Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man, I use side towels and paper towels, but am frustrated I don't use the side towels more.

I mean, I use them, but if I'm drying fish or something where the hand towel would get completely and instantly hosed, I use paper towels. wipe down boards and counters and stuff with side towels.

the only problem with only using side towels, in my mind, is that they get so smelly and filthy. I absolutely wouldn't want to run them with my clothes, I wouldn't have a dress shirt without stains if I did. I could chuck them in the washing machine and immediately run them, but it'd be a waste to do it for just a few towels. I could (and do) keep them in a separate laundry bin until I have enough to run a 'kitchen towel only' load - but half the time they're soaking wet and covered with food by the time I'm done cooking. even when I rinse them and prewashed them in the sink with soap before throwing them in a 'dishtowel only' basket, the heap gets so goddamn moldy and disgusting by the time I have 3 or so days worth of side towels to run.....

argh what to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

I throw them in with jeans and PJs and workclothes. If a couple kitchen towels go in with every non-delicate load, it doesn't make a difference.

I don't own jeans, and my work clothes are the ones I can't get stained. and I think if my girlfriend found my dick smelling like foul tuna, I wouldn't get blown for a month, so pjs are out. I guess I could throw them in with bath towels... but again with the tuna dick problem.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

Oh gently caress, I just snorted water out my nose. Note to self: do not read forums while drinking water.

Speaking of Yelp reviews. Wasn't there some thread about retarded yelp reviews? Yes, I realise saying "retarded yelp review" is redundant, but you know what I'm getting at, right?

every yelp review is retarded

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Darval posted:

What the hell is yelp and why is it so funny, yes I live under a rock (or apparently just not in Brooklyn)

it's the only actually useful national review site for food/drink/entertainment places, but it's only actually useful because a bunch of liberal arts school dropouts/graduates (same thing really, speaking from a position of authority) across the country inexplicably spend way too much time writing elaborate reviews thinking they're the next whoopi goldberg or carrottop or whoever is considered funny nowadays and really in the end the entire site is just one gigantic wank fest I mean you can't walk 10 feet without stepping in hipster jizz or dangling participles or forlorn subjunctives

albeit useful hipster jizz and dangling participles and forlorn subjunctives

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Scientists have recently discovered a substance called "laundry detergent," which, when combined with frequent laundering results in remarkably clean and non-smelly towels and clothing.

Why do I always forget you don't cook for a living?

probably because I post in the industry thread as if I still do

I dunno about laundry detergent - last time I staged somewhere for fun, like 1.5 years ago now, I was tasked with picking through a vat of braised lamb that was probably as big as my torso. I didn't ask what cut it was, but there were huge rear end chunks of fat, and I was pretty much elbow deep in lamb grease. predictably I got a ton on my jacket, and I've washed that fucker dozens of times since. still smells like musky lamb fat.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Darval posted:

I've heard a lot about Sriracha sauce, but never actually tried it before today. Holy poo poo. It burns. Burns so good

:gb2gbs:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm really getting loving tired of goons and cast iron. it's this huge kitschy thing that only nerds would sperge over, and I mean come on, cast iron is just not something that even pops up on the radar of self-respecting professional cooking.

for whatever reason, goons have started getting gay as gently caress about how cast iron 'never sticks' and the seasoning that they've developed and how their goddamn grandmas passed down this pan which makes their bacon taste like 3x better and meanwhile they don't really even know how to cook and basically all they do is cook steak ala ducasse in their loving lovely pans to a lukewarm grey while stroking their cock to man sized posters of akira or whatever the christ

it's like the neckbearded guys who circlejerk over the extra peaty $120 a bottle scotches they like to drink, but in reality they hardly ever loving drink at all, and when they do they have like half a watered down scotch and are like 'ahhh im living the good life' and then pretend like they're drunk and pass out at 9pm.

case in point, this popped up on my facebook feed today

a spergy neckbeard goon posted:

Innus & Gunn is rapidly becoming my go-to lower ABV, lower-cost sipping beer.

I mean for fucks sake. do you think you're even being clever or ?

a. innus & gunn is poo poo.
b. you think you're namedropping, but you aren't - innus & gunn is poo poo
c. there are like a million other readily available english and scottish real ales that are a billion times better - and you choose innus & gunn, which is poo poo.
d. you think you're being clever and/or manly by suggesting innus & gunn is a low abv beer, but in reality you can't even drink 2 goddamn pbrs without 1. vomitting and/or 2. passing out and
e. there are a number of actually low abv milds available in your state which would be perfectly suitable to your non-drinking of alcohol status, equally as namedroppy, and which wouldn't make you look like a loving oval office on the internet!

loving GOONS AND CAST IRON I SWEAR TO GOD

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 12, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
u mad bro

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Very Strange Things posted:

I like cast iron because I'm poor and I can get a nice old pan at a flea market for $5 that is much better than the crappy stainless that I could afford.
I have one or two nice stainless pieces now too, but the cast iron is still the go-to.
Never heard of Imus and Gin or whatever it was that beer was, but I unironically like PBR as well as good beer and I don't think it's because I'm a shithead.

no you're probably normal.

