Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I tasted cranberry sauce and was as disgusted as when I tasted sweet potatoes with extra sugar and marshmallows on top. It was freakishly sweet and my tastebuds shut the hell down. I thought I loved cranberry, but apparently only the way we ate it at home: spicy Indian pickle.

Tart AF fruit being Indian pickled is A Thing. Mangoes, gooseberry, limes, citron. Whatever you have that is sour, you pickle it with salt, chilies, spices, and oil. And in the case of the fresh tart green mango, you don’t even bother with oil in the summer, because those green little balls of hate would be mouth puckeringly sour, and are a pleasure unlike any other.

When we came to the USA and my mum tried fresh cranberry, her first instinct was to treat it like the sour mango like we got back at home. I loving loved that pickle. It went on all the things.

Whoever decided to take that beautifully tart thing and dull its shine with a boat ton of sugar is a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

I don’t know if this is available in the US, but it’s a good listen: BBC Radio 4 Food Programme episode on sour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00092wr

Oh fun. Thanks Rattle. :D

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you want to do meal prep ahead of time, you cannot go wrong with mezze. White bean and rosemary dip. Hummus. Baba ghanouj. Tapenade. Marinated olives. Various spiced nuts. Artichoke hearts. An assortment of crackers, breads, or pita. Clusters of grapes. Little cherry tomatoes. On the day of, knock up a pasta dish, and some kind of protein you can chuck in the oven, and call it a night.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE Pubix, and grocery stores in general

When I lived in South Florida, where you have a Publix every half mile or so (give or take), but also Winn Dixie, Family Dollar, Food Town, and the occasional Albertson's, those were /just/ the white people grocers. You also had Sedano's, Varadero, and any number of other Latino chain stores. Then you had the random "Asian", West Indian, East Indian, and other random ethnic grocers. All of them had their strong points and very very weak points. The Sedano's was constantly packed with ethnicity of all shapes and sizes because their selection and prices were cut throat. Yeah they'd massively charge on cereal, but you were not going to find chayote or cabbage cheaper anywhere else, period. And, on the busy days, the cashiers were loving take no prisoners get the gently caress out my way. They'd have you rung up in no time flat, and would give you a death glare if you were faffing about with payment.

The Winn Dixie was /always/ a hot mess. The customer service people didn't give a gently caress. The aisles were forever dirty. The produce was rarely restocked unless you asked someone, and then they'd roll their eyes and go get it. If you've ever seen a grocery store training video, they are full on the example they show you on how NOT to be. That said, their cashiers were lightning quick. If we were in a hurry, you could be in and out in zero time flat, and you're rarely waiting more than a minute or so behind someone.

The other ethnic markets had the universal ethnic market issues: they're summarily hit or miss.

That's /why/ there's such fierce brand loyalty with Publix. The customer service is consistently good. They keep the stores tidy. The parking lots are free of random shopping carts. They'll break larger packs down into what you want if you ask, and they have signs up in the store saying as much. They made an effort to see to it that any customer facing produce is actually good quality. I remember back in the day that the shopping carts had an aisle guide printed on them, so that if you didn't want to search up and down the aisles, you could look down and refer to the list in front of you.

Yah, they're all small little touches, but they add up big time when your option is filthy and gross, or people who talk poo poo about you to their coworkers if they think you don't speak Spanish. gently caress you, Juanita. I've understood Spanish since freaking middle school. Just because my dad sounds like a FOB Indian doesn't mean he doesn't know what the word "pendejo" means. We've lived in Miami long before your tired rear end showed up here.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I realised that we're about to hit Thanksgiving, which means that NoSmo is going to his inlaws' house who can't cook. I for one am looking for his live posting.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

OMG, BA has a Test Kitchen shirt out. It's so cute.

https://shop.bonappetit.com/products/the-test-kitchen-but-not-to-scale-shirt?variant=31065616154685

I love how Gabby's station is the computer and empenadas.

