Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That reminds me, my local train station has a small museum, and I can see from outside that they've got a couple of old menus from dining cars. Next time the museum is open, I'll go snap some photos.

Edit: One of the few things I cherish about no longer being a mod: I don't have to click on horrible links to see if anyone needs a ban. Thanks for the cleansing, mp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
dino--I feel for you. After moving to my current address, the folks in this forum are my only friends. :(

SubG posted:

You know those plastic knife edge guard things? Anyone know a source for 'em longer than 12"?
Sent an email to my Chicago knife place to see if they knew. They only list up to 10" on their website, but they know everything, so I expect a helpful reply.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Hey dino:

1) Do you make more money from your book if I buy from Amazon or from the publisher?

2) Do you have a trustworthy recipe for chapati? Another one of those staples I really should've learned from my folks but didn't.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

SubG posted:

You know those plastic knife edge guard things? Anyone know a source for 'em longer than 12"?
My knife store said they have a magnetic thing that's 12.5". https://www.nwcutlery.com

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Broccoli is wonderful and requires no apologies. Unless it's overcooked and brown, then it only requires a funeral.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

mindphlux posted:

are you even kidding? this is pretty much the only way I cook broccoli - tossed with salt pepper + olive oil, and roasted in the oven at 425. toss a couple times until browned and a little crispy.

it's amazing.
I'm talking broccoli boiled for 45 minutes until it's brown and saggy. Not that I'm a fan of oven roasted broccoli, but it's better than the zombie broccoli my mother in law cooks.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

It takes 20 minutes at a minimum to make a not gross roux thickened sauce.
Wait, what? My quick n dirty mac n cheese (bechamel plus cheese plus pasta) sauce cooks in the same amount of time that the pasta does. It may not be as silky as the roux sauce in a 3-hour beef stew, but it'll do in a hurry.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Only $24? :stare:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Sorry you don't know what flour tastes like I guess. Next time you make a roux-thickened sauce, pull some of it off after 10 minutes and the rest after 20-30 and compare them.
I'll give this a shot because I'm curious, but I'm not buying it. Possibility: as a personal preference I tend to take my roux a couple shades past blonde, even for white sauce. Maybe that's cooking the flour sufficiently that I don't have to simmer at as long.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Tahini? No way dude, you need crushed sesame seeds for goma-ae. Your version is completely inauthentic and bogus. (Gonna go try it now, that would kick the hell out of sitting around like an idiot with my mini mortar and pestle.)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
How many people you cooking for, Phummus? Only times I regret not having colossal pots are the 2-3 times a year we have big family gatherings. But then I get over my regret by making two batches in smaller pots a couple days in advance.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That's like the perfect setup for a Rube Goldberg machine. Attach a long string to the pin, then tape the other end of the string to a piece of bread in a toaster. If you can just figure out how to start the toaster at a specific time, it can pull the string and trigger the fire suppression system while you're not around.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Happy Hat posted:

Also - is Rage a good game, because I just bought it, and it is downloading, but my wife wants to have sex tonight, and I am wondering if I should leave her hanging by finishing really fast, and then go play Rage...

Internets: I need your advice!
You can't have sex and play games at the same time?

Edit: Sexy game snype mildly :nws: http://imgur.com/nnbh9 :nws:

Nobody posts snipes anymore. :(

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Japanese hard candy is the best in the world. Their other treats...yeah, pretty much what you said about the ancient arts of the East*. At least the Japanese sweets like dango look pretty. Chinese Moon Cakes look like they taste.

* Recognizing that Southeast Asia has some awe inspiring desserts.

Edit snipe: Including this fabulous Thai custard.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 27, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
My mom used to love the McLobstah rolls. Enough that she'd buy them, scoop out the filling, and freeze it for posterity.

Her posterity was rather horrified.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I've heard of carrot cake with "carrots" made out of corn syrup and food coloring, like the blueberries you mentioned.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CzarChasm posted:

^^^^^^ Mangosteen?
No, langoustine. A shrimpy thing.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

At grocery stores, most soy sauce isn't. And most of the ice cream is "frozen dairy dessert."
Kikkoman is made from soybeans, and it's pretty available in grocery stores.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's a lot on the shelf that's not Kikkoman, though.
So true. I remember when my college switched from providing Kikkoman to La Choy. There were nearly riots.

Charmmi posted:

The ingredient list
You read Japanese too? Killer.

I was gonna offer to translate more when I get home. I can get away with forum posting at work, but not freelance translation. :)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CzarChasm posted:

Gotta say, I'm a big fan of "Hare Pie"
97. To make a HARE-PIE another Way.

Take the flesh of a hare after it is skined, and string it: take a pound of beef-suet or marrow shred small, with sweet-marjoram, parsley and shalots, take the hare, cut it in pieces, season it with mace, pepper, salt and nutmeg, then bake it either in cold or hot paste, and when it is baked, open it and put to it some melted butter.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Skimmed last 200 posts--saw lolbertarian chat and circumcision chat. I miss anything else?

Also, I cooked a huge loving Indian dinner party this weekend and half my family didn't show up. It's ok, the cool half did show up and we had a balla time.

Tandoori chicken
Channa Masala
Cabbage masala
Lemon + peanut rice pilau
Samosas
Onion Pakora
Pistachio ice cream
Banana/vanilla bean ice cream
Spice cake with vanilla cardamom frosting

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used to go through a shitload of paper towels whenever I cooked, so I now I just pull 2 or 3 side towels out when I start cooking and toss them in the laundry as they get contaminated.
Requoting for power. The older and more beat up the kitchen towels get, the softer and stronger they are. A couple of mine are over a decade old.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Happy Hat posted:

Need to try that - good replacement for sawdust (as I can't really get any of that).

