Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My wife sold her motorbike to buy our sofa. At the time, I decried her for getting old, but it was the right decision. It's so comfortable!

Also:

sweat poteto posted:

When the hell is ICSA Mustard happening??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think I might have to start a thread on homemade baby food soon.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Macaroni posted:

We all have to go to dino's, but then when we get there insist that he serve us meat. A traditional Thanksgiving, y'know? :) Joking aside, I would totally hang out with dino. (If invited. :ohdear: )

The correct thing to do in that situation is to come prepared. When the meal is served, pull a bloody steak out of your back pocket and slap it onto the plate.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Isn't the correct approach (to dinner at Dino's) to invite other members of your family, whine about how much you love meat and generally be such a dick about it before you go that you get un-invited?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a Sabatier chef's knife and it's pretty good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

JacquelineDempsey posted:

While I'm here: can anyone recommend a good thing to do with these 2lbs of impulse-purchased monkfish in my fridge?

The vanilla saffron fish stew I did for ICSA Vanilla would work well with Monkfish.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All my best kitchen equipment I have was given as gifts. I can't justify spending anything like enough money on decent stuff...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I just can't take a country that eats something called a "chip butty" seriously

I like to follow up my chip butty with a spotted dick.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dino. posted:

always game for a quick nosh

Is Pr0k's mum back in town?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It is quite difficult being poor, though. I agree with other posters that cheap chicken is bad, in a variety of ways, but it's very hard to resist when you're loving broke and want some chicken.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CzarChasm posted:

But I can't think of a solution that wouldn't involve a world wide change in attitudes and production methods that wouldn't be the result of a major catastrophe.

The solution is to treat meat as an occasional treat that is worth paying a bit extra for, rather than the main constituent of every meal. It sucks, but there it is.

And I say that, fully cognisant of the fact that I am a massive hypocrite!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That's why governments secretly want obesity to rise. Fattening people up nicely, so their meat will be marbled and delicious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Forums user "i shoot friendlies" suggests you adopt his approach: Every time you prepare any meat, make sure to do so in such a dangerous way that you are bound to give food poisoning to everyone who eats it. Sufficient repetition will set up an operant conditioning mechanism that will reduce meat consumption by 100%!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Can you get pig veal?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just put the baby to bed and made myself a brandy alexander using the vanilla brandy I made for ICSA. Holy poo poo, vanilla brandy rules. It rules even harder after a really long infusion.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have spent a portion of my Sunday making purées to freeze for when Sam is weaning.

Trip report: Parsnip purée is surprisingly delicious. Plum purée is very hard work and wasn't really worth the effort. But goes very well with gin.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That's pretty much what we're going to be doing, too. He still doesn't seem to be too interested in food yet, but we sit him at the table with us when we eat, so hopefully he'll start showing a bit more interest soon.

Edit: And if he doesn't like the purées, I'm sure I can find a use for them... Parsnip purée with chilli-infused vodka?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 6, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm pretty sure the solution is farming the uninhabited Earths in parallel universes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NosmoKing posted:

Yeah, it seems that whole eugenics and genocide thing kind of has fallen out of favor.

That's only because the people in charge of the world would so obviously be amongst the first to be culled.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Any UK goons who missed it the first time, there's a repeat of my Come Dine With Me appearance tomorrow night: More4, 1845.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This is a silly argument. Much more important than whether or not Wiggles likes to wear clean clothes is his flagrant disregard for the rules of the English language!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

somewhat unique

Your lifestyle can be unique or not, it cannot be somewhat unique. Unique is an absolute.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Toast posted:

"we want to do it just like X so we're unique."

I think that might be simultaneously the best and worst thing I've ever heard.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Happy Hat posted:

What the hell is Raw Denim, and how come that is a thing?

It's like high cotton.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Happy Hat posted:

Not googling that, chances are that it is some sort of weird sexual thing, with used tampons, dipped in methyl alcohol and inserted in the male urethra.

Edit: Probably someone should be shouting something in german while doing this too..

Wow, your mind is a scary place. I was just drawing what I thought was a humourous comparison to raw paleo and high meat. Obviously I failed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Macaroni posted:

My question: I've still got collard greens and mustard greens--anything exciting I can do with them besides "ye olde pot of greenes"?

Enter the mustard ICSA.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Speaking of the mustard ICSA, does anyone have a good source for mustard greens in the UK?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sweat poteto posted:

Lol. Spent this morning searching borough market from one end to the other. No dice.

I found an online source.

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/fresh-kai-choy--mustard-green-leaves--gai-choi-500g-e-3559-p.asp

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What did you do with the remaining 47.5 hours?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sjurygg posted:

My brother once gave me the tip that filling a whole can of powdered cinnamon into the car radiator can fix minor leaks, maybe it's related to that? :shobon:

(I've never tried it because, you know, what the gently caress go and fix your loving car you scrub, but it sounds almost too implausible to be true.)

Egg whites works better.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That is a really cool present.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

But that's because you share a common misconception about the Trojans. Actually, it was the Greeks who were sneaky and sly. The Trojans lived in a fortified city state that was reputedly unconquerable.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

magnetic posted:

fartmagnet

That just screams "class".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dino. posted:

When I heard the Fratellis
punk.

WHAT?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

gluten intolerance causes long term damage to your intestines and can lead to cancer over time.

What? Do you have a peer-reviewed source for this statement? Because I just had a quick look on pubmed and all the studies I could see found no link between coeliac disease (or gluten intolerance) and cancer.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The data for coeliac disease and lymphoma isn't particularly convincing, but the largest study saw a link. A study showing that undiagnosed coeliac's have no increased risk and another that showed that gluten-free diets don't reduce the risk suggest that it's less to do with gluten "intolerance" and more to do with some underlying disorder, don't they?

Maybe Gumbel2Gumbel has another source: I'd be interested to see it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Food allergies intolerances: Literally worse than cancer.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 23, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dane posted:

Nobody lets you skip the line at Disney World just because you get the running shits if you drink milk. Trust me on this.

Bloody Make-A-Wish-Foundation FASCISTS.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

wafflesnsegways posted:

Do we have to challenge every person with some kind of eating requirement to justify themselves before talking about food with them?

If they're spreading misinformation about the medical basis for their fad, then yes. As a cancer biologist, I get very cross when people make unfounded statements about the links between diet and cancer. My life is hard enough without people advocating ignorance and lies.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

Oh, I wasn't advocating a connexion---I was just pointing it out because if you were doing your PubMed search for `cancer' you mightn't be seeing the lymphoma papers, and (I am assuming) they are the basis for the claim Gumbel2Gumbel was repeating.

I know. I was just in data summarising mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Genghis loves all the toys she has now.