Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Since this thread is about culinary chat I had a cooking related question I was hoping some of you all could help me with.

I want to make some Baked Beans for a gathering this weekend but I do not have a cast iron dutch oven (have everything else) or any other pots that are oven safe (without stupid handles). I wanted to know if I could mimic the low heat of a oven with a slow cooker set to low/high and still get some tasty beans or do I need the oven for the proper taste/texture? Most recipes I have seen for the Baked Beans say 250 deg oven for 4-5 hours and wanted to see if that is doable in a slow cooker.

I am no slouch in the kitchen and have pretty much anything I need to make most dishes besides a drat cast iron dutch oven, going to have to get me one of those know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

dino. posted:

The slow cooker is ideal for baked beans, if you aren't interested in jacking up your gas bill for the month. It'll be fine.

Thanks dino I was going to give it a shot anyways and see how it comes out, the recipe actually calls for 250 degs for 6-8 hours. Would that be the same as low heat on the slow cookers for approx the same amount of time?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Got a odd question I am hoping some of you kitchen wizards might be able to help me out with. My gas stove will ignite randomly when I try to turn it on, sometimes it ignites 5 times in a row and other times I can go a hour turning it on and off trying to get it to catch. I can smell the gas coming out just fine and hear the ignitor clicking but the stove will not catch. I was thinking it might be a faulty ignitor/sparker but before I start taking apart my stove and replacing parts I figure I would ask you guys since most of you spend a ton of time in the kitchen.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rythe posted:

Got a odd question I am hoping some of you kitchen wizards might be able to help me out with. My gas stove will ignite randomly when I try to turn it on, sometimes it ignites 5 times in a row and other times I can go a hour turning it on and off trying to get it to catch. I can smell the gas coming out just fine and hear the ignitor clicking but the stove will not catch. I was thinking it might be a faulty ignitor/sparker but before I start taking apart my stove and replacing parts I figure I would ask you guys since most of you spend a ton of time in the kitchen.

Took my stove apart to get to the igniter and noticed the rod of the igniter was bent away from the ground, all I had to do was bend it back into tolerance and it worked like a champ.

My in-lawns came down and gave me a nice present of some offal, beef tongue, heart, liver and some kidneys which made me super happy but I am not familiar with cooking heart is all. Can anybody give me some hint, tips or yummy recipes on how to make some tasty heart? I am going to try to get my wife to eat this too, she likes tongue and marrow so maybe heart will not be to hard for her to try.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I always heard the marinade the heart and sear it in a super hot pan really fast was thew way to go, I will hit up youtube and check out how to clean it properly and have it for dinner sometime soon. I am thinking a marinade of olive oil, garlic, a herb (maybe thyme or rosemary) and for some reason I am thinking a anchovy or two. I like making a anchovy paste to put on my steaks before I cook them and that might go good with a beef heart. Time to experiment a little bit, on the plus side if I mess this up I can always get another one for cheap, beef heart is super easy to get in my area for really cheap.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I made some egg nog tonight and I tried something different, I whipped the egg whites until they reached soft peaks, added a tbs of sugar and then whipped them until they hit stiff peak stage. I combined it all back into the rest of the drink and the egg nog came out great but there is a foamy head on top of the nog. It almost looks like the egg whites didn't incorporate fully into the drink or is this a normal reaction to all the extra air in the drink?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's interesting, and sounds delicious. I think next time it might be a good idea to whip half of the egg whites to stiff peaks and half to soft peaks to reduce that effect but keep some of the texture. I'm not entirely sure but I think what happened is just like you said, they didn't fully incorporate - probably caused by the stiffer texture and stronger matrix.

How long has it been sitting? The effect may subside after a day or three hundred.

It sat for about 3 hours, long enough to be fully chilled and then it was pretty much devoured. I might have to mess with the recipe a bit and see what happens, I will have to try out the half stiff, half soft peaks approach and see what that does. Even know they didn't fully incorporate, the foam stuff on top was delicious and provided a great texture.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I am looking at doing some sweet potato dishes to prevent people from bringing over the marshmallow laden casseroles like normal, the only idea I have is a mashed sweet potatoes with an adobe spicy/sweet sauce mashed in. Anybody have an idea of a casserole type application I could try with the sweet potatoes?