Listen. I love their content and would totally rock the merch, but $30 is a week of groceries. Yikes on a bike.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Scientastic posted:

Hello, me from the nineties.

Get a haircut.

I’ve been to casu’s home town and I can confirm. There are non dive bars where you can go get a pretty hefty drink for like $4. And that’s not happy hour. It’s full rear end peak time on a Friday night. And it’s not in the middle of nowhere either this is downtown. I been to this vegan friendly place that I was able to get a pretty solid dinner for like $12 after tax and tip. Again, not a dive, clean restrooms, friendly staff, and lovely food.

And? People thought the $4 bar was a little pricey.

Also. Suspect Bucket has been sending me photos of their adorable side-eyeing everything dog, and it’s like a highlight of my day. I cannot with how cute this little lady is. She’s too precious.

dino. fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 16, 2019

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like to just roast carrots in butter, a little brown sugar, and ginger.

The Vitamix Man would like a word. He puts buttered carrots on par with mAshED poTAtoEs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0uz6YdTcM&t=443s

I spent the last 15 minutes watching and re-watching this guy say mashed potatoes in that derpy voice.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eat This Glob posted:

i have no interest in being on television, but if I could get an SNL audition, I'd do this guy's schtick verbatim and probably be heralded as the next bill hader. good god. seriously, what's up with the OG vitamix guy?

It was 1950something. So they didn't have budgets to do multiple cameras, editing, or much of anything else. He's not a professional actor by any stretch. He's pretty much going there, broadcasting live, and has to go off the cuff the whole time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what the hells a gil

4 fluid ounces

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Hung out with Suspect Bucket, their significant other, and Doggy Bucket. All three were lovely folk, and so much fun to hang out with. Mr. Bucket makes food from Kerala, which is amongst my favourite ever. It's the neighbouring state to Tamil Nadu, where my people are from, so even if we do have some similarities in general spicing and such, the actual food itself is gonna be vastly different. I learned yesterday that the reason so many Keralites understand Tamil is because a TON of our movies, songs, and other cultural stuff ends up in Kerala, but not the other way around. Their biggest export is their excellent recipes, which Tamilians never get /quite/ right, whereas Tamilians apparently export their media to the surrounding states.

The food was excellent, the wine was great, the company was hella fun, and the dog was a side-eyeing little scamp who knew exactly what faces to pull so that she got a steady stream of treats from the humans. The funny thing is that even though we'd never met in person before, we started chatting almost immediately, and didn't STFU until it was time to go our separate ways.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Chicken tetrazzini relevant video:

https://youtu.be/_RZxbKvD1YQ

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Renee is a rather pretty name. It suits you!

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but Squashy, you seem so much happier. Like, it's a marked change in your posting.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Manuel Calavera posted:

:kimchi: Thanks dino. I really appreciate that. Technically I should say it's Rene, but without the accent is easier to type. Thank you all. <3

Sorry about that. Renè

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Maestro posted:

You could try talking to them, or you could assume they don’t care and forever hold it against them and set yourself up for the same disappointment next event

Or you could sever from people you’ve known for a long time just because of holiday selfishness

Congratulations on not having toxic fuckbags in your life ever, or possibly /being/ the toxic fuckbag in everyone else's life. Because the only reason I can see to say something as colossally stupid as this particular comment is if you are the rear end in a top hat, and everyone else hates you. Making a huge fuss over a loving meal, and making it all about you isn't a spot of holiday selfishness, it's an indication that the person is a narcissitic rear end in a top hat, who will never admit to wrongdoing of any kind, much like Pookah literally said a couple posts above yours. Nobody who's had to sit around such nasty behaviour thinks that they're losing out on anything by severing assholes. Assholes, on the other hand, seem to think their lovely behaviour is excusable, and are shocked and will make a huge fuss when the people around them cut them off.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I had to do a hard reset on rice specifically because so much of my diet was rice that I was getting High cholesterol. So I flat out stopped eating it for a month. Bread? Fine. Pasta? Sure. But no rice. Because I’d only ever eaten noodles or bread or pasta as a snack and not an actual meal, I didn’t compensate with those to make up for the rice. And I also had to cut out potatoes, because they were half my vegetable intake.

