Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I guess I'm making some dessert for a girl soon. I want to do a tea flavored cheesecake. Anyone have thoughts on this. My initial plan was just going to be 'brew a couple tablespoons of ultra strong Green tea, and hope the water doesn't mess up the cake.

Also if anyone just knows of an ultra good cheesecake recipe, that would be welcome. I've lost the one I used last, and was just gonna google tomorrow...

steep the tea in cream instead of water?

also maybe do a mixture of chai spices instead of just green tea unless youre doing it because she hella likes green tea, and then maybe add some lime zest or something?

kiteless posted:

Lavendar anything. Stop putting lavendar in desserts, it tastes like soap. loving gross.
for serious

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I hate electronic books. I like real books. I like the smell, the feel, the way they treat my eyes. I like my shelves lined with them. I like to not have to worry about batteries. I like being able to browse used book stores. I like the analogness of them.

via telegraph from somewhere in the Reno wilderness six minutes ago

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

PainBreak posted:

Just got caught up with RouxChat...

Does anyone making a mornay really cook their roux for 10+ minutes? I want the absolute lightest roux I can possibly have, while having cooked the 'floury' taste out of it. We're talking 2 minutes, tops...just when it goes from foamy to grainy. I couldn't imagine darkening it up more than that... Bleh...

youre not comprehending RouxChat... the ten minutes is TOTAL cooking time after adding the flour. So if you cook your roux for two minutes you need to be sure to cook your roux-thickened sauce for at least eight more minutes to make sure it doesn't taste like flour. In home applications youre probably going to have the sauce on the stove for far longer that that and it would never come up

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mindphlux posted:

ok here's a pretty annoying problem with me and pasta.

a. I can't ever make filled pasta look pretty {but that's a problem with me}

b. fresh pasta always toughens up on me after I cook it!

how long are you trying to store cooked fresh pasta and why? I have never actually tried to store fresh pasta after cooking it, usually I store the uncooked pasta in a single floured layer in between sheets of parchment and cook it to serve.

also I have found that one of the secrets to non-ugly raviolos is to make sure that the top is securely on the bottom (and sealed with egg wash) and tight around the filling, otherwise you get weird wrinkles and bubbles. also as thin as you can get the pasta without breaking it all the drat time

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 20, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I'm not trying to store cooked fresh pasta? are you asking why I rinse it under cool water? if so, I guess I just read somewhere that it was good to stop the cooking process, even if you were immediately serving - but I've also stopped doing that because it makes the pasta so goddamn dense and chewy.

sorry i just assumed you were shocking it to store for later. you don't need to stop the cooking process of fresh pasta because its the absolute last thing you cook and then you add it straight into the sauce and then eat it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

Fun fact- if you're fired, you are ineligible for unemployment.

In California at least it's pretty much the opposite: if you quit your job you can't claim unemployment but if you're fired they pretty much have to prove they fired you for breaking the law to deny you unemployment.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
that makes me sick on so many levels

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I do a pork belly braise that is just soy, sugar, ginger, star anise, garlic and pepper (and some water); I usually do fresh but you could use dried garlic and ginger powder if you wanted to, and then you would only need to strain/not eat the star anise pod

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 19, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's so weird about geoduck ceviche? That sounds like the most normal thing on there.

if you don't know what it is it kind of sounds like a duck that lives in a burrow or something

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I didn't read it but it sounds like they were comparing people's social reactions to a perceived category difference, not trying to prove that organic food had some physical component that made you a douche. I don't think anybody actually ate food, they chose what food they would like to eat from a series of photos.

Nosmo if you know of a mirror for the study where it doesn't cost $25 to read it I'd be interested in reading more about it though.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
and how come you drive on a parkway, and park in a driveway?!?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Toriori posted:

Why must gluten free foods be so darned expensive or require a bajillion weird ingredients?!

that applies pretty much exclusively to things that are meant to imitate gluten. give up on bread and look at ethnic foods, most of them don't require/involve much gluten.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
they can drink rice beer

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
its still annoying when someone plops down at their seat and announces "Im vegan"* at the start of a five course dinner

*also "I don't eat grains" [furious debate ensues about whether or not to sub quinoa for Bulgar wheat]

I haven't read the book (yet) those are both real things that have happened this week.

