Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bloody ghost titty posted:

After half a day of the NYC/GWS discords I’m inclined to agree.

B&R May be light on the food chat but, uh, we can fix that as one mass exodus.

Tell me more about this b&r thing - is that the dsa site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

pile of brown posted:

the worst thing to happen to gws is banning mindphlux don't @ me

Agreed. Mommie Dearest too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just leave my butter on the butter dish, and it's fine even in Vegas summer. It's good for toast. It doesn't smell weird. I go through about a stick a week like that.

Really this seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It takes way too long to wait for toast to melt butter. And that's time that I could be taking to spread Vegemite on the toast after the butter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hauki posted:

stick it back in the toaster oven for like five seconds

hell, it doesn't even have to be on, just let it carry over

Pffft what kind of bougie rear end in a top hat has a toaster oven even why I never.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scientastic posted:

We ran out of gin and I had to resort to a vodka martini after work. I was in extremis obviously, but why would anyone willingly choose such an obviously inferior option?

Gin is just too flavoured for some people.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

It’s not that there is too much flavor there, it’s that the flavor that is there is terrible.

Whoah, check out this bad post.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

10 items isn't bad at least.

Also on alcohol. Discuss. Meyer's Dark Rum, is good.

Meyers always has a place in my bar.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For gin, btw, my favorite after all these years and all these gins is still Gordon's.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The superior grilled cheese is a quesadilla, which doesn't have problems like this.

:smug:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Borscht in the summer feels weird but yeah, these are all great ideas. I'll be trying a few of them out, thanks!

Do beets freeze well at all?

Cold borscht in the summer doesn't feel weird at all.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

WinCo is the pro place for bulk candies fyi. I don't even like candy and I know this.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Congrats man! It's going to be a awesome journey! I've been a dad for basically my entire adult life, and while it was certainly taxing at points it's also been really, really cool.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oooh tots!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hard boiled eggs just, weird me out. Which by extension precludes egg salad.

Just make salad with century eggs then.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So, in my quest to return my body to it's former Adonis-like glory (and also increase my combat sport performance), I've finally given in to the low-carb thing. Which sucks, because I love rice, bread, and potatoes very much. But I didn't want to do this in a pseudo-science kind of way, or put my body into ketosis, or anything like that. Rather, I wanted to essentially just restrict my calories in a way that was easy to fool myself into not suffering. Thus, I picked up a copy of The Drinking Man's Diet! As cliché as this old thing is, I've got to say that it's been working remarkably well. What's more, I've become an even bigger fan of martinis that I was before, so that's fun. I highly recommend this lifestyle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh word. I quit using the outdoor wok unless it's after dark and I have the misters on. Basically we've been living on cold salad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Vanilla wafers?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I would eat those cookies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

excellent bird guy posted:

just eating a lot of peanut butter lately :yuck: Skippy is the worst, always choose Jif.

Excellent opinion from excellent bird guy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scientastic posted:

All peanut butter is horrible

You are a person without taste and class. I'd pity you, but that would lower me to your plebian level.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

My son likes less salt than I do and I don’t want him eating things as salty as I do so I cook with less salt than usual, and salt my portion at the table. My wife doesn’t always so if I salted to my palate it would probably be too much for her too.

Same.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

I’ve never had mole. Do you catch them yourself or get them from a butcher? How do they taste? (Probably like chicken...)

They're quite earthy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

With the eggs it's really more the free ranging and pasturing that makes them good - organic isn't a part of it. Same with beef, milk products, etc. The terroir matters with these things.

Also, croat - the color of those yolks will change throughout the year as the diet varies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

It’s either that or my Mexican/Japanese fusion concept

Tacoyaki

Something's fishy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nah but when I drink too much whiskey I wake up with my mouth tasting sweet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lockdown month idk whatever it is now, signing back into SA for the first time in years. What's up old friends? how y'all doin? I've been working from home since march which is cool I guess, less stress from commuting means I've been cooking more again, so that's good. Still a lovely year overall though. Lost my mom to lymphoma a few months ago. I was reminded of how many people loved the pilipino pood thread and she was basically the source of that whole thing and made the best filipino food in the world.

Hey Grav glad you're here! Sorry about your mom.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

This method of refreshing bread was documented by Jean-Baptiste Boussingault in a paper in 1852 (Boussingault, J. B. 1852. Expériences ayant pour but de déterminer la cause de la transformation du pain tendre en pain rassis. Ann. Chim. Phys. 36:490-494.), somewhat predating Kenji blogging on the subject.

Vous devez donner une traduction en anglais pour les païens, mon chou.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I usually just take pruning shears and snip em and they usually deflate into a pool of guts and, like, a shockingly large amount of plant pulp. I feel like fried hornworm sticks would be like horror film mozzerella sticks.

I go through my tomatoes with chopsticks, pulling off any worms that I find. I just throw them on to the hot Vegas pavement and they mummify in minutes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I've had deserts with pasta in them, and they can be good. For instance, acini de pepe mixed with custard, whipped cream, pineapple, etc.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Guildenstern Mother posted:

That's pretty much what I did, and it was pretty tasty, but now I'm thinking something like tonkatsu sauce

Yes, but also sesame oil with salt and cumin.

Also, HP sauce would be good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

No she was just French, they're all like that.

She was from Pasadena.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tend to double crack on a flat surface. But I do it one handed so it’s still pretty baller.

When I worked a flat top in school I was doing two per hand at the same time. I don't miss that skill, but I miss the flat top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Um I think everyone here is forgetting about Our Friend Spam.