I like PBR and good beer; I also like stainless and cast iron. they just all have their place and time and both you and I probably don't get any more smug as poo poo when drinking a decent beer vs drinking a pbr - and likewise hopefully don't crack a giant shiteating grin at how awesome we are for cooking in cast iron when all the plebs are out there using teflon

because they're just loving pans, and just loving beers. christ

bunnielab posted:

Also HighLife is the best cheap beer.

I think I've really come to agree with this. I dunno if it's because it's a bit more carbonated than other cheap beers or what, but it has a permanent place in my fridge as my official GolfJuice™.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 12, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

I don't know what a PBR is.

...I don't sip beer either - I drink it copiously and with hearty enjoyment - often while singing songs about sad maidens and the smelly fingers that will result from the interaction with them.

...Steel is superiour to cast iron sometimes, and other times it is not, often the definition of those times is wether or not I feel like using one or the other. The feel for it is linked to wether I have to use my meatcleaver, because that makes me feel like a man, and if I don't have to use it, I can repair my masculinity by using cast iron. (For some reason most of my cast iron responds really well to being washed too... much like my manhood - I use steel wool on both too).

Also.. I am using leverpostej in a ragu right now, and if this fucks it up I will blame you Sjurygg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeWUXV89w0g

this is all you need to know

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man, I cooked a dish tonight that was maybe the best thing I've made in like 6 months. I really spent a couple hours brainstorming and prepping the components, and the result was pretty awesome, and completely 'me' as far as cooking goes, which I don't feel happens that often for whatever reason. </livejournal>

I got some black cod, two smallish portions, rubbed them with soft butter, then rolled them in a herbed panko

peeled and cored some parsnips, simmered them in chicken stock, then pureed them, added a bit of butter and heavy cream, and passed through a tamis to get a really silky texture sauce

got some baby portabella mushrooms, quartered them and cooked them down in their own juices with a bit of butter and pepper, then after they'd browned a little, threw in a knob of truffle butter for depth

there were a bunch of really good tasting cherry tomatoes at the market, so I cut a slit in them, blanched them and slipped their skins off, then tossed and refrigerated with some sherry vinegar, salt pepper and olive oil.

then I pan fried the cod, finished in the oven, put the parsnip puree down on the plate, then cod, sprinkled mushrooms around, topped with cherry tomatoes, and sprinkled with flaked salt

poo poo was really good

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone used transglutaminase at all? I have a little scratchpad of things I really would like to pick up, and transglutaminase and carrageenan are both at the top. I don't really know about buying it though, every time I search, I only find horribly overpriced 'MOLECULAR GASTRONOMY 101 STARTER KIT' products

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have titty hosed a girl but it only lasted about 7 seconds because I couldn't stop laughing at how goddamn hilarious it was

how do people actually get off on that

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

I always dig finding out which sex acts are and are not emotionally mature enough for GWS regulars. :allears:

I really hope you're not implying that getting off by sticking your dick inbetween tits is a 'really emotionally mature' thing to do.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

A friend from college swore to me there was a beer called Laser. I didn't believe him. This thread reminded me to go google it.

http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/archive/laser.html

there's a wine called 'woop woop', and for the purposes of forum conjecture ; it's the only thing I ever drink. :w00t:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Well, it's definitely not a mark of taste and refinement like jizzing in her mouth or pooper.

just anecdotal evidence, but I've never met or been with a girl actually in to getting tit hosed at all

and the only guys I've known who have thought it would be a turn on have been either sexually incompetent, total douchebags, joking, or all three.

to contrast, 67% of girl's I've known or been with have been pretty on board with jizzing in their mouth or rear end (in general), and of their own accord - not like 'if a guy did this, would you break up with him?'

so as far as social maturity goes, anecdotally I'd have to assert that while wanting to shoot hot streamer jets of cum all over a girls mouth and or butt may not be a sign of maturity, not wanting to thrust blindly into a girls chest while she sits there going 'uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........' just might be.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sorry but I just won't stand by and let some faggots shovel their dicks into girls tits while I'm on the beat;;

