Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I get out of my shell and have a lot of fun with Yelp events. In Tucson they're almost always free and you meet a ton of people. Even more if you get elite status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I found a :nws: thing while researching ketchup types, https://nakedvegancooking.com
Apparently there's a nudist vegan community. It makes sense, I guess, but it hadn't really occurred to me before this.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The ones I ran into in cape cod and some places in Maine were on a toasted piece of folded white bread. It was suggested that in those cases you just eat the filling.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

In Virginia, we have a poo poo ton of different specialty license plates (bowling enthusiast? We've got a plate for you!) which can result in hilarity. The classic is of course the "kids first" vanity plate reading EAT THE

I saw the best one. It was a Ducks Unlimited plate that read CONFIT

I've seen this one driving around town.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I would like you to accompany me to Taco Bell Olive Garden

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

SubG posted:

Chicken Alfredo and raspberry lemonade. That's Italian!

I'll have the bruschetta authentico please.
You know it's authentic because it says so.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ohh, local fancy fried chicken place is doing a lunch special of a fried green tomato BLT... I think I'll have to check that out.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

:toot: I can't remember who posted the Carbonara thread, but thank you. It has become a recurring dish in my life and I submitted it to a local weekly Yelp event to pick specials for an Italian restaurant in town and it won.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Standard warnings about Botulism risk for confit garlic, since you're storing food in an anaerobic environment and I guess the botulism spores either contaminate it after it is off the heat or they're resistant to the relatively low heat levels used. Guidelines I've seen have suggested that you keep it refrigerated and not keep it for more than two weeks. That may be overkill, I don't know. I bet NosmoKing could shed some light on the matter.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, in theory if you could make the oil somewhat acidic you'd be fine - which is why anaerobic conditions in a pickle jar don't result in botulism. You'd start loving with your flavors, though maybe you could pull off something both tasty and effective. Not sure how to acidify oil outside of an emulsion, and sticking your garlic confit cloves in mayo would be weird.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I am so loving excited right now :dance: because this place apparently just opened a little ways away from where I work. It is supposed to be fantastic. http://chinapastahouse.com/China_Pasta_House/menu.html

There is a decent chance I will bring home like $80 worth of buns, dumplings and noodles and not be able to eat it all in one sitting and slip into a good-Chinese-food induced coma surrounded by cooling steamed buns.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I think my roommate and fiancee would kill me if I went there first without them, but I will definitely report back when we get a chance to go

I really like that I can just stick the chinese text into google and get an idea of what exactly the dish is easily. Oh internet :allears:

They said I can go, will see if they're as good as I'm hoping, woo.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 23, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Oooh lordy that place owns. Got a bunch of food to try and leave the rest for roommate and fiancee, including:
Mushroom bun (awesome)
Pork and chinese cabbage bun (ok)
Fried leek dumplings (Very tasty, filling a new one to me. Basically an empanada filled with chopped chinese leeks)
Pork noodles (goddamn, five spice broth, fresh noodles, some cilantro, mushrooms and roasted pork belly)
The pork and preserved egg congee (good, way better than the congee I had in Vegas which cost five times as much and didn't have anything in it. Not decided on the preserved egg, first time trying it)
Tea egg (holy loving poo poo where have these been all of my life I feel like doing a chinese food version of cool hand luke oh my god. They're 50c a piece.)
Pork steamed buns (Pork har gao. Tasty, the sauce was really good too. Don't know my chinese sauce flavors well enough to even begin deconstructing it.)

I also bought a few things specifically for my other householders, including another tea egg which I am contemplating stealing, a crispy sugar cake and a char siu bun.

Food as far as the eye can see, and with a generous tip it was just over $30.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 23, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

har gao is not a bun. :colbert: I think you mean char siu bao. :)

Eh, they were called "buns" on the English portion of the menu, but they were clearly har gao. I can't read pinyin so I'm not sure what they have down as the actual name. The menu is a little disorganized. The char siu bao I got for the roommate is pretty good too. I feel like I could grab a couple of buns for $1.50 each and be very happy for lunch.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Charmmi posted:

Did these come peeled already? Were they sliced? Was it an egg by itself or served as a side to accompany something? Were there pictures? If there weren't you should go back and take pictures.

I want a place like that here, in my most fantastical daydreams it's what we turn Chin's Cafe into.

Cracked but not peeled, whole. I saw other people order them while I was waiting for the to go order and they didn't seem to be accompanying anything else. I just peeled and ate it by itself when I came home. The impression I got from the wikipedia article is that they're just a snack food normally, and that seems to be what they were served as here. Next time I have a party I'm definitely considering making a batch, seems pretty simple with some strong black tea, five spice and soy sauce.
They're big on the ala cart concept there, it would seem.
The most expensive thing on the menu was a hot pot special and the rice dish specials at $8.
I'll grab some pictures next time I'm there. It was a mostly undecorated, single white room with a tile floor, soda machine in one corner with the syrup and CO2 canisters out in plain view, a basic counter, a table with a hot box containing the tea eggs, some random cakes and things, and a steamer box containing a bunch of different bao. Cheap generic tables and chairs, no silverware, just chopsticks and Chinese soup spoons. Salt, pepper, soy sauce, sriracha and black vinegar.

