Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
That really sucks, Grav. I know what you're going through, and you have my sympathies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Croatoan posted:

She also keeps a jar of it. You know, better to be prepared?

...what for?

Anyway, those cookies may or may not have a little bit of menstrual blood, but blood bakes much darker than that. She admitted that they're mainly food coloring.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chicken-fried turkey and stuffing waffles, maybe? Serve with potato and collard mash.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

But my lease agreement says no pot smoking :saddowns:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Those molds are fantastic. However, I'm fairly sure the two in the upper left are in fact brioche molds, for the traditional shape:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

Nope. I thought that at first, too, but the drafting angles on the castings are made for molding stuff onto the outside, not the inside. Plus, they have a threaded boss on the inside where you screw the iron onto the handle.

Interesting. Could be really great for making e.g. shortbread 'cups' for desserts. A shame you only have one!

Anyway those rosette molds are really awesome - do you plan on making some for Christmas?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah you can get a butter dish or, my preferred method, a butter bell for less than $5. Cheap enough that even I own one!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But that doesn't help when someone uses the last of the butter and doesn't put more out to come to room temp.

Don't you have a sous vide?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Rythe posted:

I made some egg nog tonight and I tried something different, I whipped the egg whites until they reached soft peaks, added a tbs of sugar and then whipped them until they hit stiff peak stage. I combined it all back into the rest of the drink and the egg nog came out great but there is a foamy head on top of the nog. It almost looks like the egg whites didn't incorporate fully into the drink or is this a normal reaction to all the extra air in the drink?

That's interesting, and sounds delicious. I think next time it might be a good idea to whip half of the egg whites to stiff peaks and half to soft peaks to reduce that effect but keep some of the texture. I'm not entirely sure but I think what happened is just like you said, they didn't fully incorporate - probably caused by the stiffer texture and stronger matrix.

How long has it been sitting? The effect may subside after a day or three hundred.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

That is the best cooking video I've ever seen. I really enjoy the part where he says that he should use a sharper knife but then doesn't.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

So I just found out that seasons 9-14 of Good Eats are on Amazon Prime for free streaming. Time to marathon!

By the way, Happy Hat, you are an awesome person.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Wroughtirony posted:

I taught a cooking class once.

The women in the class were so freaked out by the fact that I brought in two whole RAW chickens that they could not pay attention to how easy it was to roast one whole. (the other I used to demonstrate how to break down a chicken- that was apparently too gross for words.)

The whole point of the class was "easy foods to impress company" My other demo was shortbread. Nobody wanted to try it with the lemon curd I brought because "curd" sounded gross. It was even store-bought.

They did, however, devour that roasted chicken like starved piranhas.

How do these people think cooking is done? You don't buy a whole rotisserie chicken and say it's homemade.

Have they never cooked a bird before? Or meat in general? :psyduck:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Coming from anybody else, this would be funny. Coming from you, it's loving hilarious.

Somebody posted a link to a cool fountain pen website in IRC quite a while ago and it had all kinds of cool demonstration videos set to relaxing music. I'm trying to find that website again (and no, it's not penisland) but without much luck.

Anybody know what the gently caress I'm talking about?

Goulet Pens maybe? I think Brian's videos have relaxing music in them. There are a lot out there though.

dino. posted:

Two words: Sandra Lee. :gonk:

Seriously. I have relatives/inlaws who are squicked out by bones, skin, or innards. So everything has to be (HAS TO BE) boneless skinless tasteless (because we're also afraid of fat, and spices while we're here, so everything must be steamed). At that point, just eat some loving tofu and save the rest of us your bitching about "I'm not sticking my hand in THERE" (re: the giblets package in the turkey).

Why even bother trying to cook if you won't do anything remotely hands-on? I mean chopping veggies is fine but don't volunteer to cook a meat if you are that grossed out. This is more specifically regarding those stupid ladies at Wrought's class, not your relatives - if they're fine eating BSCBs all the time, more power to them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

She looks so sad and dead. I feel bad for her. She doesn't seem to have any passion whatsoever.

That could be the years of functional alcoholism, I guess.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's not that. I want to say gravity linked it originally. It had a video demonstrating how to fill a fountain pen with a piston filling mechanism set to piano music and might have been a Japanese company, although the website was mostly in English.

It may not have been this video, but I think you would like this company's uploaded videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToYjDttVR3A

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

That ham looks amazing. Hoard it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Woohoo! I got a pressure cooker! To celebrate, I caramelized a soup. Specifically, the Moosewood groundnut stew.