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

This girl I was dating read in Cosmo or whatever an article that suggested arm-pit humping as a "safe sex alternative". Of course we tried it and it was pretty much impossible to keep an erection with all the laughing and screaming.

so basically tit loving is the same as arm-pit sex

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol

cooked a massive 25 person dinner party with nice rear end expensive local hauty tauty grass fed organic beef (that I corned) yesterday, just out of pocket, because good food is important and worth sharing

tonight, walking home from a bar, I found $67 bux just sitting on the sidewalk, presumably from some drunken st. patricks day partier

karma bitches :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pnumoman posted:

Charitable use of found money = buy your friends shots.

or lots of delicious corned beef!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way about Michael Pollan and mindphlux.

lolé

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well as you may know Macaroni, the us boy scouts have more recently been taken over by the mormons, so I don't know if that makes them more or less progressive. I was just going off their devoutly christian leaning, and the fact that at the two troops I checked out when I was kid, I heard scout leaders saying racist things. I never joined because of that.

all boy scouts have always already been taken over by their insane bored powertripping parents who just want to pretend they're in their teens again and live vicariously through their sons in the weirdest way possible. even before taking religion and dumb political views into account, boy scouting is pretty much doomed to the worst kind of failure.

I was never involved as a kid, despite my parents really wanting me to be. They got to my two younger brothers before they were old enough to say 'no way', so I saw the insane poo poo they had to go through. crazy, crazy people are 'den leaders', and the sort of racist, classist, insane dramabomb fudgepipes that are squabbles between parents are enough to drive a kid to madness.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
in before 'mindphlux was raped by the boyscouts'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

I peel 10 or 15 bulbs, cover it in oil, and put it in the oven for 1- 1,5 (if I forget it) hours at 100*c, the oil I'm using is either a neutral oil, or a bulk extra virgin olive oil. Then I store it in the fridge - it has a shelf life of virtually forever..

so, submerged in the oil you cooked them in? they really last indefinitely? I keep on buying roasted garlic at the little olive bar thing at my supermarket, but I throw it out after a week or so. of course, it's not submerged in oil. once it turned green and smelled like death. :( dunno how they prepare theirs though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

Seems like you should hit it at 121*c, so either I've been lucky, or I've had my oven on too high (prolly the first) - I will adjust to 125.

But yeah - it lasts at least a couple of months in the fridge (but it will only last me about 2 weeks when we're talking around 100 cloves - bitches needs their garlic bread!

I believe the proper grammar there would be 'bitches need they garlic bread' actually.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
one of my clients is a biomedical advocacy group, which has networking meetings and an annual scientific review event and stuff. I went to one of the paper presentation session things, and read a paper by a phd candidate looking at the survival of botulism in acidulated mayonnaise. they compared survival rates based on PH, and on commercially prepared "lemon juice" vs fresh squeezed lemon juice vs citric acid vs not at all.

it was interesting, because in all the samples, I remember seeing that botulinum spores - when put in a properly acidulated medium - eventually die off. like, no matter what acid was used, at the proper PH, after like 5-10 days, all the mediums were fine - it was just the rate at which they were killed off that varied. this was surprising to me, because I guess I just figured that things got worse over time, no matter what.

I wish I knew how to get enough into food science to know exactly when to be comfortable with holding things at various temperatures, and when a jar of roasted garlic in oil or pot of old soup is gonna kill me. Given how blasé I am about the food safety of actual food items (raw beef? sure thing! eggs still quivering, raw cookie dough? of course! all variety of perishable sea creatures eaten raw? sure count me in!) I find it really disturbing how afraid I can get of things after 5-6 days of their sitting in the fridge. :( if it's a soup or something and I haven't re-boiled it after 6 days, I throw it out. same with cooked meats, cooked vegetables, basically everything. but I'm sure some of it is probably fine, I just get the heebie jeebies. :( someone help cure me please. :( :(

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 22, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A Gremlin Eel posted:

Also, here's what the government of Canada (It's a real country) has to say about garlic in oil:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/garlic-ail-eng.php

I like that they refer to garlic in oil as "Garlic-In-Oil™"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable Melange posted:

Re: flour, gently caress bittman. I'll accurate it a bit to compensate.

lol

are you goddamn serious?

bittman made a mustard recipe that involved flour?

my ire for that fag grows stronger every goddamn moment.

anyways, I made my first mustard too about 2 weeks ago! highfive.

