Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Did it feel...fabulous?
It did! It kept me feeling satiated for hours. I'm still not hungry-hungry, and I had that smoothie thing early in the morning. Here's to masses of fibre and complex carbohydrates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Did you have oats in it? Oats porridge keeps me full for much longer than toast does.
I put in a few strawberries, some blueberries, a knob (heh) of ginger, a handful of oats, a banana, and some orange juice, then gave it a whiz. Then, I added some ice, and crunched that lot down too. It came out like a sorbet, it was so pretty. And it was hella filling, even though it didn't weigh me down.

I'm thankful for you guys for assuaging my guilt with buying frozen food. It's nice to have a treat like that which makes me feel good, and is good for me. And OK, it was a little pricey, but for like 5 days worth of smoothies that comfortably fill up two GIANT mugs for me AND Puppy, I'd say that's worth the money. And my local store carries it, so if I run out, I can just pop over and get more. :)

I'm excited for Summer so that I can buy other fruit, and freeze it on my own. Although the strawberries were extremely delicious, $3/lb seems like a lot of money for me. It's an affordable luxury, but I'd like to maybe see if I can get it cheaper.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Nyc goons, any leads on natural casing for sausages?

Have you tried Zabar's? They're pretty good at taking requests.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you want to make your own mustard, make Clarissa's one from Two Fat Ladies:

http://cookingwiththemasters.com/2010/07/hot-buttered-crab-and-roman-beans-two-fat-ladies/

She does them up with green beans, which seem to be coming into season here, because I see them all over the place on offer.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

I helped toss a deaf mute from a friends bar in the east village...never change, new York.

You really must come over some time for dinner, VM. Your stories alone would be worth spending an hour in the kitchen to cook you a meal.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Charmmi posted:

Can I get in on this party?
You're going to /be/ the party, Charmmi. Since I don't have PMs, maybe you can set it up with VM for when you're in town with Mr. Charmmi. :3

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Aren't you two friends on g+ anyway, I remember hangingout with both of you at once in the past.

Either you or I are getting old. I don't have a clue who VM is. I know who Halal is, I think. But I'm not sure.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh, MP. <3

@NoSmo: That's the sweetest thing anyone's said to me this month. <3 Thank you.

For the record, DnF has a slamming hot bottom. And her ex is adorable.

I'm going to my friends Passover seder. Thankfully, she's running it Sephardic style, meaning that I can use actual spices, beans, rice, etc. I offered to make a Quinoa something or other, and the charoset. To the charoset, I'll be adding dates, pomegranate molasses, cinnamon, cardamom, apples, pears, some brandy, pecans (I like pecans more than walnuts for some reason), possibly some dried apricots, grated ginger, and orange juice. Anyone got any other suggestions on stuff to add to it to bump up the flavour? I considered grating in some nutmeg, and a bit of ground clove, but I'm not entirely sure that I want to take away from the taste of the fresh and dried fruits.

If I can find decent mushrooms, I think I'll do my stuffed mushrooms too. I take the mushroom stems, and chop them in the food processor with garlic, jalapeno peppers, almonds or cashews, and lots of fresh parsley. Then I stuff the mushroom caps, and bake them with a bit of olive oil drizzled on. They tend to get eaten fairly quickly.

Is anyone here doing the Passover thing? I was having a chat to Psychobabble this morning about the whole messy affair, and he was like, "Dude. Your customers are nuts." I've had to refer back to the Kitniyot list more times than I care to admit, and have chunks of the damned thing committed to memory. :gonk:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you want the one from the book, I just took a screen shot:

Click the image for the bigger version. I hope this helps!

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Do you happen to have a recipe for said stuffed mushrooms, or do you just wing it? I'm a vegetarian going to a meaty Iowan Easter dinner, and I would like to bring a delicious thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

Is there a GWS google + hangout? If not, is there any interest in one?
They generally spawn spontaneously on the IRC.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

Where's the IRC?

irc.synirc.net
#foodchat

EDIT: Tater beat me to the thingie. In other news, I went to Steve's home town with him to be there for when he was giving the sermon for his old church. After that one, it finally sunk in why he really wants to go to Seminary.

http://youtu.be/nWMbws8WDPM

PS he got the acceptance four days after we got back.

dino. fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 3, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
PRUNES! How could I forget one of my favourite dried fruits? Thanks, Cuddle.