Suffice it to say that was a very painful month, and I hated it. But it worked. Now I can have rice and not eat so much of it. The weight dropped enough to where the winter weight cleared off in a couple of months, and the cholesterol showed improvement after 3.

Honestly, I seen a lot of the announcements, and can more or less not worry about anything because you all are cool. Even if we do have little sass fights, the topic goes back to food pretty fast.

dino. fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 3, 2020

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Back when the ex and I got married, we met this lady whose daughter he'd tutored in his dink rear end small town he grew up in. She was this short little Indian lady with the energy of a thousand people. She ran her own daycare, flew across the country to train other people in starting their daycares, and in general loved to travel. Any time she was in town, she'd call me and the ex up, and offer to buy dinner.

It was on one such trip when I said, "Hey, why don't you just come over? I just did a massive grocery run, and I've got plenty of food."

She agreed, and caught a cab uptown to our apartment. Our fourth floor walkup apartment. She was 60 something at the time. She managed it though, and was settled in, when I rolled out the onion samosa and potato bajji. I also had made a pot of piping hot masala chai with a ton of ginger. We started eating and chatting (and drinking the tea), and she got this wistful look on her face. When she was a little girl in Bombay, her aunt would make samosas and masala chai on rainy days, and everyone would sit around and have a nice day in. This too was a rainy day, and we had the windows flung open so that you could smell how lovely it is.

She hadn't been back to India in decades, and it looked like I gave her a little slice of home. Ever since then, whenever we'd go visit her, she was happy to have me cook, or to go out, as my mood dictated (spoiler: I usually wanted to cook). She flew out with her daughter to help us cook for our wedding when equality passed in New York. She bought the wine for the 50 people who showed up. She flew us out to the ex's home town for her daughter's wedding later that year.

She was like an aunt to me, and made it a point to keep in touch, even after the break up. Yesterday, her daughter posted that she died after a pretty nasty bout with heart issues and going into a coma. She'd just gotten back from a trip to India, where she visited her extended family (and presumably consumed many cups of masala chai with hot samosa, while listening to the rain fall outside). I'm going to miss her, and I'm glad we got to know her however briefly. Going to make a pot of masala chai, and potato bajji, and toast to her next journey, whatever that may look like.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

feedmegin posted:

That is a very heartwarming story :3: but also i would like to know more about this

Oh gosh it's been ages since I've made it, but here goes. There's a technique to use leftover roti to make samosa that this lady describes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFMbH7rx2Q&t=140s

It's difficult to describe which is why I linked the video.

Then you combine sliced onion (I do like half moons), poha (the thin type; if you're using the thick type, you have to soak it for a spell), salt, green chilies, roasted crushed cumin seed, roasted crushed coriander seed, and kashmiri red chilie powder. Toss together, stuff your samosa, and deep fry. I use the cheap crappy flour tortillas from the store, because they're mushy enough to practically still be dough, and they stick together nicely. I don't use the large ones, I use the little ones. They come out rather nicely.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Outside shoes in the house is gross.

I just wandered into BYOB for some reason, and dear god those folk are so drat chill. Is everyone just high or something?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suddenly it all makes sense.

@Corat: why are you trusting weebs. Just look at the sugar content to know it’ll be gross like that miracle whip crap.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Made beer

Made pizza with the ale yeast

Whyyyyyyy can I not be there to pet your dog and drink your beer. Everything sucks.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

O poo poo the pizza could have been vegan too if I left the cheese off half. The sauce is fresh tomato and sweet peppers topped with kale. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I wish I put more kale on, it was delicious.

We will totally do an eating thing when we’re allowed to leave the house. Looking forward to it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
New thread is up for your amusement:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921271

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of groceries, has anyone ever used webstarauntstore.com? My roommates figured we might go in on a bulk order of flour since the local stores are cleaned out.

