different, Comme Ça is also very good for dinner and Milos offers a multi-course lunch for $20.12 that is one of the best values in town.

Chinatown (west of the Strip, mostly on Spring Mountain) is great, there are very good pho spots (I favor Little Saigon, but most are at least passable). If you want ramen with a level of horror only Vegas can create, you could try Anime Ramen. Alternately, you could go 100 yards farther west and eat at the best drat ramen house in the city, Monta. For a hypertraditional, amazing Japanese dinner Raku is two doors down from Monta and gets rave reviews. There's also Sen of Japan farther afield. The chef there opened Nobu Las Vegas. His food is every bit as good and half the price, with the added benefit of not having to put up with the horrible Jersey Shore reject clientele that inhabits the Hard Rock ruining your dinner by drunkenly screaming at the server about how "That was the sickest sushi I've ever had in my life, bro."

If you want the most authentic Mexico City style tacos in the US, go to Tacos El Gordo. They apparently have three locations in Vegas now, including a Strip one if Google is to be believed. I recommend the original on Charleston. It's the only one I can verify is staffed by awesome cooks who know what the gently caress they're doing. The adobada dude is some kind of minor food diety, I think.

If you're in town on a Saturday (and really, who isn't?) consider checking out Saturday Night Truck Stop. Food trucks let two Strip chefs use their stuff in a Throwdown-style competition. It's good fun, close to the Strip, goes from 8pm into the wee hours, and you'll get fed. Best experienced during not summer since it's outdoors.

I should really get around to making a Vegas food thread at some point. Is there anything in particular you're looking for? I can make recommendations til my fingers go numb if not given something to focus on.

Yess, that's already quite a bit for me to check out. I wasn't specific because we love checking out new places and different things. If anything, I am just looking for things we would be hard pressed to find outside of Vegas or Vegas just does particular well. We live in Seattle (and I grew up in Toronto), if that gives you any idea of our reference point. My boyfriend isn't really into interesting preparations and technique like I am, so a good balance between the two is something that I am mindful of, but that's more for my itinerary planning.

Of the suggestions:

-Milos, Jaleo, Bouchin, and e all look like great solid food.
-First appetizer I saw from Comme Ca's menu was 'Roasted Bone Marrow & Oxtail Jam' so YES
-Nobu in San Diego served me some of the best seafood of my life, so Sen of Japan is something I have to check out.
-I will pass on Anime Ramen, thanks. :stare: I am intrigued by a ramen house because I have yet to find a good one in both TO and Seattle, so might try out Monta.
-Saturday Night Truck Shop is kind of exactly what I was looking for without knowing it. drat that's amazing!

I only have 7 food slots and I'm already wondering how I'm going to wittle down what I want. This is the best feeling. :3:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You don't have to be an extreme racist (or what most of us envision when we think of racists) to perpetuate racist acts/beliefs/practices ingrained in society because at the core our culture is still pretty racist.

Basically, I don't think anyone is saying that everyone who posted in that manner in that thread are terrible shithead racists.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Ricola could be made to post the awful tattoo he talks about but refuses to post.

Has he never posted it? I definitely saw enough of it on IRC....

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Am I the only one who are thinking of helping out the YLLS people with sound advice... because those people clearly are one step away from self-flagellation while eating..

Thinking of posting a thread: Help from GWC - More proteins?? 'Natural Harvest' is the answer" - containing delicious things that they can do easily, without sitting and crying in the shower while eating pudding cups!

Would anyone support such a thread from GWC?

As I said in the thread, I've been thinking about this since I started my TFLC log. The problem is, the way YLLS thinks is distinctly opposite to the way GWC thinks (and really, that's why the problem is actually difficult to solve because you are balancing two opposing schools of thoughts), and I felt a thread like that without the support of GWC would be a) useless b) spiral into retardedness.

So, yes, I'd support it fullheartedly.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Disqualified? Uhhh HELLO! You're one of the most qualified people in here to get them out of the "chicken breast is my main protein" rut. Introduce them to some alternative sources of protein.

