Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The woman and I are going through a similar thing as the two couples we used to hang out with the most both just moved out of town. It is kinda annoying. It also doen't help that most of my friends are freelancer so any plans made with them are shaky as they need to take gigs if they are offered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Halalelujah posted:

That is terrible. Make them drink malort.

I managed to get this ballerina's phone number last night while drinking alone at the bar! She was wearing trashy sweats and eating chicken tenders with a vodka tonic so all in all a pretty sharp lady. (And she's a ballerina!)

The are all inherently broken in some way from bring yelled at their entire childhood. They also look weird naked.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
God, you can smell the smug coming off of there through your monitor.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Experto Crede posted:

A good friend of mine lives with them but doesn't participate in the nakedness.

Please have him/her to inform the girl that 1)if you are going to dye your hair you need to keep up with it or you look like a 16yo retard 2)I cranked one to her picture s this afternoon while a little drunk.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Experto Crede posted:

They're all militant feminists too, so I think I'll avoid mentioning that...

Which is how I could look past the bad dye job and get er dun.

Putting posed naked pictures of yourself on the internet as some from of empowerment is complety retarded. Your o so brave shattering of social norms doesn't impress or even really interest anyone, live your life how you see fit but don't expect anyone to care. I hang around the house naked all the damm time but only rarely feel the need to post pictures of on the internet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Daeren posted:

You can get a bunch of stuff in your diet that'll make you fat as gently caress while still remaining totally vegan. For instance, deep fried peanut butter? Vegan. Those honey bun things in vending machines that each have around 100% of your daily recommended saturated fat? Vegan.

Edit: technically those honey bun things might not count if people count honey as non-vegan, but I knew a ton of vegans who said honey and only honey didn't count for some reason :psyduck:

Bees are jerks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TerryLennox posted:

Please tell me your user name is a Chandler reference. Please.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wroughtirony posted:

I have the stupidest apartment ever. It has a fire suppression system above the range, but it's not automatic, you have to pull a pin to activate it by hand. Where is the pin? Directly above the stovetop.

I cannot imagine a single situation where I would want to use a fire extinguisher on my range when I would not burn my entire arm reaching into the cabinet for the pin.

Use a piece of string and a small dumbbell to turn it into a deadman's switch. You can cook with one hand and hold the weight in the other. Or balance it on your head.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Halalelujah posted:

I find that in the boonies, the classier sounding the hotel, the more likely it is to charge by the hour and have sheets that sound like rice krispies when you sit on them.

Holiday Inns aren't too bad, and the most important thing is consolidating your hotel points in a single chain.

edit: Just saw it is a Hilton chain, go for that.

Even though I travel pretty often and used to travel every weekend, I have never signed up for Hotel/Airline points and poo poo.

It is a perfect marriage of dumb and lazy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A chicken salad sandwich can be nice while you're watching a Dodgers game on your couch, but I wouldn't order one at a restaurant.

Good chicken salad can compete with anything. Sadly it usually sucks.

EDIT: why do I get so mad about chili? I don't really care about most poo poo.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 29, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Other then the very low pay, that really doesn't seem that bad, like I am sure that meatpacking plant guys would kill for that poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

"It could be worse" is not sufficient justification for terrible working conditions. Ever.

Eh, my job I have to be 30m early, get yelled at, have to move loving quickly, lift stuff, am in constant danger of getting crushed or run-over, and if you are new the slightest gently caress up gets you sent home after 4 hours. I go home filthy, sour and 3/4 of the time, bleeding. I just usually get paid enough that it doesn't matter.

It is called work and you wouldn't go if you didn't have to, there is nothing that says it has to be fun, just not unusually dangerous.

This smugness aside, I love my job in part because it is so rough, I often work with great people and it is really satisfyingly seeing how fast you can push yourself.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wroughtirony posted:

What if you didn't love your job and it was simply the best money you could make to keep your kids from going hungry?

I've chosen a difficult, sometimes insane career path too, but I chose it, and I have upward mobility. These companies are skating millimeters from violating labor laws and they're exploiting a desperate, disposable workforce to make shittons of money. Fun fact- if you're fired, you are ineligible for unemployment.