Rythe fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 24, 2013

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm making sweet potato and apple latkes in honor of "Gobble-tov." I'm going to top them with a marshmallow & sour cream sauce. You could also do a sweet potato kugel.

That looks like a great idea, my friends have never had a kugel before and that might be a nice surprise for them. I bet this would taste pretty good with some pecans or walnuts mixes in for some good crunch and added flavor.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

NosmoKing posted:

Yep, basically rehydrated croutons.

MAYBE a pinch of sage.

Maybe.
Or it will be "too spicy"

I feel your pain, this sounds like 95% of my family, I used some fresh cracked pepper in my mashed potatoes last year and it was too spicy for them. This year is going to be just my friends and booze, no family allowed unless your married to me.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I made some Headcheese last night and want to server it for a dinner tonight for my wife, we are going to have a good wine and bread and I want to pair it with a good cheese. Any suggestions on a cheese that will go good with the rich, fattiness of Headcheese?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I have about 15 lbs of pork loin riblets I want to cook for a BBQ this weekend but I do not have nearly enough grill space to cook these all in a quick enough time frame. I would normally do these over a low temp for a hour and half to make the riblets nice and tender.

Could I precook these in a pressure cooker the day before, let them rest over night in a tasty marinade, pop them on the grill to warm through with a BBQ sauce and still have the meat be nice and tender? If so what would be a decent cook time in the pressure cooker? I was just going to wing it and trial and error the pressure cooker to see if they came out fairly tender.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can I treat a deboned pork shoulder like a pork loin? I used the shoulder with the bone in it for pulled pork and I want to use this bigger chunk of meat like a traditional roast.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What internal temp am I looking for with this cut off meat? I'm thinking at 300 degrees, probably 30 mins a pound sounds roughly accurate, mainly for timing my dinner sides?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

It's about 4lbs 4 oz so i expect about 4 hr cook time to try and hit 180ish deg internal temperature and I did mean cooking at 300 degrees. I figure I'll make the spice paste tonight, marinate a few days and toss it in Saturday afternoon to see what happens. I have cooked just about every form of meat expert this style pork in the oven, hopefully it will turn out tasty.

Would hitting a internal off 180 and then setting the oven lower to hold the pork temperature be a decent idea? In the ideaof maintaining a higher internal temperature for longer make for tender pork?

Rythe fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 19, 2019

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

No Wave posted:

Tbh it's a very forgiving cut, you'll be fine just throwing it in from the fridge at 300 for four hours. It'll take a long time to actually hit 180 and it'll be nearly done by the time it reaches it.

What I do like doing is cooking it at 300 until it's done, taking it out while you bring the oven to 425, then giving it a final sear (15 minutes or so) before serving. Kenji calls it the "reverse sear" and it can get some nice outside on the pork.

Thanks for the follow up advice and I appreciate all the great information from everybody, excited to cook a big ole slab of meat.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The commissary was selling leg of lamb for $1.99 a pound and I love lamb and bought a few. Never cooked it before though any suggestions?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

I'll usually do quarter cup of honey, tbsp or two of mustard, bunch of fresh rosemary, bit of black pepper, bit of lemon zest, 3-4 minced garlic, and some salt, then marinate the leg in that before roasting on a rack for 20 minutes at 450F before reudcing the heat to 350F until its done.

What's the typical minutes per pound? I'm going to use a meat thermometer to make sure it's perfect but an approximation of time helps with planning sides.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

As you get more familiar with cooking pizza you can use a grill if you have one. This get seriously hot and make for a great pizza oven.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

excellent bird guy posted:

Does anybody else open up a canned drink and take 4 or 5 sips, set it down then forget about it? Because that is totally what I do every time :cheerdoge:

This but with tea.....

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Peanut butter on a burger is pretty common in the mid west and it's called a Goober Burger in alot of places I have seen.

It's delicious and I'll do that at home now and then when I grill burgers.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I like to let my chicken sit in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered with a nice dry brine to help dry the skin, promote browning and get some nice flavors deep into the meat. As well as starting in a 450 deg oven for 15-20 mins before dropping the temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I want to do a Rosemary and Orange dry brine on my turkey this year. Should I be using fresh spices or dried? Is the application of fresh over dried different?