Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hi GWS, I made jerky and it tastes awful! I recently bought a new oven that has a dehydrator setting on it so naturally I wanted to get some use out of it. Dried fruits are easy and delicious but I always wanted to make jerky and now I think I might end up just leaving it to the pro's..

I used Alton Brown's recipe that I remembered from that episode of good eats like 15 years ago where he makes a dehydrator with box fans. I used London broil instead of flank because I couldn't find any flank. I can identify a few issues. I figured asking my butcher to slice it for me would be the easiest way to go but the pieces they gave me were pretty substantial and not really jerkylike. I also tried using two layers while cooking but only had one mesh tray so the bottom layer was on a sheet pan. Those are pretty rubbery and the bottoms are not the same color as the rest of it. Cooking temp/time might be off because I had trouble finding a consensus for how hot and how long on the internet.

Regardless of cook time and size I think it just tastes awful and I'm not sure if I hosed something up even though I followed that recipe to the T, or if this is just an acquired taste that I haven't.. acquired. Anyway sorry for the :words: but had to vent somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dead Of Winter posted:

It may not have been anything you did -- Alton Brown's recipes tend to be decent examples for learning a particular principle or technique, but not all of them result in something you'd really want to eat. A lot of them don't taste very good, and some are downright revolting.

As for this particular recipe...it looks like a pretty standard jerky marinade, but it could be that the liquid smoke may be a culprit. Even good brands of liquid smoke are easy to overdo, and a bad brand will ruin pretty much anything you put it in.

Yeah I did see people saying they skipped the liquid smoke in the comments, I think I might just also not be that into the flavor of Worcestershire sauce which is pretty overpowering here. If I do try again later I'm going to slice my own meat, I was originally going to do the freezing/slicing thing myself but I figured it'd be easier for the butchers to do it. I got pretty big chunks from them which sucked. I also need to figure out the time/temp, I did 165 for 8 hours and it's tough so I might have overdone one or both of those.

I'm just going to buy more canned pineapple and dehydrate some more pineapple instead :shobon:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sucks about the butcher. I think I could trust mine. How did they cut the grain?

Against the grain, which I'm not necessarily opposed to a tougher piece of jerky but probably would have cut with the grain if it was me doing the cutting to get more tender pieces.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I always thought cracking on a hard surface only worked for TV chefs who know the exact amount of pressure to put into cracking the egg for it to split perfectly in half but since quarantine I've been making a shitload more eggs and I'll be god damned if that doesn't actually work a lot better even if you gently caress it up somehow. I've always cracked on the edge of the bowl/pan and almost always had to fish out shell fragments but literally haven't had to once since I started doing the flat surface thing earlier this year.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My family has a recipe for "filling balls" that has been made at thanksgiving for my entire life that's basically baseball sized wads of bread cubes, celery, onions, and a few eggs baked in the oven so they get a nice crunchy outside but warm, soft innards and for like 15 years I thought this was what filling/stuffing was. They are so goddamn good still warm and cut in half with gravy on.