Then I would be pretty happy I wasn't starving? Like, this is just a really lovely job, not some workhouse deathcamp. I guess I have low standards but unless you are actually abusing or endangering people, there isnt really any moral requirement to treat them nicely. It really, as no real skill requiring jobs go, isn't that bad.

I will also admit some bias in that I used to have to supervise large work crews of guys from LaborReady and other low tier day labor companies. God knows I am not the smartest dude out there but so many of these guys are so loving dense that I sortta understand the urge to treat them like dim robots.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I try to treat others in as kinda a manner as it can. I just don't think I have the right to hold anyone else to any standard greater then "not willfully hurting others".

Pretty much the history of everyone everywhere doesn't really encourage the idea that people are any good at all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
gently caress history, right now I am betting a huge majority of the people in the world would love a nice indoor packing warehouse job. If showing up on time and working quickly is too hard for some maybe they should gratefully step aside and let some other unemployed guy have a chance.

I really have had a ton of dealings with unskilled labor people and it is amazing t he level of micro management it takes to keep things going well. I have driven guys to their PO meetings, given them a ton of slack when life poo poo poops up, and done everything I can to help them do well. But there will come a point where if you become too much trouble to manage you are going to be replaced.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

gently caress it let's do circumcision chat.

I'm glad my parents didn't mutilate my dick when I was born, how does it feel you loving frankencocks.

:smug:

I was pretty bummed about it, but then I got some NWS implants NWS to make up for it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

Aside from feeling physically ill at the way some folk view their fellow humans, what else should I be reading? It never occurred to me that the online fulfilment happens in such high-stress conditions. I would have thought it was automated or something. I don't know /why/ I thought this, but there you go.

Um, there are like millions of jobs that are super loving stressful, this is why it is called "work" and one has to be paid in order to do it. Where are these "everything is chill, just get it done when you can" factories you guys seem to know about?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Please explain your plan for Happiness for everyone and no yelling fun time. I'm sure there is some utopian plan that hasn't been tried yet.

Being poor has always sucked but in general it sucks less now. The entirety of human history argues against the end of a have/have not system and until someone figures out a way to change it could be said that having to work for $11 an hour in a warehouse in a first world country really aint that bad.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

No one's arguing that they have a great solution that can be implemented immediately, or that things aren't vastly better than they were in the past. But improvement in working conditions happened because people were not content with the status quo; you seem to be arguing that it's pointless to get upset and work towards change unless you can do it all in one go. That's a really short-sighted and frankly dumb position.

"It's better than it was before" is a ridiculous justification for not wanting things to improve further.

Ok, so how, in this specific situation, can you make things better while still letting a company offer near instantaneous shipping of so much stuff sold so cheaply? If you pay the workers more or slow stuff down, the business model the created the jobs goes away.

The conditions in that articular are a far cry from actual exploitative working conditions and really not that bad considering the job takes no real skill other then showing up on time and walking fast?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good old lolbertarianism rears it's shaggy head once again.

Suggestions to make things better?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable Melange posted:

Get off the internet and have a drink with your loved ones?

Good point, I'm out. If you guys ever get your class war started let me know, I have a closet full of guns and bet I could build a good barricade.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

NosmoKing posted:

Thanks!

After doing the job I was hired for, two other guy's full time jobs, and producing nearly twice as much with half the staff, (and cross training the staff so they are more interchangeable now) I'm rewarded!

(nicely rewarded too).

Rich enough to adopt me yet? My gun oiling and beer fetching skills are second to none.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

So Sunday night/Monday morning there was an earthquake essentially directly below my house. It was only 4.0 but it woke everybody up. The worst part was when it was going and I was just thinking "gently caress me I hope this stops soon."

West Coast 4 Lyfe.

I have been through two earthquakes and missed both of them. The first was in SF on Halloween many years ago, I was so loving loaded I refused to get out of bed and seek shelter, I was convinced my friend was being a jerk and shaking hte bed to get me to go out and drink more.