Excellent customer service, and solid stuff. Shipping will ream you, so factor that into the cost.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’d always heard from friends that their flavour profiles are pretty solid, and they leave room to adjust for your level of heat tolerance. And the convenience is a big plus.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE Collards chat. My mum used to make them, and cook the gently caress out of them too, because that's how you do. But she'd also add a bunch of spices, coconut, green chilies, onion, ginger, etc etc etc (like you do). When I grew older, I realised that I liked to save the stems for soup (they are hearty, and hold up to long cooking), and the greens just blanched quickly in boiling water (heat water in kettle, pour over the leaves, let sit like 3 - 5 minutes), and then tossed with a bit of sesame oil, salt, pepper, and toasted sesame seed. Ditto that for kale. I don't care for it when the stems end up in my blanched greens, but when it's just the leaves, they're pretty nice with not a lot of faff.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Raptor1033 posted:

Making my first ever angel food cake. Whoops forgot the vanilla but it's already in the oven! Whatever, that's what the whipped cream and berries are for! :pram:

Your first mistake was making that garbage cake.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey Dino, I went to that yummy Trinidadian place we went to when you visited.

Those vegan potatoes are a marvel, so buttery! Is that just the coconut oil? How you make them taters?

It's specific to Trinidadian cooking. What I've learned over the years is that Indians cook their food /way/ too hot for Trinidadian food to come out right. Trini food is cooked at a significantly lower temperature, and nobody really cares if it takes a long time, because you want to develop the flavour and have everything taste right. So your friends are coming over at 6 PM for dinner? First off, nobody shows up until almost 7:30. Secondly, you probably started cooking at like 4. Not because you're making huge quantities (because you are, but that's beside the point), but because you need to let everything simmer slowly until it's done just so. And then you need time to clean the kitchen, shower, and get changed before everyone come over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNFbkLtg7U

The way I figured it out was to watch my mom's Trinidadian friends when they made their food. You'd start at medium, and then finish frying the spices and junk. Then you drop down the heat to low, and let it park, for a whiiiiile. That recipe I linked above tends to be the roti shop version of potatoes like you'd get outside of Trinidad. It's difficult to source fresh ingredients, so they do their best. If however you want to go SUPER old school, like back on the island, check this lady out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypFTvADdg4

Dhania/Chadon beni = culantro

Pimento = a mild chilie pepper that grows on the island. Way sweeter than the grossness that is green bell pepper. Find the sweetest chilies with mild heat (not zero heat like bell pepper) if you want to substitute.

Hot pepper = scotch bonnet peppers

Geera = cumin. The whole seeds she uses is regular cumin seeds. The ground one she uses is roasted cumin, ground down to powder. Do not substitute cumin powder, as it won't taste right.

Channa = chickpeas. Do not substitute canned for this particular recipe. You'll need to use the smallets chickpeas you can find in the stores. The Indian kabuli chana is smaller than what you'd normally get on the Island, but it's as close as you're going to get.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Oh man, thank you for these YouTube channels! These are fantastic.
I got a craving and made a batch of chana. My apartment smells like Ram’s Roti shop in Ft Lauderdale, and it takes me back. I forgot how much I love Trinidadian food.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Vichyssoise is pretty straightforward. If you can find some nice watermelon, it makes a lovely summer salad. You do watermelon, ripe mango, red onion, avocado, fresh cilantro or dill as your mood takes you, and lime juice and olive oil to round it all out. Cucumber and avocado soup is also delightful. You combine peeled english cucumber, avocado, lots of lime juice, salt and black pepper, coconut milk, a spot of tahini, and plenty of dill. You want to blend the veggies together in the blender first until smooth, and then add in the dill so that it gets chopped up nicely.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dear god.
But yeah if this ends up moving to BnR, lemme know. I already discord with one of the admins and she's cool. Should we need some subforum name or banner shenanigans.