As for the sickly sweet Kosher wine, we don't have to serve those anymore, as there are some /very/ excellent Kosher wines that are coming out of Spain, Italy, Israel, and California, which taste pretty awesome. They're a touch more pricey than the regular wines, but the flavour is definitely there now. I've yet to find a Cab that I'm loving, but the Rioja (Cardova), the Pinot Noir (Herzog, I belieeeeeve), and the Chard (Wienstock? Or was that Alfasi?) are all quite excellent.

@CE: Thanks! I hoped that other Indians would enjoy it for sort of veering a bit off the beaten path, and trying to incorporate more American ingredients and conveniences to our cooking style.

Because the Sephardic Jews are allowed to use all the spices, their Charoset tends to be full of different spices, all kinds of nuts, all kinds of dried fruit, lots of fresh fruit, and enough wine to make it possible to grind the whole thing down to a paste. The Ashkenazi version tends to be bland as hell, because they can't use spices, as they're all kitniyot apparently.

@TheRattle: It's not that we have an issue with the chametz, per se. Sure, we'll still be serving wheat bread, but it's easy as hell to avoid chametz, because half the food at the restaurant is gluten free already. It's when you're serving Ashkenaz, which is like 90% of New York, you have to avoid kitniyot. >_< Which, frankly, is the most frustrating exercise in vein-popping rage ever. Every year, the rabbis get more assholey about the loving kitniyot, and I've had it up to here and back about it already.

Even whole spices, where you can SEE THAT THERE IS NO loving CHAMETZ are showing up on the list. So apparently, flax and chia seeds are fine, as long as you do a cursory inspection to make sure it's not got chametz-taminated, but now FENUGREEK and CARDAMOM are showing up on the lists. gently caress you, OU. How the crap is a seed that's /bigger/ than flax supposed to be contaminated? ARGH.

A couple of years back, Quinoa was all the rage, because it's not even a goddamned grain. Ashkenaz who keep gluten free (you'd be surprised at the sheer volume of Ashkenazi Jewish people who have Coeliac's disease) were able to happily munch on quinoa for Passover. Now, it's showing up on the OU list.

Fortunately, most of the Ashkenaz who call the restaurant have a sensible approach. As long as it's not blatantly kitniyot, they're not asking too many other questions. So like, as long as there's no legumes or grains, they're cool, and the quinoa issue seems to be fine too. They're not /complaining/ about the foods with the spices in, like the kale with Dijon dressing on it, and a few of 'em are even ordering it, so it's making my head hurt a lot less.

For the week of, we're switching from brown rice syrup to agave syrup for the sugar free macaroons, and we're switching to olive oil (from Canola or sesame) for anything that doesn't /need/ to be cooked in a particular kind of oil to taste right. It's why I'm endlessly grateful that my friends aren't bothering with the kitniyot poo poo. I can make food with actual content in it, and that's pretty awesome.

Mind you, I'm whining /way/ more than I should be, because I can still use any herb, garlic, onions, any vegetable, and any fruit, with no problems. The whole no grains, legumes, peas, or seeds is just making me mildly annoyed, because it's severely limiting what I can offer as specials for folk who are undergoing the Passover thing, because in a vegan restaurant, grains, legumes, and seeds form entire food groups for us. XD

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@Halal: A friend of mine has a love for Marilyn Monroe. She grew up in Iran, until her family moved to NYC when she was in High School. I loaded up a bunch of Marilyn Monroe's songs on my iPhone, and played it for her today, as we cleared out her storage room. She really got a happy warm feeling from it. Thanks for indulging me in my Monroe love. She really is quite divine and fabulous.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Charmmi and Mr. Charmmi are gone back to Norfolk. :( I am le sad.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mediaphage posted:

I am a poor stand-in for the ebullient tour de force that is the Charmmis, but I'm in town tomorrow and the 18th if you want to grab a bite.
Does lunch work? I'm at work from like 2 PM - 9 PM on Tuesday - Thursday. However, I'm always game for a quick nosh and a beer or something. :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Certainly. I'd love to have you and VM come over or meet you bums somewhere downtown, so that I don't have to go rushing out at 1 PM. I wake up at 7 am every day anyway, so Wednesday breakfunch would definitely work. I can make chickpea dosas, and coconut chatni, and a bit of a vegetable something or other. If you want to solidify details, just shoot me an email at altveg@me.com and I'll give you two my mobile phone number, so we can move it to text messages. :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I willllll. This weekend, I'm going to be in Herndon to visit to my brother, his wife, their kids, etc with Puppy. However! After that, we can likely set something up, and I can swing on down. :3

