Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.

Kenning posted:

Welcome to the thread, please tell us about your fluids/other people's fluids you have experienced.

Fisting stories or GTFO.

I kid. Welcome aboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Exactly. My wife has a Kindle, but after seeing that the books she wants are generally $10-12 each for the electronic versions, she usually just hangs out at the Sally Ann or thrift stores and grabs what she wants for like a buck and a half each. It's silly.

I'd support a pricing scheme for e-books that runs from say $3.99 for new release paperbacks to $7.99 for new release hardcovers. There's no reason for an $11 paperback to cost $9.99 in digital format.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

i shoot friendlies posted:

I will take crab any day over lobster. I will take most any seafood over lobster.

This, right here.

To be fair, my wife and I had a great lobster dinner in Jamaica, at a place where the tables were right on the beach (not on a deck, in the sand about 10 feet from the ocean), and paid a paltry $35 for a full meal. Beause I'm sure the catch was about as fresh as imaginable, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I can't say I've ever really enjoyed lobster before or since, because as has been mentioned already, crab or shrimp/prawns simply taste SO much better.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Having been to North Dakota more times than I'd care to admit or remember, I have no doubts whatsoever that Olive Garden is, indeed, the best restaurant in Grand Forks. When your main competition is Buffalo Wild Wings and Shakey's Pizza, well duh.

That being said, holy poo poo do I miss Shakey's Pizza.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

i shoot friendlies posted:

Come on, you can't really believe this is a real article. I hire people like this for my business on a regular basis. At least 50% (more like 95% in small markets) of the articles in every newspaper life or travel or general interest section are written by people like this.

Here is how it works. The business owner, in this case Olive Garden, hires a local "public relations" person. That local person knows the editors and writers (if any) for the local papers. The PR person writes up an article with the tone of "Hey, look at this new business. Let me tell you about it!". I reality it is a big advertisement. They give it to the papers, and the papers put their writers names on the articles and publish them.

Do you really think some small town paper in Idaho or Nebraska has the resources for all those reviews? No chance. I (and my business) have appeared in several major NE papers and trade magazines, all under the guise of general interest articles. It cost a couple grand to get a blitz like this, but a good PR person knows how to write articles and coordinate so you hit 3 or 4 papers and journals all at once, generating a lot of publicity.

They also know how to write articles that are not so transparent. Look at the last couple paragraphs starting with "There’s a homemade soup...". This sounds like it is right from OG's website or PR people.
Actually, it would seem that Ms. Hagerty has been trolling us all, and we didn't even know it.

quote:

But the best part about this review comes from some background information dug up by intrepid Duluth News reporter Brandon Stahl. In the course of verifying that this was, in fact, a real review, he uncovered something wonderfully upper-Midwestern. First, read the full review. Done that? Great. Now, get this—that was not a positive review of The Olive Garden.

Stahl talked to a former Grand Forks Herald editor who says, "By the way, [Marilyn Hagerty's] regular readers will recognize that as a fairly negative review since she spent a lot more time on the ambience than the food."

Cultural context: It's the difference between a glowing review, and a passive-aggressively negative one.

Well played, Mariyn. :golfclap:

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

So I made bacon jam today. Not nearly as goony as you'd think, and still tasty as all hell.

A++ would eat again. And again.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Psh, everyone knows the real deal is Stagg chili with cubes of Velveeta.

Post recipe or GTFO

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Also, here's what the government of Canada (It's a real country) has to say about garlic in oil:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/garlic-ail-eng.php

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Darval posted:

Dude you need to train your cat, it's getting cat hair on your brand new couch

Also, another thing for the mindphlux hatelist: flour in mustard

Things currently not on the mindphlux hatelist:
Mindphlux
Prok's mom (mondays and wednesdays)
Fire

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

So I bought a food truck.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

PirateWench posted:

^ I am so unbelievably jealous. An already established truck or are you going to have to outfit it yourself?

It's already fit out. It's just a fry truck, but potatoes are a remarkably high profit item, so I'm all for that.

It's a simple enough operation, two huge fryers, a marine cooler for cans of pop, a fry cutter and the necessary health department stuff. I bought it a few weeks ago, but I've been way too busy moving the family and doing legal stuff to actually get it running.

I should be operating in a week or so. Pics will be forthcoming. It needs a lot of paint but thankfully my father in law is a paint and body man.

Also, Lord of the Fries. Look for me on fb, twitter, and via my indiegogo campaign. I'll post full links if the mods say it's okay.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

So, have I missed anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

I like to think I eat all the meat dino doesn't.

Except Puppy. :pervert: