Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scott Bakula posted:

GWS is this the thread I say how much I love this subforum and threads like the competition thread with pork tenderloin?

That depends on whether or not you love Pr0k's mum's tender loins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Manuel Calavera posted:

That loving post...:allears:. "leader of a FURRY group trying to talk poo poo?" is so goddamn adorable.

I have this image of you, sitting in a cave, sending videos to secret furry cells around the world, calling for the death of the non-furry infidel. Whilst wearing a tail.

The furpocalypse must end! Global Furhad!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's called being a big girl's blouse. Drink through it man.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Anybody can do it with a bread knife. It takes real skill to do it with a melon baller.

Why a melon baller?
                              /

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's awful. I can't imagine anyone wearing it who wouldn't call everyone "bro".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

Let's work under the assumption that I have half a gelding at my disposal to eat. Let's also work under the assumption that I have never cooked horse before. Anyone have any tips or recipes?

According to Larousse, it's perfect for tartare.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hahahaha! YES!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just made some chili beer mustard and it kicks rear end. I would never have discovered the joys of making my own mustard if it weren't for the mustard ICSA, and by extension GWS.

Thanks GWS!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is "swole" just shorthand for "muscular?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DekeThornton posted:

Is that some American thing? All ovens I have seen ony have the heating elements in the top of the oven exposed.

That's the grill. The heating in electric ovens in the UK usually comes from an element in the back, not the top.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mindphlux posted:

this is awesome. :)

added to my Very-Successful-Wedding-Checklist : * venue that doesn't kick you out after a certain amount of time, with nearby sleeping accommodations.

We got married in a hotel in the Scottish countryside, so not only were the ceremony, breakfast and reception all in the same place, but once the official party had stopped, there was the hotel bar to abuse.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

"And we've all done this"

I can honestly say I have never tried to crack an egg on a worksurface and smeared egg all over the place, instead of cracking on the side of the bowl that was right there.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Preparing carbonara, drinking a glass of cold white wine as it pisses down outside, while the wife bathes the baby and we all listen to the Immaculate Collection. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CuddleChunks posted:

Does anyone have a salsa chicken recipe that isn't quite so spicy?

Onion soup mix should temper some of that dreadful heat.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Very Strange Things posted:

The natural mellowing agents of a Fancy Ketchup will also tame that devil capsaicin's fiery tongue.

I think you mean ranch dressing.

Edit: Horrific ranch snype.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Are you also allergic to flan, flapjack and flax?

One of my friends is allergic to aubergine and avocado. So much so that avocado could kill him.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pretending you have an allergy is a pretty hosed up thing to do, because it means that it increases the number of people, albeit stupid people, who think that all allergies are fake.

It saddens me to say that I have met people who genuinely don't believe in allergies, because they think that everyone who says they have an allergy is just making excuses for not liking shellfish, peanuts, latex or whatever.

Just grow a pair and tell people that you don't want something because you don't like it, don't pretend to be allergic to things.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Holy gently caress. That's genuinely amazing. I am off to find some eggs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Someone should run a book on how long it takes someone in D&D to buy Wiggles a new title and what it's about.

I reckon it'll be eight days, and it'll be about Julian Assange's recipe for Swedish meatballs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you die, can I have your stuff? Including any leftover meat.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What the gently caress is a sammich?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is "sammich" just a stupid slang term for a well-constructed sandwich?

If so, that's retarded.

Edit: Even more so than "EVOO".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Charmmi posted:

Even worse is "sammie"

You are joking. Who the gently caress says "sammie" to mean a sandwich? I don't believe you.

Edit:

Very Strange Things posted:

It actually comes from the German Hamburgensammichessen though, which predates the word "sandwich".

Is that named after the famous Count von Hamburgensammichessen? That apocryphal story about the nobleman who was hungry while gambling: He was too stupid to pronounce words properly, so his servants just ladled nourishing gruel into his drooling maw.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 7, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

gently caress you very much, Quiznos.

Good grief. I'm glad we don't have Quiznos over here.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A butty is a very specific type of sandwich and is not even in the same league as "sammich".

As for "sarnie", I think it sounds stupid, but for some reason it doesn't strike me as quite so stupid sounding as "sammie".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They actually have a chip butty. Butter two slices of bread and put french fries in between. For serious.

Chips, not French fries. Not just a quibble about English vs. American, but because they are different things.

And chip butties are really delicious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Have you ever had a chip butty? They are fantastic.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kenning posted:

I had the the equivalent in Syria – a "sandwish batata" – and no they are not.

edit: Why would you need to wrap a starch in more starch?

Reading this post, I could almost believe that you've never had a hangover.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Filboid Studge posted:

A chip sandwich is only impossible to eat if you do it wrong. Get two slices of bread, line chips along half of each slice, add ketchup and fold. Your chips are going nowhere. Food of (anaemic, sweaty) champions.

WHAT? Chip butties need to have chippy sauce on them.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you ask the manager really nicely, I'm sure he'll smuggle an engagement ring into her Big Mac.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Eat This Glob posted:

I've been married for 11 months to the day. It's not too bad, aside from living in Iowa now. Don't get married.

I'm a week away from being married for four years. And I think marriage is great.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Humboldt squid posted:

It involved using a loving serving spoon instead of my fingers to drop the batter into the oil. I feel like the dumbest person on earth.

The first time I came to that realisation, I felt even dumber.

Because I used a plastic spoon.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make sure you check out the overground and the buses, too. Overground is really cheap compared to the tube, and the buses, whilst slower, allow you see sights and beautiful buildings that you would miss on the tube. As a good rule of thumb, you probably want to be staying at least inside zone 3 of the tube. Further out from the centre than that is a bit far from the action.

Also, I agree with Steakandchips: Edinburgh is by a long way the best thing in Scotland; Glasgow is OK-ish, but Stirling really has nothing going for it.

Oh, and dogs/chavs/tourists are unavoidable.

Edit: And, when you're in London go to the Dali Universe on the South Bank. It's ace.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 20, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you visit Edinburgh, go to Ondine or Le Mouton Noir.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Argh, it's 1am and I'm out of flour. loving Hell. No more pastry for me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you do that, which you should, you must film it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Happy Hat posted:

Ok.. I have a source for whale, what should I do with it?

Sing to it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

I am so hungover right now death is an option.

I was at a wedding on Saturday and still haven't got over it. I am definitely getting old.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My wife chose her own engagement ring, and as far as I remember, it was less than £100. As if I needed further reminder that she was the woman for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What's going on with NICSA? I thought it was supposed to be one dish and a simple theme, to encourage posters from all over the forums to join in with GWS.

The curry ICSA is a great example of something that is simple, but gives full vent to people's creative ability, whereas the current NICSA seems needlessly restrictive, again.