The second was the quake in DC this year. I was working a huge outdoor even on the national mall and was driving around in a golf cat with bad shocks the entire time and didn't even notice it. I only found out when my radio went crazy with people talking about it. Again, I thought they were kidding when they wanted to stop work and wait for aftershocks, I refused to believe them until one of the park rangers got on and told me to shut up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Halalelujah posted:

I wonder if any of us would encourage someone to also enter our respective lines of work. I know I wouldn't.

Doing a few years as a stagehand is a great way to spend part of your 20s. I thought I wanted to get out of it when I got older but that didn't happen.

Posting this standing in a ally waiting to get to work. I was here at 8am and had to drive back. I would love this job 100% but for all the driving.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Cavenagh posted:

That's what I've been doing for nigh on twenty years. I've done other jobs, but keep getting dragged back into the theatre.

I shifted over to production management but realized I missed pushing boxes so now I am trying to freelance at both but it seems to work out that now I never sleep.

I am pleased as poo poo that I have been able to jump right back into it, but the woman, who never lived with me when I was gigging, seems pretty dismayed with my coming home at 2:30am all hyper and ready to booze it up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No vinegar? Nothing made with vinegar? No kraut? No kimchee? Nothing acidic at all?

I dated a girl for a while who had some stomach issue where she couldn't have anything acidic. It was some thing where her stomach produced way too much acid and something with her esophageal sphincter.

She was a food nut and was constantly making her self sick eating stuff that she shouldn't. Girl did a lot of vomiting.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Cast iron pan raped my Pa, killed my Ma.

While drunk on fancy scotch.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

4realz ballaz stocked up on the real 4 loco before the feds got to them.

Wiggles just balls too hard.

I have a singe can in my fridge that I plan on keeping forever, or until I am on a tear and it is the last booze left in the house.

Also HighLife is the best cheap beer.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
We did a blind taste test of cheap beers (PBR, HighLife, Bud, Natty Bo, Coors) and HL was the clear winner. It has a much cleaner finish then the rest and actually has some flavor to it. We did also note it is the fizzyest, as fits it's claim to be the champaign of beers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

:spergin:

And I bet the lady in the moon is really a dude.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I do use my two cast iron pans for almost everything as they are really really non stick and having to hand wash them reduces the temptation to clutter up the sink as I am lazy as poo poo.

I have some cheaper allclad pans but they both are warped from someone (not me) taking them off the burner and sticking them under cold water. I assume there is no way to correct this?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Natty Bo is unremarkable other then having a cool can. Having lived in Bmore I have drunk oceans of the stuff.

Also Full Sail Session Black is not cheap beer. It is cheap for decent beer but anything over $1 a bottle anit cheap. I have most of a 12 pack kicking around here, I like it but I think I like Shriner Black better.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 13, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Um, I think the fact that it gets you drunk without tasting completely disgusting at 21 cents per can was pretty remarkable.

Cheap beer doesn't taste bad, just really mild and kinda meh. Bad beer (National Ice, Beast, non-Old English malt liquor, Shlitz, etc) is stuff that actively tastes bad.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys please say a little prayer for me, a company I have worked for might be doing some mussel related beer promo party this summer. Being able to sit backstage and gouger on mussels might be actually what is best in life.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I rate the tit-gently caress above the handjob by a good margin. It is most useful in the morning when one is too hungover for oral and is out of condoms.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The cheapest beer I can find is Genny cream ale for $14 a 30 pack.

I will usually be willing to spend the few dollars more and get HighLife. My old housemates and I used to keep a 30 Pack in the downstairs fridge to only be opened in a "beer emergency" and the rule was that even if you only took one beer you had to buy a new 30 pack the next day. That beer saved many an impromptu party.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
When thrusting away at a lady's tits it is assumed you will be reaching back and fingering her at the same time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
It is also polite to not make her support your weight.

And to bring her a warm washcloth after.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying, as the world of nasty sex acts go, tit loving is pretty tame.

This girl I was dating read in Cosmo or whatever an article that suggested arm-pit humping as a "safe sex alternative". Of course we tried it and it was pretty much impossible to keep an erection with all the laughing and screaming. The same thing happened when we tried using a female condom, but I think the puppet show was what ruined that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I would venture to say that the armpit tends to be a more ticklish area then the tit.

Also did a tit-fucker like break into your car or kill your dog or something?