I made this two days ago with the same ingredients and technique. Last time, it was really tasty. This time, it's literally the best soup I have ever eaten.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Amykinz posted:

I made cinnamon rolls out of challah dough last night and let them sit in the fridge, only had to let them warm up a bit and toss them in the oven for the best drat cinnamon rolls I've ever had. Worked out great for a late Christmas brunch with the in-laws. My side of the family did Mexican food for dinner, wasn't too bad but I would have appreciated more flavor.

Man, that sounds fantastic. I've only done cinnamon rolls a few times, and they weren't anything special. I'll try it with challah.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Amykinz posted:

I used the recipe from The Breadmaker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart and Ron Manville, which is a really fabulous but slightly more involved challah recipe. You mix it up and knead it, let it rise once and knock it back down, let it rise again, form it, and then proof it and bake it. I did both rises and just patted it into a rectangle, brushed with melted butter and added cinnamon sugar. Baked the next morning and did a light cream cheese icing and they were perfect.

I've done the BBA challah before, just never thought to use it in cinnamon rolls (to be honest, I'm not a huge dessert person). I will make some for new years' and bring them over to my sister - she'll flip, she loves cinnamon rolls!

What do you think of using creme anglaise for the icing? Think it'll be too overpowering with the rolls already being so eggy and sweet?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

contrapants posted:

I saw Guy Fieri on a commercial a few days ago. My first thought was, "That's a really good Guy Fieri impression," but the punchline never came. It took me a minute to realize it was actually him.

I officially can't tell Guy Fieri from Guy Fieri parodies anymore.

I don't think Guy Fieddy can tell himself from a parody, either. It's not just you.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

It's also entirely possible you were watching SNL and the punch line never came.

:rimshot:

content: HH, you are going through an amazing time in your life and doing some great things. The stories you tell are really touching. Would you consider making a thread about your experiences abroad? I'm sure other people would love to hear about them, and having everything consolidated in megathreads makes it a bit impenetrable.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chemmy posted:

It's a tax thing here. They have to charge for the bag per the city law.

Yeah, same here. Only where I live there are two cities that are more or less the same city, but one side doesn't charge for bags. So every day I get people saying HO HO HO I GUESS WE DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE EH loving douchebags

This isn't a new law either, why wouldn't people just bring reusable bags?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Avocado on burgs is good. Way better than mayo on burgs.
Depends on what you're burgin' on, but yes, generally.

Sjurygg posted:

If the avocado I just opened is perfect I'll forgo using it for salad or whatever and instead I'll fill the cavity half-full with my best Japanese soy and a dab of wasabi and eat as is with a teapoon. To the cook go the spoils.
I like to sprinkle mine with lemon juice and salt.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm pretty much in love with AllNigerianRecipes. The food looks delicious, but I wish the host would put a bit more personality into the videos...I feel like she could be a Youtube sensation.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Paradox Personified posted:

Confit all the mooozzarrrrel.

Shut up, Giada. You aren't convincing anyone of your stupid fake Italian accent.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

PopeCrunch posted:

Has curiosity led you to construct a canned pasta sandwich yet?

I feel like I can only cleanse my soul of that transgression by passing its taint to another.

I feel like that would only work in flatbread form, like a filled pita or a burrito.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Re coconut rice above, I did that risotto style with some cardamom and a pinch of five spice. Holy poo poo

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

EVG posted:

I got called out on saying this before, but I'll say it again. Ghirardelli boxed brownie mix makes the most delicious brownies. And I've made brownies from scratch using other recipes, none of them are ever as good.

I agreed with you 100% until I decided to start buying good cocoa (I use it rarely enough it's little added expense) and made this recipe. If the description sounds good, give it a try.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

EVG posted:

What cocoa do you buy? We always use Penzey's Dutch process cocoa. It may be that I just had bad scratch recipes. :) It took me a long time to realize that ATK, while informative and entertaining, is not always going tone perfect (despite them pretty much claiming that).

Pernigotti or Droste have both treated me well. I've had goods baked with Valrhona and it may have been the recipe, but they weren't great.

e: listen to CdC, lard is the business.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 28, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Who wants a single tortilla, anyway? Or you can just combine four ingredients and use an electric tortilla press, which exists already.

The Rotimatic is far more exciting, IMO.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

contrapants posted:

Same, but for tofu. I seem to break people's brains when I buy tofu and meat in the same trip to the grocery store. I don't know why I'd have to be vegetarian to eat tofu.

