Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
If you folks who stick with it could report to the thread whether the gambling/call-ins continue, that would be great. Them gambling for the whole pot made it seem like it might be done, but the way Jimmy was talking about the folks who didn't like it left it kind of in the air.

Did a lot of people hate stupid question of the week? It seemed like that got much more diverse conversations started than "Guess A Number" could, and they would just skip it if they had a good guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah, I'll probably watch a bunch since I'm not working today and I actually remembered it was happening this year.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Oh Jesus it took me a minute to figure out what was going on here.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I wish this Zach Galifinakis ever showed up to his Comedy Bang Bang appearances, this is amazing.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah, it's been going great all day and then suddenly it just got lovely and stuttery.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I was really hoping PFT would stick his head out the window with a question when Scott was on, but it was still great anyway.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

And what was the thing in the envelope? I ran out of steam at Dave Holmes and missed the end.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I liked this week's show a lot. Jimmy's rant was great, and Seth Morris was a really good guest. Never Not Funny was definitely the last place I ever expected to hear a discussion on bitcoins.

Also, did anyone else get a survey from NNF this week? It asked how long I've been subscribed and whether I would stay subscribed if the show was free every week with video plus an extra show per week for subscribers. That could be really good for the show, it's hard to recommend it to people knowing they'll have to shell out $25 to listen. Not that that's a lot of money to spend, but it's hard to get people interested in any podcasts in the first place.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah I don't really care about the video but an extra show a week would be great.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I love Todd Glass and Jimmy together :allears:
What a great episode.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah, and being able to buy a year at a time will be nice. Awesome change.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I wasn't expecting guests in the extra episodes so seeing Dave Holmes was a nice surprise. I love that it comes out Sunday night as well, I didn't have any podcasts that came out on the weekend prior to this.

Also I've been listening to old seasons and it's really made me miss Dan Katz. They gave him poo poo on the old shows but it is funny how fast he was at looking things up. Besides that he was also just a silly guy in a way Garon isn't, not that I have anything against Garon.

And speaking of old shows, I'm glad they've gotten away from the whole "Never Not Funny Curse" thing like Matt mentioned in the Player's Club ep. Jimmy references 20 obscure people from the 70s per episode so it's not that crazy when one of the ones he talked about happens to die afterwards.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

redz posted:

So Jimmy mentioned last week that he was going to be on an episode of Maron and this week he reveal's he is shooting a pilot?! I want Jimmy Pardo on my television. On the Conan stage too, maybe it'll be a Conaco production, seems like that would have a better chance of making it.

Apparently he mentioned it on a live episode but I guess I haven't listened to it yet.

On the Primo episode he mentioned that it was a Conaco production. I really hope it's something great!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah honestly hearing how Matt got in to the comedy scene is kind of amazing to me because he really was doing something dumb and unnecessary but when the comedians confronted him about it they seem to have all gone "Oh, well, he's a nice enough guy I guess".

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

It took him a while to get there though. He's painful in season 1 and through part of season 2. It was really great to hear him come into his own, and now I can't imagine the show without him.

Yeah, I relistened to season 1 recently and he definitely earned his early reputation for tossing out clunkers. It was fun to hear though compared to how he is today.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Brock Samson posted:

Made me angry. They led the way for you old man!

I guess in a way since UYD dropped their first episode 2 months earlier, but this isn't one of the comedy podcast bandwagon shows.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Oops, my bad.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah, when they were reacting to Jimmy before he brought them in I thought it might be a pretty great appearance because they seemed to be pretty fun, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Scott Aukerman ep :woop:

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yesssssss.

Wait how are you seeing this? Do playa's club members get them early or something?

I do use the player's club feed, I just happened to refresh my podcast listings at the right time.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I can't help but feel like Jimmy is way off track on his Chicago podcast plan. The idea of him doing it with an even bigger Chicago nerd instead of a comedian or friend sounds really boring, even though Jimmy is a funny guy. Rich Sommer was totally down and I think he'd be good, or basically any other NNF regular.
But the real gem was that General Hospital podcast idea. That would be amazing.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

My guess is that Jimmy has only heard the one episode he was on where they weren't really talking about a specific album, so he assumed they must really get into it on the album episodes of YTU2TM, rather than the whole thing just being a vehicle for Adam and Scott to shoot the poo poo and be silly.
Or else he knows and yeah he just wants to do a more serious thing. The name is the part they definitely got right though.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

same, that one was rough

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Wow Jesse Thorn, that is a crazy look you've got going
I have to imagine Jimmy mentions it at some point

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Todd Glass could be a good bet for Sunday since his book comes out on Tuesday
edit: skipping this one is a bad call Rip, Oliver is in the studio

Greggy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 29, 2014

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Jimmy likes doing the impression because he thinks the guy's voice is ridiculous. I guess there's been a lot of pushback from fans on it, probably at least partly because of how obscure it is. I've definitely never heard the real guy before.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I assumed the pilot hadn't been picked up since we hadn't heard anything about it, but it's sad to hear it. I wasn't very excited about the format of the show though, so hopefully this will leave Jimmy open for a project that he fits better.
Or worst case scenario I guess he can just continue being an extremely successful stand up comedian with one of the only podcasts people actually pay for.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Right, thats why I posted about it

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Season 1-13 archives just went up on Howl, that's a pretty cheap way to listen to the back catalog.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Not Operator posted:

I'm curious to see if his weird "president surname" compulsion carries over.

ha yeah i was thinking about that too.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

yeah, I've bought every season of NNF except the last 2 and I don't even think I would consider it a podcast I actually like any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

It has become way more guest dependent to me now than it had been in the past. I just never subscribe to the players club any more and get by on the earwolf feed, and just dip in if I don't know the guest or if it's someone good.