I basically scraped what I could from several recipies I found on the web, and ended up :

grinding about half a cup of black and yellow mustard seeds in a mortar and pestle until powdery, but still with wholegrains

using ice-cold water/whitewine to hydrate the mustard concoction. my research on the internet said something about water activating enzymes which uhhh, I don't know, turned the bitter stuff in mustard seeds into searingly hot horseradishy stuff. I tasted 1 second in, and it was just bitter and nasty. 25 minutes in, it was less bitter and a bit spicy.

so then I added salt and pepper, a bit more liquid (white wine), some sugar, garlic, et cetera, until it tasted sort of ok but bitter. I let it sit for like a week, tasted it, and it was on par with the best whole grain mustard I've ever had, so I guess it just takes time to fix the bitterness.

anyways lmao flour? in mustard? I mean I'm no mustard expert, but seriously, what?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Test Pattern posted:

I don't get the Bittman hate. Here's his actual mustard recipe:

Recipe:

If the recipe I followed is right, bittman is still sort of wrong, flour aside -

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/10/making-homemade-mustard-easier-than-you-think/64871/

calls for adding water/wine for a while before adding the vinegar. and from experience, I know it's loving impossible to 'use immediately' as bittman suggests. mustard is bitter as hell for 6-12 hours after you make it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
GWS Culinary Chat: Cooking is Physics, Enamel is Voodoo, Bittman is Wrong

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How do you even eat things with uncooked flour? Like, wouldn't they be horrible and powdery and.. ugh, I started thinking about it and started scraping my tongue with my teeth because it just sounds bad.

Mustard talk: I like mustard, I want to try more mustard, what kind of mustard should I try? Because mustard is awesome.

try making it re: the link I posted above. I was really surprised as how well mine turned out.

I've had this idealized 'form of mustard' floating in my head for a couple years, and it was nice to try my hand at putting it into existence. I wouldn't say I succeeded, but I wouldn't say I failed either...

but to answer your question - you've probably had it, but if you haven't, try inglehoffer's stone ground - it's my favorite big name commercial brand. http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mustard-10-Ounce-Squeezable-Bottles/dp/B000EY3OMS

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
=CONCATENATE(SubG,' ',bunnielab)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CuddleChunks posted:

I hope this helps.

oh man people like this totally exist don't they. :(

:(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dunno if im late on this or what, but

dear KozmoNaut, shut the gently caress up.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
someone pointed out in coupons that quart sized mason jars fit the threads of the base/blade of oyster blenders perfectly. maybe other blenders too.

my mind is still in the process of being blown. I can just reach in to my drinking glass cabinet (where probably 1/2 my glasses are mason jars anyways), grab a quart, shove some ingredients into the jar, slap it on the mixer blades/blender, go to town, and have 20 seconds of clean up. awesome.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SYFY HYPHY posted:

This is a dumb opinion. Of course you can lose either way. A kilo of meat is enough for four people in a normal, not-vegetarian. meal. If your party is four people, make a dumb soup. If it's more, use extenders and make a stew. As loving mythical food is, there still is basic goddamn science based on it, and how much one thing can feed one person. Don't be retarded.

lol :siren: DRUNK TROLL MODE DETECTED :siren:

<3 syfy hyphy

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
So, I don't think I posted this, but - I've started staging for a james beard dude recently. I did like 2 years ago, but pussed out - the guy who was in charge of my stage was a dick, didn't work out.

This time it is working out though, and I'm learning some really awesome poo poo about hydrocollids and techniques I've never heard of before. probably the most striking thing I've picked up so far - they ash roast vegetables in their own ash. so like they'll take a shitton of beets and carrots and onions and absolutely incinerate them, and then take fresh veg and roast it in an oven covered with all that charred poo poo, then rinse them off and season. it's absolutely amazing, and imparts this ethereal complex smokey flavor that would be hard to put your finger on if you didn't know what in to making the dish.

but aside from fringe 'cutting edge' poo poo, it's just good to step foot back in a kitchen...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SYFY HYPHY posted:

I WILL LEVEL GEORGIA IF IT MEANS ENDING YOU

aREN'T you an IT self-employed monkey these day, what is this staging poo poo..

<3 no my family is in georgia i probably woun't do that

YEAH but part of being self employed means I have free time every now and again and besides all I want to do in my dream world is own a restaurant or brewpub or something so I can't get rusty now can I????

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Thoogsby posted:

Just got a jar of some very tasty looking saffron threads as a gift and I have nothing to do all day today. What would be an awesome application for it?

eat the whole jar and see if your pee turns saffron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steakandchips posted:

Why the gently caress are restaurant websites the most likely sort of websites to have loving music built in to them? I find it extremely annoying to be assaulted by lovely music every time I want to look at a menu of a new restaurant.

Yeah I agree completely. My personal ground rule is just not to go to any restaurants with music on their website - works out pretty well. I've yet to have seen a restaurant that had music on its site that was just so enticing I couldn't miss it...