For some reason, people think tofu is a meat replacement, and only eaten by vegetarians because they're craving meat. People think tofu is somehow similar to meat in any way other than also being full of protein.

I don't get it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

FishBulb posted:

Because companies market tofu dogs and mostly tofu veggie burgers and poo poo. It seems like an obvious mistake to make if you are uninformed about tofu and vegetarianism

I see, that makes sense. I guess because I grew up eating tofu as, well, tofu, I think of it as its own food first.

TVP is better as a meat replacement, texture wise, but the name creeps people out.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I would consider serving socca with that pate. It's a French chickpea crepe, scented with rosemary. Very tasty, and it pairs with almost everything.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Onion haters and tomato haters are the only picky eaters I really can't understand. Everything else, sure, it makes sense or at least I can deal with it...but I couldn't cook without onions or tomatoes. I don't understand how you can.

My roommate is an onion hater. He mainly eats hot dogs, pbj sandwiches, grilled cheese, and other childlike food.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Very Strange Things posted:

For the last year or so I get terrible heartburn every time I eat onions or tomatoes; I still cook with them and eat onions pretty much every single meal.

Actually, two days ago I put some canned tomatoes and onions in the crock pot in the morning for to make chicken parm with in the evening. That did not give me heartburn so I guess I just need to cook them for 8 hours?
Should I look into an OTC or prescription heartburn dealie or what? I can't live like this.

ulmont posted:

Tomato allergy (or insensitivity; I can't keep this straight) checking in. Tomatoes lead reliably to gastrointestinal distress, so gently caress that.

It sucks, but there are quite a lot of dishes without tomato. What I miss most is standard pizza (pesto is good but not the same).

No judgement if you can't eat any food for medical reasons! That's one thing, and not something you can help. But straight up just not liking tomatoes, peppers, onions, or so on? That's what I don't get.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Nasgate posted:

What if they just don't like it one way? I loving hate sliced tomatoes, but they're fine cooked or if need be raw, as grape/cherry. Just no sliced or diced tomato uncooked. I also get nails on chalkboard sensations when I eat crunchy toast.

Bruschetta is my worst nightmare in food form.

That's fine too. I personally don't care for tomato wedges used in salads, and I don't think that makes me some bizarre monster. On the other hand, if you refused to eat anything with a tomato in it, I'd probably get out my pitchfork and torch.

therattle posted:

What's so hard for people to accept that some people just don't like certain foods?

__________:spergin:
:goonsay:

e: if it's not obvious I was mocking me here, not you - you have a good point and I don't have a good answer

Mariposa posted:

I don't like bell peppers. They don't disgust me or anything, but I don't enjoy them, and they completely overpower everything else for me in certain dishes (e.g. fajitas, or if they appear on pizza). I substitute anaheim chilis for them and it works out okay.

The only other chili I really don't like is the serrano, and for similar taste profile reasons. I don't have the vocabulary to describe this, but to give it a shot: both serranos and bell peppers have an overwhelming "vegetable" quality that comes to mind before any other pleasant taste-words like "fruity" or "spicy".

What about bell peppers in, for instance, a ratatouille, or used as part of a lasagne?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 22, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mariposa posted:

The more thoroughly they're cooked, the less they bother me, but that's mostly a function of them losing flavor and some of that "crisp" vegetable quality that I find offputting. For the record, I have never seen them in lasagna, unless maybe they were hidden in some kind of mirepoix, by which point they have been reduced to mush and rendered harmless.

I often use them in a mirepoix to add a subtle sweetness and fresh quality to the whole dish. Sometimes when I make lasagna, baked ziti, or other baked tomato casseroles, I will add bell peppers sliced thin and sweated with garlic, just to take out the snap. A lot of the vegetal flavor goes into the sauce and adds a nice freshness to the whole thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

So ciabatta's out as a sandwich. What about naan, where you brush it with ghee after baking it but before serving it? Is that a sandwich?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

ahaha, "is a taco a homogeneous mixture"

Only if you make it right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Charmmi posted:

That was the perfect documentary to play in the background as I make traditional cornish pasties for a road trip tomorrow. I mostly followed the recipe approved by the Cornish Pasty Association. My crimping is rubbish of course but only minimal leakage happened so I am happy with that.

They look possibly edible!

Pretty sure I'm going to make exactly this. Thank you!