I realize that this type of behavior is exclusive to assholes and not to vegans but you only see this instance in assholes who also happen to be vegan so you start tending to lump them all together

disclaimer that as far as I know the only time I've ever served a vegan something non-vegan was because I forgot I had honey in a salad dressing until later. I do actually enjoy trying to make tasty things around restrictions, just not in the middle of dinner service when I'm trying to work the line and put out a banquet in a restaurant whose entire menu is really not particularly vegan-friendly at all.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 1, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

2 shots wild turkey american honey, with one more shot with a coke. I'm still fairly lucid, but I can definitely feel it.

I tried to report you for PWI cause that poo poo is loving gross but then I remembered that you have to have plat to report posts. seriously the one time I tried it it was loving SLUDGY with the amount of sugar in it

fake edit: also you posted a trip report for alcohol with the word lucid in it

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
if you put some coarse semolina or cornmeal on your baking sheet the crust will slide right off. just make sure that your sheet is dry and dont spill sauce on it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

With regards to line-cooks being envious of the better conditions of the serving people - well... A large part of the experience of dining somewhere is the experience and atmosphere that the host is able to create, and instead of being jealous of their wage, if yours is too low, the answer isn't lowering someone elses to make yours seem higher, that would actually not really make any kind of sense, at all, anywhere, ever.

I realize that this is a GROSS oversimplification, but if you total the money spent inside of a restaurant and get a number, M you can figure out what % of M goes to food cost, labor wages, profit for the house, and how much was spent tipping a server. Your total pool of money is M no matter how it's divided because you can't pay employees with money customers didn't spend. If wages go up, the money has to come from somewhere, and the restaurant is hungry for a way to make it come from "not profits."

edit: just reread what I quoted from you and the active word is "seems," if you're saying that simply reducing server wages does nothing for kitchen staff I agree; what I am saying is that the percentage of our fake number M that is paid to servers and cooks should better reflect that food is AT LEAST as important as service when dining out in restaurants, especially higher-ticket places.

bartolimu posted:

The world would be a better place if there weren't tip-dependent jobs.

or this. I have no problem with tipping in principle, but I do have a problem with the structure of a system that allows the argument that they are depending on the tips for survival, yet the tip is also supposed to be dependent on my experience/the service I receive.

I think an overall better system would be to pay servers the same minimum wage that all other professions get, paired with a sweeping social change that makes tipping more dependent on the actual service and not on empathy for an underpaid employee.

The secret to BBQ sauce is pork drippings, and smoke (whether from real wood, liquid smoke, smoked paprika etc.) everything else is pretty mutable.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 31, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
be the fighting mongooses, that's a cool team name

edit: seriouspost just be the lions, tigers, bears, wolves, eagles, raptors, pirates, vikings or something. Although one time my friend's dad named our U12 soccer team the Marauders, that was pretty hilarious in retrospect

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 22, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

NosmoKing posted:

Food safety be damned.

when you think about it, food safety is a lot younger than humanity

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Halalelujah posted:

Currently breaking up with my gf (I think) pay me no mind.

hey i also did that today! (gf of one year)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
edit: go away dumb EN poo poo

just changed the menu and last night I cooked the entree station for dinner service, cooking most of the dishes for the first time, while chef and sous chef were busy with a wedding. ended up doing 100+ covers and I did every entree that wasnt carbonara. then I celebrated by getting drunk and maudlin! (see edit)