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Got to have Korean food with MP. It was all I'd hoped it'd be. :swoon:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steakandchips posted:

Magnificent! What were some of the things you ate?
I ate more mandoo than is decent (fried, not steamed), and MP got the chap jae (sp?). And they brought out a hojillion little plates of delicious things. Like those bean sprout thingies, and the radish kimchi, and the cabbage kimchi, and some kind of mixed chickpea and kidney bean thingy, and then they brought us this sweet rice water dessert thigny with lots of delicious cinnamon.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Macaroni posted:

Vegan Korean food is awesome. I actually prefer vegan kim chi to the kind with the fish sauce and bits of marine life in it. Did you get to try the fried tofu thing? There's a dish that's basically pan-fried tofu that's then braised with soy sauce, scallions, garlic, and enough chilies to kill an elephant. It's wonderful.

MP wanted to get said tofu thingy, but they were apparently not making it that day. Booo. Fortunate for us, because it would have been /way/ too much food.

RE: Not telling the cashier

My mum frequently told me stories of my grandfather. I knew him until I was four years old, and then we left India. He died when I was like 7. :( Anyway. He worked for the UN, and lived in Jamaica Queens with his family. He'd walk to the grocery store every week.

By the time he'd get to the check out counter, he'd have the entire bill calculated down to the penny. If the cashier was off by even one cent (even if it was in his favour), he'd have her or him recalculate the bill until it was correct. There was one cashier who gave him a dirty look at the end of it (because this was before they had adding machines at the cash registers, apparently), and said, "I would rather have paid that 5 cents from my own purse than do that whole thing again three times. :gonk:"

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Psychobabble posted:

This explains so much. It's genetic!

XD Seeing as how I spent a lot of my early childhood in India with said grandfather, and the rest of my childhood following my mother around (I am and always have been truly my mother's son), I'd say that there's more than genetics at play. XD She's had a lot of influence in how I do things, including teaching me how /not/ to do things, because I've watched her mistakes and learned from them. For example, I've got a violent aversion to hoarding, and tend to cull my apartment fairly mercilessly when I see the clutter getting high.

Just got back from a day trip to Philly with Puppy. Dear gods, that was such an enjoyable trip. I have an unnatural love for that city, which is odd, because Puppy generally has a bitch of a time getting me to leave Manhattan, much less New York itself. We ate way too much food, wandered around a bit, and bought stuff at a fraction of the price I'd pay back home.

That being said, when I saw the NYC skyline on the way to the tunnel, it really made me happy to be home again. Every time I leave the city, I'm reminded why I keep coming back. :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's how I feel when I see the desert and the Sierras after a time away. "Home" is a powerful thing.
It's weird though. Last week, Puppy was ready to jump out of his skin with wanting to leave the city so badly. It's been a rough couple of months, and he wanted out for a bit. But as soon as we cross the tunnel, I see his shoulders droop a bit and his face get all calm and stuff. Home really is rather a powerful thing.

Man, seeing the Sierras must be quite a stunning sight. I know Puppy would love that stuff (he's a big nature lover). Were it not for the Philly trip, he'd likely have wandered over to Ft. Tryon park, and done the Cloisters thing or something. I feel like this was much better spent. :)

Are you originally from Nevada?

EDIT: Just spent the entire day stuffing ourselves on good vegan food. We get home, and I'm hungry again. This is what I get for not eating any rice all day. It's freaking 1:20 AM, and I'm craving a bowl of rice and beans. :mutter, grumble:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear Livejournal,
Spring is finally here in force, and it's time for a mass purging of crap I haven't looked at in too long. Puppy managed a small pile of stuff, so I went through, and culled everything from the kitchen that I haven't touched in forever (I really /don't/ need 4 pasta forks, 8 small bottles of cloves that my mum left behind, or that giant maple dowel that I only used but once or twice as a rolling pin).

