Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Just heard Scott Aukerman and Jimmy's rendition of 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' for the first time on Scott's tumblr and it's superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Any regular listener to Mike Schmidt's podcast would agree that, as funny as he is, he would be a VERY difficult person to be friends with.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Some people, but not a lot, I guess?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Jesus. I'm listening to the latest episode and they find out about the Boston bombing mid-show.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Holy poo poo, the string of phone calls on the Jesse Thorn episode is hilarious.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I love it when Aukerman goes super dirty just to upset Jimmy.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
This is a show I listen to every episode of regardless of the guest. There definitely were a few down episodes this season but I thought it was fine overall. The gambling thing did get a bit old and the phone calls were up and down, but I get the impression from the last few episodes that they aren't bringing back the gambling bit next season. I hope I'm right.

Edit:

caligulamprey posted:

Or maybe booking Keith Stubbs wasn't the best idea.
(I can't remember a single thing about the Keith Stubbs episode)
I honestly just had to look that up to see if Keith Stubbs was the name of a guest from this season. I guess he didn't leave much of an impression. Don't remember who that is at all.

tnimark fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 9, 2013

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Greggy posted:

If you folks who stick with it could report to the thread whether the gambling/call-ins continue, that would be great. Them gambling for the whole pot made it seem like it might be done, but the way Jimmy was talking about the folks who didn't like it left it kind of in the air.

There were no call-ins, but they did some betting. It wasn't betting on random numbers, it was on a subject that came up naturally. When Jimmy declared they were betting, Matt said something like 'ugh, we're betting? I though we were dropping this'. It doesn't really take up much of the episode. They talk about making a bet, then the conversation veers off onto other things for a long time before they get back to it.

It was a really great episode. Jen Kirkman was super funny.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I dunno, 'Guy auditioning for the Tide commercial' was pretty great too. Tough call.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Beautiful.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Goddamn Jimmy is looking rough in this episode. I hope he's okay in time for the Pardcast-a-thon tomorrow. :ohdear: How far ahead of time do they record these?

They used to record a few at a time, but not anymore. As of this season they record them a couple of days before release. Pardcast-a-thon could be a tough night for him.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
How far in did you get? It was still a funny episode, even with the voice.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I didn't get to see it live, but I noticed on the Twitter updates the amount jumped very quickly from ~$50,000 to ~$100,000. Did they have somebody offer to match the total again like last year or was there just a very large donation at one point?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Big changes at NNF! Announced on the new episode with Scott Aukerman.

From the website: 'You heard right, folks: Never Not Funny is going free! Starting on January 30th, the full audio of every episode will be available for free via Earwolf, our free feed, iTunes and wherever else podcasts are found.

For fans who want more, we're introducing The Never Not Funny Players Club. When you subscribe to the Players Club, you get full video of every episode, a second weekly episode in both audio and video formats, plus exclusive bonus content like NNF live show audio! Players Club membership is $29.99 for six months, $49.99 for the year. Sign up now and for $99.99 you get a full year, plus an exclusive Players Club T-shirt and membership card. To join the Players Club, pick your package below!'

Pretty happy about this to be honest. I'll definitely stay subscribed for the extra weekly episode.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It wouldn't be that difficult for them to drop the free episode into the Players Club feed would it? Not a big deal, just kind of annoying to have two separate feeds.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Riptor posted:

Just got through on the phone to what I assume was a Players Club episode being recorded - I was clearly one of the middle callers because even though on Twitter they were offering that you could win a book (maybe with Jen Kirkman?) they didn't even get into that with me. Still hilarious.

Which caller were you?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Radio Talmudist posted:

Did anyone think that last episode with Adam Scott was funny....but a little awkward? Adam seemed rather unenergetic. Still a good episode.

Yeah I got that too. I still liked it but Adam Scott definitely seemed a little disengaged. I've heard him on enough podcasts to know he's funny, so I'm guessing they just got him on a bad day.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Radio Talmudist posted:

I keep hearing about this story but I don't know what live ep it comes from, does someone know the season and episode?

I'm almost certain it's from a live episoide from MaxFunCon.

Found it! Live from MaxFunCon 2010. It's a Season 7 Primo bonus episode.

http://pardcast.com/premiumGuest.php?season=season7

tnimark fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 25, 2014

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah the episode was pretty amazing. But when I listened to it I didn't know what was coming, so ymmv.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I'm 10 minutes into the guest portion of the new Players Club episode and these two guys have been just been complaining about how hard it is to be in the friendzone. The subject needs to change or this is going to be unbearable.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Wait how are you seeing this? Do playa's club members get them early or something?

Post from NNF on Facebook.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
ASMR was on the Adam Ferrara episode I think.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Jesse Thorn is pretty good though.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It only originated like 4 or 5 episodes ago, so if you've only listened this season, you know the whole story.

Edit: Oh unless you aren't a Players Club listener. It isn't much of a story. Jimmy just mentioned that he heard Mad Dog on the radio and thought he was ridiculous or something. Then he impersonated his voice for a long time and some listeners hated it.

Edit 2: beaten

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Jimmy having to read an ad for Kevin Smith's movie without being able to mock it made me feel a little bad for him.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Jimmy let slip recently that that his step-siblings are also his cousins, I guess meaning Jimmy's dad left his mother for her sister? Definitely didn't seem like a bit because he sounded uncomfortable and quickly changed the subject. I've listened to every NNF and I don't recall this ever coming up before. Has it? Just kinda curious. I vaguely remember him in the past saying that he doesn't like to talk about his family (parents and siblings) on the podcast and this would explain why.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
His name is John Butler. He's an Irish writer/filmmaker. Don't know anything about the book but I'm sure it's easy to find now you have the name.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I haven't listened to the ep yet so I don't know if there's more context, but I know Jimmy has mentioned not liking that quasi-novelty style of music that artists like Ben Folds and They Might Be Giants do sometimes. It's probably just that.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I really like Matt Belknap and this newly opened floodgate of Matt bashing is upsetting to me.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I really like the show and I listen to every ep (including Players Club). Jimmy is very funny and I guess I've gotten into a groove where I enjoy his dynamic with everyone else in the room. Like, Elliott is a huge dork, but when he speaks it's always followed by Jimmy making GBS threads on him in a hilarious way, so I'm all for it.

It can occasionally get a little much even for me when they get bogged down in talking about a band from the 80s Jimmy likes, but even then there's usually enough humour there that I'm still into it.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Brock Samson posted:

he also sent them ORIGINAL SONGS in case THEY WANTED TO loving BUY THEM

I can't believe they didn't make more of this. It's amazing.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah he said it and they kind of skipped over it. I wonder if nobody else in the room caught what he was saying.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Steven Weber describing his mother's crush on George Clooney by saying she has 'Clooney on the clit' was pretty great.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Two extremely delightful moments from the recent Kulap episode:

- Jimmy quoting Harris' smoking section joke.
- Kulap completely melting down during her first attempt at giving clues in Sevens.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I thought is was adorable when Amber Rose found out Jimmy likes 80s music and she recommended the Wedding Singer soundtrack.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Nah I thought she was charming and likeable.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
No issues with mine.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
The latest episode was kind of unsettling to listen to. Recorded on the morning of election day and they're doing the usual joking around about a Trump victory like it's a crazy thing that is very unlikely to happen.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Steve Dahl is really unlikeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I'm 10 minutes into today's episode and it's already the best episode of all time.