I made an account there. My name is dino on there.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

VictualSquid posted:

I want to make some baked chickpeas and I have dried chickpeas. They are soaking right now.
Should I bake them directly after soaking or should I cook them first?

For the love of god, cook them.

@Rattle: You confused me there, buddy. You soaked the chickpeas, cooked them up, and then froze them?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Yep. A good overnight soak, cook until tender, co and sit in cooking liquor, freeze in said liquor. Defrost and eat. They are a bit dry inside.

I'd try giving a small batch extra cooking time. Our office, back when I used to go in, would order salads from time to time. They'd have all the fixings. At the end of the day, they'd usually have the chickpeas left over, because (1) people don't dump tons of chickpeas on their salad, and (2) the chickpeas were always dry in the middle. It'd usually take me a good half hour to an hour to get them cooked through to my liking.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Thanks for reminding me to pull up Dino’s book on cooking vegan, which I bought to impress a girl I was dating and now I inadvertently eat vegan as often as I don’t and I am linking here-

https://smile.amazon.com/Alternativ...ps%2C136&sr=8-1

I’m not wild about the cover art...it would be a shame if we all bought paperback copies and forced it into another printing...wouldn’t it...

It's already in second printing. Amazon doesn't have any more copies.

https://www.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=139

The publisher does! You get an un-DRM'd version when you get the physical one. Also if you're not in the USA and don't want to wait for it to arrive, Book Depository sells it with free worldwide shipping.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Alternative-Vegan-Dino-Sarma/9781604865080?ref=grid-view&qid=1593967483064&sr=1-1

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
For cook books, people usually get it within the first year it releases. After that, it slows way down, so it doesn't make financial sense for stores to re-stock it unless there's a lot of demand for it. After that initial year and change, Amazon stopped stocking it, but Barnes and Noble still had. Then they ran out as well, and nobody had it in stock except the publisher. At this point, most of the sales are from the e-book.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Honestly, just get two separate Duxtop inductions. I’m usually not a fan of induction, but if you want that sort of power, along with the other features, a single burner induction is the way to go. Just get two, and put away the one not in use.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Gravi- sorry to hear about your mum. Cancer loving sucks.

Also, I hear that high pitched whine, and it makes me hate everything.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
No, Rajesh. 100 lbs is not a bulk order for which you can get a discount. Talk to me when you want 100 20’ containers. I love my people but the cheap Indian thing is really irksome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’ve had onions that I bought in the beginning of October still cheerfully trucking along in my fridge. I keep them in a zip lock bag, in the veg drawer. When selecting onions, gently feel around the stem end. It should feel firm, not soft. They last longer if they’re more firm when you begin with.

Potatoes go in a bigger zip lock. Garlic, I’ll keep in the fridge for a couple of months quite happily. Ginger I wash well and dry as soon as I get home. Then I mince it in the food processor, and measure out 1 TB amounts. I put that on a silpat lined sheet pan. That goes in a freezer for a few hours. When it’s done, I lay it onto a sheet of foil, and roll it up. That then goes into a zip lock and stays in the freezer.

Cilantro and basil, I’ll mince finely in a food processor, with the tender stems included, and freeze in one layer on parchment paper. When it’s done, it goes into a zip lock and stays in the freezer. Chilies I will take the stems off, and freeze whole. I only ever buy the Thai bird chilies, and they are thin enough to slice up when I am ready for them to cook.

For longer term pantry staples, stick with things that you actively eat. Canned corn is lovely, and doesn’t take up precious freezer space. Canned beans are nice in a pinch, but mostly for recipes where you need your beans to be as whole and distinct as possible. For recipes where the bean is a daal, or a purée (like hummus or other dips), it’s best to use the dried bean and cook it up yourself. So for salads and soups where the beans are meant to be distinct, I use the canned/tetra pack beans. Aside from tomato products, beans, and corn, there isn’t really any canned stuff I buy.

TVP is relatively inexpensive, and shelf stable. It’s easy to make into whatever you want it to taste like, because it’s neutral tasting and behaves like a sponge once you rehydrate it.