Out went DVDs that I own in triplicate (Harry Potter came out on Blu-Ray, in the full series, with all the extras and such, and I bought the UK edition). Also out went video games that Puppy just didn't like (Lego Star Wars), or hasn't played (Tony Hawk; why the gently caress do we even have that?), or hasn't played since he got it (sorry, Kingdom Hearts).

I also added a bunch of books to the pile that I own on my Kindle, or didn't much care for the first time around. I'm also going to pitch a couple of back issues of Vogue that I had lying around for some reason. I haven't read Vogue in forever, and there's no reason to keep any around.

Hopefully, in the coming days, I can manage to get rid of even more, and give it away to people who will enjoy it. There's this thing called the Really Free Market that happens on the first of every month, but I'm equally happy for it to go to the thrift shops, like Housing Works or whatever.

Feels good.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@TheMacaroni: If you're having trouble with dosa, there's a couple of things to try, and see if it helps.

1) Make sure you have enough urad. The traditional recipe calls for about a 1:4 ratio (urad to rice). I personally have found over the years that a little bit more gives me a bit more crispness and stability. I almost go for a 1:2 ratio.

2) Don't soak the urad daal overnight. It just needs 1 hour.

3) Don't grind the urad and the rice together. Grind them separately.

4) Add methi seeds to the soaking /rice/, which needs to soak overnight.

5) Let the dosa batter ferment at a warm temperature, just like if you were making yoghurt. If the outside temperature is too cold, preheat your oven to 350F, wrap your batter bowl (that's been covered, of course) in a warm hoodie (because apparently your batter supports Trayvon too), and let it set up for 3 - 6 hours. Also, if your house is really cold, add 1 TB of cooked rice (to the grinder along with the rice) per cup of batter that you're fermenting. It helps speed things along.

6) Make sure that the batter is thin enough. If you're working with something the consistency of pancake batter, it's too thick. You want more like a crepe batter almost.

7) If you have it, grind in some poha along with your rice. About 1/4 cup or so per 2 cups of batter should be enough. It gives a nice texture.

8) For your first attempts, use nonstick, and spred thinly with your ladle. If your dosa doesn't want to spread:

a) your batter didn't ferment long enough
b) you didn't add enough urad daal

If it's the first problem, you'll know, because bubbles are not forming on top of the cooking dosa when you lay it down on your skillet. If it's the latter, you can resolve it in an hour by soaking urad daal, and grinding it, then adding it to the batter.

Finally, make sure you rub your skillet with a cut onion, and a bit of fat before you fry the first dosa. That is, take about 1/4 tsp of til oil, and rub it onto the hot skillet with the cut side of an onion. THEN lay down your dosa. Between each dosa, re-rub the skillet (but without adding extra fat). There should be a little leftover fat from the previous dosa.

Also, if your heat isn't around medium high (too high, and the top side won't cook, and too low, and the thing won't set up), you'll need to wiggle the temperature as the dosa goes on and off. When first putting down the batter, you want a slightly higher temperature. Once you flip it the first time, you can ease it back a bit.

Or, just make adai, which is supposed to be thick anyway, and isn't so fiddly and finicky. Hope this helps!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I have some kind of horrible head congestion thing, and am miserable and coughing and junk. I hate everything and everyone, and want to crawl into a hole and die. :(

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Halalelujah posted:

As long as you're not re-enacting Pink Flamingos I'd say your chicken sins waver a bit on the lighter side.
I was OK with most of that film, including the chicken loving. The scene barely lasts like a minute. But then they had that singing (literal) rear end in a top hat. That was a bit much.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Sorry to hear, Phummus. Hope it's nothing too serious.

EDIT:

Dear LJ,
Today, I had to be reminded that I'm maid of honour at my girl friend's wedding, and best man at my guy friend's (they're spaced like 3 months apart). The sad thing is, we had this conversation ages ago, and I totally thought both were kidding. And then we had the for reals conversation, where they said they weren't kidding. And yet somehow, in the shuffle, my alzheimer's riddled brain promptly forgot it all. I need to write things down or something. Sheesh.

dino. fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 2, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
OK, so the oral surgeon left the inside of my mouth looking like a herd of angry horses stomped through it in the process of removing that molar whose roots would NOT come out for love or money. Long story short: I cracked a tooth vertically, and wanted it removed. Dentist by my house managed to remove the crown, but the roots snapped off while still in my jaw. Had to go to an oral surgeon, who put me under general, and pounded the poo poo out of my jaw until the roots relented. He got the roots out, after about an hour of going at it. Unfortunately, he also took a bit out of the cheek area directly next to that tooth. We're not talking enormous chunks or whatever, but in that sensitive an area, a few cm feels like acres.