Also...

Just got a new fireplace

I should have replaced the old piece of crap years ago!
Is that--a space heater with a picture of a fireplace?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

GrAviTy84 posted:

fixed it for you
Shut up, my favorite andouille sausage brand is made with chicken. I like being able to eat a couple of links at once without my heart thudding to a dead stop as it does with the pork stuff.

But generally, yeah, chicken sausages are sadface.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Steve Yun posted:

Is it Aidell's? Because their chicken sausages actually are nice and greasy and taste close enough to pork.

I bought a bunch of Trader Joe's chicken sausages thinking it would be the same, but after I cook with them there's less oil in my pan than when I started :smith:
I actually like both Aidells and Amy's. The Amy's ones are lean, but they're super spicy and I can add a whole package of them to a bath of jambalaya without making it inedible.

Edit: Jambalaya snype

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Hey CzarChasm I posted in the general thread about your Evanston/Skokie food question.

I miss that area so much, culinarily and otherwise. I wanted to raise my kid in Skokie. :(

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

therattle posted:

She's amazing! Thanks.

Here is a special picture for GWS: the littlest goon with spoon

Squee! A good goon with spoon.

I'm so glad we got on to baby pictures, grammar discussion, and Marilyn Monroe. Things were looking kinda grody here ITT for a bit.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
(US) Boy Scouts hate black folks and Jews? Hadn't heard about that.

I was a very unhappy Boy Scout and I wouldn't wish it on my kids. Girl Scouts sounds a lot more fun to me: you get to cook and learn finance!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well as you may know Macaroni, the us boy scouts have more recently been taken over by the mormons, so I don't know if that makes them more or less progressive. I was just going off their devoutly christian leaning, and the fact that at the two troops I checked out when I was kid, I heard scout leaders saying racist things. I never joined because of that.
Ah. Boy scouts are definitely anti-gay, but they're inclusive of other races, and definitely inclusive of other religions when they're not a church-sponsored troop. I actually got the Hindu religion badge when I was a Cub scout, or something like it.

But yeah, they've definitely been co-opted by the LDS church in the West. Which is a pity. I like Mr. Wiggles' experience and it's what I was hoping to get from Boy Scouts. (Result was much different. Edit: not in a religious way. I had a really awesome Cub scout troop leader who was like what Wiggles described--then he had a tragic accident, and the guy who took over was a huge douchebag who thought the troop should be a kind of junior ROTC.)

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 19, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Is your family cool with you and your husband, dino? My Jewish family cut me off for marrying a non-Jew. Couldn't imagine if I'd had to come out to them. :(

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Safety Engineer posted:

The scouting program in Utah is...well it's nothing like the one I did with my dad after we first moved back to the states. Tried it out with my son a year ago, I was kind of excited for him to have the fun I did when I was kid.

We both decided not to go back after the first meeting, it was boring as all hell and was basically endless prayer sessions followed by a discussion on how you really should get your Eagle if you plan on doing a mission. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic in the slightest bit either.
My mom spent years trying to find me a non-Mormon troop to join. Once she finally found one and was satisfied with it, I joined up and had an awesome time...until my scoutmaster got hurt in an accident. :(

Even though I'm still Mormon at the moment, damned if any of my male children will participate in the Church scouting program. We'll go camping on our own, thanks.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Heh, that's like my Indian family with my wife. They all like her more than they like me. [edit]

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 20, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

therattle posted:

Is anyone here surprised? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

How disappointing to learn that Ben Stein is a nut job.
You missed the chance to point out my doofus typo. And totally agreed with you on Ben Stein.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Dane posted:

To me, that sounds like a lot of tahin (and no cumin?). I guess hummus has about as many variants as chili, though.
Cumin in hummus drives me crazy. Muffles the pure taste of the lemon, tahina, and chickpeas.

In other news, I love my job and my coworkers. Yesterday a female coworker was telling me about a shirt she bought at a thrift store. The shirt says, "Proud Member of the Itty Bitty Titty Committee." She is, uh, not actually a member of that committee. :)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Both mediaphage and KWC are correct: oil as a garnish rather than a major ingredient, and roasted garlic > raw garlic in hummus.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Vegetable Melange posted:

I'm strangly hungry and aroused right now.
What else is new?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

I like turtles posted:

I am so loving excited right now :dance: because this place apparently just opened a little ways away from where I work. It is supposed to be fantastic. http://chinapastahouse.com/China_Pasta_House/menu.html

There is a decent chance I will bring home like $80 worth of buns, dumplings and noodles and not be able to eat it all in one sitting and slip into a good-Chinese-food induced coma surrounded by cooling steamed buns.
Interesting. I wonder why 花卷 (Hanamaki) is listed with a Japanese name.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Back when I did my ICSA, I wanted to do mustard. But mustard makes my wife nauseous, and she was highly displeased. Since I am whipped, I knuckled under and did oats.

I thought about doing "Battle: Curry" too, but I couldn't come up with a good enough definition of "curry." Everything I thought of was either so narrow that it excluded everything but Indian food, or so broad it included things like chili.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That lentil muck is even better if you take Greek/strained yogurt, add some salt and fresh garlic, then top the muck with that yogurt.

BTW, vegetarian uses for mustard:

1) pretzels (the thick baked kind, not the crunchy kind in the potato chip section)

2) tofu steak sandwiches (fry tofu slices to golden brown; put on a sub roll with fried onions, mushrooms, cheese, and mustard/ketchup)

3) the best vinaigrette!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
BTW, who is in charge of the Cook or Die threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Durr, you did mention that. My bad.