Great post username combo.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Ok maybe I'm really missing something here but wouldn't introducing YLLS to sources of protein that aren't meat (or whey powder) be a good thing? And wouldn't the guy who wrote a book on how to make tasty vegetarian dishes who's used to working around all sorts of dietary restrictions be just the man for the job?

YLLS are aware of other sources of protein. We use chicken breast/thigh and whey powder for a very specific reason - because we need the protein:calorie:cost ratio to fit our macro/calorie restrictions while eating with enough variety in our meals to keep sane. Just for reference, I eat 1050 kcals and 100g of protein per day (I should be eating more, rule of thumb is your lb weight in grams). This is very common for a woman my height/size.

This is honestly just a pet peeve of mine when people trot out things like quinoa and nuts as good sources of protein. No, gently caress you it's not. Just because something has protein in it does not mean it's a good source.

For every 100 calories, with no additional ingredients to make it a good tasting meal:
Whey powder has 20g of protein.
Shrimp has 19.2g of protein. (My favorite source of protein.)
Skinless chicken breast has 18.6g of protein.
Skinless chicken thigh has 16.g of protein. (My second favorite source of protein.)
-------------------------------------
Tofu has 10.9g of protein.
Tempeh has 9.3g of protein.
Quinoa has 3.7g of protein.
Almonds have 3.7g of protein.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 21, 2012

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

dino. posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518581

If anyone has stuff to add, please chime in, and do so. I'll link your posts on the OP.

Nice thread dino. You clearly put a lot of thought into it.

bartolimu posted:

Now now. Remember you're dealing with people who aren't nearly as adept at navigating the world of protein sources as the YLLS fitcrew, we just know how to make things tasty. Less "gently caress you it's not," more charts and tables and :science:. Also whey powder is cheating, there I said it. :colbert:

Sorry, like I said, it's very much a pet peeve - and the 'gently caress you it's not' wasn't directed at any specific person, just the attitude in general displayed by people who publish entire articles saying this while clearly not knowing what they're talking about. It's frustrating to see it everywhere. Anyways, I really think the thread should just stick to the 'let's make things tasty' and steer clear of telling YLLS what to eat.

I agree about Whey powder. I have it as a supplement when necessary, but I hate eating it because it's pretty much impossible to make it taste as good as real food.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I just had the most epic series of food comas in Vegas that ended the only way a weekend in Vegas can end. In bed, sick.

We started off with Korean BBQ (some of the best I've had since Toronto), then e by Jose Andres (wherein we got food poisoning but it was still worth it - quite possibly the best tasting menu I've ever had, way too much food though), then Lotus of Siam (I ate an entire catfish, it was glorious. Not as spicy as it was touted to be though. We went with 7 and I barely noticed it.), then some crazy rabbit/pate gateau with some other spectacular entrees from Bouchon, and finished off the trip with paella at Julian Serrano. Thanks to both bart and Hauki for the suggestions. Pics are on my boyfriend's phone because mine kept dying, so they're incoming.

I straight up gained 4 lbs. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Charmmi posted:

If you gained weight despite food poisoning then that must've been a grand ole time.

Yeah, it was a ton of food. Although, the food poisoning happened on Thursday night, and I just threw up and had a horrible night but was fine after that. I was also on my feet walking/dancing almost the entire time (barring eating and sleeping) so I hope I worked most of it off. I imagine most of it was water weight since I normally don't eat much carbs, as well as from the flight. I do need to lose a bit of weight before going to Seychelles though. The worst part of going on a beach vacation for the holiday season is having to be in bikini shape and having so much goddamn food around.

Anyways, it was so drat worth it either way. I really recommend people check out e if they have a chance to go to Vegas. It's definitely the closest thing to El Bulli I've seen in the US. But then so was the bill :gonk:. Lotus, on the other hand, was much cheaper and definitely everything it was cracked up to be. Some of the best Asian food I've had in North America. Completely worth the cab bill to go off strip.