I'm currently on stupid amounts of amoxicillin and pain killers from hell. Every time I take one of the antibiotics, I feel really tired like 30 minutes - 1 hour later, and need to have a bit of a lie down. And this is just the second full day. Wednesday was the surgery, and next Thursday, I'll have run through my 3x daily dose of the antibiotics.

Puppy pointedly reminded me that the sheet from the dentist said I can start eating regular food as of today. It took a supreme force of will not to snap in a nasty manner with, "If the loving sheet could see inside of my pulpy and shredded mouth, it would bloody well let me know to lay low still." Instead, I explained it with a minimum (I hope) of snippy-ness.

Eating bland, soft food is really getting old. It's starting to make me a bitch.

... even more of a bitch.

In better news, I've set the date for Puppy and me to go down to see Charmmi and Mr. Charmmi.

@Phummus: Glad to hear it's "just" an abscess. Hope it clears out soon enough.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@VM: Scotch is what got me through the presurgery. Apparently, I'm not supposed to drink while on the amoxicillin and the pain meds. Something something horrible side effects.

@FGR: That's right, you're down by that area too. We should all get together or something. :O

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@Joborgzorz: Technically I'd get the most $$$ if you bought it direct from PM Press, but I'm not really arsed about it anyway, because my publisher is actually fairly generous with the royalty percentages, so I get a decent cut regardless of where you buy it. If you're not in the USA, Book Depository offers free shipping all over the world.

@Wiggles: Tell me more about this rhubarb pie. The first time I ate the stuff, I was turned off by it, because I found it to be stringy. That'll learn me for eating grocery store pie. :gonk:

@Macaroni: Yes, I still work at that restaurant, but I'd prefer it if y'all would just come over and we cook or something. That way, I can send crispy fried things your way, which I can't do at work, because we don't deep fry anything at work. Goddamned healthy food. Your daughter is adorable, for the record.

I have found that when pan-searing tofus, it works to use the barest minimum of fat possible, else it splatters like mad.

This goes for any goons. If you'd like to hang out or something, come over, and we'll cook, damnit.

@HappyHat: I've got a fair few copies here at my house. If you email me your address and such (altveg@me.com) I can sort something out. :) I don't have PMs, so that's no good. Let me know what works!

@TheRattle: Email me details! We should definitely plan something on a weekend when I'm not working.

@Bert: As mentioned before, I love you. <3

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's likely I hated that pie, because the rhubarbs were cut into like 2" pieces, making it hella stringy. The texture really turned me off. It looks like just slicing them up thin will avoid that problem all together, and make that pleasant sourness come through without the unpleasant stringyness.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Wiggles, you can walk into a True Religion store, and easily drop $300 - $400 on a pair of jeans. 7 Jeans, which can run into the $250 range, are also soft as butter, and fit beautifully. $100 for a pair is now edging into "Oh, that's not so bad" territory. :gonk:

I remember buying my first pair of jeans that I bought on my own (that my mum didn't get for me). I was at American Eagle, and they were having a sale on women's low rise boot cut jeans that fit me like a glove, and cost like $30. I bought two pair, because I hadn't ever had a pair of jeans fit me that well in my life. When they both completely wore out, I cried, because I knew that finding another pair quite like those was going to be drat near impossible.

This was roughly 10 years ago now, and I have yet to find another pair quite that perfectly fit. And now, when I go jeans shopping, if I find a pair that I even /like/ for under $75, I'm doing a little happy dance.

Also, I wash my jeans after wearing them twice or three times, because I'm bound to get /something/ on them at work. If someone were to tell me /not/ to wash my clothes, I'd give them a dirty look, and keep sending them off to the laundromat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So that's why hipsters smell so foul. Huh. Learn something new every day.