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 22, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
anyone want to guess how much it costs to get attacked by a homeless person's dog? (note: bill is only for rabies shots I treated the actual wounds myself)

edit: I didn't have health insurance at the time: ~$28,000 at the hospital

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 4, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
whats the irc channel that people are actually in? also are there any other places you guys ever go to chat with food people in real time, bounce around ideas and stuff? last night I had homework to run a special with eggplant, kale and tomatillos would have been fun to bounce some ideas around with people but nobody in #gws or #goonswithspoons is ever actually there

ended up running a vegetarian entree special of an eggplant parmesan but with a spicy tomatillo sauce instead of tomato, then a side of kale braised with basil, ginger, raisins and pine nuts

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

So gravette and I are going to be going on a minimoon in a week, for a week, to San Luis Obispo. Looking for suggestions of places to eat, things to do. We've been before, but it was a long time ago. Namely, I would love a place to get awesome fresh shucked oysters, or even an awesome seafood market, I can bring my own knife. We were thinking of doing Hearst Castle because we didn't do it last time. Probably going to go wine tasting a few times, that's what we did last time and we really enjoyed it. Any other suggestions? Maybe a range of restaurants, too. Like hole in the wall but awesome to fine dining.

I've lived in SLO for a few years but tbh I'm kind of a homebody outside of work. fake edit: also I got super carried away with this

there are a lot of farmer's markets throughout the week, I am missing some but:
monday in los osos at 2pm, pretty good sized market
tuesday in slo 3-6 (on broad street in front of the grange, small market only 10-15 vendors)
thursday night is the big famous downtown slo farmers market at night but I tend to think of that more like a carnival than a farmer's market though there are food vendors there too.
friday afternoons there is a market in cambria but cambria is for weird people and lives under perpetual fog cover so you dont need to go to cambria
saturday mornings there is a large market in slo, in the madonna center by the embassy suites it's my favorite market as it has the most vendors and since it starts at 8am theres no street musicians or cell phone booths or young republicans with clipboards like thursday night market

At work we use morro bay oyster company locally farmed oysters, civilian access to them wholesale seems to be ill-described on their website though: http://morrobayoysters.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=buy_oysters
I think they might be at thursday night market selling them fresh shucked from a stand

Old Port Fishery also has a refrigerated truck at most markets, though not the saturday morning one. Their smoked salmon is like sweet delicious salmon candy

When I buy seafood at home I usually drive out to Giovanni's in Morro Bay, I've never been dissatisfied with anything I got there: http://www.giovannisfishmarket.com/Map.aspx

If you take the long way out to Morro Bay you can stop at Noi's in Los Osos, It's a tiny little place with two seats at a counter inside and some picnic tables outside run by a little clan of thai ladies that make amazing food (and only take cash!). They don't have their own website but their info is Address: 1288 2nd Street, Los Osos, CA 93402 Phone: (805) 528-6647

I also like Thai Boat in slo a lot, they are my go-to lazy day off lunch (too lazy to drive to noi's) and the two guys who own/run? it are the nicest friendliest guys ever. The food is always delicious but their hours are a little weird and they are fond of closing on random weekdays and putting up a sign that says "SORRY WE OPEN TOMORROW" so call ahead and make sure they're open. http://thaiboatslo.com/

In slo I really like to eat at Luna Red, it described itself as "world tapas" or something trendy like that but it's a pretty good selection of delicious small plates. The last time I was there they had a couple kinks to work out after recently changing locations but I'm sure they've since figured out that a 18 inch long plate for each single oyster doesn't work super good when your tables are only 30 inches square on the patio. Novo, a couple blocks downtown is run by the same owners and is a lot more tableclothy. Good food, also pretty eclectic menu. There is also Sidecar a bar/restaurapub place that is pretty fun to hang out in with excellent lunch food and equally excellent dinner food though you have to eat it with a bunch of hipsters yelling around you while mostly bad music plays and also you're usually pretty hammered since you've been there since lunch anyways and why would you even want to eat at this point? Also some of the bartenders there are pretty good/creative and down with weird requests. One mixed me a pretty awesome drink with bourbon, applejack, and rhubarb bitters.

