Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks to this thread, and because I didn't feel like cutting open an avocado (:guillotine:), I did PB and kimchi toast. I highly recommend it!

Every post this thread strays further from God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a high end blender you can use flax or chia seeds as a thickener. Don't be afraid of a little soy lecithin or xanthan gun either.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
To make sure your crab gets adequate carotene, supplement their diet with brightly-colored vegetables, like corn and carrots

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I hope your butt is doing better now

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the best consumer grade induction? I really really want the Breville Control Freak but it's like 10x the price.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrianBoitano posted:

People claim they want home-style cooking until it's a dish my dad would make :v:

Your dad made you hogs in hoodies?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Aniodia posted:

Point of note: sweetened condensed milk is definitely not the same as evaporated milk.

For as much as I love baked mac & cheese, "sweet" is not really a flavor I want in it. :qq:

Reminds me of the time I bought macaroni and cheese that turned out to be macaroni and cheese salad, whatever that is. Didn't notice until I heated it up and ate pasta coated in hot Miracle Whip

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I've got a bunch of leftover miso risotto that I've shaped into pucks and am about to dip in panko to fry up into some kind of Japanese arancini and was wondering if anyone had some good dipping sauce ideas.

EFP: No conversions needed that I've ever seen with SE recipes, but if you aren't already saving your veg and chicken scraps in a freezer bag for stock, its time to start doing that now that you have an IP.

Sriracha and kewpie would be good, or tempura sauce (soy sauce, mirin, bonito)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ZentraediElite posted:

It's Instant/Crock pot season... anybody have any go to recipes for weeknights they're fond of? We usually resort to making chili but I'd like to expand our options.

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com has a lot of good ones. I like the chicken gnocchi.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

bloody ghost titty posted:

...how is it made, cowboy?

Imagine bong water but you're burning something that tastes good

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Carillon posted:

So what's the deal with a bunch of recipes that call from bringing the bird to room temp before cooking? Whenever I've seen it declaimed, there's never a reason behind it, just you gotta do this. Wouldn't it take a while for a bird the size of a turkey to come to room temp in a ~68 degree house? Is there any real advantage to having done so in terms of better skin, juicier meat? I've never done so, and I don't know if my family ever has, so I can't directly point to an experience where I've been able to compare.

I haven't tried with a turkey but I'd think the purpose with any thing is to reduce the temp contrast between the heat source and the rest. Results in more even cooking, lower temp and less cook time required.

Think of it as 68 degree sous vide and the fluid is air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't thinking about steak, although I definitely could still be wrong. Searing a steak does want temperature contrast. The benefit of bringing to room temp would be when you want it cooked more evenly, to a certain temp, without overlooking. Otherwise the parts closer to the heat source will burn before the farther away stuff gets to the right temp.