@Wiggles: If I don't dust my apartment at least once every couple of days, everything gets disgusting really quickly. I may not live out in the woods, but the city creates plenty of dust, exhaust fumes from cars, etc etc, and all of it seems to wind up in my apartment. You say what you want, but your clothes are going to get pretty foul even in the big city. I'm betting that these folks who wear those raunchy smelly pants don't really care about how disgusting they are.

dino. fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 18, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@The Macaroni: I'm guessing your wife like Gujarati food, what with their sugar in freaking EVERYTHING, up to and including daal? :gonk: I saw in another thread (gravi's, I think) about her love for tomato sauce being loaded with sweet. Ugh.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Macaroni posted:

I was thinking much the same thing, HA.

BTW, when I first noticed your blue star, I saw your name as "Happy Adobo." Given the nature of GWS, that would not be a bad name change at all.

Edit: Although I love your avatar. :3:

Wait. It's NOT Adobo? :checks: What the poo poo, it's really not. I thought he was Pinoy or something. Damnit, lack of reading comprehension, Dino. >:(

@HH When life isn't a nonstop flurry of "What the poo poo happened to my day, I feel like I just woke up five minutes ago", I'll get the book into the post. It's been a hectic week.

Which isn't going to get less so. This weekend, we go to VA to visit my brother, his wife, his 2 kids, my 2nd brother and his son (both flying up from FL) ,and brother's BFFs, who moved from the enormous house across the street to a McMansion about 15 minutes away. Weekend after that is a bridal shower. Weekend after that is Charmmi and Mr. Charmmi times. Then I get to sleep for a bit.

dino. fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 22, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
For the record, I quit smoking a couple years back, but when I've got smokers in the house, I'll let the smokers smoke in the kitchen (very large window, and separated from rest of the apartment), or out a window if so inclined. If it's a party, and there's other nonsmokers around, I'll open up the windows in the bedroom and let 'em use that room.

Walking up four flights of stairs to get to my apartment is bad enough. Having to do so to scratch a nic fix is cruel. It's not like the cigarette smoke is going to magically get into my walls and never leave. It airs out in a few hours tops, and I'm back to my smoke-free apartment. Is the thing about having a smoker's room not done anymore? I remember as a kid that even houses of nonsmokers had a room where guests could go and light up.

Not in our house, of course. As Brahmins, my parents had the moral superiority smugness taught to them from birth, so no alcohol could enter the house, no cigarettes, no nothing fun, etc, but I do recall friends's houses where someone who's got a cigarette need could go light up, and then come back and join everyone when they were done. Puppy's family is like that too. When I was visiting (as a smoker) in the dead of winter, they weren't about to ask my Floridian rear end to go out in the minus eleventythousand temperatures, and offered to let me smoke inside. I compromised, and offered to take it to the basement, rather than light up indoors during the winter when they couldn't air out the house.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Halalelujah posted:

If someone was polite about it, I would probably let them smoke crack in my bathroom just as long as they climb into the tub first.
What's up, tiny apartment buddy. :hf:

There's people who don't smoke, and then there's nonsmokers. That guy smoking over there isn't going to give you galloping AIDS. I promise you. Open the window, it'll be fine.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I turn my back for a few days, and come back to goatse. :(

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Chantix worked for me, somehow, but what really worked was Alan Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. He holds your hand through the process, and gets you through the rough patches. It's a relatively quick read; I managed to clear it within a day. It's a rather slim volume.

The Chantix didn't do all it could do, because (1) I'd already not had cigarettes in a couple of weeks by that point, and (2) it turned me into a shaking, dehydrated mess in the middle of summer, and (3) I'm /horrible/ with remembering to take a pill. If Chantix were BC, I'd be pregnant 10 times over by now. The good thing about Chantix is that it kind of helped facilitate the reading of the book. It was like, "Well, now that the pills are here, it's do or die time. Let's try reading this thing and see if it helps."

Not every thing is for everyone, but I know the book helped me. If you want, I can give you my copy. I don't need it anymore.

Accidental Pregnancy Snype:

dino. fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

Informed wife about purchase of deep fryer. Did it during performance of oral sex, she approved of my guile!

I will now fry the world!

HH I'll drop your book in the post come Tuesday. I'm not sure you got my email, so I'll tell you here. Shipping to the DK is like $13 and some change. Is that OK?