We've gotten some really fantastic real Chinese food recently, like, a Chinese business student at the University missed hot pot from back home and opened this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/impress-hot-pot-tucson
It is now so popular you have to wait an hour or two to get a seat at peak times. I think it may slow down a tad when it hits 115 outside, though.

Tea egg snipe:

They actually looked almost exactly like this.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 23, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Go to a Santana's or a Roberto's, then you'll understand. Some places it's also called a "stoner burrito" or a "surfer burrito". Make sure you get the grilled green onions.

Here in Arizona they're just called California burritos.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Handy hint, if you're launching the first in what you hope to be a chain that is the "authentic" answer to Chipotle, make sure you spell check your menu first.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Eh, I avoided being a dick about pointing it out, just a post of "Hey guys, I think you may have misspelled 'Monterey' in the 'dip' section on your facebook version of the menu". They responded within two minutes.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

mindphlux posted:

really though, what could even be the authentic answer to chipotle/mcdonalds? shooting yourself in the face with a shotgun?

While I may be unfairly pre-judging the their food based on their menu and news articles reporting their aspirations to be a chain, I've learned to be extremely suspicious of places like this: https://www.facebook.com/BigJuans.
Not as bad a :haw: stupid loving "pun" as "Sir Veza's" down the street, but not so great.

In a place like Tucson, with fantastic Mexican food everywhere (for less money too) I wonder why people bother? At any given location in town I'm no more than a mile from either a real place, or a taco/sonoran hotdog truck.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Got a new Italian restaurant opened up next to my house yesterday, went over to check it out and made friends with the chef/owner. One of those guys that is very proud of his Italian heritage but is just a big shaved head sweaty american guy.
Haven't tried the food yet but he's got a very clean kitchen (second day of operations though, so no idea how long that will stick) and a decent looking neapolitan menu. I helped him get his projector running and once it was up a picture of the Florence duomo came up and he identified it as the Vatican. And further misidentified other things. Like the ponte vecchio, the cinque terra, and some statues and things. From the DVD he put together.
My big :stare: moment occured when he showed me, another customer, and the servers how to make HIS drink. Which was the orange flavored Lance Armstrong energy drink developed for cancer patients! with Stoli orange vodka half heartedly shaken and poured over rocks. In a glass rimmed in Tang.
I'm really not sure of his target demographic for the place, so many aspects go in different directions.
We'll see how this works out. I'm hoping he just sucks at coming up with drinks and can put together some decent pasta.
He did brag about using some fancy rice oil or something to fry in that is "so healthy if you eat a cheese stick fried in it, it actually lowers your cholesterol!" So...

The newest iteration of the hole in the wall pizza place across the street is pretty awesome though. The dude knows his poo poo, been making pizza for 40 years and came out of retirement to open the place. He is in the black within a month of opening, and is cheap as hell with good quality to boot.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Toast posted:

How... how... how do you misidentify Il Duomo as the vatican if you've actually been there? (And honestly even if you haven't and know anything about italy)

Still, maybe he's an idiot that makes good pasta.

More specifically, how do you misidentify it as St Peter's Basilica?

This is his second restaurant, I believe the first went under. He spent nearly a year opening this place, it used to be a lovely Yokohama rice bowl and I'd say he has put at LEAST $100,000-$150,000 into renovating the place.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm sorry Phummus that really sucks :(

I'm going to be in San Antonio Thursday evening. Any GWS people out there?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Toast posted:

How... how... how do you misidentify Il Duomo as the vatican if you've actually been there? (And honestly even if you haven't and know anything about italy)

Still, maybe he's an idiot that makes good pasta.

Welp.
:suicide:

Massively, MASSIVELY oversauced pasta with cheap pizza topping style sausage meat. Also after finishing there were about 3mm of red water covering the bottom of the plate. Proudly proclaimed it to be cooked for 24 hours. Chopped parsley and a nearly solid layer of grated parmesan.
Lackluster salad. I have found the side salad to be an incredibly useful metric of what I can expect from a place. If you put effort into your side salad, you probably make good food. If you throw some chopped iceberg, cherry tomatoes and shaved carrots.
Stale bread.
Olive oil may have been canola oil.

:cool:Hey, do you plan on doing a carbonara?
:chef:People have been asking for that, but I don't know what it is
:cool:Uh.. ok, well you fry up some pancetta with onion and
:chef:So it's just the panna cotta with onion in the sautee pan?
:stare:The pancetta, yeah.
:chef:Cool! Can you come back and teach me how to make it?
:stare:..... suuuure.

I'm conflicted, I don't really want to teach this guy to, you know, cook. But it might be nice to have access to a commercial kitchen for whatever fuckery I want.

Yeah dude, people on Yelp were "slandering" your last restaurant by saying your food is bad. Yelp is definitely the problem here. I can't bring myself to be the first to review on the new place, though, as I've sorta made friends with the guy.

We need :downs:+:chef:

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I can't tell if foietella is genius or horrible. Has anyone tried it? It would be around $35 shipped and that's too much for an impulse buy I'd have to wait to be shipped.
I imagine foie and chocolate could work well together somehow, but I wonder if this is one of the ways.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Welp http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/23/hot-pepper-shoplifter_n_1825206.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

So, uh, the food lab videos they're putting out on serious eats are super uncomfortable, right? Heavily scripted 'quirkiness' and puns, and the woman touching Kenji all the time for no apparent reason is really odd and off putting.
I like serious eats stuff but goddamn. Or am I just being a goon?