Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Lavendar anything. Stop putting lavendar in desserts, it tastes like soap. loving gross.
Mussels. I keep trying them but I just don't really like them. Clams are awesome though.
Although I don't like raw clams on my sushi. Not a fan of that snappy rubberbandy texture. Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Do you like patchouli in your desserts, too? Because that's on the same level as appetizing, to me.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Okay, this is a set of menus from restaurants/hotels/steamboats in the 1800s, and it rules rules rules:

http://digital.lib.uh.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fp15195coll34

They loving love boiled meat though:

The type and handwriting :swoon:

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

I hear ya dino. Except replace "moved away" with "had babbies", so now it's either their place, our place but watch the kid like a hawk so he doesn't break stuff or hurt himself and then go home in 2 hurs when they get fussy. Going out anywhere is mostly out of the question, or regulated to babysitter availability. Which is almost never. It sucks.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

dino. posted:

O_O Is there any relation to that powdered cheese like they put on popcorn and stuff? I used to like that cheese popcorn they'd sell in those giant boxes with the caramel, butter, and cheese popcorn. Those boxes are rather tiny. I see pasta on sale for like $1 for 2 lbs. I guess it's because the sauce comes with it? Still, if you're adding your own butter and milk, why not just add some cheese to the thing and have done with?

Because that's so much work!

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Hooray for local awesome cheap butcher!
2 lbs ground elk
1 lb duck tenderloins (!)
1 lb berkshire pork linguisa
1.3 lbs Oregon country natural beef hanger steak
$24
:3

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Butcher was trying to make room for new stuff, so he had a fire sale on the elk ($3/lb; ground and frozen) and $2/lb on the sausage. Everything else is just reasonably priced.

Duck tenderloin is like a chicken tender(loin), apparently. There are a whole bunch in the bag to make up 1 lb.

Edit: Seattle area, and food is not cheap here. Grocery stores regularly sell bonelesss skinless chix breasts and flank steak for $10/lb, not that I buy them.

kiteless fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2012

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Kiteless, did you ever make that marmalade? If so, did it turn out or did you like it? We were hoping for some feedback.

I really wanted to, but I got so stupid loving busy before Xmas I barely made presents and stuff in time. And I'm still crazy busy now. It's like the neverending storm of poo poo to do. Sorry :(

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

I recently discovered 2 new food products.

Awesome:

Spicy Chile Crisp (makes everything tastes deliciously Szechuan):

Horrifying:

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just bought a pair of shoes online for the very first time. That makes me feel more bourgeois than I expected.

Would you have felt less bourgeois if you had sent in your order form from the Sears Roebuck & Co. catalog, and had your shoes delivered via Pony Express?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Hey look you guys, this guy is so smart and worldly he trolls and then responds in parables.

Seriously I don't post in D&D for a reason. Can we go back to talking about, I dunno, stripper cheese or something?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Lol 2 earthquakes. I grew up in So Cal. We only got up or out of bed if it was a 5.0 or greater.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

Go to Auto Zone or Home Depot and get a bunch of cheap towels, then get three or four nice looking kitchen towels. Keep the lovely towels in a drawer and the nice ones on the stove handle. Never, ever use the pretty ones for anything, toss the dirty ones into the washer when you're done. Keep a roll of paper towels around for cleaning up cat vomit, etc.

Pretty much this. Although our cats always puke on the carpet so we have to use cloth towels. But yeah, we have about 5 thirsty colored "nice" towels, and a couple dozen cheap terry towels. We go through a roll of paper towels in about 4 or 5 months, but wash towels constantly.

Also, tuppperware. We hardly use ziploc bags.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I've had sauces like it many times (I lived in south east asia for 7 years), but hadn't had Sriracha specifically because it wasn't really available/common in SEA.

SEA as in Seattle? Because... wtf? It's in every single Asian restaurant. And even many non-Asian restaurants. So I'm confused.

On a Sriracha related note, my awesome husband made homemade Sriracha today. And baked bread. And built 2 awesome trellises. And made dinner. Good husband!

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I think they meant Southeast Asia.

Which makes sense, that style of that kind of sauce was created in the States.

Well that makes sense and I'm an idiot.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

What about wine? And beer? :(

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Phummus posted:

If its acid errosion of your throat it is semi-permanent. First, you'll be given the option to have the throat stretching done under a local or a general anesthesia. The correct answer here is general every time. They'll say "Lets try it with local first" to which you answer "No loving way"

The time between stretchings varies, but is usually between every 6 months to every couple years.

Expect about a day for recovery time.

Gah that sounds awful.
And yeah, I had to have an operation on my nose where they cut then peel the skin up like in a rhinoplasty. Surgeon said "we can do this with local" to which I said "there is no loving way in hell". The next 4 days were awful, thank god for vicodin.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Well, poo poo. I'm taking a week off here soon (woohoo) and it looks like besides 18 home improvement projects and designing 2 websites and 28 cooking projects I will now be adding "make tonic" to my ever-growing and totally ridiculously long want-to-do list.

Also, Lillet Rose on the rocks with a grapefruit twist is goddamn refreshing.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Here to help.

Any smaller and you lose the fine detail.

Brilliant.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Going out for some beers. Possibly the Pine Box in Seattle because that is my new favorite place.
Having some folks over for F1. Making some foods and maybe later a fire pit.
Going to a bday party.
Sitting out here drinking beer (and harvesting the zucchini plants that have gone nuts). It's taken over a year from design to finish but I freaking love our tiny slice of paradise backyard, and I will love it even more once the plants all grow and fill out the landscape.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

This is honestly, 100%, the besssssssssssssssssssssss thing I've seen on youtube in a really long time.

+30 points for an E30.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

:allears: It really is

Except this is my new favorite song and music video. <3 Macklemore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

We got no tax breaks when we married. It's a goddamn myth I think.
Also, married 9+ years, together 12+. It's awesome.