Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For me, that would be durian and a fish based pho that I tried. Durian is like eating farts, and I swear anyone who claims to like it is just waving their food dick around to impress others. Food should not taste like garbage.

Durian is creamy and doesn't actually taste bad it just smells bad, so I think it's more like eating pudding while someone is farting in your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My roommate set fire to some bacon in our toaster oven and ended up using the fire extinguisher on it. He wiped it down and says its clean. I don't smell any fumes, but should we toss it anyways?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lodge 6qt is available at Ralph's for $40

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, it is kinda nice to be able to sear beef in a dutch oven and then make beef stew in the same vessel. You can also do it separately with a skillet, yes, but a little bit of the fond gets left behind that way.

But yes in general a aluminum/steel pot will work the same as an enameled dutch oven in most functions. When Cook's Illustrated reviewed dutch ovens, the All-Clad steel stockpot tied with the Le Creuset for first place.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Think of her as a dating sim

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

What is a dating sim?

Probably NWS

http://cdn.software112.com/Games-and-Entertainment/Simulation/Screenshots/49666-nude-school-erotic-dating-sim.jpg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I use Staub which has a glass surface, never had a problem with chipping from too much heat, as I have with le creuset on multiple occations - they retain heat beautifully, they do not ruin the taste of the food, they are durable and good in use too..

Wait, what's this about Staub and glass? I got a Staub, how's the enamel different?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay cool, I kinda regretted getting one at first because the black made it hard to see how browned my meats got, but that's pretty cool

edit: also, the outside bottom got slightly chipped from wear and tear (it was a floor model at half price) but the nice thing was that they did multiple coats so under the enamel was more enamel

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it wrong for me to think margarine tastes good?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That sounds......unimpressive.

Now imagine paying $15-25 for one

(or $5 at McDonald's for a McLobster Roll, which uses a hot dog bun instead of a proper roll)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Speaking of crab... I was thinking about how many fake foods there are out there. Without even getting into genetically modified stuff, we have

- Fake crab meat (krab) is pollack
- 99% of "wasabi" is horseradish with green food coloring
- Most stuff sold as cheese at the grocery is "cheese product"
- Most of the "blueberries" you get in muffins are corn syrup and food coloring
- Most "maple syrup" isn't
- Most "balsamic vinegar" isn't
- "Cinnamon" in the US is cassia
- Most "truffle oil" isn't

What else is there

edit: VVVV Eh I dunno why I threw that out there

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 29, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wrong thread

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 3, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

wafflesnsegways posted:

It drives me crazy when my girlfriend washes disposable forks. We have real forks! The only - only! - reason to use a shittier disposable version is you don't have to wash it when you're done!

No, the other reason for plastic forks is to give appropriate atmosphere to spam and kraft dinner.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

This is a good commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI

I hate this whole trend of wanna-be Old Spice Guys (Dairy Queen, Edge, Velveeta), but I'll make an exception for this guy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/is-pink-slime-in-the-beef-at-your-grocery-store/

Whistleblower says 70% of grocery ground beef is "pink slime"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

therattle posted:

Inspection platforms! I got very excited when I saw one of these in Berlin (in Wim Wenders's editing suite, actually); I even sent my wife a picture of it (unoccupied, of course).

To celebrate my resignation I've cracked open a bottle of cheap red someone gifted us to drink while I cook dinner. That'll do, pig, that'll do.

Poop shelves are also common in Russia.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sadly, I know this from personal experience... although it was still the USSR when I was there. I don't know why the gently caress you'd ever design a toilet like that.

Actually I learned about it from my friend who also visited when it was the USSR. He got into an argument with someone there about poop shelves vs water bowls.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Trader Joe's chicken sausages are kinda bleh.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Macaroni posted:

Shut up, my favorite andouille sausage brand is made with chicken. I like being able to eat a couple of links at once without my heart thudding to a dead stop as it does with the pork stuff.

But generally, yeah, chicken sausages are sadface.

Is it Aidell's? Because their chicken sausages actually are nice and greasy and taste close enough to pork.

I bought a bunch of Trader Joe's chicken sausages thinking it would be the same, but after I cook with them there's less oil in my pan than when I started :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A friend from college swore to me there was a beer called Laser. I didn't believe him. This thread reminded me to go google it.

http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/archive/laser.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo I found someone on ebay who was selling Laser beer and I bought his last can. Trip report when it arrives.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cast iron sucks in comparison

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's pork xiaolongbao.

Hargao literally means shrimp dumpling. Its pork counterpart would be a shumai, but what you ate was shanghai pork soup dumpling

English on Chinese menus often don't make sense because they're written by FOBs

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 23, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My couches cost less than some of my pots (Ikea).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A santoku, and a slicer. It looks like you already have a carver and whatever a "utility" is

Edit: for fun, what about making a second set with just Asian knives, like a Chinese cleaver, deba bocho, nakiri, yanagi, etc

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 31, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Aww, and I was looking forward to a knife fight

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Interesting... Japan is trying to get its citizens to eat more rice and less wheat

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ce_.single.html

And a neato machine that makes bread out of rice!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You've done XO sauce already?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno, even at that price 8 inches seems pretty small

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

pim01 posted:

Eek I can't make up my mind what to do with this kilo of oxtail :ohdear:. Make it into a nice thick stew, or go for soup and make Gori Gom Tang, which is also very nice and would give me an excuse to go buy kimchi again...
Flip a coin, you can't lose with either.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So yeah either one is great but I'm partial to 꼬리곰탕 because it's what I grew up on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Time for another cooking duel?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gladiator battle with forks, then

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I use styptic pencil to stop minor cuts from bleeding, and yes it does work. Smarts though, feels like acid melting your wound shut.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Why did they wait till after I bought several prime steaks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Seriously, in addition to being cheap, most of the stuff they sell is great quality. Macallan 18 year scotch for $75, prime grade New York steaks for $13/lb, huge bags of frozen veggies with nice big pieces for $6. It's amazing what they get sometimes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 6, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
"This represents my old self"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am looking forward to the Gravity vs Wiggles duel where Wiggles has to buy all his ingredients from Costco and Gravity has to buy all his from an immigrant-owned non-chain store where nobody speaks English

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Apparently it's next to impossible to swallow a whole tablespoon of cinnamon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNQEcTGkAgM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

someone should have googled a lot of things. She'll likely be scarred from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFo4AqyIPsA

Haha this is some Fire Marshall Bill stuff here. A few months from now she's going to be bald, missing an eye and half her teeth