If you go wine tasting in Paso you should probably hit up Thomas Hill Organics and/or Artisan. I used to work at THO; both are pretty excellent, Artisan tends to be a little pricier and mostly classic dishes executed excellently, THO is also extremely delicious but there is guaranteed to be something on the menu that makes you go "what the gently caress?" and that probably means you should order it. Go in on an off night or ready to drink and hang out because the kitchen is too small.

I'll be brief and try not to pimp my new job too hard; I work at the Lido Restaurant at the Dolphin Bay Resort in Shell Beach. It's pretty spendy because we are in the resort, but the five-course chef's tasting dinner is a pretty good deal and too much food. We have a good menu with a range of flavors kept pretty simple.

If anyone tells you there is any good mexican food around here they are probably lying.

There are probably many other good restaurants for you to try but that's what springs to mind.

If you want to go to Hearst Castle, make sure you make an appointment for the actual tour, my dad and I found out too late that without tickets in advance you can just hang out at the museum and watch people get on the bus to the actual castle, then watch a movie about building the castle and drive home.

As for other activities, like I said I'm kind of a homebody, if I do anything it's usually a day at a beach, or going out drinking in downtown slo. You aren't technically allowed to drink on any of the public beaches here but if you dont have glass containers and aren't an rear end in a top hat your chances of getting ticketed are only medium. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! Last time we were there we actually stayed in Cambria, and liked it. Does that mean we're weird? :P

It's not a bad place or anything but I used to run a taco stand at that farmer's market and it was always a bizarre mix of the 60 year old hippies who live there and the douchebag socal tourists who rent/timeshare houses there. In all honesty I've really pretty much only been to the farmers market. I've heard a lot of people say it's a "cute little town" but that's not the hugest draw for me in general.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone wanna come to a wedding?

Last minute droppers are the worst kind of people.

whats the bridesmaid situation like

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I saw a commercial for avocados the other day during some sport event where the premise was that the sports referee jumped out of the tv to yell at the dude because he didn't bring home avocados to put on the hot dogs. who the gently caress puts avocado on hot dogs?

edit: I'm not saying i think it would be super bad or disgusting but is that a common thing somewhere? that is not an intuitive use of an avocado for me

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 13, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Tried to PM you, but you no has PM's. We would like to dine at yo place sometime this week, tasting menu. When are you working? Should I get reservations through you or via opentable/whatever?

yeah no PMs, sorry. If you want to hit me up I'm bigwoodkenny at gmail but I'm kind of bad about checking it. if youre on facebook my gmail is my name. I don't have any special clout (my bad if i made you think i was chef or anything im a line cook) so just making a reservation on the phone or opentable is fine. The tasting menu is always available at dinner but if you let me know when youre coming in or let your server know youre my friend from the internet we can usually sneak in some extra little somethings. I work tuesday-saturday nights, if youre down to make a day of it we do a wine tasting thing on tuesdays during happy hour, different local wineries come out and pour tastes of a bunch of their wines and you get a free mini pizza and live music on the oceanside patio, iirc it starts at 430

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

What's going on with NICSA? I thought it was supposed to be one dish and a simple theme, to encourage posters from all over the forums to join in with GWS.

The curry ICSA is a great example of something that is simple, but gives full vent to people's creative ability, whereas the current NICSA seems needlessly restrictive, again.

how is "be inspired by something" an extraordinary or esoteric challenge? I agree the rainbow challenge was out there and weird, but these rules don't restrict the cooking whatsoever, you could probably pick out a movie that fits whatever you made afterwards. honestly the curry one is more restrictive imo... you have to make everything taste like curry

plus, for someone who doesn't regularly cook at home, scenes in movies are probably better sources of food ideas/memories/inspiration than their own experiences.

I actually think this nicsa is really awesome.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
i hope everything we send you is as pretty as your food pictures :ohdear:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Thanks man, glad to hear it. I wanted to sneak out and say hi but it's hard to catch a break sometimes. Glad you enjoyed everything! I don't know how long you and gravette will be in town for but if you'll still be here sun/mon or are into late night we could grab a drink or lunch or something. I live on the edge of town in slo, pretty much adjacent to edna valley.

