Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

FitFortDanga posted:

Maybe Jimmy doesn't like Bill Burr? I think Burr is funny but he seems like kind of a douchebag.

I think he's been mentioned on the podcast before and he had nice things to say about him. Maybe he just thinks it wouldn't work?

And speaking of listening to old episodes, I went through 3 to 10 again over the last few months and it only just occurred to me how insufferable Jimmy Dore and Paul Gilmartin can be. Paul can be fine when Jimmy calls him out on his pompousness, but man all of Dore's appearances are as bad as Fitzsimmons' was. I still wonder if Todd Glass left Comedy and Everything Else because he couldn't put up with him anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

"Insufferable" is the exact word I would use to describe Jimmy Dore. Post-Todd CAEE is downright unlistenable.

I remember trying to listen to CAEE because I loved Todd Glass on NNF, and the entire time feeling like Dore just constantly sucked all the fun out of the room. I'm glad I'm not alone. I think Pardo once described him as a 14 year old who just discovered USA Today.

The tipping point for me was how he kept arguing with Pardo when they announced they weren't going to allow the use of "human being" on the show anymore. Pardo kept insisting it was because of heartfelt letters he'd received from listeners who wanted to like the show but were having a hard time digesting the content because how often the word was being thrown around, and Dore just kept railing on about how it was censorship and you should be offending your audience and on and on. He's the only guest whose episodes I intend to skip from now on.

He reminds me of a watered down Amazing Atheist- uninformed, knee-jerky, childish, and ultimately damaging to his own causes.

Also, was it true that Dore was mad that Todd Glass didn't come out on his show instead of Marc Maron's? I assumed that was something Pardo said as a joke but if that's true he's pretty vile.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

indigi posted:

I get the sentiment about Dore even though I like him, but Gilmartin?! I love that guy!

He can be hysterical when he's self aware, but man does he get on his high horse when he doesn't have a leg to stand on. His last appearance made me like him a little more when Jimmy called him out on it (Paul giving Jimmy poo poo about his spending, then revealing he blew 75 grand on domain names- "you've got balls making fun of my LeBaron") and he began to open up more about his anxieties. I still get annoyed with his proselytizing in earlier episodes but now that I see where it's coming from I can relate to him. He's the first guy to recognize his own flaws in other people, which if you're not aware that he's aware he's doing it, comes off as obnoxious.

That said, I also can't be mad at the man who elicited "bag of corn, friend!" out of Jimmy. Or was that Graham?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I'm finally catching up on this season. I could listen to Chris Fairbanks do apology scat for hours.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Joe DeRosa is a funny guy but his music opinions seem very "angry kid in high school" level. I would love to hear him talk with Tom Scharpling about how great Zappa/Waits are :twisted:

I was just waiting for Jimmy to say "well aren't you interesting the entire episode.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I haven't listened to NNF in a long time but I remember the first time Greg Fitzsimmons guested, he was such an rear end in a top hat that Jimmy had a one-sided feud with him for YEARS for being so disrespectful. Greg had no idea that he basically poo poo all over Jimmy because he's a self-absorbed lunatic.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I haven't listened to the podcast in a long time but even in the early days the combination of jimmy's legendarily bad temper and pat's inability to take a hint made for some tense moments. I'm surprised it took this long, I'm guessing Jimmy has just gotten too old to want to put up with it anymore.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I think ultimately the problem is the show doesn't doesnt really have a hook these days. Back when I started on season 3, having a podcast with engaging hosts, talented guests, and a mic quality above "the one built into your laptop" was mind blowing. These days, there are hundreds of great podcasts (plenty of which are hosted by stand up comics) and nothing NNF does is particularly amazing or unique anymore.

I suspect the show has failed to age very gracefully too. The numerous personality flaws of Jimmy and crew are less relatable and charming as a 30 year old as they were when I was an impressionable 20-something. Around the time I stopped listening two-ish years ago they were really coming off as weird, emotionally stunted, angry people who just incidentally were funny sometimes and I'm glad I ducked out before the election. Andrew Koenig's suicide was very early into the show's run, but I think his vibe provided a necessary counter balance to the less appealing sides of Jimmy and Matt.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Isn't matt belknap in his 40s with a 10 year old child at this point, good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Riptor posted:

Oh it was all on Elliot's end though

That's on you man