I don't want to be syrupy or creepy and I don't really hang out/chat with the GWS superstar club often but your food photos are awesome and definitely were/are an inspiration to me on my cooking journey from less than four years ago when everything in my repertoire had "instant" in it to now when I'm working the hot line in a four-star resort. It really makes me feel good that you came in and had an awesome meal.

edit: also the expression on your server's face when she came back to tell me my friend "gravity" was here was pretty priceless

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
why is everyone grossed out by smooth borscht? I thought it was supposed to be smooth and velvety in the first place. I've only made it on my own without a real recipe reference though

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Now if I can just get someone to sell me wine by the keg we will be all set.
some places around here (central coast CA) do pony kegs of wine. I'm not sure what the status on shipping them is

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ive been watching Ramsay's Best Restaurant on Netflix, it's pretty awesome (and ive seen all the kitchen nightmares eight times). Nice to watch people not gently caress up horrendously. Also nice to watch Ramsay loving REAM OUT foh at these places.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I avoid this of course, and usually it is a nervous habit on my part, as after it gets sliced, its done well enough and I take it directly off to mitigate loss-of-juice.

actually this isn't really true; pretty much all meats benefit from being rested between cooking and slicing, they will be more tender juicy and flavorful if you wait a few minutes before slicing. Stabbing with a thermometer really does the same thing, just not as much.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

ok, so does anyone know?

nitrate salt is used in curing meats, and it does keep them pink. What exactly are you doing with your foie? the only time i've used nitrate salt is on the outside of a pork belly for pancetta or the outside of a duck breast for prosciutto, and the pink salt was something like 1:25 in the mixture of sugar, regular salt and seasonings. Are you curing a liver? I've never heard of/seen that before.

we also used to do a smoked foie terrine where we brined balls of foie somewhere between the size of golf and tennis balls, rolled them in coriander and black pepper and smoked them for ~10 mins, then put all the balls in a loaf pan and weighted it to get it into a loaf shape and to push out all of the fat. when you sliced it it was still pretty pink inside without any special salts, just from only smoking it to MR

M42 posted:

I'm making duck for thanksgiving. I don't traditionally do anything huge/elaborate, just main course and dessert. I figure duck, some kind of potatoes, some kind of vinegary slaw, and probably lingonberry jam. That's literally how far my plan's been worked out. Should I glaze the duck or just go with some salt and pepper? Anyone have a favourite slaw-type thing that goes with duck? This is my first time cooking for a holiday on my own (well, with my bf and without my parents). :ohdear:

I just did duck for my early thanksgiving. Roasting a whole duck will be substantially more delicious than roasting any other whole bird. That said, if you're feeling ambitious I encourage you to break it down the night before. Then you can roast the breasts to get the perfect medium rare that duck deserves, make stock from the carcass for the most amazing gravy ever, and braise/confit the legs for delicious fatty shredded meat. For your sides, I really like brussels sprouts, you can shred them raw for slaw with carrots, and mix in some other types of cabbage too if you want. They'll take either a creamy traditional coleslaw dressing for just a good vinaigrette, I usually go asian-y with sesame seeds and rice wine vinegar and citrus and ginger, sometimes I shred some sushi nori into it also.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

NosmoKing posted:

Yes, I am at my mother in laws place!

it wouldn't be murder. her soul is already dead.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
what about reading that thread made you think going to culinary school was a necessary step in your cooking career?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
whenever i made artisan bread i do it in animal skins, to a loud loop of ambient noise from a construction site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So, Alton Brown posted a pic on his FB saying "real" Kobe Beef is now "legal" in the US.

Why would "real" and "legal" be in quotation marks?

Because the United States doesnt recognize foreign countries copyright laws, so legally words like champagne snd kobe beef don't have any legal meaning here. Until aug 2012 it was literally illegal to import actual Kobe beef at all